Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,982 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" (1144 Views)

We Know Its Corporate Slavery, Yet We Stay / She Sacked Me because Am A Lesbian / Unemployment in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" by etunoman76(m): 7:21pm On Jul 10, 2013
Please I urgently need the help of any legal practitioners. I really don't know what I've gotten my self into.

I finished NYSC last year and two months later I was interviewed for a job at an Indian owned Pharmaceutical company. After two months I was offered the job as a Medical representative. My self and all other successful applicants were given a one-week training before we were all dispatched to our different states.

Among the employment forms we were given to sign there was a SERVICE BOND form which states that "I am to work with the company for TWO YEARS or pay a sum of 250.000" I signed because of the employment situation in the country and to be honest I was desperate I couldn't afford to be unemployed I had so many family pressures I was almost becoming depressed.

I am now on the job and my people I AM SEEING HELL!!! I work tirelessly my salary is less than 100k I spend a greater amount of it on transportation(Nature of the Job as a Medical Representative I Move from one place to the other) we were promised a car for mobility but this is almost 6months and absolutely nothing is being said about it. I am under the sun under the rain working. I hate complaining because I feel it is synonymous to being ungrateful but some days I can't take it I feel like quitting on the spot!

After I realised the service bond I signed I refused to sign the offer of employment letter (I still have it in my possession). Now I'm seeking a less stressful job because honestly this one is beginning to affect my health. How do I go about this SERVICE BOND please I really need help. I can't pay that 250k I can barely save up to 20k every month infact successfully saving 10k a month is a miracle! And I can't work for another 18 months I'm not sure I will survive. Please I need Your help!

http://news.naij.com/39768.html
Re: Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" by captainbraide: 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2013
Firstly.i don't think you are employed by that company because,before service bond comes in,you must have collected your employment letter,signed and returned back,before the bond comes in.

Also,before such a bond becomes very effective and binding on you the company has to meet up their own side of the aggreement,like the car you talked about hat they would give to you,all these things are supposed to make up the offer letter and if it is there and the company have not been able to meet up with this,you can take tha a an excuse for leaving.

But,i also advise you see a lawyer or somebody from the labour union to advise you more on thisTakecare.

1 Like

Re: Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" by manie(m): 6:15am On Jul 11, 2013
etunoman76: Please I urgently need the help of any legal practitioners. I really don't know what I've gotten my self into.

I finished NYSC last year and two months later I was interviewed for a job at an Indian owned Pharmaceutical company. After two months I was offered the job as a Medical representative. My self and all other successful applicants were given a one-week training before we were all dispatched to our different states.

Among the employment forms we were given to sign there was a SERVICE BOND form which states that "I am to work with the company for TWO YEARS or pay a sum of 250.000" I signed because of the employment situation in the country and to be honest I was desperate I couldn't afford to be unemployed I had so many family pressures I was almost becoming depressed.

I am now on the job and my people I AM SEEING HELL!!! I work tirelessly my salary is less than 100k I spend a greater amount of it on transportation(Nature of the Job as a Medical Representative I Move from one place to the other) we were promised a car for mobility but this is almost 6months and absolutely nothing is being said about it. I am under the sun under the rain working. I hate complaining because I feel it is synonymous to being ungrateful but some days I can't take it I feel like quitting on the spot!

After I realised the service bond I signed I refused to sign the offer of employment letter (I still have it in my possession). Now I'm seeking a less stressful job because honestly this one is beginning to affect my health. How do I go about this SERVICE BOND please I really need help. I can't pay that 250k I can barely save up to 20k every month infact successfully saving 10k a month is a miracle! And I can't work for another 18 months I'm not sure I will survive. Please I need Your help!

Do not meet your sale target, so that your employer will sack you. I think that will be a win-win situation for both of you.

1 Like

Re: Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" by Mboi: 11:47am On Jul 11, 2013
[quote author=manie]

Do not meet your sale target, so that your employer will sack you. I think that will be a win-win situation for both of you.[/quote

Brother try this,it will work.
Re: Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" by jahrule: 12:05pm On Jul 11, 2013
etunoman76: Please I urgently need the help of any legal practitioners. I really don't know what I've gotten my self into.

It is not an enforceable contract for the following reasons;
1. They have not made any special investment in you like sending you on specialized training
2. The have not fulfill their own part of the contract

What you have signed does not mean they would win you if you are charged to court, every job seeker in your situation will likely do what you did. If it is enforceable then every employer would have been doing that in order to retain its talents. It is an unfair contract term. So when you get another job that meet your taste gladly resign appropriately.

If you already have another job at hand right now there are two things you can do immediately

1. Resign appropriately as stated above because it is not enforceable in court of law or
2. play a fast a one on them by resigning and stating in your letter of resignation that since the company has failed to fulfill its own promise (as in provision of motor vehicle to aid your job), it has made your job much difficult and you hereby tender your resignation since they can not fulfill their promise. note: intentionally state it in your resignation letter that they did not fulfill their obligation that is why you are forced to resign your appointment.
Better you consult a lawyer for advice. i hope my suggestions help you.

(1) (Reply)

Beginners In Photography / Chemical Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering / Sijison Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.