Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,676 members, 7,955,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:18 AM

Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant - NYSC (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant (38488 Views)

What Are These Pregnant Women Doing In NYSC Camp(pic) / Pastor Tunde Bakare's son & NYSC commandant trade slaps in NYSC Ondo camp / List Of Corp Members Killed In Bauchi As Released By Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Rhemmymatician(m): 9:02am On Jul 08, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^
What are you saying sir? What are you saying? undecided

In one breath you justify the commandant's actions and in another you wish the victim a quick recovery. Show your hand and quit the doublespeak. There are incidents when blame can be assigned to all the parties in a dispute/conflict. This is NOT the case here. We should not blame the victim here. We have been doing that for far too long. And where has it taken us?

The soldier in question must be punished. Severely.
Pls do read my previous posts as regards a court case. Please do. I'll like to hear your views on that. Then we analogize it to this scenario. Thanks
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by obi2012: 3:54pm On Jul 08, 2013
i dont know where you are coming up with these assumptions.. I think you just discovered the word equal rights.. First of all the military does not discriminate against women. Discriminate would mean looked down upon, but they do separate from men, women and children. Everyone is not equal. The military does not harm unarmed civilians even during wars. The military does not permit female soldiers at the fore front of battle even in the US which is the most advanced when it comes to human rights. So of course there is separation, you just dont know what you are talking about.

Every man from when they were little are taught to walk away from the situation when it involves a woman regardless of if she provoked you or not. Did you witness your dad beating your mom because she said something to him? Regardless of what a woman says to you, if you were well brought up, you should not touch her as a man.

Rhemmymatician:
Bros pls don't cuss/insult. You can get your point across without that.
That said, you asked if I had proper upbringing. Why didn't you ask if the girl(victim) had proper upbringing? Double standards? Or you just not objective.
Just so you know. The military does not discriminate btn a man and a woman. Everybody is equal.
I never blamed the lady wholly. She's PARTLY at fault. Like I said b4, I was so well brought up that, if I were in her shoes I won't suffer her predicament
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Rhemmymatician(m): 4:14pm On Jul 08, 2013
obi2012: i dont know where you are coming up with these assumptions.. I think you just discovered the word equal rights.. First of all the military does not discriminate against women. Discriminate would mean looked down upon, but they do separate from men, women and children. Everyone is not equal. The military does not harm unarmed civilians even during wars. The military does not permit female soldiers at the fore front of battle even in the US which is the most advanced when it comes to human rights. So of course there is separation, you just dont know what you are talking about.

Every man from when they were little are taught to walk away from the situation when it involves a woman regardless of if she provoked you or not. Did you witness your dad beating your mom because she said something to him? Regardless of what a woman says to you, if you were well brought up, you should not touch her as a man.

Bros pls don't cuss/insult.
I agree with you. I just heard the words 'equal right' today, so forgive my eagerness to use it.
Pls do me a favour and read one of my previous posts I wrote(I think the previous page or 2 back) about a court case, and let's try to analogize it to this.

A drunk driver hits someone standing squarely in the middle of the road. And you blame only the driver? (Forgive my analogies) pls answer.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Rhemmymatician(m): 4:26pm On Jul 08, 2013
obi2012: i dont know where you are coming up with these assumptions.. I think you just discovered the word equal rights.. First of all the military does not discriminate against women. Discriminate would mean looked down upon, but they do separate from men, women and children. Everyone is not equal. The military does not harm unarmed civilians even during wars. The military does not permit female soldiers at the fore front of battle even in the US which is the most advanced when it comes to human rights. So of course there is separation, you just dont know what you are talking about.

some countries permit women to fill active combat roles, these are: New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Germany, Norway, Israel, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan. In 2010/11 USA gave it a trial, both eventually scrapped it. Women Fought in WW1 and 2. I hate to digress, but I don't know why you jumped to U.S.A. And what is it with your human right claim. What concern human right with ladies going to war? Are they forcefully enlisted?

Anyway I'm still waiting on your take of the two previous analogies I made. Thanks you sir
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by obi2012: 9:53pm On Jul 08, 2013
you said the military does not discriminate and that women and men are treated equally, i just showed you that they are not treated equally in the military..

I am in the US that is why i used the US as an example. Nigeria military, the country in question also recognizes females as the weaker sex..

You are asking me what it is about human right that i keep bringing it up? Were you not the one that said women are fighting for equal right hence the soldier had the right to slap her?

You did not answer my question, did your dad slap your mom everytime your mom questioned his decisions?

Rhemmymatician:

some countries permit women to fill active combat roles, these are: New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Germany, Norway, Israel, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan. In 2010/11 USA gave it a trial, both eventually scrapped it. Women Fought in WW1 and 2. I hate to digress, but I don't know why you jumped to U.S.A. And what is it with your human right claim. What concern human right with ladies going to war? Are they forcefully enlisted?

Anyway I'm still waiting on your take of the two previous analogies I made. Thanks you sir
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by vickysmilez(f): 10:09pm On Jul 08, 2013
cute shade: God will heal her. The way soldiers treat corpers in camp is too bad.I pray I won't fall their victim this november
just follow deir instructions, nd obey d rules nd regulations nd I bet Ʊ, Ʊ won't v any problem wit dem, not a single one, trust ♍ƺ.

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Rhemmymatician(m): 10:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
obi2012: you said the military does not discriminate and that women and men are treated equally, i just showed you that they are not treated equally in the military..

I am in the US that is why i used the US as an example. Nigeria military, the country in question also recognizes females as the weaker sex..

You are asking me what it is about human right that i keep bringing it up? Were you not the one that said women are fighting for equal right hence the soldier had the right to slap her?

You did not answer my question, did your dad slap your mom everytime your mom questioned his decisions?

1. Human rights can be raised when children are sent to war. Not women. As long as you are of enlistment age, no human rights can say you shouldn't combat cos you are a lady.
2. Equal rights and Human rights are 2 different concepts. Try to differentiate. You are trying to blur the lines between them.
3. Considering my mum was well brought up, she always questioned(if she had to) his decisions respectfully. You think if the lady did the same, she'd be better of now?
4. Pls you have not looked into the analogies I presented.
Thanks
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by VolvoS60(m): 8:57am On Jul 09, 2013
Rhemmymatician:
Sir I would call your attention to a minor case I read of. The lady was arrested for something petty, I think the sentence was for her to do community service for 2 weeks or so. All through the sitting, she(the offender) was always chipping in snide remarks. After the Judge announced her sentence(community service) on her way out of the court she mouthed a 'Bleep-you' to the judge. Know what the 'wicked' 'brute' of a judge did? He called her back and handed the 'poor' 'innocent' girl a 3-month jail sentence, citing 'contempt to court' and some corny BS.
As a man of the law, wouldn't you say what the judge did is justified? Did anyone cuss the judge for that? No! He was praised gan sef.
My point is the judge was not blamed for using the extent of his powers against a 'poor', 'defenceless' lady. But when its a military man you now blame him?
As much as I respect you sir( I sure say you go reach my papa for age) I think you are not being objective.

^^^^
In your last post, you asked me to take a look at your post above and extract an analogy.

There is no analogy here. A soldier broke a young woman's back in a dispute over sleeping arrangements and you want to compare that situation with another young lady already in the dock who insulted a presiding magistrate? What are you saying? Where is the link between these two events? angry

I don't think you know what 'corny' means. If you did you wouldn't have used it in your write-up. I would also suggest you try to find out what 'contempt of court' means too.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Rhemmymatician(m): 11:24am On Jul 09, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^
In your last post, you asked me to take a look at your post above and extract an analogy.

There is no analogy here. A soldier broke a young woman's back in a dispute over sleeping arrangements and you want to compare that situation with another young lady already in the dock who insulted a presiding magistrate? What are you saying? Where is the link between these two events? angry

I don't think you know what 'corny' means. If you did you wouldn't have used it in your write-up. I would also suggest you try to find out what 'contempt of court' means too.

Thank you very much for your veiled insults sir.
She was deprived of her sleeping space <---punishment enough---> she was given community service.
As a result of her unbridled tongue, the soldier hurt her <---extra punishment---> as a result of her unbridled tongue, the judge gave her a harsher sentence.
The soldier didn't have to hurt her. The magistrate didn't have to punish her further.

I'm sorry you don't see any analogy.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by obi2012: 1:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
How can you compare a judge with a military captain? A judge is elected to office to interpret and enforce the law. A military captain is recruited or hired using public funds to protect the citizens against foreign invasions or during times of unrest? How can you compare three months in jail to a lifetime of not being able to walk?

Rhemmymatician:
She was deprived of her sleeping space <---punishment enough---> she was given community service.
As a result of her unbridled tongue, the soldier hurt her <---extra punishment---> as a result of her unbridled tongue, the judge gave her a harsher sentence.
The soldier didn't have to hurt her. The magistrate didn't have to punish her further.

I'm sorry you don't see any analogy.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by obi2012: 1:42pm On Jul 09, 2013
What is the difference beween human and equal rights? Please post up the dictionary definition of the two shocked

Rhemmymatician:
1. Human rights can be raised when children are sent to war. Not women. As long as you are of enlistment age, no human rights can say you shouldn't combat cos you are a lady.
2. Equal rights and Human rights are 2 different concepts. Try to differentiate. You are trying to blur the lines between them.
3. Considering my mum was well brought up, she always questioned(if she had to) his decisions respectfully. You think if the lady did the same, she'd be better of now?
4. Pls you have not looked into the analogies I presented.
Thanks
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by BonnyDominic: 2:28pm On Jul 09, 2013
MERCY IS NOT CRIPPLE OR CRIPPLED BUT IN GOOD HEALTH. My name is John Boniface Dominic(state code An/12B/0540), the then president, Anambra NYSC dance dramma troup. When an incident of this magnitude happen, especially at the dentriment of one person leaving the other person unhurt, the latter seem to be a killer and liable to be crusified. First, I want to use this medium to thank Nairaland for granting me the opportunity of becoming part of this wonderful family and also those who have contributed in this issue, ur comment actually shown how caring Nigerians could be in time of distress. I also thank THE SUN paper for their efforts in this issue but fault their insensitivity twards publishing one sided grievious case that has to do with life and has been read by about 30,000 viewers. The story line only quotes the victim(Mercy), her father, uncle and the doctors but never indicated if the state cordinator(Anambra state), the then camp commdnt(who is not a spirit), or any other person was consulted/interviewed before publishing an incident of 4 month ago. Miss Mercy who is presently healthy and is set to resume her NYSC duty in Awka, gave a true story of the incident but i am here to correct the negative notion raised by her uncle against the motherhood of d state cord that "she tried to cover the C.C. I could still recall the sleepless night she(state cord) had, and series of meetings she summoned before the arrival of Mercy's parent. I want to state categorically here, after my one service year experience in Anambra that the NYSC Anambra state cord. Mrs Bassey.I.Ekpe is a woman that can go at any length to ensure the comfort and total welfare of her corp members, describing us as "My Children" accompanied wit a mother Heart of forgiveness whenever a corp go astray(offend), a kind gesture Mercy also enjoyed. The camp commandant, whose action i'm not in support, actually showned high level of remoarsefulness for his action as he visited and spent time beside her bed through the night and other hospital where she was referred to here in Anambra (dont know about Lagos), and also promise to foot the bills as the news also quote. Mercy is like a sister to me whose pain i also shared just as some good friends out there did, but our Press should be careful and endeavour to make reseach and scrutinize the two side of the coin before tossing it. Mercy is fine today to the glory of God the Father, Son and Holy spirit. Thnks to everyone.

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Rhemmymatician(m): 3:46pm On Jul 09, 2013
That's good then. All is well that ends well. We can see that the captain isn't the inhumane monster you all called him. The lady is fine, she walks, isn't crippled.
Let's all learn a lesson(from both sides) and move on

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by olumyde(m): 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2013
THE END. *it was like a movie* If you fine yourself in the commandant's shoes, CONTROL YOUR ANGER. If u find yourself in the girl's shoes, CONTROL YOUR MOUTH. *peace out*

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by joewee87: 12:13am On Jul 11, 2013
Rhemmymatician:
" ...And if yes could you please quote one that says if an officer of a lesser rank insults his superior the punishment is fatality?".... Depending on the level of insult, he could actually be court martialled
"..... insults his superior the punishment is fatality?" Sir, Fatality implies death, the lady didn't die.

Thank you very much. You said court martialed right not beaten up (so in order words surmoned up to hear his defence case)...so why wasn't the lady surmoned to plead her case So now you see that the commandant acted rashly and of his own volition clearly neglecting military codes and ethics.
Yes the lady did not die but who knows her chances of ever walking again! Do you know how that feels
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by joewee87: 12:39am On Jul 11, 2013
[quote author=Rhemmymatician]

Hey bro according to what that guy wrote in response to you i don't think he insulted you...at least not verbally. Anyway i just read that the lady is doing ok and going about with her duty and even resuming back at the camp which am happy for her but don't really like the idea of going back. To God be the glory and i do hope we all could learn from this experience most especially the commandant. Women are fragile and need to be handled with care.

2 Likes

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Desammy(m): 7:21pm On Jul 12, 2013
alyarmouk: A captain of the NIGERIAN ARMY directed that all shld go inside and you were still explaining.......... he even pushed you and you had the guts to ask the captain if he cld push his sister like that walahi u get luck na only spine you damage..
shows how rude you are.
B.C.
scencerily speaking she made a very big mistake to start exchanging words with him. Commandant 4 dat matter. She would hv knwn dat som pple in dis our country is above d law. Although they said no one is above d law. My sister all na lie...i pray da t God wil heal u.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by BonnyDominic: 9:36am On Jul 25, 2013
Hmmmmm, cud dea b Nigerians wit great human feelings? I hail ur gud spirited contributions towards dis issue in all ramifications, but i am glad to inform all Nairalanders dat Mercy Okpithe is hale nd healthy nd has resumed her place of pry assignment at Nise, awka south of Anamra state, i visited her d nx day(21st july) she arrived d state 4rm Lag. U all should praise nd thank God 4 her nd there shud be no more quarrelling. Thanks, Ese, imena, nagode, midewasi, susum, migwo, ayan etc.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Did Your Relationship Survive After NYSC? / What Business Can I Do with N500k, Advice Pls / Corpers Distribute Relief Materials In Oproama, Rivers state (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.