Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,615 members, 7,827,312 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? (8158 Views)

Sultan Announces MOON Sighting For Ramadan / Towards Moon-sighting, Not Moon-fighting In Nigeria. / Ramadan Moon Sighted. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by ShehuAba(m): 3:06pm On Jul 09, 2013
ewet: Its only here you find this issue of discripancy in the appropriate ramadan commencement dates.

The arabs who are the progentors of islam have their own calender called the Hijri-arabic or hijra-english. This calender is diff from the gregorian calender which we have adopted here in naija.

The gregorian calender is the usual 12 months january to december which we are used to. The hijri on the other hand is based on the lunar trajectory which is similar to the chinese calender. The hijri is also a 12 month calender which commences with the month of muharram as the fist month and ends with Dhu al-hijja as the 12th month.
The hijri calender also consist of btw 354 to 355 days similar to the western gregorian calender. We are presenly in the 1434 AH according to the hijri and this year commenced on exactly the 14th of november 2012 and we are in the 9th month which is the month of fasting called Ramadan.

The month of rmadan is the 9th month of the hijri and the month set aside for the annual fasting in islam. There is no controversy whtsoever. If you shuld go to saudi-arabia today,every1 commences fasting today 9th of july 2012 which is the 1st day in the month of ramadan.
Oga u made sum valid points, but i'l like to make some corrections
1. The Hijrah calendar is the same all over the world, though with a day or 2 slight qualifications due to differences in calculation, Likewise Muslims dnt depend entirely on the Calendar bt will do other wise if the MOON is sighted.
2. Officially RAMADAN has nt commenced Today in many countries including Saudi, Egypt,nigeria, nd other Islamic countries,
F.Y.I if u're a fan of ISLAM CHANNEL on DSTV,that actually updates, it changed 4rm d Initial 1 day to Ramadan Yesterday in d morning to 2 days to Ramadan in d evening when the MOON was nt sighted.
Bottom Line, RAMADAN FASTING starts Tomorrow, anybody doing so Today is On His Own.
May Allah help us all.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by jelel6: 3:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
I beg to differ, but most of the posts I have read here are all sentimental. Believe me, matters of religion can only be cleared by the the laws of that religion. It amazes me that most of the solutions you guys profer here are ALL BASED on personal deductions and preferences. Without any references to the authentic sources (quran and hadith).in fact i dont see reasons 4 all this fuss. According to the sunnah, (cant remember exact no) we were told that shaban is 29 days. But if the moon its not sighted, then make shaban 30 days, and commence your fast the next day whether the moon is sighted or not. In this scenario today 9th is the 30th of shaban. And the fast begins tomorrow wednesday 10th of july.

1 Like

Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by omoboy08(m): 3:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
ewet: Its only here you find this issue of discripancy in the appropriate ramadan commencement dates.

The arabs who are the progentors of islam have their own calender called the Hijri-arabic or hijra-english. This calender is diff from the gregorian calender which we have adopted here in naija.

The gregorian calender is the usual 12 months january to december which we are used to. The hijri on the other hand is based on the lunar trajectory which is similar to the chinese calender. The hijri is also a 12 month calender which commences with the month of muharram as the fist month and ends with Dhu al-hijja as the 12th month.
The hijri calender also consist of btw 354 to 355 days similar to the western gregorian calender. We are presenly in the 1434 AH according to the hijri and this year commenced on exactly the 14th of november 2012 and we are in the 9th month which is the month of fasting called Ramadan.

The month of rmadan is the 9th month of the hijri and the month set aside for the annual fasting in islam. There is no controversy whtsoever. If you shuld go to saudi-arabia today,every1 commences fasting today 9th of july 2012 which is the 1st day in the month of ramadan.

Well said, me... have already started today. May Allah accept our ibadah
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by deols(f): 3:30pm On Jul 09, 2013

Too much wrong info in your post.

*The problem isn't a Nigerian thing but ours is specially tribal.

*Saudi is commencing tomorrow

*The hijarah isnt an arab calendar but an Islamic one.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by deols(f): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2013
jelel6: I beg to differ, but most of the posts I have read here are all sentimental. Believe me, matters of religion can only be cleared by the the laws of that religion. It amazes me that most of the solutions you guys profer here are ALL BASED on personal deductions and preferences. Without any references to the authentic sources (quran and hadith).in fact i dont see reasons 4 all this fuss. According to the sunnah, (cant remember exact no) we were told that shaban is 29 days. But if the moon its not sighted, then make shaban 30 days, and commence your fast the next day whether the moon is sighted or not. In this scenario today 9th is the 30th of shaban. And the fast begins tomorrow wednesday 10th of july.

The hadith you quoted is right but is not what the thread is about.

The thread is about finding SOLUTIONS. so what do you think should be done to ensure that the shariah is followed by all, starting from the forthcoming Ramadan.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by golpen(m): 3:45pm On Jul 09, 2013

I'm sorry but I'll want to disagree with you on the calendar issue. The calendar you're talking about I think is even getting the problem worsened. Some people don't want to hear any explanation anymore.

The calendar invention, is like going against what the prophet (SAW) told us in His last sermon about our dates. It is not to be based on any set out plot like the kufar and the holy prophet (saw) warned us against this. The plot of the calendar is designed that the months are given 29/30 days inter-changingly.

Every of our proceedings like this, should be based on the sighting of the moon and the counting of the days, but we have so much let the pagan civilisation affect our deen, such that after ramadan, an average muslim does not know the Islamic date of the ordinary day.

The calendar, I'm beginning to see as satanic means to distract the muslims, because we'll soon start having more western civilized muslims who won't care if ther's a moon somewhere as the world goes. I'm just scared.

May ALLAH rescue us from the deceptions of shaitan!!!
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by vedaxcool(m): 3:49pm On Jul 09, 2013
deols:

So you are saying it isnt a lack of knowledge but ethnic bigotry.

so do we teach them the ahadith of the problem against tribalism or do we show them the ills of tribalism.

or do we just leave them and hope that they realise what is wrong.

Majorly ethnic bigotry, and truly we can only repeatedly speak out against tribal bigotry, until it sinks in, but truth be told there has been genuine raproachment between muslims in the south and the north has improved significantly over the years, hopefully that time will come when people see beyond such jingoism, though i must add last year, the a muslim group in the north, i have forgotten their name , actually started fasting b4 the sultan annouced it, saying some of their members cited the moon in remote villages in the north, bottomline is we need to remain flexible until the point reach when muslims understand each other well.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by kennyosein(m): 4:07pm On Jul 09, 2013
I think the best solution to this prob has been sited by Wizeboy and note Sultan and the league of imams and alfas do not represent the muslims. Majority of them are in that position bcoz of some kind of fame or power.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by ayenny02(m): 4:12pm On Jul 09, 2013
We don't have problem in nigeria concerning the moon sighting, the only problem we have in nigeria concerning the issue are those BABAS in SW.

We can't solve the problem of moon sighting without first solve the problem of TIME OF SALLAT in SW, out of 100% mosque in SW I can say only 10% mosque are performing their sollat at the right time according to sunnah of the prophet, and I can say categorically that those who don't perform their sallat at right time at their mosque were among those who starts their fasting today.

May Allah saves those Babas from ignorance of deen becos they are not ready for correction

2 Likes

Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by AyeeIdris(f): 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
[quote author=ewet]Its only here you find this issue of discripancy in the appropriate ramadan commencement dates.

The month of rmadan is the 9th month of the hijri and the month set aside for the annual fasting in islam. There is no controversy whtsoever. [b]If you shuld go to saudi-arabia today,every1 commences fasting today 9th of july 2012 which is the 1st day in the month of ramadan.[/[/b]quote]

That is untrue. I am in the middle east and we are starting tomorrow on the 10th.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by atrix4g(m): 4:39pm On Jul 09, 2013
Sincerely alhamdulilah seeing that youths in the country still tink like dis. Having said all this and sincerely all are partially correct if not a total solution what I will like to buttress on is the imams in southwest which I believe should succumb to the sultan who is the head. well some imams in southwest too are beginning to get dis nd I pray dat Allah makes them get it fully nd secondly is on the issue of the selection of the sultan which Muslims in d sw don't like its more of political than religious(example is d removal of dansuki by Abacha which was replaced by maccido) caliphate in Islam is not a family matter rather a religious/ shurra nomination. if dis can b corrected then dis. and many other issues in Islam will be corrected. RAMADAN MUBARAK in advance
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by jelel6: 5:08pm On Jul 09, 2013
deols:

The hadith you quoted is right but is not what the thread is about.

The thread is about finding SOLUTIONS. so what do you think should be done to ensure that the shariah is followed by all, starting from the forthcoming Ramadan.

like Allah said in the quran that he has made truth stand out distinct from falsehood. I would say: the process of moon sighting in nigeria is ok. But one thing is 4 sure. There cant be too authorities. We all know that the sultan of sokoto is the head of the supreme council for islamic affairs in nigeria. His office is saddled with the responsibility of confirming and announcing the sighting of the moon. Hence, ramadan.the moon can be sighted anywhere in nigeria. Though the north tends to see it first due to geographical reasons. if sighted in a village the person is to report to his village head who reports to the emir or thier equivilents in other states, who then reports to the sultan who then announces the ramadan fast officially. As a muslim, u are under obligation to what for the statement from the supreme council for islamic affairs for directives.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by kambah(m): 5:17pm On Jul 09, 2013
busar: Ramadan isn't a new thing in Islam. The prophet alongside his companions has observed it before us. What we need in this our country(9ja) is obedience to the sunnah and our leaders(not your local imams o). I think if we followed the sunnah strictly there will be no problem of moon fighting. cool

Who are the local imams, imagine a scholars that taught your great-fathers, you are calling them local imams. Anyway, I don't blame you, you are among people that terrorising islam by claiming unnecessary sunnah. Your types are in Egypt, Libya, Syria, Tunisia. May Allah protect us from evil youths that are trying to introduce new way of practising Islam.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by Sissie(f): 5:34pm On Jul 09, 2013
I think one of our major problem is we like to use the calendar, and timetable/ clock
We don't use the moon and sun to tell date and time.
I.e people depend on clock/timetable to pray. If it's not 2pm or 4pm its not yet time for zuhr or asr, or 5.30 for fajr prayer and they call prayer when it's not yet time, or way past time.
Some imams depend more on calendar for Ramadan rather than moon sighting first.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by lanrexlan(m): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2013
ayenny02: We don't have problem in nigeria concerning the moon sighting, the only problem we have in nigeria concerning the issue are those BABAS in SW.

We can't solve the problem of moon sighting without first solve the problem of TIME OF SALLAT in SW, out of 100% mosque in SW I can say only 10% mosque are performing their sollat at the right time according to sunnah of the prophet, and I can say categorically that those who don't perform their sallat at right time at their mosque were among those who starts their fasting today.

May Allah saves those Babas from ignorance of deen becos they are not ready for correction
You are right bro
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by tbaba1234: 5:45pm On Jul 09, 2013
Sissie: I think one of our major problem is we like to use the calendar, and timetable/ clock
We don't use the moon and sun to tell date and time.
I.e people depend on clock/timetable to pray. If it's not 2pm or 4pm its not yet time for zuhr or asr, or 5.30 for fajr prayer and they call prayer when it's not yet time, or way past time.
Some imams depend more on calendar for Ramadan rather than moon sighting first.

True. That is such a difficult habit to change, many mosques do not even pray at the right time.

I remember a khatib urging loud takbeers during Friday khutbah, people talk during the khutbah and do not see it as a big deal and sometimes the khatibs don't know better.

So is the root of the problem, ignorance or a lack of education in the religion?
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by lanrexlan(m): 5:51pm On Jul 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

True. That is such a difficult habit to change, many mosques do not even pray at the right time.

I remember a khatib urging loud takbeers during Friday khutbah, people talk during the khutbah and do not see it as a big deal and sometimes the khatibs don't know better.

So is the root of the problem, ignorance or a lack of education in the religion?
Those Babas aren't ready for corrections jare,their reply will be ''THIS IS HOW OUR FATHERS DO IT'' or ''YOU,THIS AHLUS-SUNNAH HAS COME AGAIN''.If you tell them somethings,they turn you to extremist grin.....Peace
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by Sissie(f): 5:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

It's both ignorance and lack of education, some of the imams know this but still do it, and have 1 or two ways of trying to prove themselves right.
And the people think the imams are infallible and do no wrong, or at times the people know and when they try to tell the imam, the imam thinks he knows it all and they even tell you if you can't follow them, then stop coming to the mosque.
May Allah guide us right.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by deols(f): 6:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
kambah:

Who are the local imams, imagine a scholars that taught your great-fathers, you are calling them local imams. Anyway, I don't blame you, you are among people that terrorising islam by claiming unnecessary sunnah. Your types are in Egypt, Libya, Syria, Tunisia. May Allah protect us from evil youths that are trying to introduce new way of practising Islam.

The word, local isn't meant to be derogatory. They are called local because they are close to the people.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by Bsmartt(m): 6:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
may Allah makes us witness and see through the holy month....Ramadan on my mind
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by deols(f): 6:20pm On Jul 09, 2013
In sha Allah, all the points here would be noted.

Relevant authorities will hear our voices and feel our discomfort at what is going on.

In sha Allah, the future is BRIGHT.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by DevotedOne(m): 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2013
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Ever Merciful; The Eternal, The Righteous, The Owner Of Sovereignty, The Lord Of Majesty And Bounty, The Self-Sufficient, The Supreme, The Self-Subsisting In Whom All Subsist. The Peace Be Upon You, Everyone.

I apologize, for not reading all of the previous posts, but I will get back to them. I understand that a convenient way to bring Ramadan to the entire world at once, is needed. In the U.S., either www.Moonsighting.com, or, the Fiqh Council of North America, http://www.fiqhcouncil.org/ can be used. Or, are you planning to begin something similar in Nigeria?

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by lafuria1(m): 7:10pm On Jul 09, 2013
kambah:

you response aint good. you should have responded kindly but choosed to be aggressive about it. you interpreted local as been backward, which is wrong.

finally, in islam you think positive of your muslim brothers before thinking negative about them, when in doubt, ask for clarification. it really disturbed me as to why you chosesed to respond in the manner you did.

by the way, your international imams must have told you that insult is haram, most especially during fasting.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by Favormi(m): 8:16pm On Jul 09, 2013
deols: I was coming to start a similar thread. Thank you not for beating me to it.

It is a good thing that we think it is important to find a way out.

The youth are the agents of change anywhere and it is a good thing that we are saddened, as seen in the other thread by our divisive state.

I am of the opinion that whatever we discuss here or agree on should be sent to the secretary of the NSCIA, the JNI(eith the Sultan as its head, MUSWEN and the league of Imams and Alfas of south west Nigeria.

We may not send it to them all. We may not write a letter, we may just send the link.

Whatever we decide should be about making them aware of how the Young Muslims of Nigeria want them to come together henceforth and AGREE on a standard system of moon sighting and its eventual broadcast to the Nigerian Populace.

May Allah help us to arrive at the best conclusions. May He accept our Ibadah.

Ramadan Mubarak.
deols: I was coming to start a similar thread. Thank you not for beating me to it.

The youth are the agents of change anywhere and it is a good thing that we are saddened, as seen in the other thread by our divisive state.

I am of the opinion that whatever we discuss here or agree on should be sent to the secretary of the NSCIA, the JNI(eith the Sultan as its head, MUSWEN and the league of Imams and Alfas of south west Nigeria.

We may not send it to them all. We may not write a letter, we may just send the link.

Whatever we decide should be about making them aware of how the Young Muslims of Nigeria want them to come together henceforth and AGREE on a standard system of moon sighting and its eventual broadcast to the Nigerian Populace.

Ramadan Mubarak.

Ramadan Mubarak.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by Favormi(m): 8:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
Thank u brother[i]Thank u brother[/i]Thank u brother
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by homebase(m): 8:30pm On Jul 09, 2013
Though i am a christian i can' but appreciate your reasoning of proffering solutions as well as level of wisdom, in fact you are true to your username. It is well.

Ramadan Kareem.

Wizeboy: I believe the time is now to end the moon fight that always occured every Ramadan. This situation is becoming more embarrassing every year as it normally look like we (Muslims) are disorganise and look childish.

Quran, Hadith and Prophet Muhammed (SAW) have clearly explain the procedure if we are willing to follow them but some of the Imam we have in Nigeria always wanted to show power and authority over their jurisdiction by just declaring anyday they like.

The followings are my suggestions or ways of ending this ugly situation of MOON FIGHT:

1. All the Imam should come together and unite in the interest of Islam, is time we all eradicate our self-interest and let the truth prevail.

2. There should be a Workshop, Seminar or Conference by NSCIA for all the Imam to deliberate on the bad effect of a League of Imams doing meeting to decide the day that Ramadan should start or end but rather following the laid down guidelines which is every clear and precise.

3. Imam should never announce in any Juma'ah Service about a date Ramadan should start unless if moon has already been sighted.

4. Moon sighting should be centralised. If any village, community or state sight moon; they must not pronounce it yet until they call the President of NSCIA on phone and the President of NSCIA must also make sure the person calling has the backing of the Chief Imam of the area; such Chief Imam must testify to the sighting of the moon too, after which the pronouncement will now start.

5. The President, Secretary and other members of NSCIA must have a toll-free lines that will enable anybody that sight moon at anytime to call free along with the Chief Imam of the area to pass such information as quickly as possible. The toll-free line can be a line that will be very easy to remember at anytime for example 080ISLAM, 080NSCIA, 080MUSLIM or other simple numbers like that.

6. Is time NSCIA should emulate other country Islamic Council by acquiring moon sighting Technology, which they will be able to use in determining when the moon will be sighted. With the technology, there may not even be any need for them to be waiting for anybody to call before sighting moon anywhere in Nigeria.

Finally, is time all the Imams, Sheiks, Alfas and other knowledgeable Ummah start utilising their authority towards propagating Islam instead of fighting for unnecessary supremacy... None of us human being have any power or authority that is higher than Almighty Allah.

May Almighty Allah count us among those on the right path and continue to shower His wisdom and knowledge of deen on us (Amin)

Ramadan Kareem in advance (few hours to go)... Marhababika yah Ramadhan, A'lan wa sallam wa marhababikum

Maa salam
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by olaheavy1: 10:49pm On Jul 09, 2013
Dear fellow Muslims, I would like to understand the following:
(1) Who appointed the Sultan of Sokoto as the leader of the Nigerian Muslims?
(2) Why does the North think that the West ought to gulp whatever they dole out in the matter of Islam hook, line, and sinker?
(3) Although, Islam had its root in Saudi Arabia, however, the Islamic World regards the al-Ashar University in Egypt as the authority in Islamic Theology, so why do the Northerners look contemptuously down on the Westerners when it comes to theology (the Malians bringing Islam to the Yoruba, nonetheless)?
My point is: why can't the Nigerian Islamic Head/Authority come from the West in lieu of North? I don't mean this in a tribalistic way, however, bawo ni obo se s'ori ti inaki o se? I believe in whatever is good for a goose is also good for a gander. After all, we're all Muslims, right?

On the moon sighting issue, I think if the Northerners sight the moon before us in the West, I think we should trust them, and vice versa. Inasmuch as, we believe that whoever lies about moon sighting will definitely incur the wrath of Allah, there should be no room for supremacy haggling. Islam is the real deal and a very serious faith - that's why it's hard for any alfas or imams to perjure themselves on fake miracles and greed/usury, or amassing wealth: jet and mansion - we should continue the tradition of seriousness and don't give in to silliness. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with modernity, but being conservative in the matter of religion is also paramount.

1 Like

Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by t2luv: 5:10am On Jul 10, 2013
FYI: I can tell you that in 2014 Ramadan will start June 28 and end July 27. Who needs someone looking at the moon when I have NASA. I can tell you all the muslim holiday dates all the way to 2020. With 100% accuracy.
Ramadan Kareem to all my muslim brothers and sisters.

http://www.when-is.com
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by calcal: 11:24am On Jul 10, 2013
stay away from it.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by Esji80(m): 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2013
Assalamu alaikum.
To end d fight,I thnk moon sighting c'tee need to be set-up @ National,State n L.G.A level.Ds c'tee shld con6 ov up men ov high integrity wtn d community.4damo,de shld b telephone no.s d@ wl b usd 2 communicate any news 2 d c'tee.
Re: Ending The Ramadan Moon Fighting In Nigeria? by Esji80(m): 1:21pm On Jul 11, 2013
Assalamu alaikum.
To end d fight,I thnk moon sighting c'tee need to be set-up @ National,State n L.G.A levels.Ds c'tee shld con6 ov up men ov high integrity wtn d community.4damo,de shld b telephone no.s d@ wl b usd 2 communicate any news 2 d c'tee.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Does Love Look Like To You? / The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam / Differences Between Muhammad And Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.