Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,866 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (442376 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by marcondo13: 10:18am On Oct 06, 2019
Send am again.

Goztino:

Jeeeeeeeez. Chaiiiiiiiiiii.
Omo you sabi book ọ ọ ọ ọ.
Abeg I go like keep in contact with you, I will send you a Pm now.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:00pm On Oct 06, 2019
Frankmoney
Freeman59
Jaynyra
stephots10

Kindly share your experience in Deutschland with us PLEASE. Danke im voraus

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by stephots10: 8:55pm On Oct 07, 2019
I will try to update you guys when I land in Munich.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by abimcdssi: 11:35pm On Oct 08, 2019
olaadesie:

pls can you be more explicit on the bolded boss.
Cologne is not as expensive as Berlin and Bayern.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by stephots10: 11:29am On Oct 09, 2019
So local man landed in Munich yesterday. The journey wasn't an easy one, got settled down to a hostel around 5pm since 9am I landed at the airport.

Munich is a very beautiful city, the system works perfectly here, still finding it difficult to understand all the transportation system and to get around here.
things expensive die, a hostel of 8people in a room cost me 24euro a night around 9,500naira. local man is still trying to settle down, I will update you guys with beautiful pics as soon as I get myself.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Shogun200: 3:36pm On Oct 09, 2019
Deustchemann:
I think I should bring this suggestion for people who have questions on job opportunities in the town/city your school is located.

Firstly, search out your city on Google. Ideally, it's Wikipedia page will be the first search result. Go through the Wikipedia page. You'll get information on

1. City size and Population
2. Transport systens
3. International relations
4. Notable companies.

You can forecast with the figures you have on size and population. If your town/city is showing population of less than 50,000 people, you might want to consider searching for nearby cities with bigger population because that will translate to higher population density, better economic strength and job opportunities.

Google can also give you a list of the biggest cities in Germany. Check out which one is in your state and how close you are.

Peace smiley
thanks a lot for your contributions to this platform, pls I want to apply for a programme on uniassist platform , though I saw the school but didn't see the programme, thanks for your response.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:16pm On Oct 09, 2019
stephots10:
So local man landed in Munich yesterday. The journey wasn't an easy one, got settled down to a hostel around 5pm since 9am I landed at the airport.

Munich is a very beautiful city, the system works perfectly here, still finding it difficult to understand all the transportation system and to get around here.
things expensive die, a hostel of 8people in a room cost me 24euro a night around 9,500naira. local man is still trying to settle down, I will update you guys with beautiful pics as soon as I get myself.

Servus grin

Thanks for the update boss. Expecting more updates from you wink

Prost
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
Shogun200:
thanks a lot for your contributions to this platform, pls I want to apply for a programme on uniassist platform , though I saw the school but didn't see the programme, thanks for your response.

Kindly direct your question to the appropriate thread. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by amikable97: 6:13pm On Oct 09, 2019
stephots10:

Congratulations, I pray that you will be able to settle down quickly...

I believe that Munich will favour you in every way
Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Bbinc: 8:07am On Oct 10, 2019
Landed in Leipzig Germany at about 5:40pm on Monday

The first thing you'll notice is that the racism you're scared of is not that pronounced. I haven't had a single bad encounter with them tho.

A Tunisian lady I met at the airport helped me booked my train ticket, even offered to help me pay as she assumed I didn't have enough cash on me.

A german male helped me with my bags off the train without me even asking when he saw me struggling with it, and it was really heavy.

Try to arrange an accommodation before y9u arrive. I arrived my school on Monday at about 11pm.

Went to the studierenwerk the next morning and got my room. Told them I didn't have an account yet so couldn't do transfer, I opted to pay in cash and she said the cashpoint was not opened for the day till next week. I was surprised she still handed me the keys and asked me to come and pay next Wednesday.

OBSERVATIONS
As long as you don't overstep your boundaries, you're not likely to have any issues with them. And please for your own good, respect their personal space, they take it very very serious. Don't come to close when talking or be attempting to touch them while talking like you do in Nigeria.

The cold isn't that much yet, it's about 6degrees. I don't feel it much yet but most of my friends are always on winter jackets and kitted up, lol. Everybody with their cold tolerance tho.

Most people understand a bit of English so you can get by pretty easily, but you'll need it to work, so still learn it to allow you integrate easily.

ADVICE
Try to know as much about your city as is possible, I watched practically all the videos on YouTube about my city so I knew most streets by their name already. The taxi man didn't even know the school as much as I did, lol.

Food is relatively cheap here, just find EutoShop in your city, everything there is €1. Plates I bought for €9 each the day before I found for €1 the next day. They have almost everything you can need besides winter jacket, shoes and the obviously expensive items.
Before you head to any store to shop, try to get to EutoShop and buy all you can find that you need. The other stores can be for things you can't find in the EutoShop.

It's a quite country where everyone minds his business, don't expect that Nigerian noise thing here. Everyone moves in a hurry, the cold wouldn't allow you walk sluggishly if not you'll feel the cold.

When buying winter jacket, make sure it's waterproof ooo, this place rain falls at any time, not heavy rain this. Light rains but can fall as much as 5 time a day and last anywhere between 5mins-2hrs.

Greetings from TU Ilmenau, the spirit of science.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by stephots10: 11:59am On Oct 10, 2019
First food in Germany, cost 4.5euro. contain fried potatoes and some other things which I really don't know.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by stephots10: 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2019
Later in the evening when hunger wan finish local man, I gat to rush out to Mc Donald. This cost 7.29euro.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by stephots10: 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2019
When they tell you accommodation in Munich is expensive, thats the plain truth. here is the Hostel I booked for 5night that cost me a whopping 121euro

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Awani007(m): 9:52pm On Oct 10, 2019
stephots10:
When they tell you accommodation in Munich is expensive, thats the plain truth. here is the Hostel I booked for 5night that cost me a whopping 121euro

Hostel or hotel?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 11:47pm On Oct 10, 2019
MY FIRST LECTURE EXPERIENCE IN GERMANY

Today, our lecture officially started by 10:30 am with a course that is very sweet to the ear.
Na me first come class, even before 10 am, traced the lecture hall and sat down in the front row (each lecture has lecture class where it will be held and as a stranger, you have to trace it earlier to avoid missing the lecture).

The Lecturer arrived the hall 20mins before the lecture started (German's don't joke with time) and used our enrollment list to select people for group one according to when each person register for the course, I was among the first group, others were told to come back later for their own class.

Omo ehh, he introduced the course and say make everybody put on his or her computer, He shared something wey dey like flash but smaller in size to everyone and told us to all plug it in the CPU beside each computer and he started lecturing, the class involves teaching with a software.

Everything was so strange to me and he was damn fast, as he was teaching. I was expecting a handout and normal dictation but saw slides and software instead. I became hooked at a point, and looked into the system of one guy beside me, he is also a Nigerian, I wanted to use his own method to probably correct myself but I noticed that he was even struggling to login to the computer sef let alone doing the needed task, other white students dey busy dey work for number three while I no even sabi how to get to number two.
As the thing hook me too much, I call the graduate assistant and he helped me out.

I noticed that their system of education is totally different from ours and more practically oriented. One really needs additional work to do in other to scale through efficiently

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by willy2000(m): 7:07am On Oct 11, 2019
Goztino:

Today, our lecture officially started by 10:30 am with a course that is very sweet to the ear.
Na me first come class, even before 10 am, traced the lecture hall and sat down in the front row (each lecture has lecture class where it will be held and as a stranger, you have to trace it earlier to avoid missing the lecture).

The Lecturer arrived the hall 20mins before the lecture started (German's don't joke with time) and used our enrollment list to select people for group one according to when each person register for the course, I was among the first group, others were told to come back later for their own class.

Omo ehh, he introduced the course and say make everybody put on his or her computer, He shared something wey dey like flash but smaller in size to everyone and told us to all plug it in the CPU beside each computer and he started lecturing, the class involves teaching with a software.

Everything was so strange to me and he was damn fast, as he was teaching. I was expecting a handout and normal dictation but saw slides and software instead. I became hooked at a point, and looked into the system of one guy beside me, he is also a Nigerian, I wanted to use his own method to probably correct myself but I noticed that he was even struggling to login to the computer sef let alone doing the needed task, other white students dey busy dey work for number three while I no even sabi how to get to number two.
As the thing hook me too much, I call the graduate assistant and he helped me out.

I noticed that their system of education is totally different from ours and more practically oriented. One really needs additional work to do in other to scale through efficiently
Welcome to Deutschland............. Wish you all the best in your studies.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 12:05pm On Oct 11, 2019
Goztino:

Nice update smiley

It's good to abandon everything one has learned so far in Nigeria at the airport and be ready to start afresh in a sane society.

In Nigeria, la cram la pour na im sure pass but no be for obodo oyibo o grin

Still waiting for more updates boss. I wish you success in Deutschland cool
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 12:08pm On Oct 11, 2019
stephots10:
Later in the evening when hunger wan finish local man, I gat to rush out to Mc Donald. This cost 7.29euro.

As a glutton that i am, i don't think i will be able to save money in Germany grin

We are expecting more updates boss

Prost

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by cityella: 5:51pm On Oct 11, 2019
Bbinc:
Landed in Leipzig Germany at about 5:40pm on Monday

Food is relatively cheap here, just find EutoShop in your city, everything there is €1. Plates I bought for €9 each the day before I found for €1 the next day. They have almost everything you can need besides winter jacket, shoes and the obviously expensive items.
Before you head to any store to shop, try to get to EutoShop and buy all you can find that you need. The other stores can be for things you can't find in the EutoShop.

Greetings from TU Ilmenau, the spirit of science.

Hallo,
Welcome to Deutschland.
Getting stuffs from the one euro shop is quite tricky. yeah everything is been sold for one euro but I'll advise you not to buy books from there. Actually books are quite cheaper in other shops(less than 50cent) compared to the one euro shop. I always use one Euro shop when I've combed the other shops. 50cents is about 150 you know.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by cityella: 6:02pm On Oct 11, 2019
stephots10:

Fellow Nigerian, 7.29€ on burger, pommes and 0.5L drinks is so much money if you are living on a budget.
I learnt not to buy drinks from Macdonald's as it's quite pricey (about 2€+ though some people say It tastes better). One litre of coke in the store is about 0.99 cents + pfand 0.25= 1.24€.
just ask for becher and ice, if you intend to sit in the lobby and have fun.
(*;*)(*;*).

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Bbinc: 10:19pm On Oct 11, 2019
cityella:

Hallo,
Welcome to Deutschland.
Getting stuffs from the one euro shop is quite tricky. yeah everything is been sold for one euro but I'll advise you not to buy books from there. Actually books are quite cheaper in other shops(less than 50cent) compared to the one euro shop. I always use one Euro shop when I've combed the other shops. 50cents is about 150 you know.

Dankeschön
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Chuksraymond: 8:45pm On Oct 12, 2019
Fustinachichi:

Pls am very new on this thread,pls I want to get something straight is the BA for just a session.

I work and school...during school session I work on weekend and sometimes after school hours and I make like 450-800 per month ...totally depends on my timetable for the week(i put school first)

Then during holiday, as an igbo girl��...I work work work....btw 1500-2500 per month(or more if u calculate ur time well)...I came in with BA but by the Grace of God, I got SL in my second year....6months before my BA finished nobody told me, I quickly got a job...rent in my area is btw 250-350 (depends on ur lifestyle)....and health insurance is 30-90(depends on ur age)....feeding is 80-150(depends on ur lifestyle)

That's how I survive...hope this help

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 8:55am On Oct 13, 2019
HighPrince0 experience

Guys, I have been in jena for three days now. This city is a very cossy one.

I doubt if there's any university in Germany that is as nice as friedrich Schiller university Jena.

Very nice school... It has tailor-made everything to make life easy for a first timer like me.

They have German classes for just 20 euro per semester...

To all those planning on coming here, I don't have much to say. All I have to say is... do everything you can to live Nigeria. Just three days in a small city like Jena and my perspectives have changed.

God help Nigeria meeeeen

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 8:57am On Oct 13, 2019
LexRE experience

Hello Everyone,

I have been in Germany (Ingolstadt) for a week now and all I can say is every single struggle is worth it.

I’d like to advise on some issues;

Firstly when you’re selecting your course or study try to focus on the bigger cities. They’re usually easier to live in and more job opportunity plus most of them speak English.

I used Turkish airline and my experience with them was really bad. The plane didn’t arrive at MMA until after two hours of the departure time. Most of us missed our connecting flight and spent long hours at the Turkish Airport.

Try and come with some basic amenities like head warmer, gloves, winter jacket, money,bed sheet, extension, winter socks, winter boot etc. [Note: the Germans use type F electrical outlet, if possible get them before coming)

Try and secure you accommodation before coming, if not you might find it difficult.

If possible learn the language and start studying from Nigeria. Here they’re very precise and time cautious. The semester will start the day advised and lectures will start so try to arrive as soon as possible.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by mychellin: 12:03pm On Oct 13, 2019
Hello Friends,
I would be in Berlin before this week runs out. I need someone to assist with a temporary accommodation while my search for stay lasted. I am ready with any likely assistance and condition attaining to this.

Kindly pm appropriately. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by turawaa(m): 11:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
Good day

Pls I had my Bsc and Msc in Anatomy in Nigeria, I intend to specialize in Neuroscience in PhD with Germany Scholarship.

Which University or Universities will you recommend for Neuroscience ?

Any form of Enlightenment will be Appreciated.

Thanks in Anticipation.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by kenneyyice(m): 1:17pm On Oct 14, 2019
marcondo13:
First degree in no.1,about to complete double second degrees in numbers 1 and 2, and currently on Sustainable Materials under the European Institute of Technology.
Wetin man go do? Either you improve yourself or you perish!

Wow!

Men, thats really cool. Wish Msc program would you advise one to undergo now with a Bsc PET Eng.?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by amikable97: 1:21pm On Oct 14, 2019
turawaa:
Good day

Pls I had my Bsc and Msc in Anatomy in Nigeria, I intend to specialize in Neuroscience in PhD with Germany Scholarship.

Which University or Universities will you recommend for Neuroscience ?

Any form of Enlightenment will be Appreciated.

Thanks in Anticipation.

This questions should be asked in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5296943/general-german-student-visa-enquiries and not here...
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by marcondo13: 12:41pm On Oct 15, 2019
My deepest regret and joy was reading petroleum engineering. Joy because it opened my mind to vast possibilities in engineering application and innovation,but regret in the aspect of its vast limitations when you want a cross industrial job.
I prefer saying the hard truth. If you are not from a certain area in Nigeria,or a certain region,it will be tough to break into NNPC Group or most local players or IOCs because the HOSTCOM have some say. I don't have to tell you that because if you have a degree in PetEng,you already know how easy it is to get an internship,not just a job in Nigeria,no matter your grades!
My sincere advice is this: put your petroleum degree in your back pocket and switch to an area that is applicable to the oil industry,but not in particular. Not everyone is lucky!
For example,the future of the oil industry is in data analytics and innovation. The Petroleum Engineer of the future is one who is data savvy and does not necessarily have a degree in that field.
There is so much possibilities. I know several guys who switched to naval architecture, welding engineering,coating technology, data optimization,subsea design, etc,and they are earning "blood money" with ease at top IOCs and even have their startups!
Do not necessarily rely on your first degree. It will help you to transition easily into your postgraduate studies but trust me,every new level requires you to meet a new devil! It will not be easy but if you are ready to work hard,the system abroad will surely back any hard working student. Na so the matter be!
If you can bend your back to plot a new future for yourself,companies will queue to beg you for consultancy,not even employment!
I drop the mic!
kenneyyice:

Wow!

Men, thats really cool. Wish Msc program would you advise one to undergo now with a Bsc PET Eng.?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Ticolibe11: 2:06pm On Oct 15, 2019
Education in Germany so far from my experience is the best among other countries.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (118) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.