Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,195 members, 7,815,169 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation (7463 Views)

Buhari Phobia: N2.5b Adada Dam Contractor Rushes Back To Site / Enugu Assembly Backs Creation Of Adada State. / We’ll Pull Out Of Adada State Struggle If : –greater Awgu Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by obiem(m): 9:28am On May 15, 2008
I heard early this year reliably that the proposed adada state creation is the process. It was also agreed that one additional state needs to be created to make the equation of state creation balanced. We all know that the north east comprises of 6 states, n/west the same , s/west same , s/south same, north central et al. the imbalance exists in the s/east. I also wish to see the upper house resume delibrations on the constitutional amendment process which was scuffled under Obasanjo as the state creation process is dependent on the this. Talks are fully mature that the new state will be carved out from the present day Imo/ abia state just waiting for the constitutional amendment process to begin, NO TIME IS LATE COS IT'S BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by 4Him1(m): 3:39pm On May 15, 2008
just keep creating states until every man is a state unto himself.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by ow11(m): 5:32pm On May 15, 2008
@poster

since you're looking for equality in number of states to regions then I would suggest the regions are made to be equal in areal extent so the number of states can be justifed/unit sq.Km. or what do you think?
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nobody: 5:29am On May 16, 2008
If Nigeria must give priority to the so-called federal character, then a new state has to be created in the s/east.
Even the northern senators have admitted that it's unfair to have only 5 states in the south east as they are not evenly represented.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by 1luvkipsus: 5:57pm On May 16, 2008
Apa state is a baby that has passed it's nine month period. Apa, a state coming out of present Benue state is most balance needed in this equation.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by udezue(m): 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2008
Anioma state is much needed to be carved out of Delta and parts of Edo state (Igbanke - Igbos). I believe they are saying small parts of Anambra very close to Asaba area will be added to it.

Adada state is also very needed to balance the states in the South and North. Currently he North has 19 and the South 17. Now with the 2 new states it will 19-19.

Or maybe we should just go back to autonomous regions like before.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by ow11(m): 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2008
Fine. have you spared a thought for Bayelsa state with 8 LGA's.Now how is Bayelsa state different from other states with 24 or 44 LGA's. Are the ones with more LGA's better than Bayelsa state?

So how would getting more states in the south make our lives any better?
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by bilymuse: 8:07pm On Jul 20, 2008
Stupid people, all they care about is to create useless state that are not viable, just to get the monthly allocation and share it among themselves.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nigeria17: 8:16pm On Jul 20, 2008
apa state from kogi and benue state should be created. i am in support of a state for the idoma and igalla people. it is based on fairplay. and akure state from ondo state.  and Abuja state
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by udezue(m): 8:34pm On Jul 20, 2008
ow11:

Fine. have you spared a thought for Bayelsa state with 8 LGA's.Now how is Bayelsa state different from other states with 24 or 44 LGA's. Are the ones with more LGA's better than Bayelsa state?

So how would getting more states in the south make our lives any better?
I really don't give a crap about Bayelsa state and certainly don't really understand your questions about it and the LGAs. It will be nice if u can kowaciate.

But anyways the success or failure of Bayelsa has nothing to do with the political yearnings of Igbos in Delta and Edo. It is about political and cultural emancipation. The midwest Igbos I can remember have always pressed for their own separate state and I think they deserve it more than any group. AS for Adada it is about balancing the lopsided political structure between North and South. Two more states that will be bring about 19 - 19 states will give the South a better representation in the nation (Senate, bla bla bla), more numbers, which is essential when its time to vote.

If Bayelsa state is not functioning like it should that should not stop us from granting Anioma and also Egbanke people statehood. Adada or what ever state that can be carved out of the SE is important. As for Bayelsa--Edwin Clark, governor and the rest should should know what they have been doing with the state creation. EQUAL PLAYING FIELD ABEG.

I do somehow understand what u are saying tho but em the last time I checked Nigeria had regional autonomy but hey we threw it out the door under Gowon to garner more support from Eastern minorities against Biafra so yes lets create 2 more states in the South.It will be a great advantage for the South. IF ITS NOT THE BEST THING TO DO THEN LET US GO BACK TO THE REGIONAL STRUCTURE WE HAD BEFORE THAT WAS ACTUALLY VERY GOOD AND EACH REGION FUNCTIONED WELL ECONOMICALLY. Yoruba and whatever related group can be WEST, Ijaws can all go to MIDWEST, Egbanke, Ika, Anioma to the EAST, Non-hausa/fulani groups in the MIDDLE-BELT. Hausa/Fulani and its related groups can then split the other in half---NORTH and NORTH CENTRAL.

Something like that.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nigeria17: 1:50am On Jul 21, 2008
I will like to see the creation of coastal state for the Ijaws and Itsekeri in Delta and Balyesa state.

Place like Sagbama, southern ijaw, should join the new coastal state from balyesa, while itsekeri local govt in delta should be part of it.

And new balyesa to include  Ijaws in River state from Ahoada, egbema, soku  become part of New BaIysesa state.

Http://.com
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by tpia: 2:03am On Jul 21, 2008
I think Nigeria should go back to just 12 states. Or how many states were there in the 70s?

I fail to see how creating more states is helping anyone. The US has 50 states, but the US is far bigger than Nigeria.

Soon each local govt area will become a state, with the way things are going.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nigeria17: 2:18am On Jul 21, 2008
Tpia in business you need creative idea to move ahead. I do not know if you did management before. but in management, or if you did a MBA, they teach about 3 ways of creative approach to solving a problem. the three ways are analogies , idea nets and mind mapping. and i will tell you great ideas have come from usually way and i have sat down and look at ways to move nigeria forward. i will tell you. will need to create state.

i believe we have to create more  Apa, Fuatua, akure, Abuja, coastal , ibadan, Anioma.  This state are over due,  others may be considered.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by seyibrown(f): 9:19am On Jul 21, 2008
@ Nigeria1

Reading your previous posts makes me wonder what you are talking about. Can't seem to always get your point.

Now that you suggest the Creation of 'Akure State', I am now convinced that you just think and talk a 'load of bull shit'.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by SkyBlue1: 10:08am On Jul 21, 2008
From my understanding creation of states is seen as a means to give people a voice or as a means of resouce allocation in its most basic sense. But in a country whereby wether or not you create more states corruption and greed and bad government among other things robs the people of voices anyway, what on earth will creation of more states achieve? What has the creation of more states achieved other than a new means for people to get money? This just seems to be again trying to cure cancer with panadol.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by ow11(m): 1:29pm On Jul 21, 2008
Udezue,

It seems you did not understand my post. Let me explain what I meant.
I drew your attention to Bayelsa state because I wanted you to see that creating more states doesnt necessarily mean development. it just creates more avenues for corruption to thrive like someone pointed out earlier. That bayelsa state has 8 LGA's doesnt make it worse than other states therefore, that other regions have more states and so Igbos must have more states doesn't solve any problem.

The last paragraph in your post makes me laugh because states were created for the reasons you have been on about and now you want us to go back to regions? I don't understand you stand.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nigeria17: 4:58pm On Jul 21, 2008
Seyi, i wil back , satellite picture show that the akure area and the north senate area ondo state is more populated than many state. LIKE abia, ebonyi, imo, balyesa , gombe, jigawa, I will back to post satellite picture. so you can judge for yourself. i have to run.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by ayomifull(f): 5:50pm On Jul 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

From my understanding creation of states is seen as a means to give people a voice or as a means of resouce allocation in its most basic sense. But in a country whereby wether or not you create more states corruption and greed and bad government among other things robs the people of voices anyway, what on earth will creation of more states achieve? What has the creation of more states achieved other than a new means for people to get money? This just seems to be again trying to cure cancer with panadol.

10q
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by TCUBE(m): 6:30pm On Jul 21, 2008
adada state? what da fuk? next is ijebu state and next is abeokuta state and abuja state and so on, i think we need a state for dallas , houston and san antonio, whats wrong with nigeria?
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nigeria17: 6:24am On Jul 22, 2008
Ayo, you claim the system is not working. If it is not. May be they should scrap all state. answer is no. You see local govt is not working in Nigeria. They do not do any project. Why continue to give them money.   So use the money for new state. If we increase state. we would have more develop city. AND THE LIFE OF THE PEOPLE ARE TOUCH.

Another reason  is the issue of Injustice done by the military that needs to be correct based on the way state were created. we have to correct this inbalance. If not military option is the gooding to be the last option. And all this politician who are refusing to correct it will all be history.

many years ago people call on the federal govt to correct the injustice to the niger delta. see were it end us. If they fail to correct the state creation injustice. write down today, the military option would be the last option. So it id better to avoid a bloodly military or secession from the Nigeria. So it is better to be smart than foolish.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Eziachi: 10:35am On Jul 22, 2008
Never believe that state creation is for development but rather multiplication of political positions, but since everything in Nigeria is politics and those that created the state got their maths wrong and forgot that all the 6 regions except the South East has 6 states, why not dissolve one state each from the rest of the five region and equal it and the South East will shut up? Very simple?
What conference, debate or constitutional ammendment did they ammend when they gave others 6 states and forgot that South East has five or that 6 x 6 is equal 36 and not 35?
Conference after conference to develop Niger Delta, but there was no such when Abuja was built overnight.
To defend the fact that Kano without the Jigawa has more LGA than the whole of the South East is mind blowing and they still claim that this is an equal union.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Eziachi: 11:03am On Jul 22, 2008
tpia:

I think Nigeria should go back to just 12 states. Or how many states were there in the 70s?

I fail to see how creating more states is helping anyone. The US has 50 states, but the US is far bigger than Nigeria.

Soon each local govt area will become a state, with the way things are going.

I am in sympathy with your point, at the point of our marriage in 1960 we agreed and signed to live as a 3 equal regions and later we agreed and again to create midwest. Any others after that was done without anyone being asked, debated or even agreed, let alone signed. And it become a popularity carrot bribe for the semi illeterate soldiers from the north and their western friends since then.

From having four lively and functional capitals Kaduna, Ibadan Enugu and Benin plus vibrant Lagos to 36 useless/ghost capitals to kingdom of heaven called Abuja where every Dick and Harry run to.
From four purposeful and dedicated Premiers to clueless, half baked, pen robbery 36 governors, 36 side-kicks called their deputies, 36 her excellencies, the governors wife, legions of commissioners, some without a real function, 36 Chief of staffs-who only God knows what their jobs are, plus a tyrant-northern only Abuja minister.

Do you know that the old East constitutes of 12 present states today but in those days, Michael Okpara performed wonders with just 10 commissioners but can you believe the fact that today, Ebonyi state alone has 26 commissioners? and God knows how many advisers and sub advisers exist.  And probably those advisers has their own advisers too.

The problem with Nigeria, is that everybody knew what to do to makes things better but they will do the opposite because it will suits the statu quo and anything that will prevent Biafran re-surgence, the main reason behind their fear of regional arrangement despite it's well known good record in terms of development and healthy competition among them.  If not, why not go back to 4 regions and let each region control their own destiny in terms of economy etc.  Then if any region decided that they can afford it, let them go ahead a create as many states or local govts as they like and that will be their business.

Just like in life if a man likes, he can marry as many women or have as many children as he pleases but he will be the one that will feed them, cloth them and send them all to school but imagine if everybody is to freely dip their hands into a free piggy bank, many will have a whole viilage as their family.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Eziachi: 11:17am On Jul 22, 2008
Nigeria1;;:

Seyi, i wil back , satellite picture show that the akure area and the north senate area ondo state is more populated than many state. LIKE abia, ebonyi, imo, balyesa , gombe, jigawa, I will back to post satellite picture. so you can judge for yourself. i have to run.

In this forum you had to laugh sometimes with what people comes out with. What the f**k are you talking about for goodness sake? Akure area according to you is more populated than Abia state for instance. Have you actually in your life cross the river niger? or just an arm chair geography teacher?

Do you know that Enyimba city of Aba is in Abia state? Do you know how big Aba as a city is let alone as a senatorial zone? Have you forgotten that Umuahia of all places is in Abia state too and not even mentioning big towns like Arochukwu and Abiriba?
And not until your miseducation, I didn'trealise that you can determine the population of an area through satellite. well we learn new things every day. don't we?

God!! no wonder this country is f****d, imagine someone like you in Abuja deciding peoples life and I am sure there many like you there. God help us.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by dayokanu(m): 11:35am On Jul 22, 2008
One region has 7 states maybe North East, North west or North Central. I beleive states should be given per the population of the area. What is the use of creating another State in the South East when half of the population are in Lagos and other part of the country. Then what do they need the state for?
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Okijajuju1(m): 11:52am On Jul 22, 2008
Its amazing to see people clamouring for the creation of new states, meanwhile some of the states that are already in existence have nothing to offer.

More states should be created that will be fed by other states abi?? Apart from the Niger delta states which contribute 85% of the GNI, and some Northern states that are still farming, then Anambra, Abia, Lagos with commerce, what are the rest of these useless states contributing to the economy??

Instead of creating New states, some of the existing states should be disolved and added to other productive states.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by SkyBlue1: 12:03pm On Jul 22, 2008
@Okija unfortunately that is what you get when tribal sentiment over rules all what might be seen as objective rational thinking which would actually move the country foward. Everybody wants their own state no matter how useless such will be in the economic sense and in every other sense. I think i will start filing for my very own state too with a popultation of one since it is the latest craze.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by grafikdon: 1:01pm On Jul 22, 2008
@ Okija you hit the nail right on the head. If I had the power, I'd merge all the 36 states into 12 states. . . this issue of unproductive excessive fragmentation in the name of 'state creation' is more irritating than craw craw and kwarikwata. I thought I was the only one who found it ridiculous. The concept of 19 states was unbearable. . . and bam! we got 21. . . from there we 'upgraded' to 36 including the ones that introduced. . . grin ooooookay, I'll hold my breath here.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nigeria17: 3:51pm On Jul 22, 2008
Eziachi state are for development. It has work so far for nigeria.  Look at aba state for example. If no state was created, there would not be a stadium in aba. Look you need to see the satellite picture of Jalingo. And you would know state creation have help . I was shock to see how much Jalingo have developed.  Yes some state did not benefit from developed, but this is not because of the principle of state creation , but because they have bad leaders.

In problem solving , your main target is development. It worked for some state, while it failed to work in state like balyase state because of corruption. Do you blame the process or the leader. The system works but the leaders fail. You still do the process again. and try to correct and make sure every leader obey the system.

Now how do you solve underdevelopment in NIGERIA. my first answer is you need development centre. The capital are the development centres. So create more and you would develop.  Now this is the way to check waste by local govt. The federal govt should stop given local govt money. The money are never used.  because they are too smal. Some get 40 million a month. what can 40 million do, nothing. After you remove salary. you have 10 million remaining.

So what is the solution?. answer you still need to use the money going to LG you send it to the new state. with a 50: 50 federal to state.  While you still have the local govt but with no administration system inplace. we can not affort them. You now hand over their staff to the state for other use.

Now with 36 state you have 36 development centre, with more you have more development centre. You are pushing nigeria into development when you do that.

Ezichi to answer your other question. In 1960 nigeria had 3 region . but today. While statistics and satellite pictures show that the west of 1960 is 3 times more populated than the east. The east have 9 state while the west have 8. Is that fair .??

2. While satellite picture show that the Mid west is more populated than the south east. The MID WEST have 2 state while the south east have 5 state. Is that fair?, 

Ezichi if you really do not want state creation, since they never worked as you claim, For us to correct injustice.  Then the one option you are asking for is to remove 6 state .  Which are abia, Ebonyi, Akwa Ibom, Nassarawa, Zamfara and Gombe from the map of Nigeria.  do you agree to that option.  This is just a question. please note.

Like I said before,  many years ago people call on the federal govt to correct the injustice to the niger delta. see were it end us today. If they fail to correct the state creation injustice. write down today, the military option would be the last option. So it id better to avoid a bloodly military or secession from the Nigeria. So it is better to be smart than foolish.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Nigeria17: 4:59am On Jul 23, 2008
Ezichi were you dey
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by okuomose3(m): 5:38am On Jul 23, 2008
Eziachi @
I am in sympathy with your point, at the point of our marriage in 1960 we agreed and signed to live as a 3 equal regions and later we agreed and again to create midwest. Any others after that was done without anyone being asked, debated or even agreed, let alone signed. And it become a popularity carrot bribe for the semi illeterate soldiers from the north and their western friends since then.

From having four lively and functional capitals Kaduna, Ibadan Enugu and Benin plus vibrant Lagos to 36 useless/ghost capitals to kingdom of heaven called Abuja where every Dick and Harry run to.
From four purposeful and dedicated Premiers to clueless, half baked, pen robbery 36 governors, 36 side-kicks called their deputies, 36 her excellencies, the governors wife, legions of commissioners, some without a real function, 36 Chief of staffs-who only God knows what their jobs are, plus a tyrant-northern only Abuja minister.

Do you know that the old East constitutes of 12 present states today but in those days, Michael Okpara performed wonders with just 10 commissioners but can you believe the fact that today, Ebonyi state alone has 26 commissioners? and God knows how many advisers and sub advisers exist. And probably those advisers has their own advisers too.

The problem with Nigeria, is that everybody knew what to do to makes things better but they will do the opposite because it will suits the statu quo and anything that will prevent Biafran re-surgence, the main reason behind their fear of regional arrangement despite it's well known good record in terms of development and healthy competition among them. If not, why not go back to 4 regions and let each region control their own destiny in terms of economy etc. Then if any region decided that they can afford it, let them go ahead a create as many states or local govts as they like and that will be their business.

Just like if a man likes, he can marry as many women or have as many children as he pleases but he will be the one that will feed them, cloth them and send them all to school but imagine if everybody is to freely dip their hands into a free piggy bank, many will have a whole viilage as their family.

--> Very wise statement! I honour you sir.
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by KnowAll(m): 9:47am On Jul 23, 2008
@Ezechi,

This federal character and state creation is just too costly for a poor country like Nigeria, how on earth can we fund 36 governors, 36 deputies, well over 3000 state house of assembly memebers, local goverment chairmen, and probably 10,000 councillors the list just keeps on going, by the time you pay all thes people there salaries, entitlements,bonuses, car, house allowances, school fees allowances for their kids I dont think there will be anything left in the coffers
Re: Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation by Eziachi: 11:06am On Jul 23, 2008
KnowAll:

@Ezechi,

This federal character and state creation is just too costly for a poor country like Nigeria, how on earth can we fund 36 governors, 36 deputies, well over 3000 state house of assembly memebers, local goverment chairmen, and probably 10,000 councillors the list just keeps on going, by the time you pay all thes people there salaries, entitlements,bonuses, car, house allowances, school fees allowances for their kids I don't think there will be anything left in the coffers

That is exactly my point. You have to say that at least 70% of Nigerian resources are spent on running government alone. That means the paying of salaries of people in government and maintaining their offices and the left over will either end in their private accounts through fictitious contract or abandoned projects because there is no enough money to complete them.

Apart from LAGOS, maybe Abia because of Aba, Anambra because of Nnewi/Onitsha and Kano will function without receiving oil revenue for just six month. 95% of all the states in Nigeria lives from hand to mouth on a monthly basis. Non of them knows how to generate revenue, the governors are just glorified cashiers that put their feet up on the table waiting for the end of the month to come and billions of free money is paid into their account and they will share with local govt and then wait for another month to come. How many of these states could survive like Lagos state when OBJ illegally withheld their fund for few years?

When you consider the fact that states were created by illiterates like Gowon, Babangida and Abacha. What does this men know about economy/economics? except looting the treasury of the public. If your business is not doing well, will your bank advise you to hire more staff instaed of reducing them? Will he advise you to open more branches instead of closing some branches to minimise cost? Because that is exactly what Nigeria is doing hiring more staff and opening new branch when you are experiencing hardship. How insane is that?
Can you just imagine the cost of running the 36 state capitals plus Abuja? The cost of running 36 houses of assemblies, plus national assembly/senate. All the states has 36 councils of traditional "my ass" rulers too and their legion of hang-ons.

Can you imagine how much the cost of this will be in a year? and how many airports, roads, modern/equiped hospital the savings from them will bring. If Nigeria is a company or a PLC, will you seriuosly as a wise investor put your money in it?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! / Igbo Deserve To Produce President In 2015, Says Atiku / List Of Boko Haram Sponsors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.