Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,416 members, 7,954,654 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:03 AM

Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) (19020 Views)

Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun Justifies Nigeria’s Proposed Borrowing In A Video / NIGERIA: Proposed New Political Reform / The Bricklayer’s Breakdown Of Nigeria’s Proposed 2015 Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 5:48am On Jul 10, 2013
The concept of Aerotropolis – the “airport city” – is visionary, but how will it be achieved? This is a valid question and one that is being addressed constantly as the concept moves forward.
Coming from behind, Nigeria aims to have a world-class aviation sector that is self-sustaining and pivotal to socio-economic growth. To achieve this it will transform aviation into an efficient, profitable, self-sustaining industry providing safe, secure and comfortable air transport as a preferred mode of transportation for all.

Much of this depends on manpower, which Nigeria has in abundance, so the goal is eminently achievable. In conjunction with the plan to change the business model of the industry through increased private sector participation, this will maximise the contribution to the socio-economic development of Nigeria through increased trade.
Historically the Nigerian aviation industry has been slow to change, but more recent reforms have heralded a new dawn. The drive for change has seen an evolution from monopoly to 21st-century free market competition.
With deregulation, unrestricted competition was opened up and there were 144 licensed air operators by 1995. The early 2000s saw a spate of plane crashes that highlighted safety as a vital area for attention and led to the reform of the sector to restore confidence in it.

The installation of radars and the recapitalisation of airlines helped, and was followed by the commencement of airport refurbishment and expansion. The appointment of Princess Stella Oduah as Minister of Aviation saw another major aviation reform programme being instigated. A new era of aviation had arrived in Nigeria.
Today the idea of airport cities is welcomed by the international traveller. Airports are no longer limited to boutiques and cafes. They have all the modern amenities of any city. For example, up to the 1990s, Spain’s Madrid Airport used to be a small airport set by itself outside the city. Following development starting in the early 2000s, the airport now connects with the capital through the proliferation of international companies who have chosen to locate on the site. Transit passengers can stop at a spa and eat a gourmet meal in a sophisticated restaurant or shop at large stores such as Zara and Mango.

Princess Stella plans to bring the concept to Nigeria. Aerotropolis will comprise large business cities with retail opportunities and corporate headquarters and bring greater revenue via non-aeronautical avenues. These include commercial franchises, advertising and parking.
A full commercial centre will also drive business not only through the airport itself, but also to surrounding areas to create employment through commerce and infrastructure development. Such rapid commercial development makes the Aerotropolis a leading generator of economic growth as it takes advantage of the high volume of passenger traffic through the airport.
Such rapid commercial growth will be of huge benefit not only to the chosen cities of Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano, but also to Nigeria as a whole. Once international travellers appreciate the modern facilities and opportunities on offer in Nigeria, it will lead to greater passenger numbers and thus increased economic development.

Around the Aerotropolis new residential areas will be built, giving the airport even greater life and creating a new and thriving environment for business to flourish. This will create a ripple effect throughout the area, improving transport links and making it better connected, as well as more economically efficient and sustainable.
Major amenities such as hospitals, fire stations and hotels will also be on site, along with cinema complexes, shopping malls and recreational facilities and schools. All in all, the Aerotropolis zone will be the ultimate location to live, work and play.

link: http://www.jetlifenigeria.com/2012/12/aerotropolis-nigerias-aviation-future/
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 6:20am On Jul 10, 2013
Render of the new international terminal at MMA: It will be designed to handle 8 million passengers per year.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 6:39am On Jul 10, 2013
Abuja aerotropolis:

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 10, 2013
Port Harcourt aerotropolis:

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by bloggernaija: 8:03am On Jul 10, 2013
Oh my ,oh my.
These guys have so much money but have no clue of what to do with it.next thing, IWEALA will say she can't sleep.
I am tired of hearing about hotels,airport,hotels,airport,shopping mall,airport,hotels...............................................................................................hotels,airports
What about.
Power stations
Steel mills
Aluminium smelting
Coal,tin,gold mines
Car assembly plants
Mega plantations
Fertiliser factories
Machine tools complexes
Petrochemical complexes
Grain silos
Irrigation channels,canals
Water works
Aqueducts etc

Lazy thinking and Incompetent professionals,

73 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 10, 2013
^^
The aerotropolis will have those things in place.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by billante(m): 8:15am On Jul 10, 2013
CFCfan: ^^

Was it necessary to reply that lunatic!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by nwabobo: 8:18am On Jul 10, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
Why respond to that ode.

To him, the ministry of aviation should stop doing its work and take over the work of the ministries of power, labour, petroleum etc.

To him, the aviation projects won't create employment since ghosts will be the ones to carry out the construction works and also staff the airports on completion.

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 10, 2013
nwabobo: Why respond to that ode.

To him, the ministry of aviation should stop doing its work and take over the work of the ministries of power, labour, petroleum etc.

To him, the aviation projects won't create employment since ghosts will be the ones to carry out the construction works and also staff the airports on completion.

Yeah, the aviation sector in Nigeria is being positioned to be a major contributor to the Nigerian GDP, and a mass employer of people. The road-map seeks to add millions of Nigerians into the aviation work-force. It's also interesting to note that Ethiopian Airlines contributes about 30% of Ethiopia's GDP.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by nwabobo: 8:26am On Jul 10, 2013
Stella Oduah, Adadioramma. One of the best performing Nigerian ministers of all time.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 10, 2013
nwabobo: Stella Oduah, Adadioramma. One of the best performing Nigerian ministers of all time.
She's arguably the best ever Aviation/Transport minister in the 4th Republic, so far.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 10, 2013
I really hope the aerotropolis project will come to fruition. It's one of those projects that can establish Nigeria as one of the main economic centres of Africa.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 10, 2013
CFCfan:
She's arguably the best ever Aviation/Transport minister in the 4th Republic, so far.
Really? You guys should be careful with all this your best ever rating, have you wondered who created nigeria airways and made it admirable around the world?
Have you wondered who built those airports with scarce resources before they were left to decay

No doubt Stella os doing good but best ever? You've got to be kidding me.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by nwabobo: 8:54am On Jul 10, 2013
Obiagelli:
Really? You guys should be careful with all this your best ever rating, have you wondered who created nigeria airways and made it admirable around the world?
Have you wondered who built those airports with scarce resources before they were left to decay

Those structures were built in the days of the real oil boom when Nigeria's problem according to Gowon was not money but what to do with money.

Meanwhile, the post you quoted says best in the 4th republic ie since 1999.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by IGBOSON1: 9:03am On Jul 10, 2013
nwabobo: Those structures were built in the days of the real oil boom when Nigeria's problem according to Gowon was not money but what to do with money.

^^^I swear i was going to type -almost- exactly the bolded until i happened to read your post......talk about telepathic links! shocked

The minister should be commended b'cos she's doing all this on a tight budget!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 10, 2013
nwabobo: Those structures were built in the days of the real oil boom when Nigeria's problem according to Gowon was not money but what to do with money.

Are we not in a bigger oil boom ?

I had to set the record straight, because you already claimed best ever, I would say she is doing good no doubt but best ever? She has got a long way to go

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by kutchs: 9:06am On Jul 10, 2013
Obiagelli:

And you conviniently overlooked the 4th republic reference in the post you quoted. Is that how cunning you are? Nobody is saying that Stella is the best ever but in relation to the 4th republic (I believe this should be 3rd republic as we never had a 3rd before now) she has done a lot to deserve the ‘best‘ tag. Anyway the Works and Agriculture Ministers will have a lot to say there.
So dear sis, read and understand b4 commenting, don‘t be in a haste to criticize.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 10, 2013

DP
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 10, 2013
kutchs:
And you conviniently overlooked the 4th republic reference in the post you quoted. Is that how cunning you are? Nobody is saying that Stella is the best ever but in relation to the 4th republic (I believe this should be 3rd republic as we never had a 3rd before now) she has done a lot to deserve the ‘best‘ tag. Anyway the Works and Agriculture Ministers will have a lot to say there.
So dear sis, read and understand b4 commenting, don‘t be in a haste to criticize.
Did you not see nwabobo write best ever?

Tell me about the achievement of the agric minister, i want results not paper policies and good English

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by kutchs: 9:15am On Jul 10, 2013
Obiagelli:
Are we not in a bigger oil boom ?

I had to set the record straight, because you already claimed best ever, I would say she is doing good no doubt but best ever? She has got a long way to go
Bigger oil boom?
You gat to be kidding me. With dwindling production occassioned by theft and insecurity in the Delta, low patronage from our foreign partners like the US and China and ofcourse with the ever pressing and demanding global recession, what booming these days.
Truth is Nigeria has more challenges and demands now than the Gowon era and everything now is done on a budget. Do you still remember FESTAC 77?
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by naptu2: 9:20am On Jul 10, 2013
kutchs:

3rd republic = 1991-1993. It was a diarchy (military and civilian). We had a military president and elected National Assembly, state governors and local government councils.

Iyorcha Ayu was senate president, Agunwa Anekwe was the speaker of the House of Representatives, Sir Michael Otedola was Lagos State Governor, etc.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by pistol: 9:22am On Jul 10, 2013
A nice and novel idea and concept.
Hope it will create an avalanche of jobs?
Anything that will create jobs for the teeming youths and graduates is highly welcomed.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by kutchs: 9:22am On Jul 10, 2013
Obiagelli:
Did you not see nwabobo write best ever?

Tell me about the achievement of the agric minister, i want results not paper policies and good English
Nwabodo referred to her as ONE of the best ever and not the best ever while CFCFan‘s comment you quoted had the 4th republic in view. So you didnt get it.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 10, 2013
kutchs:
Bigger oil boom?
You gat to be kidding me. With dwindling production occassioned by theft and insecurity in the Delta, low patronage from our foreign partners like the US and China and ofcourse with the ever pressing and demanding global recession, what booming these days.
Truth is Nigeria has more challenges and demands now than the Gowon era and everything now is done on a budget. Do you still remember FESTAC 77?
What is current price of oil and who should be held responsible for oil theft. How many barrels of crude do we sell in a day? Compared with gowon's era

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by pistol: 9:27am On Jul 10, 2013
naptu2:

3rd republic = 1991-1993. It was a diarchy (military and civilian). We had a military president and elected National Assembly, state governors and local government councils.

Iyorcha Ayu was senate president, Agunwa Anekwe was the speaker of the House of Representatives, Sir Michael Otedola was Lagos State Governor, etc.

You people should not turn this into a personality contest.
it is what I have noticed here and it is always spearheaded by we igbos.
Just discuss the pros and cons of the aerotropolis and not this unnecessary personality derailment.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by kutchs: 9:28am On Jul 10, 2013
naptu2:

Under which constitution did that diarchy operate? You just described what we had aptly as diarchy and not republic, so where‘s the confusion? The millitary has no business in a republic, that‘s why I disagree we had a republic then. The 3rd republic started in 1999 and is ongoing.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 10, 2013
kutchs:
Nwabodo referred to her as ONE of the best ever and not the best ever while CFCFan‘s comment you quoted had the 4th republic in view. So you didnt get it.
Am sorry quoted CFCfan, i just wanted to put a stop to it. I also did commend Stella.

I would also like to see results from agric ministry to justify the noise about him but I wouldn't like us to derail the thread further.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by kutchs: 9:34am On Jul 10, 2013
pistol:

You people should not turn this into a personality contest.
it is what I have noticed here and it is always spearheaded by we igbos.
Just discuss the pros and cons of the aerotropolis and not this unnecessary personality derailment.
Pls cut this out. There‘s no personality contest or anything of that sort here and leave out the Igbo thing out of this. Nobody made reference to Igbo here and the issue of 3rd or 4th republic has always been a topical issues in politics/political philosophy, so I don‘t see how discussing it is a personality contest spearheaded by Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by naptu2: 9:38am On Jul 10, 2013
kutchs:
Under which constitution did that diarchy operate? You just described what we had aptly as diarchy and not republic, so where‘s the confusion? The millitary has no business in a republic, that‘s why I disagree we had a republic then. The 3rd republic started in 1999 and is ongoing.

Oh! Ok, the point of difference is in the definition. There are many definitions of the word republic.

1) A country in which the head of state is not a monarch.

2) A country in which the head of state is bears the title "President" (a king rules a kingdom, a prince rules a principality and a president governs a republic).

3) A country in which the leaders are elected by the people.

I see you subscribe to the 3rd definition.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by naptu2: 9:59am On Jul 10, 2013
By the way, I forgot to answer your other question. We operated the 1989 constitution between 1991-1993. I still have a copy of the constitution (a yellow booklet).
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by pistol: 10:11am On Jul 10, 2013
kutchs:
Pls cut this out. There‘s no personality contest or anything of that sort here and leave out the Igbo thing out of this. Nobody made reference to Igbo here and the issue of 3rd or 4th republic has always been a topical issues in politics/political philosophy, so I don‘t see how discussing it is a personality contest spearheaded by Igbos.

Then open a thread and start talking about 1st,2nd.....n republics.
It is irrelevant here.
Re: Nigeria's Proposed Aerotropolis (Airport City) by LEvuls(m): 10:43am On Jul 10, 2013
Republic issue deraying trend
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Orders Buhari, Osinbajo To Tell Nigerians Names Of All Suspected Looters / Governor Ganduje Releases 350 Prisoners To Celebrate Eid [PHOTOS] / CBN Lists Benefits Of Its Digital Currency, E-naira In Financial System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.