Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,704 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

Java Vs C++ - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Vs C++ (4960 Views)

Java Vs C# Which Do You Prefer? / Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? / Java Vs C Sharp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Vs C++ by Z8(m): 3:58pm On Jul 06, 2013
Hello house. I have been into Web designing for a while with my most advanced knowledge being PHP. I really enjoyed my time coding with PHP. the coding aspect, their is no greater joy than reloading that page and it comes out the way you intended. it just peaceful Bliss. so I have decided to also dwell into more advanced programming. And from googling I found java to be a derivative of c++. So the question is this is learning java going to make c++ easier to learn(like reading a summary to understand a book being that its the condensed version of the original). or the other way round. pls note that am willing to put alot of hrs into reading if necessary and I have knowledge of OOP.
Re: Java Vs C++ by Z8(m): 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2013
@ray if you are talking about the web design yes I can. but for the programming language I am yet to know them its on the thread.
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 8:54pm On Jul 06, 2013
Javanian, lets finish it here cool

#perfectThread
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 9:02pm On Jul 06, 2013
spikes C: Javanian, lets finish it here cool

#perfectThread

lmao, @op it all depends on what you want to acheive. Both languages have their own strengths.

But Java Rules cool
Re: Java Vs C++ by lordZOUGA(m): 9:22pm On Jul 06, 2013
Javanian:

lmao, @op it all depends on what you want to acheive. Both languages have their own strengths.

But Java Rules cool
interesting. So, if you are given an iPhone and an "iPhone like" device, which of them will you choose?
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 9:43pm On Jul 06, 2013
Javanian:

But C++ Rules cool

Thank me later wink
Re: Java Vs C++ by Z8(m): 11:06pm On Jul 06, 2013
Z8: @ray if you are talking about the web design yes I can. but for the programming language I am yet to know them its on the thread.
Desktop and mobile application .. of course not like I wanna construct an operating system. but wanna be conversant in at least one programming Lang.
Re: Java Vs C++ by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 06, 2013
@Spikes Perfect Thread!

Whats the reason for your Claim??

BTW, #JavaRocks cool
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 11:43pm On Jul 06, 2013
lordZOUGA:
interesting. So, if you are given a iPhone and an "iPhone like" device, which of them will you choose?

An android device cool

Both the android and the iphone device has its pros and cons
Re: Java Vs C++ by lordZOUGA(m): 11:59pm On Jul 06, 2013
Javanian:

An android device cool

Both the android and the iphone device has its pros and cons
anyway, I was trying to give you an analogy that best defines the comparison between C++ and Java.
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 12:03am On Jul 07, 2013
Judinho59: @Spikes Perfect Thread!

Whats the reason for your Claim??

BTW, #C++Rocks cool

I already stated one, am waiting for you to counter it

BTW, I know cool
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 12:03am On Jul 07, 2013
lordZOUGA:
anyway, I was trying to give you an analogy that best defines the comparison between C++ and Java.

i know that, but java isn't a C++ wannabe, thats what i am trying to show, they both have their pros and cons. it all depends on what you want to acheive...
Re: Java Vs C++ by lordZOUGA(m): 12:05am On Jul 07, 2013
the topic of this thread is misleading. it should be changed to "Java or C++". it is risky to start a Java vs C++ argument, there will be dead bodies and yet no clear winner.
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 12:06am On Jul 07, 2013
Javanian:

i know that, but java isn't a C++ wannabe, thats what i am trying to show, they both have their pros and cons. it all depends on what you want to acheive...

Lets say, i am a lazy person, and i wanna learn a language that does almost everything grin
without actually forcing me to do almost everything undecided

i.e desktop, embedded etc. (Not for mobile and web, in fact things that are not language specific)

What will you chose

And give me reasons sad
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 12:08am On Jul 07, 2013
lordZOUGA: the topic of this thread is misleading. it should be changed to "Java or C++". it is risky to start a Java vs C++ argument, there will be dead bodies and yet no clear winner.

yeah, but the war has already started sad
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 12:19am On Jul 07, 2013
spikes C:

Lets say, i am a lazy person, and i wanna learn a language that does almost everything grin
without actually forcing me to do almost everything undecided

i.e desktop, embedded etc. (Not for mobile and web, in fact things that are not language specific)

What will you chose

And give me reasons sad

No mobile?, No web ? Okay!

Embedded is done with C

Desktop? The only viable advantage C++ has over Java is Speed, Java Desktop apps run on a Virtual Machine which makes it a bit slower than c++ but with improved processor speed et all over the years this is often overlooked. Outside this both can be used to acheive nearly thesame thing. You talked about web servers earlier on, Jakarta Tomcat, Jetty, Simple, Rimfaxe, Reattore are a few web servers written in Java (find more here http://java-source.net/open-source/web-servers). My brother, Java isn't the most popular language in the world for nothing! cool
Re: Java Vs C++ by lordZOUGA(m): 12:30am On Jul 07, 2013
If there are faster processors, that will only make C++ faster.
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 12:33am On Jul 07, 2013
lordZOUGA: If there are faster processors, that will only make C++ faster.

No doubt! But the point is that the speed difference may not be noticed again.

P.s. I am not trying to dispute the fact that c++ is a great language
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 1:35am On Jul 07, 2013
Javanian:

No mobile?, No web ? Okay!

Embedded is done with C

Desktop? The only viable advantage C++ has over Java is Speed, Java Desktop apps run on a Virtual Machine which makes it a bit slower than c++ but with improved processor speed et all over the years this is often overlooked. Outside this both can be used to acheive nearly thesame thing. You talked about web servers earlier on, Jakarta Tomcat, Jetty, Simple, Rimfaxe, Reattore are a few web servers written in Java (find more here http://java-source.net/open-source/web-servers). My brother, Java isn't the most popular language in the world for nothing! cool

Errrm, embedded ain't done with only just C

The basic aim of using a particular language is ease of use (for a particular project) and speed. C++ beats java on both sides
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 1:48am On Jul 07, 2013
spikes C:

Errrm, embedded ain't done with only just C

True, There is also embedded Java

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/overview/getstarted/index.html

The basic aim of using a particular language is ease of use (for a particular project) and speed.

Please can i know what made you draw this conclusion? The basic aim of a language is ease of use? really?

You didn't talk of cross platform compatibility (write once run anywhere)? you didn't talk of efficient development environment? you didn't talk of readily available frameworks? you didn't talk of available Libraries?

Also, are you saying c++ is an easier language? A language where i have to use pointers? A language that suffers memory leaks? really? I advice you do some research before drawing very very irrelevant conclusions...
Re: Java Vs C++ by WhiZTiM(m): 2:07am On Jul 07, 2013
I respect ALL programming languages BUT ....I probably, did and rather learn Visual Basic or Arabic writing than learn the programming language called Java.

@OP, in my 'subjective' opinion, Your delima should be C++ or C#.

Forget platform targets. The primary language feature of C# is Java's future!

Java is over 20yrs and has Billions of Dollars from many godfathers driving it! Oracle, Google, etc.... Thats why she's popular. . . .C# is just a little over 10yrs and has only Microsoft as a major godfather. But she's gaining ground with so much momentum.

C++ on the other hand is an artillery building language...
Such as
Microsoft Windows, Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe CS suites, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer Microsoft Office, File servers, Graphics intensive Game Engines, Javascript Engines, National Security Software, Music production suites, Raytracing software, massive and computationally intensive simulation systems... a Python interpreter, You can even build a JVM in C++
the list is endless!
....Java can never compete these in absolute and ANY good faith. But, I THINK Java is so popular and HIGLY PRODUCTIVE for small, localized and/or limited software...

I dont have the resources to do a real test.... But C# VM runs FASTER than Java's Dalvik on Android... According to xamarin.com
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 2:16am On Jul 07, 2013
WhiZTiM: Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe CS suites, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer Microsoft Office, File servers, Graphics intensive Game Engines, Javascript Engines, National Security Software, Music production suites, Raytracing software, massive and computationally intensive simulation systems

Dude! So are you saying Java can't be used to build all these? The word bias is written all over your post. These are few softwares written in java http://java.dzone.com/tips/ten-amazing-java-applications
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 2:30am On Jul 07, 2013
Javanian:

True, There is also embedded Java

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/overview/getstarted/index.html

Please can i know what made you draw this conclusion? The basic aim of a language is ease of use? really?

You didn't talk of cross platform compatibility (write once run anywhere)? you didn't talk of efficient development environment? you didn't talk of readily available frameworks? you didn't talk of available Libraries?

Also, are you saying c++ is an easier language? A language where i have to use pointers? A language that suffers memory leaks? really? I advice you do some research before drawing very very irrelevant conclusions...

You just misinterpreted me, when i say ease of use, i meant in all aspect. Both setup, resource availability and code wise.

Forget the cross platform compat thing. In reality, the more cross platform comp. a language tries to become, the more bloated is has to become. From my years of programming, i've found out that the more i try to support more platforms even (browsers), the more my codebase gets messed up and i also lose out on platform specific mouth watering features.

Pointers? na that one dey fear you? grin
Memory leaks? come on, you can do better than that. Give me another excuse or go back to Qbasic angry

Lets face it, their are probably more libraries and frameworks for every high level language than we actually need. Besides, i love to scratch cool

Irrelevant conclusions indeed. Should i start talking about access to code the nitty gritties of a computer cheesy

BTW, C++ Rules tongue
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 2:31am On Jul 07, 2013
Javanian:

So are you saying Java can't be used to build all these?

I'll give anything for more speed cool
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 2:33am On Jul 07, 2013
spikes C:

I'll give anything for more speed cool

Good! if its speed you want DO NOT use C++, try C or even Assembly language, they are way faster, since you can give up anything cheesy
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 2:39am On Jul 07, 2013
Javanian:

Good! if its speed you want DO NOT use C++, try C or even Assembly language, they are way faster, since you can give up anything cheesy

lipsrsealed

Why do you like causing trouble grin
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 2:42am On Jul 07, 2013
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 2:48am On Jul 07, 2013
Javanian: @whiztim this might interest you http://java.dzone.com/tips/ten-amazing-java-applications

Just another rant from a lazy java programmer

Java is such a great language and platform for any kind of application. It is open, fast, powerful, runs on any platform, and there are more jobs for Java than any other programming language. After reading more FUD and Java bashing from Ruby land I thought it would be fun to put together a list of truly amazing uses of Java that covers a wide spectrum.

Can you imagine these reasons. This is what we tell novice programmers nahh.
Infact this is the kind of things i taught those old men and women last week.

The writer is saying open like is a new web 3.0 word grin
Imagine him saying java is fast, for a moment i thought i would see fat

More jobs for java programmers....what a joke cheesy
Re: Java Vs C++ by Javanian: 2:56am On Jul 07, 2013
spikes C:

The writer is saying open like is a new web 3.0 word grin
Imagine him saying java is fast, for a moment i thought i would see fat

More jobs for java programmers....what a joke cheesy

I take this to be a joke, if you didn't know what he meant when he said open, or you are saying that you are the only one on this forum that doesn't know they are more jobs for Java programmers in this industry, or you are saying that a language that powers the Android platform, twitter, blogger and youtube is a slow language, then i am wasting my time here! Sorry to disappoint, I am a very busy person. Good Night cool
Re: Java Vs C++ by spikesC(m): 3:11am On Jul 07, 2013
Javanian:

I take this to be a joke, if you didn't know what he meant when he said open, or you are saying that you are the only one on this forum that doesn't know they are more jobs for Java programmers in this industry, or you are saying that a language that powers the Android platform, twitter, blogger and youtube is a slow language, then i am wasting my time here! Sorry to disappoint, I am a very busy person. Good Night cool

Why do you always dissapoint embarassed

Stop giving me reasons why java is fast because a popular website uses java. Even facebook use PHP (Though a modified version). What you should ask yourself is, all those websites using java, what are they using it for?

Powers the android platform? The main reason why java probably powers the android version is just to accommodate more mobile apps and developers. For mobile, yes, java will always rule. Not because it is better, but because it has already overcome the mobile market.

Besides, Android is porting very very soon to C++...i hope you're following the news wink

Busy indeed, good night dear. And sweet java dreams....lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find / Learn Coding For Free, With Microverse, Pay The Tuition When You Start Earning. / Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.