Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,979 members, 7,810,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara (7365 Views)

Ojogbane Adegbe: 'Nigeria Will Burn If I Open Up On Arms Deal' / Lai Mohammed Replies Goodluck Jonathan On Arms Deal Investigation / Dasuki: Changing Stance On Arms Deal, 2014 & 2015.. Pix Attached.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by fkaz(m): 7:21am On Jul 06, 2013
Despite criticisms from some quarters, the Zamfara State government will go ahead with its plan to providearms for men of the state’s vigilance groups because itis part of Governor Yari Abubakar’s administration move to improve security at the grass roots.

Key officials of the state government, who spoke with LEADERSHIP Weekend on the development, said that the arms had been bought and were in the custody of the state police command.

Governor Yari had, during his recent visit to Kizara village where 60 people were killed by gunmen, disclosed that his administration had procured firearms for distribution to the vigilance groups across the state for self-defence and to check incessant attacks by gunmen.

Already, some members of the National Assembly and the state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have kicked against the move and appealed to the state government to tread softly.

Yari had said that the firearms had been purchased with collaboration of the security agencies and were inthe custody of the state police command for the federal government to issue a permit to that effect.

When asked whether the state government would ignore the opposition to the plan and go ahead with its implementation, the special adviser to the governor onmedia and information technology, Alhaji Sani Abdullahi Tsafe, yesterday said that “the issue is with the police and the state government will not say anything again until the process of acquiring the permit is accomplished”.

Tsafe said any further information on the issue should be sought from the state police command, which is in custody of the arms.

But a senior official of the state government who sought anonymity told LEADERSHIP Weekend that the purchase of the firearms had been done and they were awaiting “distribution to some trusted members of the vigilance groups across the state”.

The exercise will be handled by a highly placed security officer,” he said, adding that “the project was initiated with the collaboration and consent of security agents”.

The official stated that, apart from Zamfara State, “there are some states which legislatures are currentlydeliberating on the issue with a view to making a law backing similar projects”. The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) is currently working on how to come up with a common decision on the issue, he stated.

“I don’t want to make an issue out of this,” he said. “This has been the practice in some parts of this country, particularly when one looks at the situation in the Niger Delta. Who arms the militants in that area who are also civilians?”

The state commissioner of police, Mr Akila Usman Gwary, did not respond to enquiries on the position of the police on the matter. Phone calls and text messages sent to him were not replied.

The speaker of the state House of Assembly, Hon. Sanusi Garba Rikiji, could not be reached for clarification on any resolution or law passed by the legislature backing the purchase and distribution of firearms to the vigilance groups, but a member of the legislature confirmed that the Assembly was yet to deliberate on the matter.
Similar attempts to get the police high command to comment on the Zamfara incident failed. The force spokesman, CSP Frank Mba, did not respond to repeated requests on the police’s stand on the issue atthe time of filing this report.

Although he promised to make an official statement on the statement credited to the Zamfara State governor, he did not do so by press time.

But senior police officers told LEADERSHIP Weekend under condition of anonymity that the proliferation of guns in the country had become a worrisome trend, especially against the backdrop of wanton killings of innocent Nigerians as well as security agents. They averred that the current wave of insurgency might not end unless the government blocked all avenues of illegal arms entering the country.

One of the officers disclosed that police measures aimed at mopping up arms and wresting them from the wrong hands had not arrested the situation. According to him, on the contrary, almost on a daily basis, guns continue to find their way into the hands of criminals.

The officer revealed that, at present, state governors are in the practice of procuring arms for private individuals who they claimed are helping to maintain law and order in their states. He affirmed that the caseof the Zamfara State governor was not the first of its kind, saying that “they governors) are doing it secretly”.
The officers were all in agreement that statistics had shown that the guns in private hands far outnumber those with the security agents.
http://leadership.ng/news/060713/no-going-back-arms-vigilance-groups-zamfara
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by otokx(m): 7:47am On Jul 06, 2013
This is how Rwanda genocide started with the creation and arming of private militias.

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by captainbraide: 8:23am On Jul 06, 2013
VERY SOON,RIVERS STATE GOVERNOR CHIBUIKE AMAECHI WILL FOLLOW SUIT.THIS SHOWS THAT NIGERIA IS GRADUALLY CRUMBLING

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by fkaz(m): 8:49am On Jul 06, 2013
Indirectly creating his own state police, Very soon civilian JTF in maidugurie, omabtasa militia in nasarawa will be harm also. Already boko-haram and fulani heard men are fully armed the rate at which arm and violence is increase in nigeria is a sign of goodbye nigeria, i pray we don't go the way of rwanda

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by gbadexy(m): 9:09am On Jul 06, 2013
Well I don't know what the fuss is all about.
Is it until armed men kill them all? This is indirectly having a state police. Even america has federal, state police and even armed county sheriff similar to local government.
If the civilian jtf is reformed, armed and trained, I know insecurity would become a thing in the past as theyy know their terrain better.
All the people advocating against the creation of state police are doing so because of the fear of secession by a region with armed indigenous men but the benefits far outweighs the flimsy excuse that governors would use them against political enemies. Politicians don't need state police to go after their adversaries, there are thugs and assassins to help them go after them.

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by cupid4ig(m): 9:49am On Jul 06, 2013
As long as the jtf keep close eyes on those they give the weapons this shouldn't be a problem, but if it gets into the wrong hands that's where the problem starts
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by cupid4ig(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2013
otokx: This is how Rwanda genocide started with the creation and arming of private militias.
mehn I cant stop crying after I watched that documentation
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Andrew3(m): 9:56am On Jul 06, 2013
cupid4ig: As long as the jtf keep close eyes on those they give the weapons this shouldn't be a problem, but if it gets into the wrong hands that's where the problem starts

Who are the JTF? people with arms, the guys also has arms so what differentiate them?
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by ichommy(m): 10:03am On Jul 06, 2013
gbadexy: Well I don't know what the fuss is all about.
Is it until armed men kill them all? This is indirectly having a state police. Even america has federal, state police and even armed county sheriff similar to local government.
If the civilian jtf is reformed, armed and trained, I know insecurity would become a thing in the past as theyy know their terrain better.
All the people advocating against the creation of state police are doing so because of the fear of secession by a region with armed indigenous men but the benefits far outweighs the flimsy excuse that governors would use them against political enemies. Politicians don't need state police to go after their adversaries, there are thugs and assassins to help them go after them.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by inosend: 10:07am On Jul 06, 2013
SMH. I just don't like the look of this.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 06, 2013
Are we going the way of rwanda?
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by misterh(m): 10:13am On Jul 06, 2013
I think this is bad. How will the govt recover those arms when the crises are over? This is like creating a future crisis for the future. Why create a future problem just because you want to end the present problem What is the guarantee that these vigilantes will actually use those arms judiciously?
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by lacasa: 10:24am On Jul 06, 2013
It all stems from misdirected policy directives by the govt.

What do Nigerians want d state govt to do, in a country where the police is incapable of fulfilling its statutory obligations due to Inadequate Manpower, funding, training n equipment.

The NSA just yesterday, moaned abt how the military is doing the job of the police in the country, n its overstretched resources n the army already.

Abubakar Tsav, was the only one that was shouting on mass-media against the policy of using the military to do the police's basic duty being fighting crime.

It's not done anywhere, the trillions used to fund the JTf, should αve bn spent on upgrading the NPF to world standard, n this is how its done where best practices r adopted. (But, trust now, will ihejirika n azazi have allowed those sweet Trillion naira security contracts pass them by? Lie! Lie!!) and ​ so​, we r where we r today.

The criminal wave is getting too much to take in that state, n the govt has to find the next best thing i.e vigilantes
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by knash1(m): 10:29am On Jul 06, 2013
gbadexy: Well I don't know what the fuss is all about.
can u compare the level of education of american sherrif to dat of illitrate northern and God forsaken northern vigilante group. this is how boko haram started. northern governors seems to be dey problem of this nation. try watch " sometime in april" and " hotel ruwanda" to get the feel of what will happen wen u arm illitrate vigilante with weapons.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 06, 2013
What does this constitution say in respect of this? Are non-state actors allow to bear firearms?

Some people believe they are above the constitution in this country.....that is the same Zamfara state that the former governor introduced the Sharia in the state, knowing fully well that Nigeria constitutionally is a secular state.

They've seen that the President is getting weaker politically...that is why someone can mute this kind of blatant rascality.

And these are the same set of people that will shout down on any idea of State police..

What will now stop Lagos from arming the LASTMA and KAI?
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 06, 2013
thats ok, provided they create a way in which they can collect the arms after the terror saga.
But i know my country for negligence, if those "civillian task force" are not closely monitored, then a repetition of the scenario of the niger delta before the amnesty is brewing up.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by knash1(m): 10:38am On Jul 06, 2013
ilugunboy: What does this constitution say in respect of this? Are non-state actors allow to bear firearms?

Some people believe they are above the constitution in this country.....that is the same Zamfara state that the former governor introduced the Sharia in the state, knowing fully well that Nigeria constitutionally is a secular state.

They've seen that the President is getting weaker politically...that is why someone can mute this kind of blatant rascality.

What will now stop Lagos from arming the LASTMA and KAI?
not posible. because fashola is not an illitrate...

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 06, 2013
While some of us clamour for state police, it baffles me that the ordinary man his more interested in the argument of political tool than his own security. Let the constitution allow for state police.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by kingthreat(m): 10:47am On Jul 06, 2013
If there was any faith in the Nigerian police this wouldn't happen. Well I believe till tomorrow that in a state of insecurity, it's better to carry arms than wait like a lamb to be slaughtered.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by shereef19: 11:09am On Jul 06, 2013
Nigerian Youths wake up, We have no other
country except Nigeria, We have been suffering
in silence while our Leaders put our future in
their bank accounts. How can we remain like
this? How can a youth go to school and suffered
to graduate at the end no job. You are almost 40
and still your future is as bleak as a dark room.
Did your parents send you to school to sit at
home because our Government have failed us.
Let us come out one day and say No. We must
not remain like this, we cannot all travel abroad to
find a better life, our better life is here in our
country. We have the money, oil and resources
but only a selected few have continue to suck it
dry why we keep believing God for a change,
wake up now I challenge you. We need 500,000
youths in each of the 36states to challenge the
Government. We say NO, we need rebuild this
nation, we will vacate those who stand on our
way as they are considered the enemy. A man
cannot have billions of naira while millions of
youths roam the streets every day looking for
daily bread. Our young men must not all be
kidnappers, our young girls must not all be
prostitutes. Get Ready I tell you. The time has
come for us to react, the only way our
Government listens is violence, they have shown
it to the Niger delta militants and now they are
planning to show it to the boko haram..whereas a
simple gesture of N20,000 per month to the
unemployed was rejected and you pay militants
N75,000 per month. How much do they pay as
minimum wage? How much do they pay to
elected officers, we are going to revolt. Nigeria
will burn to be rebuilt again like Libya, Iraq,
Egypt and Tunisia...please spread this message
unless you want to die in poverty in a country
where God has destined all of us to be happy and
prosperous...!!!pls join the group on facebook
tagged "nigerian youths movement for
revolution" Pls send this msg to all ur forum,
groups on facebook, 2go, whatsapp, twitter, and
social messengers, cos anytin can happen o!!!
The time is right for us all to say no bad
governance who take the youths for grante

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by harmless011: 11:25am On Jul 06, 2013
This is not good at all, we should not allow proliferation of firearms in this country. Even America is battling on how to save their country from this menace.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by druid06(m): 11:26am On Jul 06, 2013
I thought the fight against this radical Islamic also known a Boko-Haram was the job of the federal government alone to handle with the help of the Civilian J.T.F as lookout and sweepers.

I don't understand why the executive governor of a state would want to arm civilians all in the diguise of protecting themselves.

I thought the main objective of the civilian J.T.F was just for reconnaissance missions only and the fighting was left for the J.T.f?

I am very suspicious of the recent turn of things and the arming of the civilian J.T.F. I suspect there's a catch to all these knowing the 2015 election is just at the corner.

I think Mr. President needs to stand on his feet and make an arbituary decision regarding this matter. I don't know much about Nigerian politics and the Nigerian consitutiion but I know when something's not right and when something smells fishy. Isn't it treason when a state government arm it's citizen for no good reason? I don't even think he has the right since the state governon is not the commander in chief of the armed forces..

All things said, I think this governor is preparing for war come 2015 if the election doesn't go their way. I hope Mr. President is not too stupid to see this.

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 06, 2013
fkaz: Indirectly creating his own state police, Very soon civilian JTF in maidugurie, omabtasa militia in nasarawa will be harm also. Already boko-haram and fulani heard men are fully armed the rate at which arm and violence is increase in nigeria is a sign of goodbye nigeria, i pray we don't go the way of rwanda
that's a very nice way for the Northern nigeria to go into extinction.who cares about them anyway?there only so much we can say.if they don't care about themselves and the lives in their region,I fail to see why we should worry ourselves sick trying to correct them
All southerners(east and west alike)should just get out of there.when they are done killing themselves,we can come and claim their lands and develop our country to our taste.those ppl and their cow-brains are one of the major contributors to lack of development in nigeria.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by hot937(f): 12:40pm On Jul 06, 2013
otokx: This is how Rwanda genocide started with the creation and arming of private militias.

Normal thing in Nigeria abi what do you think has been happening in the Niger Delta since 1999
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Zither(m): 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2013
History, they say, always repeats itself. The governor has displayed his total lack of skills to handle crisis bedeviling the state. Rather, he has ignorantly helped to increase the surge of criminal activities that have spread like cancer in his domain by granting citizens the tools they need to wreck havoc on each other and on innocent citizens alike. He is only a wishful thinker if he thinks he wields the power to call their actions in order once unleashed to the society or that he commands their obedience. Even if he does, it is short-lived. It is only a matter of time before that region is declared another red zone. That is how they begin...with good intentions until their lust for blood is insatiable, then they will invent an excuse for their wanton destruction of human lives and properties.

The funds used in procuring arms should have been channeled towards recruiting jobless and idle youths of the state into the police force. This will achieve the effect of taking out many from the streets with criminal tendencies and propensities to be profitably engaged in discharging their duties for the state. That way, he would have reduced the percentage of crime in the state even if it was by any insignificant number...it is a start.

He should also have concentrated efforts to equip the crime-fighters with more sophisticated arms and facilities as well as furnishing them with training on combating crime without endangering the lives of innocent citizens. I can't imagine how the police, merely equipped with old, rusty pistols, guns, and dilapidated patrol vehicles/motorcycles should adequately and efficiently battle crime when the opposite party is in possession of more sophisticated arms, as well as fit and sturdy vehicles that will effect their escape in the event of capture...it is little wonder why crime seems to have the upper hand and many police men lose their lives in the process. This is a paramount objective that must be considered if the welfare of the state is to be duly preserved from harm. It is a wise investment that must be pursued if the state is to enjoy a greater measure of security.

He should also enlist the help of the army if he is really serious to curb crime. The army and the police should work together in bringing about a lasting solution to the menace of crime and conflicts in the state...after all, two heads are better than one.

Much as we may hate to admit it, the peace and welfare of the state and its communities cannot be entirely left in the hands of the police. Other agencies should be created whose duty it is to assist in battling crime by specializing in a particular activity. For example, an agency could be created whose sole duty is to assist the Force in the area of arms smuggling by mapping out the regions and paths in the state where perpetrators of crime are likely to engage in the exchange and reception of arms....this includes creeks, boundaries between states, forests and other less popular paths of transportation or travel that should be kept under permanent surveillance. This agencies should be accountable to the government of the state and their activities should be reviewed from time to time to ensure they don't deviate from their duties.

Lastly, it is high time we used the old but effective strategy of 'setting a thief to catch a thief'. The police should seek the extensive knowledge of prisoners in their custody once involved in the case they are dealing with to help direct the police to the potential hideouts of the criminals or identify one or two of them who are wanted in the police net. This will help solve many crimes, not all. It may not be a popular strategy of crime fighting neither am I certain of the results but it is worth a shot so that no stone is left unturned in the process of eradicating crime.

Of course these are but scratching the surface of solutions to combating crime. I am sure with the information and intelligent pieces of advice from top-ranking officers in the police force, the army, and those versatile in the field of crime at his disposal he should come up with a more effective and clear-sighted idea on how to trim, curtail and eradicate the spate of crime in his domain.....he needs not add fuel to fire by placing arms in the possession of citizens where he should be doing the opposite

1 Like

Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2013
fkaz: Indirectly creating his own state police, Very soon civilian JTF in maidugurie, omabtasa militia in nasarawa will be harm also. Already boko-haram and fulani heard men are fully armed the rate at which arm and violence is increase in nigeria is a sign of goodbye nigeria, i pray we don't go the way of rwanda
ma guy, count ombatse out, they dont need guns to fight off gunmen. Why do you think before the police incidence, youve heard of fulani vs eggon clash and since the ombatse struck them down, killing the calabash lady, did you hear of fulani attacking eggon again? They dont have their time, so count them out of that equation.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by DrSadikMagaji(m): 3:05pm On Jul 06, 2013
k'nash:
can u compare the level of education of american sherrif to dat of illitrate northern and God forsaken northern vigilante group. this is how boko haram started. northern governors seems to be dey problem of this nation. try watch " sometime in april" and " hotel ruwanda" to get the feel of what will happen wen u arm illitrate vigilante with weapons.
the level of mumunism and racism will neva stop in nairaland.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by sheriffman(m): 4:48pm On Jul 06, 2013
Another BOKO HARAM in the making
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by figment232(m): 7:19pm On Jul 06, 2013
fkaz:

http://leadership.ng/news/060713/no-going-back-arms-vigilance-groups-zamfara
Those Foolish Senators and House of Reps wudnt pass any resolution on this Matter now.If its to Antagonise GEJ,their voices are loudest
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by PastorOla1: 7:23pm On Jul 06, 2013
This is state policing.
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by addicted268(f): 9:26pm On Jul 06, 2013
Wrong move
Re: No Going Back On Arms For Vigilance Groups – Zamfara by Mrl2mo(m): 9:34pm On Jul 06, 2013
After slapping a fellow senator over this issue? Just tell Nigerians the real intention for this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Must Use Force To Destroy The Niger Delta Avengers, Not Dialogue / Obiano Vs Amosun ( So Much For Yolobas Leaders) / Christians Get You PVC The Battle Line Is Drawn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.