Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

11 Things You Need To Throw Away - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / 11 Things You Need To Throw Away (29858 Views)

Dont Throw Those Old Shoes Away / Pretty Girls Sew... how to make beautiful throw pillows.. / 11 Things Your Hairdresser Really Wants You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Things You Need To Throw Away by yunfazz: 10:03am On Jul 06, 2013
Sometimes, we don't know how much load we have acquired as Nigerians, until it is time to move out of that house where we have stayed for so long. You would then begin to see the books you used in primary school, exercise books from secondary school, the cardigan your mum wore to college and even some wedding gifts of your parents that remain unwrapped...lol.

Today is Saturday...enough of this 'it might be useful" mentally that makes us amass unnecessary load. Organize a “throwing out” day every month to make sure that you don’t have clutter building up. Particularly, here are some of the things you should consider purging from your home today:

Old Magazines:
Magazines are usually colorful and beautiful...so much so that we think they should automatically go into an archive of issues and editions, especially if we are ardent readers of particular titles. However, you should ask yourself what you have done with the pile of magazines lying around you? How many have you read cover-to-cover again and again. You had better go and exchange them all for puff-puff...lol!
On a more serious note, if you have an article that really speaks to you, you can scan a digital image of it and keep it in your computer. Or keep a folder of magazine clippings if you like saving magazine articles.Once you're done, simply forget about how much you bought the "expensive" magazine and do away with the rest!

Receipts, Bills and Documents
Don't throw away the receipt of your Laptop o...just in case you meet a 9ja policeman on the road...lol. Throw away receipts for items that you aren’t planning on returning or selling, and ones that you won’t need to use come tax time. Also, why keep the deposit slip of a banking transaction for a year; when the person you sent money to has received, spent and even forgotten about the money.

Clothes:
Use the two-year-rule for clothes-get rid of apparel that you haven’t worn in two years. Note that I didn't say you should wear your cloths for just two years o...I only said, if you have not worn it in two years, then you are most likely not to wear it anymore in a lifetime!

Books:
You are a medical doctor, planning to get married...but somewhere in your house, you still have the likes of Ali, Simbi, Edet and Agbo residing in your bookshelf. Common man! Beautiful memories they bring...but you just have to let them go.

In doing this, you may however decide to leave some textbooks you think may come in handy irrespective of what class you used them. For basic English principles for instance, you may always have to refer to your Brighter Grammar, Mastering English etc. But having done Common Entrance and passed it twenty years ago, what is your "Odiaka" still doing in your house?!

Don't throw away books though...you can give them out or even sell them out to people who will re-sell them at cheaper rates.

Medicine and Vitamins:
Yes, it's good to have a first aid box or a medicine closet but when medicine stays there for too long, you have expired drugs in your hands.Take a look at your medicine closet and clear out drugs that have expired, medicine that has sat on your shelf for too long, or ones that you no longer use. Do not also forget to check what the proper disposal methods for your drugs are. First, check to see what the proper disposal methods are.

Plastics:
We can so keep plastics! Plastic spoons, cups, plates, buckets, etc. collected as souvenir from "owambe" parties do not cease to seem ever so useful to us. Check the kitchen, bathrooms and everywhere for plastics that are no longer in use, and you can dispose of them.

Bags and Shoes: Just like cloths that seem ever so appealing to us until they are condemned, bags and shoes will always appeal to our sense of usefulness, as long as they can still be worn or carried. But it is not until when a shoe gets totally condemned that you dispose of it...if you have worn it for so long that you now have new ones that are the "reigning champions", you can simply give it away to people who will find it more useful.

Plastic Bottles:
Yes, we always want to store-up water in the refrigerator and all that...but that does not mean that every plastic bottle should be treasured with such n great care; except of course, you are into the business of selling "sobo"...or "kunu"...lol! Storing water in the fridge works best with bottles of the same size, you can specially plan for that. Once you have, you can consume the content of your plastic drink and forget about the bottle!

Electronics and their Corresponding Packs:
As part of your archives, you are saving electronics as per their evolution...you should seriously consider disposing of some of them...abeg! This one is the most ridiculous- the television is condemned already but the pack with which your father bought it in the 70's is still lying graciously somewhere...common!

Jewellery:
The jewellery you bought years ago has faded already (50 carat "panda", my brother calls it...hehehe), but it is still lying somewhere in your trinket box. You are probably thinking that you will need some part of it someday, maybe the hook, to fit another jewellery that is getting spoilt...but by so doing, you only subscribe to wearing "panda" for a life time....hehehe!

Bottles of Cosmetics and etc.
Okay...sometimes these producers come up with promos and they ask us to submit wrappers or containers of their products to claim a prize...but are you seriously preparing for that? How can we explain that you have empty bottles of perfumes lying on your dressing table? Because they were expensive when you bought them? Some ladies keep the bottles of their creams as if to say it is a medal for taking care of their skins...haba!

So...there you go...try to define the things that are really useful and let go of the others. Don't forget that some of these things lying redundant to you might be useful to some other persons. This is something you do time after time, and not just at once...so that you remain rational in your judgement. Plus, if it is not your personal property do ask for permission from your family members before you dispose of them!

http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/07/things-to-throw-away.html

Twitter @tutubranch

26 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 06, 2013
Nice one..i wish u could give my mother a call n tell her personally; she still stores up undies belonging to my father who died 5 years ago

18 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by nairaman66(m): 1:33pm On Jul 07, 2013
I will agree with everything.., But Books?? They were made for Keeps!! cheesy

7 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by devigblegble: 1:34pm On Jul 07, 2013

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2013
Some mags contain valuable infos, i treasure them. And their are some books that i just can throw away cos they are scarce in market, guess they are not being reprinted again. Asides those two, others can be done away with.
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by Afrocatalyst: 1:38pm On Jul 07, 2013
Really? I kp my receipts and documents o.
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by bingbagbo(m): 1:41pm On Jul 07, 2013
70000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 LIKES

https://www.nairaland.com/1350135/barter-trade-fiction-nairaland-characters#16667772 grin
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by cupid4ig(m): 1:42pm On Jul 07, 2013
My receipts n.a. I can't
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by aieromon(m): 1:42pm On Jul 07, 2013
I don't agree with throwing away books and receipts.

I got physics,biology and chemistry textbooks given free by the old Bendel state in my cupboard.
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by moshoodn(m): 1:43pm On Jul 07, 2013
mitsaro: Nice one..i wish u could give my mother a call n tell her personally; she still stores up undies belonging to my father who died 5 years ago

Please do give her a call....

Just a beep and you'll pass this info across.

No big deal unless you've ran outta airtime.

Happy Sunday.

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by Gifted4all(m): 1:53pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nice write up

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by donigspain(m): 1:54pm On Jul 07, 2013
My dad still got ALL the bank tellers he filled while sending money to me during my university days (1st year to final year). All the receipts of electronics he ever bought is still intact in his cupboard even the receipts given to him when he bought the bags of cement he used to build his houses.
My mum, on the other hand, keeps almost everything from sandals, books, shoes etc. She never throws anything away. Anyways, my nieces and nephews (mum's grandchildren) are the ones using all those ancient sandals and shoes.
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 07, 2013
Really nice write up. Don't make a habit of adding 'lol' to everything you deem funny though - it takes away from the overall appeal of the article. I still have books from over 12yrs ago (okeke, ababio et al) cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by cecegorz(m): 1:59pm On Jul 07, 2013
mitsaro: Nice one..i wish u could give my mother a call n tell her personally; she still stores up undies belonging to my father who died 5 years ago
Hahahahahha!
You might just be my cousin o, cos your mumsy and mine are mutual species!
As I was reading the stuff I was just laughing at the conversations I usually have with her anytime I visit her. She's got this penchant for preserving things. May be she'll open a museum one day. Lol

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by braine(m): 2:04pm On Jul 07, 2013
Someone should tell these to my grandmother abeg. She can keep things for Africa!

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by JojoArmani(m): 2:13pm On Jul 07, 2013
12. Fridge. So many people ve damaged refridgerators in their house. Or wen dey buy new new ones dey ignore de old ones.

11 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by nekaa(f): 2:17pm On Jul 07, 2013
And if I don't nko?

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:21pm On Jul 07, 2013
I usually throw away old stuffs as soon as I found out they are not needed anymore. Last Bullet: But old magazines & books are just something else. It's when I throw them away that I ll remember something I had to check in them.

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by lordnammy(m): 2:25pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nice one but I don't believe in throwing away books good once for that matter, my dad kept library wen ever I goes to village I cherish it lot I regret giving away my own books from college to versity

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by anonimi: 2:30pm On Jul 07, 2013
In these days of internet, google and other search engines, you don't need to keep books, magazines etc for longer than a year or two. At that point, it may be useful for others as a donation to some library or school for indigent students.
If you need info you read already you can always search for it on the internet-probably with better results than what you had in the books and magazines you threw away.

@ OP,

why you nor add albums, casette tapes, video casettes and even CDs
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by razzberry2(f): 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2013
Lmao..the book and Doctor example reminds me of my cousin,a medical doctor..dat guy can pack books..even in his car backseat*like seriously*..
The receipts and bills?? Dats so my DAd..even ones as far back as 1986 are stil neatly packed in my house.
Magazines are so me..cant part with those
nice writeup anyways
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by tspun(m): 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2013
hahahahahahahaah......... Pls don't blame her she is tring to keep those memories alive.
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by ichommy(m): 2:34pm On Jul 07, 2013
I will work on dat
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by tspun(m): 2:35pm On Jul 07, 2013
nairaman66: I will agree with everything.., But Books?? They were made for Keeps!! cheesy
is it all books that are worth keepin. Hmm tring to picture out how ur room will look like.
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by tspun(m): 2:35pm On Jul 07, 2013
nairaman66: I will agree with everything.., But Books?? They were made for Keeps!! cheesy
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by pak: 2:37pm On Jul 07, 2013
PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO THE POSTER, IT MIGHT RUIN YOU

Don't throw away old magazines ! - they are invaluable source of information.
Do you know how much the original of the first copy of superman comic book sold last year as a collector's item.
did you know that Halex Haley relied a lot on old preserved documents to write the blockbuster 'ROOTS'. With advices like these future generations will have no link with their past.

Never Throw away Receipts ! One or two files are enough to store them safely - You never know when you might need them. A lot of ppl have gotten into trouble because they could not provide evidence of certain transactions they made

Who throws away books ? BOOKS ? I once spent some months with one of my uncle as a teenager, and all I did during that period was read the literature books his wife had carefully stored away. It was a period of great intellectual leap for me, my diction improved and even my level of thinkin.

If possible , don't throw away clothes,bags, jewelry - give them out. There's likely going to be someone who will see them valuable out there.

14 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by born2boink(m): 2:42pm On Jul 07, 2013
Keeping things is cool and throwing them away should be put into consideration. Remember the era of Ago-elepon, the old school wall clock people thrown away which later sold in million, I thought it was rumour until a friend of mine sold their for 500k.

Throwing cloths away if faded is cool but if not faded should be given to the less privilege, I support that of vitamin and medicine and still which I have my primary school textbook to go through things again, they sometimes sound interested. Don't be surprised that I read the complete textbook of primary 6 when after finishing secondary school, I always read with anger and begging when I was in 6 but funny enough, I read it as story book in after finishing secondary school.

Putting of plastic and some relevant things can be useful in future is silly because you will some times go back to them when the one you are using go broken or destroy and in term of emergency need like you want us paper clean nyansh or wrap something important, you run to your old magazine or beg for papers, they could be reduce but not thrown all away just like that.....5000 dislikes for your post and moderators who set it on frontpage need brain check
Re: 11 Things You Need To Throw Away by AdeniyiA(m): 2:42pm On Jul 07, 2013
Scientists, technologists, artisans etc here would bear me witness to the fact that we rarely throw things away in the hope that probably it might still be useful, and truly so almost all these become useful in the long run. I keep even a small spring from a faulty fused socket that in the long run became useful in remote control springs damaged by rotten battery, so take it, though they make homes look untidy, some things, though small, should be kept, because a small unuseful pin today can save lives tomorrow

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashion Or Madness? Lady Seen Wearing A Jump Suit, Which Covers Part Of Her Bum / Kim Oprah Set To Handover Crown As Audition Holds In Rivers, Abuja / Barbie & Ken In Traditional Yoruba Wedding Fashion Shoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.