Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State (55162 Views)

Enugu Community Where Green Snakes Are Kings, Queens, Battle Men Of God / Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Chris95(m): 9:50pm On Jul 07, 2013
sholikay: ..bros,since u said AKA PU(AKA go) or wateva,is d only words said to d creature(snake) to send it off, i'd rather suggest d OP use dat AKA PU to form a lyrics nd sing it everywhere he goes,so dat wen d snake listen 2 d song,it wouldn't bother to surface sef..or wat do u guys think?..lol...
example
*singing*..yes ooo its ur boy sholikay on d mix...
AKAPU oooooooo!....AKAPU ooooooooo!....(2ce)
snake ooooooo!....AKAPU oooooo....
i hate u oooooooooo!....AKAPU ooooooo!..
no kum my side ooooooo.....AKAPU ooooooo..
mama mee oooooooo....AKAPU ooooo.....
Hahahaha*laughn nd holdn my stomach*...bros abeg dem send u? D song go get rap?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by lekkie073(m): 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2013
sholikay: ..bros,since u said AKA PU(AKA go) or wateva,is d only words said to d creature(snake) to send it off, i'd rather suggest d OP use dat AKA PU to form a lyrics nd sing it everywhere he goes,so dat wen d snake listen 2 d song,it wouldn't bother to surface sef..or wat do u guys think?..lol...
example
hahahaha grin grin grin abeg no kill me with laugh .grin grin
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Chris95(m): 9:56pm On Jul 07, 2013
example
Hahahaha
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2013
tpapi: I prefer to serve in borno state than that snake infested village
grin grin grin Dude If BokoBoys handle U once ; Just imagined getting romantic hug by a suicide bomber or Okposi Snake ........ U better choose Snake !!! grin

There are some places one should not even consider for adventure .....what a tradition !!!

U will even bury th snake with burial rites kwaaaaa .......Twaaa!!!
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by mooregan(m): 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2013
Who send me make I even read this thread, fear don de catch me, lol. Snake is actually what I hate n fear most. OP thanks for informing me, make I start to de kabash against being posted to Ebonyi come next year. *tongues* madaka tara bajeu alav arahe jaiak*

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Cityofdavid(m): 10:09pm On Jul 07, 2013
otikpoko:

What course are you studying?
mass comm.?

sociology and anthropology
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Cashio(m): 10:16pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nightshift: As Perikomo would say " Omenani ndi diri ha"
Odinani ana-ese okwu eh?
Odinani ana-ese okwu eh? Ya mere ihe ndi ji buru ndi ha
Anyi ebinigo, na chi asala, ekere mgba n'aha----
Umu okorobia jiri ososo gbata..... orugo ka o na eru

Vintage Perikomo and his Arondizuogu Traditional Dance Group
" Nyikaigbudu" by title
oo ihe nwute,ego mere m ka m mara na izu ka mma na nne ji ka i mara
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Cashio(m): 10:18pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nightshift: As Perikomo would say " Omenani ndi diri ha"
Odinani ana-ese okwu eh?
Odinani ana-ese okwu eh? Ya mere ihe ndi ji buru ndi ha
Anyi ebinigo, na chi asala, ekere mgba n'aha----
Umu okorobia jiri ososo gbata..... orugo ka o na eru

Vintage Perikomo and his Arondizuogu Traditional Dance Group
" Nyikaigbudu" by title
oo ihe nwute,ego mere m ka m mara na izu ka mma na nne ji ka i mara.
Izu ka mma na nne ji eee..
Obi nwanne mere m ooo
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nightshift(m): 10:19pm On Jul 07, 2013
Lordave: Danfodio road behind Enyimba stadium.
Odi ok, dalu nwanne
Nwa Aba for life, Olisa gozikwa gi, Nwanne Mmadu!
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nightshift(m): 10:27pm On Jul 07, 2013
Cashio: oo ihe nwute,ego mere m ka m mara na izu ka mma na nne ji ka i mara.
Obi nwanne mere m ooo
Konkiri, Konkiri, Konkiri, Kwarakwata kwaa.... O ga atukwuta ya aja ma o bu Konkiri!

Great music! It was the first Gangster music in Igboland.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Cashio(m): 10:44pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nightshift: Konkiri, Konkiri, Konkiri, Kwarakwata kwaa.... O ga atukwuta aja, ma o bu Konkiri!

Great music! It was the first Gangster music in Igboland.
obu maka asiri ha..
Hara asiri ha ee..
Hara asiri ha.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by mayorcowboy: 11:10pm On Jul 07, 2013
culture as define as pple way of life.since d so called green snake dd nt disturb u, let them.ok
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by sholikay(m): 11:10pm On Jul 07, 2013
killuminati: guy, you nor wise? No vex na question oh...
yessssss......are u satisfied with dat reply?.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by sholikay(m): 11:15pm On Jul 07, 2013
Chris95:
Hahahaha*laughn nd holdn my stomach*...bros abeg dem send u? D song go get rap?
..na inspiratn o..i think d lyrics make sense,maybe i go feature lil wayne...
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by lawizle(m): 11:22pm On Jul 07, 2013
collins.123:
*hisses on thread and continues sipping alomo + black label & 2 packs of Target cigarettes and waiting for mama oyoyo to finish my catfish pepper soup while playing ludo.

On to the next one

Diagnosis: Confusion
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Eseries(m): 11:43pm On Jul 07, 2013
Good old memories!
Attended FGC Okposi
We no send those green snakes then, if any one show our hostel emm own don be....we go kill am straight!
The snake is not venomous, my friend was once bitten by one.
People you only get to see these snakes once in a while just like any other village, it is not like the whole roads in the village are covered by them.
Love Okposi sha!
Umu egirima Okposi no na ekaa (nairaland), ekene dili unu o!(Real Okposians, hope I got that)
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by akraym(m): 11:47pm On Jul 07, 2013
This story is too long. Can some1 please summarize
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Bgino(m): 11:53pm On Jul 07, 2013
i never knw smbdy wt this experience i had will make front page.mine was terrible..after casting my first floor slab at a building project i came t supervise at Amenu okposi,i decided to rest at the improvised accomodation my client gave to me and my crew.lo and behold a green snake in the same bed wt me lyin side by side obviously waiting for wall ghecko.the reptile had surreptiously crept in tru an opening in the hot aftrnoon looking fr a meal.the okposi mythology have it that this green reptile had saved a small child from danger during the ancient invasion from neighbourig waring communities..i will never return to that town

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 08, 2013
example
Now I can sleep grin
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by ACM10: 12:15am On Jul 08, 2013
emmygod: Enugu state is more civilized in south eastern part of Nigeria. when i was serving in udi, the people have no reverence to deity ot totem. The town Ukana re not worshipping anything. nighty nine percent of them re predominantly christian. Unlike other neigbouring state like Anambra they still pay homage to python chinua achebe describe in his book the arrow of god. Deity re still respected. My visi to Ngwa land in abia state shows that there re not pegans.There customs re civilized.

Now, let me tell you this,

YOU ARE NOT CIVILIZED!

You worship God/god that is a figment of men imagination. You are not different from white supremacist. Your definition of civilized is when someone worships your god. They don't worship green snakes, but it is their sacred animal. The sacred animal in my town, Ogidi in Anambra state is python. Your town is not more sophisticated or civilized than us. Have respect for people custom and tradition.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by ACM10: 12:20am On Jul 08, 2013
Bj5all:
have u been bitten by the snake b4, how do u know the snake is not poisonous? most snakes have venom and pls don't risk ur life on some baseless belief and tradition

Duh! Most snakes does not have venom. The ones that have venom only use it to paralyze their prey. They only bite humans in self-defence when they are provoked.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by 19naia(m): 12:22am On Jul 08, 2013
THE GREEN MAMBA is no snake to joke around with or trap yourself in a room of tradition with....It is fast on land and in trees or any bush in general...they like to run away first if they can but if trapped,they are very fast and it is one of the worlds snakes whose venom is fast acting and very hard to survive because it shuts down the autonomic nervous system which means the heart stops and no blood flows,the lungs stop inflateing and the entire body begins massive nervous sytem overload with movements as if the body is possessed by squirming evil,and that would be the literal truth about that venom...black mamba also.....the green mamba is easily identified by the black color inside its mouth and its tendency to rear up like a cobra and hiss when cornered on the ground...all encounters i had in the bush,the snake always slithers away through the branches,but the open ground can find yourself being chased by the fastest snake on earth....I have been chased by a small black mamba before..it chased me until i stopped and turned to face it and it then reared up like a cobra and hissed and then turned to flee from me...it had a very black inner mouth when it opened it at me and hissed.....I was not chased by a green mamba but when i was searching a box it rested in,it jumped over my head passing my hand and face by only centimeters,i saw it as high as the house roof before it fell back down and slithered like lightning....even with my hand in the box with it,it prefered to jump over and away from me rather than to bite me....it was hissing as it jumped past my head out of the box i was bent over with my hand inside that box...
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Solowande(m): 12:31am On Jul 08, 2013
gunpoint: Deed I make frontpaige? Wow!
Gawd is gud.
Whot numba ayam?
I haf woked hard to cum thes fa.
Next tiam I wee becum 1st to coment. grin
U Spent all ur time n effort typin n postin dis just 4 d joy of ur comment to be in frontpage? guy na wa 4 u
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by amiebeauty(f): 12:39am On Jul 08, 2013
As an okposi girl...i was rily interested in wot u wrote about Aka (d green snake) and i must confess that u did justice 2 it..in almost every culture 1 thing or d other is revered..n in ma place it is d green snake...which is quite harmless by d way.in Awka where i school..theirs is the monkey. buh i av an issue wit ur comment that "their ladies were readily available to meet d intimate needs of corpers".it is a very ugly comment n an insult 2 okposi ladies.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 08, 2013
This topic reminds me of my service year: when I discovered that snake meat was a delicacy to most corps members from Yoruba tribe, I stopped buying food from "mama puts" that were from the tribe.

Where I am from, killing monkeys is prohibited. (Un)Fortunately the monkeys have become almost extinct.

I don't get why the snakes aren't extinct: abi the youths in such communities no fit sell am?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by ceeceeco: 1:24am On Jul 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
THE GODS BLESS THESE SNAKES!

THE GODS BLESS YOU ASWELL OP! GREAT THREAD!
cool

don't listen to these christians. they have no respect for our forests and our animals. all they know is to kill anything that doesn't pay them tithe.

our fore-fathers knew that the only way to avoid the wrath of the dangerous forest animals, was to treat them with respect, instead of trying to exterminate them. We Maguzawa don't kill snakes, because they clear our fields of those rats that destroy our crops.

This is not just a Nigerian thing btw.
Across South-Western India, among the Bantaru and Nair Tribes, if you kill a snake, you would face retribution. and if you came across a dead snake, you must organize its funeral and also feed the entire village.
Anything that wants 2 harm u, harm it. But anything that's nøt ready 2 harm u, free it. If i'm assured that the snake wøn't harm me then i have nø reasøn 2 harm it. But if it's øut 2 harm me, then i have nø chøice.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by NEROSKY(m): 2:28am On Jul 08, 2013
ACM10:

Now, let me tell you this,

YOU ARE NOT CIVILIZED!

You worship God/god that is a figment of men imagination. You are not different from white supremacist. Your definition of civilized is when someone worships your god. They don't worship green snakes, but it is their sacred animal. The sacred animal in my town, Ogidi in Anambra state is python. Your town is not more sophisticated or civilized than us. Have respect for people custom and tradition.

You made me comment.... When it comes to civilization don't compare Enugu WIf anambra.... Enugu na New York wher anambra dey....

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by ACM10: 4:58am On Jul 08, 2013
^

What point is this one making? Abi na by force to comment?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by drake2(m): 5:05am On Jul 08, 2013
collins.123:
*hisses on thread and continues sipping alomo + black label & 2 packs of Target cigarettes and waiting for mama oyoyo to finish my catfish pepper soup while playing ludo.

On to the next one

lol. I like ds Guy, "Target " still dey?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by nnanyereugo(m): 6:00am On Jul 08, 2013
Olekumaster: @OP, i pity your life. You think say snake sabi education or adventure(or whatever you call it) ni? Go read about Adam and Eve..

may GOD save u d day u go 2 my village & dare try 2 kill dat snake, evn papa oritsejafor will nt save u cois he'll tel u dat u should kno beta 2 gv 2 ceasar wat belongs 2 ceasar. Till i c u in OKPOSI LAND!
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by nnanyereugo(m): 6:06am On Jul 08, 2013
sd-6:
The snakes are called AKA NWOGOGO. Its part of the heritage of Okposi people and its not to be killed. Stories had it that whoever killed it buried it like human. When it comes around you, you'd simply say AKA PU meaning AKA go. And surprising it turns and leaves. Such practice today is on the verge of extinction.

hahhahahaahhahaha....Lolzzz AKA PU ko... AKA go ni... Guy try 2 d com villa abeg. Try com dis october, d best period in our LAND. U'll c pple 4rm far & near.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by yommy2sure(m): 6:14am On Jul 08, 2013
Great write up @op, keep it up. I served in Ebonyi in 201O/2011 but in OHaukwu Lga but heard stories of the snake islands too. Well done!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People / Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State / Oba Obateru Akinruntan's Rolls Royce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.