Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,261 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

With 120 Pupils In A Class, We Need Loudspeakers To Teach, Say Lagos Teachersomg - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / With 120 Pupils In A Class, We Need Loudspeakers To Teach, Say Lagos Teachersomg (721 Views)

Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools / Admission Guaranteed With 120& Above In Mpce, No Screening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

With 120 Pupils In A Class, We Need Loudspeakers To Teach, Say Lagos Teachersomg by MP007(m): 5:22am On May 18, 2008
With 120 pupils in a class, we need loudspeakers to teach, say Lagos teachers
By EMMANUEL ONYECHE
Published: Sunday, 18 May 2008
With an average of over 100 students in a class in many of the public schools in Lagos, enrolment figures have gone burst. Infrastructure is overstretched; classrooms have become theatres of noise and confusion. EMMANUEL ONYECHE examines the undercurrents of how this trend came to be and how the perplexed and helpless teachers are straining to cope

Skip to next paragraph

Photo file
The ugly state of Lagos primary schools 2

AN announcement posted on a notice board in Lagos State Model College,

Meiran in the Agbado-Ijaiye Local Development Area listed the names of teachers that would countersign what the notice called the “dossiers” for two arms of the senior secondary school class. For the SSS One class, 13 arms –– A to M –– were listed and each arm, except SSS One L, was in duplicate. That is to say there were SSI AI, AII, BI, BII, CI, CII up to MI and MII.

The SSSII class also had 13 arms and, except for SSII D and SSII F, they were also in duplicates. The principal of the school would not speak on the enrolment figures, claiming she did not have the authority to do so as a civil servant. But several of the students and some teachers, who craved anonymity, did. One student said, “I am in JSSII B (a merger of BI and BII in one class) and we are 120.”

Another one said, “I am in SSIII A and we are 92.”

“There is no JSS or SSS class that is less than 10 arms or 90 students in one class,” a teacher said. “That is what the government wants and we have left it like that for them.”

Our correspondent, who went round the school, counted 108 students in one noisy JSS class, where a lesson was going on. Every inch of the large room was brimming with students. Chairs and tables meant for two students were shared by four. Some students were taking their notes while standing, and several others, especially those at the back, were in a world of their own, playing all sorts of pranks. The perplexed teacher, who stood in front of them, spent more time trying to gain their attention than in teaching.

“Many of the chairs and tables were bought by the parents of the students. But there are students whose parents have not provided chairs and tables. That is why you see some of them standing in the class,” another female teacher said. In some classes, the tables and chairs are so crammed together that there is no space left at all.

FOR MORE, http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200805180575262
Re: With 120 Pupils In A Class, We Need Loudspeakers To Teach, Say Lagos Teachersomg by DisGuy: 7:34pm On May 18, 2008
At the Aboru Community High School on the outskirts, a teacher said, “I am always with my cane and I flog those of them that are too stubborn like a goat. I know the students, who always cause trouble in the class. I either send then out or ask them to kneel down throughout the duration of the lesson anytime they begin their mischief.”

no wonder they come out hardened acting like goats!

I think the current govt is too focussed on the outward appearance of lagos, or perhaps the commissioner in charge haven't got a clue!

(1) (Reply)

St. Thomas Aquina College Akure: Show Face / Pls Is U.i Offering Remidial / Futo To Resume On:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.