Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,577 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? (13394 Views)

Why Do Women Always Do This (Picture) / 10 Signs Your Girlfriend Or Wife Is An Emotional Bully And Abusive / Why Would A Lady Remain In An Abusive Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Ijeleigbo(m): 8:15pm On Jun 30, 2013
A.) Because of the love they have for their hubby

B.) Because of what the people or the society will
say

C.) Because they are afraid of been alone

D.) Because of their lack of financial independence.

E.) Because of the kids.

Personally i think most of them is because of what
the people and the society will say and because of
their lack of financial independence,(some worry if
they will be able to pay the kids school fee and
stuffs) and some genuinely because of the kids
(because they want them to grow up with both
parent).
What do you guys think?
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jun 30, 2013
F.) because marriage in 9ja is synonymous with happiness, and most would rather "pretend" to be happy to the whole world (while being miserable) instead of being alone.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Ijeleigbo(m): 9:13pm On Jun 30, 2013
MRbrownJAY: F.) because marriage in 9ja is synonymous with happiness, and most would rather "pretend" to be happy to the whole world (while being miserable) instead of being alone.

Being alone isn't a better option either and I'm not a fan of divorce

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 30, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

Being alone isn't a better option either and I'm not a fan of divorce

ALLELUJAH!!!!! if you think that being alone is NOT a better option than being abused, then you sir just answered your own question. if anyone believe that there is a valid reason to stay in an abusive r/ship, then they are living in la la land!
there is NO reason to stay in such evil r/ship, NONE!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by jntyjnty007(f): 10:24pm On Jun 30, 2013
None of what you stated is good enough to stay in an abusive relationship. However, with the physical abuse comes the mental too. For those who have been in this kind of relationship more often or not, it can be very difficult to remove themselves, fear, pure fear. Those who have never been in this kind of disaster area can often claim they would never let it happen and know exactly what to do when it does. Well sadly, many will not be able just to get the hell out that easily, it comes with experience, to be able to remove yourself.

It is nothing to be ashamed of, and does not mean a person is weak, just trapped and needs the right help. Though many people like to rip the shyte out of people who have suffered, it makes them feel good. The cycle of any kind of abuse is very difficult to break.

There are no easy answers. The mind is complex, and to understand women who have been abused, you literally have to put yourself in their shoes.

How would you like to look at your face all battered and bruised, or worst case scenario lose your child during pregnancy because they kicked the life out of you?

All about power.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Exponental(m): 10:30pm On Jun 30, 2013
The wise naija women set themselves free ......those who dont dare lack courage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by jntyjnty007(f): 10:33pm On Jun 30, 2013
None of what you stated is good enough to stay in an abusive relationship. However, with the physical abuse comes the mental too. For those who have been in this kind of relationship more often or not, it can be very difficult to remove themselves, fear, pure fear. Those who have never been in this kind of disaster area can often claim they would never let it happen and know exactly what to do when it does. Well sadly, many will not be able just to get the hell out that easily.

It is nothing to be ashamed of, and does not mean a person is weak, just trapped and needs the right help. Though many people like to rip the shyte out of people who have suffered, it makes them feel good. The cycle of any kind of abuse is very difficult to break.

There are no easy answers. The mind is complex, and to understand women who have been abused, you literally have to put yourself in their shoes.

How would you like to look at your face all battered and bruised, or worst case scenario lose your child during pregnancy because they kicked the life out of you?

I have worked with abused women before and it taught me a lot.

For you men out there who physically abuse women it is your weakness not your strength, a source of false power, that will one day destroy you, and as soon as a woman realises this, she will gladly leave you and restart her life again.

But some men are just too damn brainless to figure that out.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by True2myself24(f): 10:38pm On Jun 30, 2013
This is not a "Nigerian woman" problem, it's universal.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Ijeleigbo(m): 10:44pm On Jun 30, 2013
True2myself24: This is not a "Nigerian woman" problem, it's universal.

True
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by kreamidiva(f): 11:03pm On Jun 30, 2013
Life is to be lived only once and life is too short to waste in an abusive marriage.the energy u put into dat marriage can be channeled into raising ur kids as a single mother.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Obelomo: 4:06am On Jul 01, 2013
I believe it is because finacial stability and they want the stigma that naija will say about being single. It is also happens in America too, escpecially when a woman cannot support herself.
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Nobody: 4:09am On Jul 01, 2013
I guess because there's no return item policy in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Nobody: 4:39am On Jul 01, 2013
The reasons you listed are very possible.
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by lovelydoll: 5:02am On Jul 01, 2013
mostly B.
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Mynd44: 6:22am On Jul 01, 2013
Even with all those reasons, I don't get why a woman would stay.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by k2039: 6:56am On Jul 01, 2013
People remain in abusive marriages mainly because of their extreme stupidity.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 01, 2013
k2039: People remain in abusive marriages mainly because of their extreme stupidity.

You're a bad news bro

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by k2039: 7:26am On Jul 01, 2013
REALITY101:

You're a bad news bro
how so?
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by MrsChima(f): 10:47am On Jul 01, 2013
REALITY101: I guess because there's no return item policy in Nigeria?

This nukka. grin
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by MrsChima(f): 10:49am On Jul 01, 2013
To avoid poverty and public opinions is not a reason to remain with an abuser. Family is important and if they truly care and love you...you won't be alone.

Love does not hurt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Monicasque(f): 9:42am On Jul 04, 2013
girl would meet boy. Fall in love. Give her self to this man even if he is not all that. Most woman are romantics at heart and would do anything to be with the one they love. Guy would see this and be stupid enough to take her for granted.He will neglect his duties as the man and expect the woman to do all and even suck up to him coz he thinks he is God's gift to her.A wise man will understand that a good woman is hard to find and he will want to hold on to this diamond but a fool will take her for granted, the woman will eventually wake up and realise that she has been foolish and been deceiving herself by stayin. Gues what, she will leave him, relocate and go start a new life. She will cry sometimes because the heart is very foolish but she will bounce back and God will bless her with the loves she knows she deserves. Dump the zero and get you a hero. smiley. This sounds like a very beautiful woman i know. Baby you know yourself.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by LabourParty(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
C
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Cholls(m): 3:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
Nobody go beg you before you step out of the r/marriage when you don tire. Guys forget societal mentality na individual thingy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by BBDelta(m): 6:03pm On Jul 04, 2013
Ijele-igbo:
A.) Because of the love they have for their hubby

B.) Because of what the people or the society will
say

C.) Because they are afraid of been alone

D.) Because of their lack of financial independence.

E.) Because of the kids.

Personally i think most of them is because of what
the people and the society will say and because of
their lack of financial independence,(some worry if
they will be able to pay the kids school fee and
stuffs) and some genuinely because of the kids
(because they want them to grow up with both
parent).
What do you guys think?

ANSWER IS IN TWO WORDS: TRADITION & RELIGION.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Odunharry(m): 6:04pm On Jul 04, 2013
probably dy stil care and love their partner.....
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 04, 2013
AFTER BRAGGING TO THEIR FRIENDS
TELLING THEM LIES ABT HOW CARING
THEIR HUSBANDS R HOW CAN THEY NOW TURN AROUND
AND ADMIT THAT THE CARING GUY IS A MONSTER
NA JUST TO SIDDON DEY PUT
ARTIFICIAL SMILE 4 FACE DEY FORM BEING IN LOVE

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Mynd44: 6:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
Odunharry: probably dy stil care and love their partner.....
I doubt......

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by mesther96(f): 6:15pm On Jul 04, 2013
becus they wanna die prematurely!sad
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by freecocoa(f): 6:21pm On Jul 04, 2013
Funny as it may sound, some of these women do love their partners.

I do know a couple of women like that.
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by somegirl1: 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
B, C, E....many women in abusive marriages don't get (enough) financial support from their husbands anyways.
Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
Cos they are suffer heads.
On a serious note, there are many things involved. As a man, I dislike domestic violence.
From experience, the women ll say things like: The bolded are my replies to such statement.
* He (husband) ll change for better. Wait till he kills you.
* I don't want to leave my children. It's when you are alive that you ll remember your children
* I can't leave my hubby cos he's rich. 'I d even prefer to cry in his jeep than to laugh ontop of a poor man's okada'. I ll call people like these overdependent talakanaires! They v turned their husbands to their ATMs. Some are even arranged marriages.
* Some, cos of what the society ll say. You own your life, not the society, family or any yeye sympathizer that can't stop your husband from beating you.
Last Bullet: There's no reason why a woman that's suffering domestic violence should stay & endure. As a Christian, divorce is not easy. But a relationship that want to take one's life should be broken.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? by Ijeleigbo(m): 6:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
grin Finally, I made the front page.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Pastor" Kisses Women's Derrière So They Can Find Husbands (viewer's discretion) / My Four Months Old Baby Is Having Cattarh And Cough / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.