Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother (1978 Views)

Russia: Man Grows Gills After Having Fish Genes Added To His Dna / New Drug Kills All Kinds Of Cancer — Human Testing Starts 2014 / Adam Lanza - Sandy Hook Massacre Caused By Mutant DNA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 4:44am On Jul 03, 2013
Achukwunet and I have always been curious as to the paths our ancestors may have taken. As far as we were told, we only had roots in Delta and Anambra. We both knew, however, that it was an incomplete portrait of ourselves as we it's impossible for our ancestors to be of Anambra and/or Delta heritage solely.

I was aware of DNA and genealogical testing were done by various organizations, but wasn't sure as to which would be the must reliable or reputable. Fortuantely, Achukwunet heard about The Genographic Project, a DNA/genetics research project that uses "cutting-edge genetic and computational technologies to analyze historical patterns in DNA from participants around the world to better understand our human genetic roots", in her Physical Anthropology class last year. The National Geographic Society is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and one of the most established and largest scientific institutions in the world, so we chose to be a part of their project.

From the about page:

With a simple and painless cheek swab, you submit a sample of your DNA to our lab. We then run a comprehensive analysis to identify thousands of genetic markers on your mitochondrial DNA, which is passed down each generation from mother to child, to reveal your direct maternal deep ancestry. In the case of men, we will also examine markers on the Y chromosome, which is passed down from father to son, to reveal your direct paternal deep ancestry. In addition, for all participants, we analyze a collection of more than 130,000 other ancestry-informative markers from across your entire genome to reveal the regional affiliations of your ancestry, offering insights into your ancestors who are not on a direct maternal or paternal line.

We asked our parents if either of them would be willing to give a DNA for the project. Our mother was willing, so we purchased the project kit, which we received a few days later. We took two swabs from her mouth (one for testing, and a backup in case the first sample spoiled) and sent the samples to National Geographic. We got a confirmation email, saying that results would be ready in 6-8 weeks. They sent emails periodically as to how much progress had been made and what was left. Today, we finally received a completion email, as well as our mom's results!

According to National Geographic, "the results give you an unprecedented view of your lineage. You will discover the migration paths your ancient ancestors followed thousands of years ago, and learn the details of your ancestral makeup—your branches on the human family tree."

A little on my mother: she was born and raised in Lagos, but is Igbo. Paternally, she's from Ubulu-Uku, Aniocha South, Delta state. Her mother hails from Obior, Aniocha North, Delta state.

Results
93% Sub-Saharan African, 6% South African.

"This component of your ancestry is found at highest frequency in the people of sub-Saharan Africa, particularly among those speaking Bantu languages such as the Yoruba and Luhya in our reference populations. It likely represents a signal of the original inhabitants of eastern and central Africa, and was spread in part due to the migrations of the Bantu speakers throughout Africa in the past 2,500 years."

Of the numerous reference populations in the project's database, we are closest to the Luhya people of Kenya (89% Sub-Saharan African, 8% South African, 2% Mediterranean, followed by the Yorubas (97% Sub-Saharan African, 3% South African).

We are also 1.4% Neanderthal.
When our human ancestors were first migrating 60,000 years ago, they were not alone. "At that time, at least two other species of hominid cousins walked the Eurasian landmass—Neanderthals and Denisovans." Apparently, humans were able to interbreed with Neanderthals and Denisovans, which is why we, as well as everyone else, have traces of Neanderthal makeup. We are 0.0% Denisovan but the results say that they haven't found the best way to test for it.

Something I learned about this project is that all women who are alive today have the same direct maternal ancestor, and she was born in East Africa (current Northern Ethiopia) 180,000 years ago. She wasn't the only woman alive at the time obviously, but it's only her line, the L line, that have survived till date. Researchers have nicknamed her "Mitochondrial Eve".

Our mother is L3e1e. The L3 branch is a descendant of the L1'2'3'4'5'6 branch, which is a descendant of Mitochondrial Eve. The members of the L3 branch were notorious for migrating, particularly to the north of Africa and even off of the continent. As our mother is L3e1, her ancestors traveled northeast of East Africa and even into the Arabian peninsula. Groups of that branch also traveled south into the sub-Sahara.

The good thing about the project is that the researchers save everything that was sent, as well as the results, so updates, particularly to the Denisovan result, will be made if necessary.

Were the results surprising? Surely! I didn't think Neanderthal would compose up to 1% of our genome. I also never would have guessed that our ancestors went as far as South Africa. Maybe it's not surprising to someone who has studied anthropology extensively, but it was a surprise to us. It was also interesting to find that our results were closer to Kenyans than to fellow Nigerians. We will monitor the results for any updates. I suppose our new project is convincing our dad to partake lol.

The Genographic Project 2.0 Beta

2 Likes

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 5:14am On Jul 03, 2013
Very interesting. I may do something like this in the future.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Mynd44: 5:24am On Jul 03, 2013
gringringrin
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by achukwunet(f): 5:27am On Jul 03, 2013
So worth it.

Here's a pic if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 5:36am On Jul 03, 2013
You guys are 6% South African? Wow! I may be 6% Zimbabwean, who knows.

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Burger01(m): 5:50am On Jul 03, 2013
Forget.. Ayam 100% African. EOD.

sad
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by LordReed(m): 6:33am On Jul 03, 2013
Damn that kit ain't cheap! And only used once? Tsk tsk tsk.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 03, 2013
Yeah, Yeah. Albert Einstein's theory of relativity re-emphasizes that We are all descendants of one mother - Mama Africa - including Caucasians and so on. It is only Geographical location and politicians that separates us all. In fact, this is what computer programmers use in developing algorithm. We are working on one for a Romantic African language writing system that would lead to an operating system developed in that language - this will in turn preserve local cultures and languages in this ever evolving digital age.

2 Likes

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 03, 2013
CFCfan: You guys are 6% South African? Wow! I may be 6% Zimbabwean, who knows.
grin grin

@op very interesting !!

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Lilimax(f): 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
Quite an interesting research.
This will still prove some points that we all emanated one parent Adam and Eve.
No doubt.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 03, 2013
Lilimax: Quite an interesting research.
This will still prove some points that we all emanated one parent Adam and Eve.
No doubt.

Oh Yeah. There is a spiritual dimension to all. Na there GOD pass man cool.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by achukwunet(f): 9:20pm On Jul 03, 2013
Lord_Reed: Damn that kit ain't cheap! And only used once? Tsk tsk tsk.

Only used once for a life time of reassurance

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by LordReed(m): 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
achukwunet:

Only used once for a life time of reassurance

Well I do hope at some point it'll be less expensive. Unless its critical I don't see many folks this way shelling out $200(N32k) just to know.

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by BarryX(m): 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2013
Quite an impressive project, If only the research had really traced your mum's ancestry to the known origin of Nigeria. Then they would have bought my belief to a reasonable level but all the same science never ceases to amaze with their feats.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 06, 2013
Ogugua you and your sister must have had a lot of money to blow that was why you guys did the Ancestry stuff. When African-Americans that do it have about 70% African what then will you and your sister 100% Africans be expecting

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 3:52am On Jul 06, 2013
babe_online: Ogugua you and your sister must have had a lot of money to blow that was why you guys did the Ancestry stuff. When African-Americans that do it have about 70% African what then will you and your sister 100% Africans be expecting

Well, we both work and funded this ourselves.We felt like participating in the project and did. We got unexpected answers and now have a story to tell our kids. We don't regret it one bit. It was our choice.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 4:00am On Jul 06, 2013
ogugua88:

Well, we both work and funded this ourselves.We felt like participating in the project and did. We got unexpected answers and now have a story to tell our kids. We don't regret it one bit. It was our choice.

I so wanna do this because i've always wondered about my ancestry on that level. I can only guess..i agree with your reasons for doing it also
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 4:15am On Jul 06, 2013
ogugua88:

okay it is good you guys participated...and I dont expect you guys to regret it at all. By the way the SA ancestry is so funny...lol
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 06, 2013
Point of correction folks. There is nothing like 'sub-sahara african', we only have: North, South, East and West Africa. Stop the misconception.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 06, 2013
Olodostein: Point of correction folks. There is nothing like 'sub-sahara african', we only have: North, South, East and West Africa. Stop the misconception.
there is sub-Saharan Africa/n. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 06, 2013
babe_online:
there is sub-Saharan Africa/n. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

No. It was a social construct kiss tongue.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by LordReed(m): 11:58am On Jul 06, 2013
Olodostein:

No. It was a social construct kiss tongue.

Even the north, south and so on Africa you mentioned are social/political constructs. The sub-saharan reference is very valid as there is a marked difference between the those who live to the north of that region and those to the south even genetically.

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Even the north, south and so on Africa you mentioned are social/political constructs. The sub-saharan reference is very valid as there is a marked difference between the those who live to the north of that region and those to the south even genetically.

North, South, East, West is Mother Nature's doing. Thee statement Marked in Black is Balooney cool. PEACE Fella cheesy
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by LordReed(m): 2:23pm On Jul 06, 2013
Olodostein:

North, South, East, West is Mother Nature's doing. Thee statement Marked in Black is Baloney cool. PEACE Fella cheesy

You are so ignorant it begs the question.

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 06, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You are so ignorant it begs the question.

Thank You 'mr lord reed' . Jah Bless cool. PEACE Fella cheesy.
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 12:33am On Jul 07, 2013
Good stuff....

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 07, 2013
Very interesting. I'll probably do this as well.

6% south African ? Wow !

Imagine if I do this and the results come out as 94% sub-saharan 2% Spanish, 2% Mexican and 2% Australian . Kai, mehhhnn I'll be forming mixed race.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 07, 2013
this simply shows that Igbos are Bantu.
as I have already said on this forum .
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 07, 2013
$199.95 ?!?!? cry cry cry cry cry
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by AbuMikey(m): 11:42pm On Jul 07, 2013
Walahi!!! I for like run this mata ooo.... But $200?? Ha!! Its too expensive oo.....I would rather buy alcohol for the likes of 190,Nadia,Yuzedo,Sexkills and AbPatrick ooo

2 Likes

Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by Tinyemeka(m): 2:58pm On Jul 09, 2013
All I gained from reading this thread is that Ogugua: 1) Is Deltish
2) Has a sis whose been on NL since 2011. Or even earlier sef.
And I only got to know today. undecided
Re: DNA Genealogical Testing On Our Mother by tpia5: 5:46pm On Aug 17, 2013
Do your fathers own too, so we can get the full picture.

(1) (Reply)

Embedded Systems Tutorial For Beginners:experiment 4 (traffic Light System) / Top 10 Best Selfie Apps For Android Phone / 1st Cisco CCIE Training Centre In Nigeria At Ogba, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.