Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! (7466 Views)

Fayose Stops His Convoy To Interact With An Old Woman In Ekiti / Osinbajo Meets With Nigerians Living In Cote D'ivoire (Photos) / Osinbajo's Town Hall Chat With Nigerians In S. Africa Via Skype (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 8:18am On May 16, 2010
I will be on facebook — Jonathan
•Reiterates free, fair elections

To show his commitment to ushering in the era of electoral uprightness, President Goodluck Jonathan said he would set up a facebook account to create an interface for brilliant contributions from all Nigerians.

President Jonathan, who stated this at the 26th Convocation Ceremony of the University of Port Harcourt on Saturday, also said he had directed the economic team to design programmes for the growth of small businesses.

Dr Jonathan was the Visitor at the convocation ceremony which also witnessed the installation of the second Chancellor of the university in the person of Oba Akran of Badagry, His Majesty, Dr DeWheno Aholu Menu Toyi 1.

Jonathan observed that the first task for all Nigerians is to protect the nation’s nascent democracy, without which the future generation of Nigerians could not boast of a free society.

“The urgent task now is to strengthen and consolidate our young democracy so that tomorrow’s generations could be free to focus on contributing to other compelling matters of human civilisation. When we came into office in May 2007, our commitment was to restore electoral integrity by reforming the electoral guidelines, structures and relevant parts of the constitution dealing with votes.

“I am happy to note that the discourse and demand for free and fair elections are a nationwide current that cannot be stopped. Once again, I commit myself to work with all Nigerians, especially the youths to bring the sad days of electoral malfeasance to an end.

“As we approach the end of this administration, our first task will be to register to vote as soon as the voters register in every ward in our country is opened. Our second task is to vote when the time comes. The connection between voting and the conditions for sustainable development is strong.

“Once we can successfully prevent a few people from determining the outcome of elections, all elected leaders immediately come into the service of the general good”, the president said.

In his goodwill message, the Rivers State governor, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, advocated for the best material to be selected when it comes to the appointment of the next vice chancellor of the university.

He, however, pleaded for forgiveness for those who during a recent protest gave the appointment issue an ethnic and political colouration, saying “the university will go down when we start towing ethnic lines in the choice of vice chancellors”.

In his speech, the outgoing Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt, Professor Don Baridam, said the university could no longer cope with the difficulties associated with irregular power supply, adding that the mandate to provide quality education, through research and teaching, had become seriously compromised.

The convocation ceremony saw the award of degrees and certificates to 5,918 graduands, while the institution honoured five distinguished Nigerians with honorary doctorate degrees.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/index.php/news/1044-i-will-be-on-facebook--jonathan-reiterates-free-fair-elections
Date: 16th May, 2010.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by deor03(m): 9:41am On May 16, 2010
Nice,

This will bring him closer to the people
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by chidichris(m): 10:15am On May 16, 2010
impooooooooooooooo - impossible.
if he comes arround, we will advise him to go back home and discuss the issues of his criminal wife.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by ReachRich(m): 10:21am On May 16, 2010
Thats a nice one from GJ.The questn is will he have the time to personally accept requests and make comments on FB?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Woke4all(m): 10:30am On May 16, 2010
Story, story, storrrrrrrrrry.

That's impossible if you doubt it try it and ur friend request will be pending for years and besides how many people can he chat with or he don't hv time for other things?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by neily(f): 10:49am On May 16, 2010
My dear it is very possible! Yayi Boni the president of Benin Republic is my friend on facebook.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by otokx(m): 11:02am On May 16, 2010
@neily - can i be your facebook friend?

The truth be told GJ will not have time for that; he is still trying to assert himself in power and should be focused or cementing his political base.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by candylips(m): 11:58am On May 16, 2010
he should do twitter instead
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Ikengawo: 12:01pm On May 16, 2010
its not really gonna be him you ignorant retards.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by neily(f): 12:09pm On May 16, 2010
Tell them!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by walata44(m): 1:01pm On May 16, 2010
He should grant interview to Nigeria media first before going on facebook. For over 4 months now this man hasn't think of talking to Nigeria people.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 16, 2010
priorities priorities!

has Obama being on twitter made a difference in someone's life?

please share!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by DrKitaun(m): 1:42pm On May 16, 2010
He would appoint a SA on Facebook matters, kagani?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by adconline(m): 2:14pm On May 16, 2010
It seems he does not know that NEPA is needed to power PCs for facebook users!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On May 16, 2010
candylips:

he should do twitter instead

Rather than force me to sign up for Facebook, how about he signs FOI into law so we can get the data we need and do our research first. Then when he eventually gets on Facebook, or twitter, we will have real questions to ask him and not the usual "when will we have light and water" questions? cool
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by toluxa1(m): 2:29pm On May 16, 2010
Who are all this Ignoranus people saying He won't have time to. . . . How many minutes does it take to place a message on facebook. Or do you think He's sit down there 24hrs the way you do and be chatting. Its not going to be a personal account. Just a Group with his name and you become a fan. He'll definately have people that will monitor comments and print relevant ones. He doesn't have to comment back.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by duality(m): 2:57pm On May 16, 2010
he won't dare that. he would receive the insult of his life if he tries that. with what we see on NL, your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by ADint(m): 3:07pm On May 16, 2010
What about Nairaland
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by neily(f): 3:14pm On May 16, 2010
How are u sure he is not already a member of nairaland?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by ADint(m): 3:21pm On May 16, 2010
neily:

How are u sure he is not already a member of nairaland?

Of course he will have 'agents' here already - but we are looking for username: Goodluck Jonathan  grin grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by ajalio(f): 3:31pm On May 16, 2010
toluxa1:

Who are all this Ignoranus people saying He won't have time to. . . . How many minutes does it take to place a message on facebook. Or do you think He's sit down there 24hrs the way you do and be chatting. Its not going to be a personal account. Just a Group with his name and you become a fan. He'll definately have people that will monitor comments and print relevant ones. He doesn't have to comment back.

Well spoken!, I cannot say it better.

Most (I do not say all) Nigerians are never satisfied. If a politicain speaks to them,  they say, all na lie, we want to see actions.
If a politicain acts, they say , why he does not speak to us. What is better now, speaking or acting?
If GJ wants to use facebook as a modern and new way to inform its people about the going on, why not?
I am very sure that every "inteligent" comment from Nigerians will be read, maybe not always from himself, but it will be read and thought of. It is an opportunity for GJ to give informations and to learn about peoples mind without investing too much time.
You all know that he has no time to waste.

Btw, who screamt always after new and fresh ideas in politics?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by rickie4us(m): 3:33pm On May 16, 2010
I guess GJ thinks one of the ways he can get a feel of what the populace is saying is by having a feedback on facebook. To me, it is not a bad idea. For him to declare this in a University environment shows that he wants to know what the youth are saying.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 4:04pm On May 16, 2010
ADint:

Of course he will have 'agents' here already - but we are looking for username: Goodluck Jonathan grin grin

I think it's a very brilliant Idea folks. President Obama has a facebook account and I'm a friend of his. There are a lot of policies that get's debated there before they get implemented (I'm not saying the implementation is facilitated by his FB friends).Aside that, there are a lot of Obama's interviews that I have privileges to watch with ease. He posts coments every now and then
I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be him directly doing the posts and all other stuffs, definantely one of his P.A., but it allows people to be sensitized with government policies and gives people the feel that you are part of the happenings. A lot of suggestions can be gotten from the populace through that medium instead of sitting in a bar (eating nkwobi) and analysing how Naija can be changed or how PHCN can work.
I think there are a lot of goodies to be gained by getting involved with people directly (if they actually meant it).

I hope he considers NL too!!!.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by rickie4us(m): 4:14pm On May 16, 2010
to summarize, this is simply bringing the government closer to the people.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Kobojunkie: 4:18pm On May 16, 2010
rickie4us:

to summarize, this is simply bringing the government closer to the people.

You mean closer than providing people direct access to their government and it's dealings via freedom of information which ought to be mandate in a democracy in this age? Come on people!!! Let me guess, if Ibori invites you all to his Facebook page, that would make him a better politician . . . lol
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by otawa: 4:32pm On May 16, 2010
To show his commitment to ushering in the era of electoral uprightness, President Goodluck Jonathan said he would set up a facebook account to create an interface for brilliant contributions from all Nigerians.

If above is TRUE. Then, Nigerians are in trouble.

what a pack of CRAP.

As if this is what will provide better LIFE to millions of suffering Nigerians.

As if this is what will build roads, school, hospitals, cloth the people.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 5:08pm On May 16, 2010
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by neily(f): 5:31pm On May 16, 2010
I still did not see anything wrong with it.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 5:34pm On May 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You mean closer than providing people direct access to their government and it's dealings via freedom of information which ought to be mandate in a democracy in this age? Come on people!!! Let me guess, if Ibori invites you all to his Facebook page, that would make him a better politician . . . lol

otawa:

If above is TRUE. Then, Nigerians are in trouble.

what a pack of CRAP.

As if this is what will provide better LIFE to millions of suffering Nigerians.

As if this is what will build roads, school, hospitals, cloth the people.

We can be so pessimistic in this country!!
(I think this attitude is what drove OBJ to say even if Jesus conducted an election in Nigeria, ) I think the man mis-fired though.
But on a serious note,we are not saying his interaction with people - via FB will build roads and hospitals in Nigeria or put food on our tables, but it will help a great deal in  contributing our quota (little or irrelivant as it seems) to the upliftment of this country. Alas!! Great deal of Nigerians are so used to complaining and seeing nothing good about the country, a lot of us percive Naija as irredeemable.
I am sure if it's announced on Network news tomorrow that every Nigerian will be given 1 mill Naira each, some peeps will still say "why not 10 mill, shebi politicians steal much more than that !!"  
Let's try and change this attitude folks.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Kobojunkie: 7:39pm On May 16, 2010
um . . . . That you have chosen to believe this wonderful is no reason to label others as being PESSIMISTIC in all. Stop believing that FIGHTING OTHERS for having a differing opinion means you are a BETTER Nigerian or BETTER person in this.

Seems the man has already been on Facebook before now http://www.facebook.com/people/Goodluck-Jonathan/100000166322650

Going on FACEBOOK has yet to change a single government in the world; all it has done is connect people at a level, which cannot equal that Freedom of information, and policies that promote such can.
Obama went on Facebook, but guess how many Americans DID NOT CARE and still do not care to go on facebook with him? Millions more than those who did! Matter of fact, the people still prefer government to reach them by continuing to provide them access to information on government when they want it. If all you want is to be able to boast to your friends that your president is supposedly on facebook, then fine. However, if you want real change, Facebook does not profess to bring that to any people.

Communication in a democracy goes WAY beyond face book interactions. That is why one of the tenets of a true democracy is freedom of information, not freedom to appear on facebook. If you do not have access to details to help you better understand what is really going on in your government, what do you think facebook will do for you, or your wanting to change your government? Facebook ought to come after the basics, not before the basics, in my opinion. Even if he decided to hold town hall meetings in communities across the country, I do not think it will be as productive as it would if the people had access to vital information to do their research before confronting him with their serious questions.

By the way, you seriously believe you contribute your quota by signing up on facebook to post your comment, with next to no access to detailed information on how Government really works and where it really is. I wait to hear on CNN or BBC how the Nigerian President choosing to go on Facebook for Nigerians helped raise Facebook earnings by billions : D !!! lol

Please, think before you type !! His going on Facebook is ok for those who like such things and have electricity, and internet access. However, for the million others who do not, how do they contribute their “quota”? By diligently remaining in the dark on how their money is spent by the government.

By the way, I am not on FaceBook, so should I now create an account when all I really want is my government to give me the right that ought to be mine, which is free access to data on my own government and how it spends my money? I really don't want to go on facebook. I would prefer the government sign FOI, which has been on the president's table for 7 years and counting.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Seems the man has already been on Facebook before now http://www.facebook.com/people/Goodluck-Jonathan/100000166322650

Nah! i dont think so. Guess its one of those mischief makers up to something.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Radiant(f): 8:41pm On May 16, 2010
So those of you on facebook don't go to work, attend to other issues, have other priorities? You guys only sit and ffuck yourselves on facebook?

You lot make me sick! I mean, come on!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Did Not Plead Guilty –ibori / The Real Intentions Of The Abuja Declaration 1989. / Result Of Presidential Polls Conducted By Channels TV, By Regions(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.