Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage (16266 Views)

A Nairalander's Court Wedding Reception Photos / What's The Cost Of Marriage Certificates And Courthouse Marriages In Nigeria / Mosque/Church Or Court/Registry Marriage .... Which One Is Better And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nickydrake(m): 3:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
As Chinom pointed out, kinsmen tend to disregard every kind of marriage but the traditional one. The safe (and economical) thing to do then would be to first conduct a quiet marriage at the registry, witnessed only by those who need to. Afterwards a traditional marriage may be staged to impress the tribesmen.

The cultural ceremony will in no way affect the legal status of the marriage. Where there is any disagreement between the customary law under which the marriage was conducted and the Marriage Act, the statute will prevail.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by GlobalVillager: 3:21pm On Jul 05, 2013
Do court wedding and be legally married

Do white/church wedding and be religiously married(if you care about religion o)

Do traditional wedding and be happily married.

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by xynerise: 3:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
ogugua88: I'd hope to only do one. I don't know which is the best, but my preference is a court wedding or a traditional one. The selfish me would love a very small court wedding. The nice me will do a trad and invite people. I'd put traditional weddings above court.

I no send church/white weddings.
Hmmm
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
it depends on geographical area,and self perspective..due to the high rate of infidelity,i think court marriage is best option,it put a leash on both partners..
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by jude33084(m): 3:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
kenraj: In this global age, it has always bothered me which form of marriage do we take cognisance of and regard as the most important.. Please your view counts.

Which is the most important form of marriage (a) traditional (b)court (c) church or mosque.

All the weddingS/marriages that took place in the Bible are traditional; Jesus Christ attended a wedding in the house of the bride where He turn water into the best wine ever cool

My Igbo girl from Abia knows I will only do one: TRADITIONAL then My Pastor go Bless am grin
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by losak9111(m): 3:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
Traditional wedding is the best,couple needs only parental blessing and after that they one soul but if u ve ur money for church wedding is not a crime u may proceed.But u can't go to church without couple parent blessing
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by jude33084(m): 3:27pm On Jul 05, 2013
GlobalVillager: Do court wedding and be legally married

Do white/church wedding and be religiously married(if you care about religion o)

Do traditional wedding and be happily married.

PERFECTLY SAID smiley
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by succelo: 3:31pm On Jul 05, 2013
Court wedding only. Thy Lord is my strenght
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by jude33084(m): 3:35pm On Jul 05, 2013
ngosayogie: Let's say tonnes of people find themselves i this situation and so they decide to resolve it by doing both (Church and traditional or court and traditional). In our modern age, tradition is turning into something that is more moral rather than being legally binding. So if you do a traditional marriage and no registry, then in the eyes of the law, you are not married...let's say something comes up latter in life and you need to prove your marriage or something, then traditional marriage would not really hold much ground...but because of our traditional heritage, the bride's parents would likely want you to have one (That's if they don't mind, although in rare cases). Church weddings are legally binding just like court weddings because the couples to be need to fulfill legal requirements first. In the days of old what our forefathers did were just their normal weddings which we now come to know as traditional weddings today because then the laws of the white man had not taken over our ways of life like today. Since today it's all about the law, I'd advice you to go for one of the two earlier stated options that's if a traditional wedding is still at the back of your mind. Although it's up to you.

WHITE WEDDING AS IT IS CALLED IS A WHITE MAN'S TRADITION NOT OUR TRADITION. EVERYBODY NOW WANTS TO PUT ON WHITE AFTER LIKE SIX ABORTIONS FOR THE GUY?

THE BEST NOW, WELL, DUE TO ECONOMIC SITUATION grin IS TRADITIONAL THEN REGISTRY wink
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by igemi(f): 3:35pm On Jul 05, 2013
I perfer A and B.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by haitto99(m): 3:56pm On Jul 05, 2013
if u no pay bride price u neva marry o
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 05, 2013
Traditional marriage is d bam! Wedding is just party to me and court marriage...,for any unforseen circumstance.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by vivianc(f): 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
As for me, I'm gonna do boTh Trad and whiTe. Then my church will register my wedding with a regisTry, simple.

When I imagine myself geTTing married, I see myself in a very lovely wedding gown, with my ever loving dad holding my hand. That is a dream that musT come True.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by mcfynest(m): 4:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
kenraj: In this global age, it has always bothered me which form of marriage do we take cognisance of and regard as the most important.. Please your view counts.

Which is the most important form of marriage (a) traditional (b)court (c) church or mosque.

shey when oyinbo dey do their wedding shey dem dey do traditional join? if we do our traditional wedding(indigenous wedding) there is no need for anyoda one. the rest na waste of resources.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 05, 2013
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 05, 2013
vivianc: As for me, I'm gonna do boTh Trad and whiTe. Then my church will register my wedding with a regisTry, simple.

When I imagine myself geTTing married, I see myself in a very lovely wedding gown, with my ever loving dad holding my hand. That is a dream that musT come True.
Amen oooo. Asoebi tinz
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by str8talk1: 4:23pm On Jul 05, 2013
I'm a christian,but biblically,d most acceptable wedding ordain by God is Traditional wedding. Pls,read how Sarah,Rebeeca,Leah,Rachel & even Pharoah's daughter that married Joseph all got married in d Bible. if u observe,d bride all have d consent of dia parent(s).

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by ddeola: 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2013
All 3 are good but let's look at their importance.
1. Traditional wedding is the most important because you get the consent and blessings of both (bride/groom) parents. By this you are already married even before God.
2. Religious wedding came with the advent of Christianity and Islam. This is done to solemnised the union or what people call holy wedding so that before the church and God the people will recognize them as couple. Really, in an ideal situation a learned Pastor/Imam will not conduct a religious wedding if you have not gone to the registry and have not received the blessing/consent of both parents.
3. Registry or what some call court wedding is basically to legalize the union and for the children or products of the union to be recognized as legitimate, they can inherit what the parents leave behind,etc

My opinion: I think the most important one is the traditional wedding while registry is non-negotiable and if you can afford it because of the society, though it shouldn't be expensive do the religious one too. God's blessings is already on your marriage the moment you received the consent and blessings of both parents

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by ugoezeik(m): 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2013
still thinking, pls reserve a space for me am coming
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by danniekute(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2013
abeg,mek i ask;dat certificate dat church said one must bring from d welfare office before dem go wed u,wetin be dat one?

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 05, 2013
The one where he would come and prostrate in the presence of my papa and my papa go hold him ear tight nd tell him the 21 rules of taking me away...which one is that

That's your answer.
All others are just for the sake of others. cool
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by xcyril: 5:44pm On Jul 05, 2013
I think traditional wedding is still the best anytime and anyday. For a good wedding photography for all type of wedding visit www.facebook.com/xcelphotos
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by loswhite(m): 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
N_girl: To be sincere, in our time, court wedding is the most important.
pls can you explain why
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by loswhite(m): 6:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
chumakk: Please do court wedding if you are a lady because it will protect you well incase...
pls sign prenup cos it will protect you incase...
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by wordcat(m): 6:26pm On Jul 05, 2013
I'l only do d trad/court weeding, God forbid say i do church weeding. Chei waiting 4 d lucky girl to say amen.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Buc(m): 6:42pm On Jul 05, 2013
Pls, some people here are saying church wedding is important because of God's blessing. Does it mean that those who got married b4 xtianity was brought to Africa didn't ve blessed marriages?
Pls lets be Africans when we marry. Theses nothing bad about it. And we can should sign marriage registry afterwards.
And even the traditional/native marriage doesn't come cheap nowadays.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Buc(m): 7:14pm On Jul 05, 2013
Nickydrake: As Chinom pointed out, kinsmen tend to disregard every kind of marriage but the traditional one. The safe (and economical) thing to do then would be to first conduct a quiet marriage at the registry, witnessed only by those who need to. Afterwards a traditional marriage may be staged to impress the tribesmen.

The cultural ceremony will in no way affect the legal status of the marriage. Where there is any disagreement between the customary law under which the marriage was conducted and the Marriage Act, the statute will prevail.
you speak unwise. You want to count three b4 one? You try what you are suggesting in other to get reduction in the list of items to present. Just pray you are not dealing with people where the extended family and village heads have a say in what the list would be like.Imagine being married and later your wife is taken from you because your in-laws decided to get cynical with the list of items you would ve to present.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Kenny4lyfe(m): 7:29pm On Jul 05, 2013
@Traditional Wedding:
Mc: He has eaten the chicken and the bone!
Akpos: (interrups) Na porverty cause am! The guy na kpakororo! You no see him cheek bone as eh come out?! grin grin grin!
As for me, I'll leave the decision to my "erema", whichever she choose, I do!
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by FASTLINK1: 7:32pm On Jul 05, 2013
One has no choice here, Traditional is a must in an African setting, Church is also a must for the christian fateful, while court marriage is optional and either for the stingy ones, those that are so much in a hurry or into what is called "Abuja marriage". Lol
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by vivianc(f): 7:47pm On Jul 05, 2013
mechummy: Amen oooo. Asoebi tinz

You can say That again baby. *winks*
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by erico2k2(m): 8:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
Its 2013, so people still use the term COURT MARRIAGE ,Plz who here had gone to a court for a wedding??
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by babe2011(f): 8:26pm On Jul 05, 2013
haitto99: if u no pay bride price u neva marry o
You are so Right

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lamentations Of A Nigerian!!! / Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! / Reasons Kids Are Tiny Drunk Adults

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.