Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,503 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage (16280 Views)

A Nairalander's Court Wedding Reception Photos / What's The Cost Of Marriage Certificates And Courthouse Marriages In Nigeria / Mosque/Church Or Court/Registry Marriage .... Which One Is Better And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by kenraj(m): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2013
In this global age, it has always bothered me which form of marriage do we take cognisance of and regard as the most important.. Please your view counts.

Which is the most important form of marriage (a) traditional (b)court (c) church or mosque.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 4:18am On Jul 04, 2013
I'd hope to only do one. I don't know which is the best, but my preference is a court wedding or a traditional one. The selfish me would love a very small court wedding. The nice me will do a trad and invite people. I'd put traditional weddings above court.

I no send church/white weddings.

10 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Mynd44: 7:19am On Jul 04, 2013
Gimme a small ceremony anyday anytime and I am pleased. I don't see the point in doing all three weddings.

Around here, they do all of them (Traditional, Court and church) them no dey tire for party?
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by paramajit: 2:15pm On Jul 05, 2013
ffff
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by amiskurie(m): 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
GRANNIES KNWS BEST!
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by gluv01(f): 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Jglad(f): 2:18pm On Jul 05, 2013
hmmm... Let go wit chruch bt Criously, (d)all of d above
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by bellaberry: 2:18pm On Jul 05, 2013
To them gold diggers, court wedding it is anytime any day....

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Bobbystanley(m): 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
If na my sister u wan marry den get ready for traditional marriage so dat I go give u heavy list and u bring fresh palm wine for the marriage rites..if una like make una go court go marry again

3 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
In some places in know, if you do traditional marriage, you're ok, but ignore it and do the other once, hmmm! You might not wake up from ya honey moon Sun.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Lakayanah: 2:21pm On Jul 05, 2013
Traditional. We are Africans it's not just the man and the woman's affair it involves both families and even that clan.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nosyke(m): 2:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
ogugua88: I'd hope to only do one. I don't know which is the best, but my preference is a court wedding or a traditional one. The selfish me would love a very small court wedding. The nice me will do a trad and invite people. I'd put traditional weddings above court.

Wow, its good to see someone that shares the same sentiments with me (coming from a Lady, its awesome) , give me Trad and I have been commissioned to start the baby production business.

Lolzz

7 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 05, 2013
I can't stand both traditional and religious weddings. undecided

Court wedding is the one for me.

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by BE811APP: 2:25pm On Jul 05, 2013
Hw many times will dis be trashed on FP
*Trads is important depending on d tribe Marrying...
*Church is 4 show off and Huge Spending.. Tho its important too..
*While Court is d Ultimate cuz without d court wedding u can't travel out of d country and do oda thngs with it...

#hope we wunt see dis Similar tread in few weeks time...

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by thelastPope(m): 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2013
There is really nothing like traditional, religious or court wedding. Wedding is when a man and woman agrees to marry in the presence of witnesses or in the African context, when A father gives out his daughter to a man. All these things you guys are mentioning are not the wedding. They are just ceremonies. It is stupid to do 3 weddings. Only stupid Nigerians do such things. These are foundational flaws in our society that encourage materialism and unholy competition and result in corruption and other vices.

13 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by OLOYEDEOREOLUWA(f): 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2013
Traditional wedding anyday anytime. That's the most important wedding if u ask me. That's our own culture and dats d oldest form of marriage. However, the cout wedding is a necessary formalty.

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Chinom(m): 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2013
Traditional is what certifies you married in the eyes of your people. The people that own you. Court wedding is needed for some legal issues that concerns the government.

However, Traditional wedding takes care of most things in Africa, including some legal/ inhertance issues. So Tradiotional is a MUST.

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by ossaisly(m): 2:31pm On Jul 05, 2013
Am already scared of marriage . How would I marry one girl three times And if u try to explain, it would look as If one is not capable .

Maybe I av to borrow an idea from my friend . He did the three events in less than 15hours grin cheesy grin grin

One of my friend's also turned an introduction into a serious wedding tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Lilimax(f): 2:41pm On Jul 05, 2013
Traditional marriage is the most important of all. You can later go for a Church blessing if you don't have the money for an elaborate white wedding.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 05, 2013
To be sincere, in our time, court wedding is the most important.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by ngosayogie(m): 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2013
Let's say tonnes of people find themselves i this situation and so they decide to resolve it by doing both (Church and traditional or court and traditional). In our modern age, tradition is turning into something that is more moral rather than being legally binding. So if you do a traditional marriage and no registry, then in the eyes of the law, you are not married...let's say something comes up latter in life and you need to prove your marriage or something, then traditional marriage would not really hold much ground...but because of our traditional heritage, the bride's parents would likely want you to have one (That's if they don't mind, although in rare cases). Church weddings are legally binding just like court weddings because the couples to be need to fulfill legal requirements first. In the days of old what our forefathers did were just their normal weddings which we now come to know as traditional weddings today because then the laws of the white man had not taken over our ways of life like today. Since today it's all about the law, I'd advice you to go for one of the two earlier stated options that's if a traditional wedding is still at the back of your mind. Although it's up to you.

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2013
Well, I did my introduction and engagement on the same day at the same time and we did court wedding afterwards. We only had a couple of friends in attendance. No time for unnecessary frivolities.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Paschal360: 2:47pm On Jul 05, 2013
Simple. Do church wedding and use traditional wedding as reception. Go to court whenever you're chanced and sign relevant documents with few witnesses. Problemo solved. grin

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by chumakk: 2:51pm On Jul 05, 2013
Please do court wedding if you are a lady because it will protect you well incase...
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by macEDWIN(m): 2:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
Lets face d fact, did our ancestors knw any thing abt court or church weding dese r western culture & non of dese u paid d bride price except traditn so i blv it's impt, yes church wed is good due 2 d blessing 4rm God 2ru his servants. 4 court is of no use except 4 dose dat don't dat is a scred institution.

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by BlackPeni5: 2:57pm On Jul 05, 2013
ogugua88: I'd hope to only do one. I don't know which is the best, but my preference is a court wedding or a traditional one. The selfish me would love a very small court wedding. The nice me will do a trad and invite people. I'd put traditional weddings above court.

Chai, See as I go save cost...Please will u marry me?
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
I love weddings a lot so I'll do all but church is very important
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nickydrake(m): 3:03pm On Jul 05, 2013
There's no such thing as a 'court wedding/marriage'...at least not in Nigeria. What is erroneously termed a court marriage is simply a marriage conducted at the Registry, and it is said to be a marriage under the Act; that is the Marriage Act.

A marriage of this sort is regulated by statute, rather than customary law, and is often the more advantageous one for the woman. It binds a man to one wife, and the woman to her one husband. So if Chief decides after ten years of legal matrimony that Nne is now too old for him, and that twenty-two years old Ngozi is the pint of fresh blood that he desires, Chief will go to jail if he goes on to marry Ngozi without first obtaining a divorce. You've no doubt heard of bigamy.

On the other hand, your 'Traditional Marriage' is a marriage under customary law. The implication is that it will have to submit to all the prying and probing that in-laws and other relations undertake under the auspices of tradition. In fact, the couple will have to put up with anything that custom demands (or merely permits), unless it is proven that such a practice is. . .you guessed it. . . repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience.
Very few Nigerians are aware of these things; to most, any kind of marriage is good enough, as long as there's a lavish ceremony afterwards.

If you're about to make the inevitable mistake of getting married, it is in your interest to consult a lawyer who'll educate you on the fine points of the law regarding that institution where, as some witty fellow once put it, the man loses his Bachelors and the the woman acquires her Masters.

4 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Emperor007: 3:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
What I did is traditional wedding as African, and court, just to have documents for traveling ( processing stuffs ).

I have a view that one should not do traditional and white wedding, is doing same thing twice . If you are white - do a white wedding and for African, do traditional wedding.

This means, for us the best form of marriage is traditional wedding.

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by SPSpecial(m): 3:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
Sincerely, for me i only prefer church wedding, court can only be done for future purpose. Traditional is just boring and not inspiring. No sermon::::::::::::
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by vm26: 3:18pm On Jul 05, 2013
i would love traditional coz it involves the parents who r said to be honoured in the very same bible coz going thru traditional you are going through the brideprize gesture which parents approve and bless
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Temismith(f): 3:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
Court

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lamentations Of A Nigerian!!! / Reasons Kids Are Tiny Drunk Adults / Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.