Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,056 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? (62399 Views)

The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by emmaak2(m): 8:47am On Jan 29, 2016
PASSION OR EGO? ●I remember vividly when I was about leaving the vicinity of secondary school education, almost everyone wanted to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, and other professionals, some actually became, but most could not! ●No single profession, course of study, job, appointment, is a monument of success, wealth, riches. . . What matters is what individuals bring individually to the table. Even in that perceived money creating course of study, many did it but are still very very poor. In matters of financial independence, be careful when following the bandwagon, for wherever is overcrowded, value drops and chances of survival reduces! ●To succeed as a medical doctor today, you need be extremely good, because they are too many! It's much more than passing MB exams or answering Doctor or hanging stethoscope, it translates to knowing what you are doing and doing it well, otherwise you'd end up as one of the most miserable doctors in this wide world! ●Is it about reading law? I respect lawyers greatly, but everyone can not be lawyers! I see no reason a lawyer should be teaching government in a secondary school! Why didn't you just go ahead and read education, why spend 6 years in school and law school? You see, it's more than getting the L.LB degree, it's about knowing your onions! ●In matters of financial independence I say; Go with your passion, not with your ego!
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 29, 2017
Olucheye:

If you'll not mind, lose a year and go for Medicine except you've got enough to fund a medical school outside the country.
just curious Ar u saying starting as a year 1 medical student again?
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 29, 2017
Nairaland Its Always The Wrong Place For An Advice If Medicine Is Ur Dream Then Go There And Stop Complaining.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Basic123: 7:42pm On Nov 29, 2017

u made sense in many sentences.
U said u studied BMS with medical students and at d end of d day , u suffer alone?
But then, u forgot that MBBS doesnt end in d clinical yrs,
after 3rd yr, a medical student studies pharmacology/pharmacy, all aspects of medical lab sciences in addition to core Medicine/psychiatry and Surgery, Community medicine,
Of which u are to write professional exams for at each level in sch.
I just dey laugh when some dey claim tgeye study almost the same courses as Doctors.You didn't even mention O and G and paediatrics.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by mccben4(m): 10:16am On Nov 08, 2018
rubenic:

Graduates of Microbiology have got opportunities in other industries aside the health sector. For example, the services of a Microbiologist is highly valuable in the Breweries, Pharmaceutical Companies, other food and beverages, Research, Lecturing, Oil and Gas, Agriculture, Nafdac quality control labs,etc. To crown it up, you can be self employed. Stop lamenting about the discrimination in clinical Laboratory by the Medical laboratory bla bla bla... With Microbiology, the sky is your starting point.
PLEASE NOTE: The above applies to Microbiologist trained in a "University" not a glorified secondary school grin grin grin grin
please expatiate on that self employed aspect
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by SufferHeadAjebo: 8:08pm On Apr 19, 2020
Hey Guys, Any BMS student that went back to Medical school after BSc. ?
I will really want to know your motivation to go back ? and what are the advantages and disadvantages(if any) of going back to med sch after first degree
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Legendforte: 6:32pm On Aug 15, 2021
Great thread
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by drdams: 3:37am On Aug 24, 2021
The share triggered my attention.
I can't believe I wrote with so much abbreviations that I am even pissed at myself. Lol.

Blackberry days...

drdams:

In d good old days, graduates of anatomy, physio, medical mic, med parasitology, et al ar entitled to d licensce of d Medical Laboratory Science Society of Nigeria only if u offer a post graduate dip. Course in med. Lab science and write and pass d subsequent professional exams.
Now, smtyms in 2008/2009, d constitution changed.
Why, ? Med Lab Science Major believe they wud soon bcom extinct cos oda bms grad wit d licence ar more diverse than them.,
politics entered, d new constitution stipulates u must av a BMLS either through utme or Direct Entry ( they xpect oda BMS 2 start frm 200L after 5yrs B.Sc. N NYSC, Imagine?)
This alone pose a threat to d dreams of most cos u canneva xtablish and control a Med Lab without this liscence..
They left most pple hopes in Shambles!!

Thats not d norms inAdvance Countries...

Av seen Zoology, Mcb and even BcH grad xtablish a lab with full accreditation and license (when d constitution was still favourable)..

High Point : Nigerians are the problems of Nigerians.

D best thing for BMS now is to increase their research prowess, go into academics or deviate into d corporate field by acquiring d required professional certification.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Freshre: 12:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
We have PayPal funds

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Senior Lawyer Wears Torn Gown And Wig To Court As Nigerians React. Photos / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria / 'Major Dagger' Drilling Students At The Nigerian Army Depot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.