Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. (15247 Views)

The Need To Stop Nigerian Filling Stations From Selling Above The Pump Price / FUEL SCARCITY: 3 Types Of People That Can Get Fuel Easily At The Fuel Stations / Air Force Corporal Slaps Inspector At Filling Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by LewsTherin: 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2013
Dude, I feel your articles. Actually went through your links.
1. You sound sensible
2. You have worked at it so you should know
3. Engineering and sociologically wise, your conclusions have merit.
Dude, I feel you.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Odunharry(m): 5:49pm On Jul 05, 2013
fuel attendants...sme are bad gan...try buyng fuel of 15litrs in ur car,dm go pump air of 5litres put 4 u and 10litrs fuel..

Nyc n informative thread..
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 05, 2013
Odunharry: fuel attendants...sme are bad gan...try buyng fuel of 15litrs in ur car,dm go pump air of 5litres put 4 u and 10litrs fuel..

Nyc n informative thread..

As opposed to pumping air, I think all they do is alter the meters. The meters need to be calibrated often. I think what they do is alter it so when you think you're really getting 4gallons, you may be getting 2 gallons. A lot of U.S stations were exposed on ABC doing this. Best way to find out is by knowing the capacity of your tank. If you find out that a certain station is always short-changing you, switch to another one.
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by diportivo: 6:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
On two diff occassions in two diff stations in ikorodu,attendants av tried to cheat me by altering the meter....I asked for 2k worth of fuel to be dispensed;lo and behold d meter jumped from 1500 to 2000 without counting 1501 and so on....luckily I was. Watching the meter.the guy started stories of how faulty the pump is and blah blah..I sha had ∂ remaining 500 sold...fastforward. To a diff station;and the same scenario played out.rogues if u ask me.both stations are in ikorodu town..how to kw??if the pump usually makes sound wen the amount is being punched in prior to sale,it shld sound twice more dan the ∂ amt of ∂ figure u wanna buy.eg,if u wanna buy 1k,it shld sound 6 times before dispensing.if it sounds more dan six times,u r abt to be short changed.cos by the time u look at ∂ meter,∂ exact amount will show.also,keep ur eyes on the meter always
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Mobsync(m): 6:38pm On Jul 05, 2013
LewsTherin: Dude, I feel your articles. Actually went through your links.
1. You sound sensible
2. You have worked at it so you should know
3. Engineering and sociologically wise, your conclusions have merit.
Dude, I feel you.

Thank you! smiley smiley smiley
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by lawsbanks: 7:32pm On Jul 05, 2013
Thanks for the information! But I'd like to ask of the known fact that when u carry a gallon to some filling stations, the gallon seldom gets filled while in some others u may begin to look for another gallon to put ur remaining fuel.......
Mobsync: 1. The filling station with most commercial transporters as customers is the best.

Ntoi tongue! You've been deceiving yourself. The filling station with alot commercial drivers and motorcyclists as customers is not usually the best. Their customer base depends on location and sometimes, how attractive the filling station looks- nothing else. Besides, transporters tend to use a particular station because they'll be offered some free fuel if they purchase a particular amount.

2. If the meter isn't rubbed, it would continue from the figure shown on the screen.

This’s untrue for digital meters used in filling stations. Once the machine's off, the meter starts from zero irrespective of what was on it when you arrived. It's only when the machine isn't off that it continues from the figure on the meter. But to be on the safer side, I suggest you always make sure the attendant rubs the meter.

3. The faster the pump dispensing speed, the smaller the fuel sold.

Today, we have super fast jets, boats, cars, missiles and yes, fuel dispensing pumps. Filling stations are supposed to be places you go, purchase fuel and leave as fast as possible thus, pumps are made to be fast with new variants made to be faster. So stop saying; "this your pump is too fast" after purchasing fuel or do you want to spend the whole day there?

4. Fuel remains in the hose after sales.

Some meters start reading the moment fuel leaves the pump to the hose while some, when the fuel leaves the underground tank, it depends on where the engine (turbine) is. So after being attended to, fuel remains on the hose, right? Not really.
Let me explain it like this; when you sip a drink with a straw and stop afterwards, you notice that droplets might remain in the straw and these droplets, as you've probably noticed are usually negligible. That's the same way a filling station pump operates. Due to the very high pressure used when dispensing the fuel, nothing remains in the hose and if something remains, it's usually negligible.

5. Filling stations always have change.

As you probably know, smaller denomination currencies are becoming an endangered species in Nigeria, with special thanks to Mr Sanusi Lamido of CBN who wants them scrapped and Nigerian banks who deploy only 1000 naira notes and in rare cases, 500 naira notes to their ATM's. Besides most customers who go to filling stations don't bring change and when they do, it's usually bad or faded money. People are also known to rob filling station attendants in the guise of seeking for change or like in my case, attempt to change "fake" money.

6. Filling stations run on generators 24/7.

Filling stations are like other regular businesses vying for survival. They also use PHCN but have usually have 2 or more generators on stand-by. So should there be power outage when you're being attended to, don't panic. Where your sales stopped would be displayed the moment power is restored. But note that after power's been restored, some pumps can't continue selling from there but start all over from zero so ensure you know how much fuel has been sold to you and how much more remains. Clear?

7. The attendant is a poor, hungry wrecked illiterate.

Just like me, some of these attendants are students of higher institutions on holiday or strike, , B.Sc, OND.HND, college of education graduates or even youth corpers awaiting posting. They're just doing the job to keep body and soul together. That's why if you frequent a filling station regularly, you'll notice that the attendants tend to be replaced frequently.

8. All filling station owners are rich.

Wrong! As explained earlier, filling stations are just like other businesses trying to survive. The owners are not usually "swimming" in money as most people believe. Infact, due to the unpredictable nature of the Nigerian oil sector, alot of these filling stations depend on bank loans to survive. Doubt me? Ask your banker friend.

9. The attendant must hold the nozzle during sales.

Back there at the filling station where I worked, I met customers who wanted me to hold the nozzle all through the sales. Fact is, nozzles have a knob which can be used to hold down the part the attendant presses down so when the attendant hangs the nozzle, stop shouting and making unnecessary noise, if no fuel is being sold, the meter won't read- chikena!

10. Filling stations sell air.

If you needed air, you should have visited a vulcanizer or simply left your tank open.
Liquid (not air) has to pass through the pump itself if the meter's to read. If the meter's reading, then it means fuel's being sold. Forget about putting your ear or hand near your fuel tank to know whether it's warm. AIR CAN'T BE SOLD, so stop deceiving yourself.

SOURCE: ME. I once worked at a filling station during my 100-200 level holidays and I got to know all these. I also wrote two articles about filling stations for aabnigeria.com but won’t be able to post them here due to their policies against copying full articles.

To read 6 shocking facts about Nigerian filling stations, CLICK HERE

To read 4 filling station tips to avoid getting ripped off CLICK HERE
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by initiate: 7:39pm On Jul 05, 2013
[quote author=Mobsync]1. The filling station with most commercial transporters as customers is the best.

Ntoi tongue! You've been deceiving yourself. The filling station with alot commercial drivers and motorcyclists as customers is not usually the best. Their customer base depends on location and sometimes, how attractive the filling station looks- nothing else. Besides, transporters tend to use a particular station because they'll be offered some free fuel if they purchase a particular amount.

Agreed that danfo and okada are reckless touts but a station patronised by taxis is likely efficient cos those guys are very careful and need to maximise profit
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by initiate: 7:42pm On Jul 05, 2013
Mobsync: 1. The filling station with most commercial transporters as customers is the best.

Agreed that danfo and okada are reckless touts but a station patronised by taxis is likely efficient cos those guys are very careful and need to maximise profit
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by steffans(m): 8:33pm On Jul 05, 2013
OP u sure say na only holidays u do 4 d Station....
Seems u spent d whole 4 yrs der....lol..

Btwn, its very informative.. Nyc1...
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 05, 2013
yuzedo: Say "God".. undecided
fool
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Jarus(m): 12:13am On Jul 06, 2013
Coming from a family that has a filling station (sold fuel at our FS during holidays once in a while after secondary school and during school strikes) and working for 4 years as asset accountant (and stations are one of the most key assets) in Nigeria's biggest oil retailing major, I think I also know quite much about this.

I agree with all what you said except where you said FS don't sell air. Well, when people say FS sells air, it is a term generally meant to mean they have been shortchanged. The commonest way of shortchanging is adjusting meter such that, outwardly it will read 5 ltrs dispensed, but in actual fact only 4 litres got to the tank.

The illiterate transporters and drivers wondering how this 'magic' was done resorted to saying they have been sold air.

Also, until recently, majority of filling station attendants are barely literate o level holders or dropouts.

I agree with you on others, especially the part that 'FS owners are rich'. Its not so lucrative a business, especially for independents. You may not make up to 200,000 on a 33,000 ltrs sale. Yet you will incur station costs(pay your attendants, maintain station etc). Plenty wahala, little returns. That's why many of them adjust metres to make sustainable though fishy profits.
Mobsync: 1. The filling station with most

commercial transporters as customers is the best.

2. If the meter isn't rubbed, it would continue from the figure shown on the screen.

This’s untrue for digital meters used in filling stations. Once the machine's off, the meter starts from zero irrespective of what was on it when you arrived. It's only when the machine isn't off that it continues from the figure on the meter. But to be on the safer side, I suggest you always make sure the attendant rubs the meter.

3. The faster the pump dispensing speed, the smaller the fuel sold.

Today, we have super fast jets, boats, cars, missiles and yes, fuel dispensing pumps. Filling stations are supposed to be places you go, purchase fuel and leave as fast as possible thus, pumps are made to be fast with new variants made to be faster. So stop saying; "this your pump is too fast" after purchasing fuel or do you want to spend the whole day there?

4. Fuel remains in the hose after sales.

Some meters start reading the moment fuel leaves the pump to the hose while some, when the fuel leaves the underground tank, it depends on where the engine (turbine) is. So after being attended to, fuel remains on the hose, right? Not really.
Let me explain it like this; when you sip a drink with a straw and stop afterwards, you notice that droplets might remain in the straw and these droplets, as you've probably noticed are usually negligible. That's the same way a filling station pump operates. Due to the very high pressure used when dispensing the fuel, nothing remains in the hose and if something remains, it's usually negligible.

5. Filling stations always have change.

As you probably know, smaller denomination currencies are becoming an endangered species in Nigeria, with special thanks to Mr Sanusi Lamido of CBN who wants them scrapped and Nigerian banks who deploy only 1000 naira notes and in rare cases, 500 naira notes to their ATM's. Besides most customers who go to filling stations don't bring change and when they do, it's usually bad or faded money. People are also known to rob filling station attendants in the guise of seeking for change or like in my case, attempt to change "fake" money.

6. Filling stations run on generators 24/7.

Filling stations are like other regular businesses vying for survival. They also use PHCN but have usually have 2 or more generators on stand-by. So should there be power outage when you're being attended to, don't panic. Where your sales stopped would be displayed the moment power is restored. But note that after power's been restored, some pumps can't continue selling from there but start all over from zero so ensure you know how much fuel has been sold to you and how much more remains. Clear?

7. The attendant is a poor, hungry wrecked illiterate.

Just like me, some of these attendants are students of higher institutions on holiday or strike, , B.Sc, OND.HND, college of education graduates or even youth corpers awaiting posting. They're just doing the job to keep body and soul together. That's why if you frequent a filling station regularly, you'll notice that the attendants tend to be replaced frequently.

8. All filling station owners are rich.

Wrong! As explained earlier, filling stations are just like other businesses trying to survive. The owners are not usually "swimming" in money as most people believe. Infact, due to the unpredictable nature of the Nigerian oil sector, alot of these filling stations depend on bank loans to survive. Doubt me? Ask your banker friend.

9. The attendant must hold the nozzle during sales.

Back there at the filling station where I worked, I met customers who wanted me to hold the nozzle all through the sales. Fact is, nozzles have a knob which can be used to hold down the part the attendant presses down so when the attendant hangs the nozzle, stop shouting and making unnecessary noise, if no fuel is being sold, the meter won't read- chikena!

If you needed air, you should have visited a vulcanizer or simply left your tank open.
Liquid (not air) has to pass through the pump itself if the meter's to read. If the meter's reading, then it means fuel's being sold. Forget about putting your ear or hand near your fuel tank to know whether it's warm. AIR CAN'T BE SOLD, so stop deceiving yourself.

SOURCE: ME. I once worked at a filling station during my 100-200 level holidays and I got to know all these. I also wrote two articles about filling stations for aabnigeria.com but won’t be able to post them here due to their policies against copying full articles.

To read 6 shocking facts about Nigerian filling stations, CLICK HERE

To read 4 filling station tips to avoid getting ripped off CLICK HERE

1 Like

Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by kardinalz: 1:55am On Jul 06, 2013
dey adjustin dere meter is not even deir fault cos atyms even @ d depot d price r very high(up to 97naira/litre)den u check d cost of transportn d product and oda tinz,d only way dey can mke profit is to adjust d meter,
As u said op,its only btw d owner n d manager it hz notn 2 do wit d attendant.
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Ykwtd: 3:59am On Jul 06, 2013

Hmmm.. Very educational and informative but i have to challenge you on this #10... Filling station didn't sell air then but give it for free. You will notice that in those old filling stations till the 90s they would write FREE AIR as what they have in stock for their customers. So if you buy from them there were standy vulcanizers that will help you with your tyres.... But you know the economy of the country has changed everything
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by marex: 8:08am On Jul 06, 2013
10. Filling stations sell air.If you needed air, you should have visited a vulcanizer or simply left your tank open. Liquid (not air) has to pass through the pump itself if the meter's to read. If the meter's reading, then it means fuel's being sold. Forget about putting your ear or hand near your fuel tank to know whether it's warm. AIR CAN'T BE SOLD, so stop deceiving yourself.

I beg to disagree with you on this tip...... I bought fuel some days back from a Mobil filling station in Mararaba area, outskirts of the FCT. The meter ran while the fuel was being dispensed, I paid got into the car and drove off. I had barely gotten to Abacha barracks when I looked at my fuel gauge shocked behold NGN2k5 fuel had vermoosed into thin air over a less than 2km strecth. My car grinded to a halt almost immediately- no fuel!.....haba bros, if no be air wetin dey com sell giv me naa...9ja I hail angry
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Gbenge77(m): 8:11am On Jul 06, 2013
Fantastic
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Gistwitherico(m): 9:03am On Jul 06, 2013
Filling stations attendants are paid 4 their soon deaths. Definitely due to the high cancerous petrol (lead and hydro carbon) odour they breathe consistently - lung cancer. Its not really a good job and has high future health risk effect. Thats why the westerns hav a unique method of dispensing fuel in their stations with no attendant present.
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by Codedeben: 10:52am On Jul 06, 2013
bro, haba mallam!!! You said everything but didn't explain why esp in Lag you ask them to sell fo you fuel 1K in your gallon but they'll sell 930 naira. Why must they always sell less than ordered amount especially for the customers with kegs?
Nice write up though.
Re: 10 Misconceptions About Nigerian Filling Stations. by lafile(m): 12:32pm On Jul 06, 2013
Its Impossible for a fuel pump to dispense air. No matter what you think or what you have experienced, it is not physically possible.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Culture And Respect / Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan / Have You Been Banned Before? Pls Share.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.