Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused (5850 Views)

Court Authorizes EFCC’s To Seize Tompolo’s Properties / EFCC To Seize Tompolo's Property / Diezani Was Arrested Due To Efcc's Request/cooperation - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Kunberg: 12:37am On Jul 12, 2013
THE Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Thursday, refused to grant the request of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), seeking to seize 48 property allegedly belonging to former governor of Bayelsa State, Timpriye Sylva, on ground that the request amounted to an abuse of court process.

It will be recalled that the anti-graft agency had, in December vide an originating summons applied exparte for a temporary order of forfeiture of the said 48 property, but Justice A. R. Mohammed, instead, while granting the commission leave to sustain the action, ordered that the commission put Sylva on notice.

After taking arguments of counsel to the EFCC, John Anaeto and Sylva’s counsel, Benson Ibezim, the court reserved its decision till July 11.

Delivering his ruling, Justice Mohammed held that it ran totally against the court process for the commission to bring about an action before him, which is related to a charge before a sister court for which the former governor was standing trial.

The EFCC had brought a criminal action against Sylva at Court 3 of the same court presided over by Justice Adamu Bello, however, the commission further proceeded with a civil action before in Court 7, where it sought to takeover the same property it listed in the charge preferred against the former governor in the criminal case.

Justice Mohammed held “it would appear that EFCC is instituting a multiplicity of suit against the accused. This court cannot allow any process that amount to an abuse and it is hereby dismissed.”

On January 4, when it was reported that EFCC had obtained an order of forfeiture of 48 property belonging to the former governor, he quickly responded via a statement to clarify the position through his media adviser, Mr Doifie Ola, who said the Abuja High Court never granted any temporary asset forfeiture order to the EFCC, a claim which has been vindicated by the verdict of Justice Mohammed.

In the said statement, Ola said of the said 48 property, only three belong to his boss and noted that the said three were acquired by the former governor long before he became governor of Bayelsa State.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/news/item/16495-court-refuses-efcc%E2%80%99s-request-to-seize-sylva%E2%80%99s-property.html

http://www.emmanuelbabatunde.com/2013/07/court-refuses-efccs-request-to-seize.html
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by youthmustwork: 1:54am On Jul 12, 2013
Hmmmmm
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by otokx(m): 6:37am On Jul 12, 2013
EFCC legal team always like to shoot themselves in the foot.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 12, 2013
please what is EFCC?
is she a man?

1 Like

Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by lefolksy(f): 9:39am On Jul 12, 2013
A Governor with 48 properties,I envy politicians,easy way of becmng wealthy is politic.
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by ZURYZEST(m): 9:40am On Jul 12, 2013
no long thing, let them do as they like
hehhehehehehehehheheh
sipping my Alomo things
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by ximarro(m): 9:46am On Jul 12, 2013
ZURYZEST: no long thing, let them do as they like
hehhehehehehehehheheh
sipping my Alomo things
I see a future politician wu wuldn't care abt anytin bt looting.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 12, 2013
Hmmm naija and too much wahala! May God save this country.

1 Like

Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 12, 2013
Judiciary has become the bane of Nigerian progress...what the hell is their problem , aiding criminals...bullsh.it
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by RICHBOI2(f): 9:49am On Jul 12, 2013
bbpreye.:
please what is EFCC?
is she a man?

Ha.........Where are you from? Na Fatai. Ode jatijati
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by kinroyal: 10:02am On Jul 12, 2013
bbpreye.:
please what is EFCC?
is she a man?
Are u high?
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by chinchek: 10:04am On Jul 12, 2013
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by chinchek: 10:06am On Jul 12, 2013
bbpreye.:
please what is EFCC?
is she a man?

shocked
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by christ4mi(f): 10:07am On Jul 12, 2013
Why are most of the Justice in Nigeria, are all from the North
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by kstyle2(m): 10:08am On Jul 12, 2013
I swear if u folo 9ja poliitics keenly,u wil jst run mad.i hope i live 2 c whhr all 9jirians wud live in unity n love.whr dey wud b no more corruption..i criously hope i live 2 c it...or is it 2 much 2 hope again...or i cud sing dat song dat otedolla's daughter sang(i luvv 9ja i no go lie)n mean evry bit of it.evn peter griffin wud do a beta job if he were 2 rule dis nation
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by chinchek: 10:08am On Jul 12, 2013
bbpreye.:
please what is EFCC?
is she a man?
Wetin u shak dis mornin?
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by PDPvsAPC: 10:12am On Jul 12, 2013
Someone should blame GEJ
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Youngtekkey(m): 11:10am On Jul 12, 2013
dat'z good jare why this one take affect the price of regal me still dey shark my regal jare omo this regal tonk no be small
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Youngtekkey(m): 11:11am On Jul 12, 2013
dat'z good jare HOW this one take affect the price of regal me still dey shark my regal jare omo this regal tonk no be small
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 12, 2013
Until EFCC starts giving account of those properties and assets they have seized over the past few years, they should not be allowed to seize anymore, because that is even worst corruption than who they are being accused of corruption
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by emsheddy(m): 11:40am On Jul 12, 2013
Politics; the easiest way to become rich in Nigeria! 48 properties? Holy Moses!
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by ugoezeik(m): 12:20pm On Jul 12, 2013
chinchek:

shocked
no, efcc isn't a man but is shim
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by ugoezeik(m): 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2013
PDPvsAPC: Someone should blame GEJ
abi Ooooooooo. Yes jona is d caused hahahahahahahahaha
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by NaMe4: 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2013
In other news,
Graduates With Fake NYSC Call-up Letters Sentenced
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by naijaswag1: 12:56pm On Jul 12, 2013
bbpreye.:
please what is EFCC?
is she a man?

Well asked. What is EFCC, is it one of Jonathan's advisers or part of the SURE-P?
Is EFCC the man fighting in Rivers State House of Assembly?

This EFCC must be a famous ghost.
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by 1025: 1:01pm On Jul 12, 2013
in the same manner ribadu seized and sold to his family and friends and then ran away from justice and accountability at the end of his tenure.
it was this same jonathan that granted ribadu the same presidential deceitful pardon.
why are u seizing these funds and properties when u are not going to account for them?
if i may ask, how has all the loots recovered from the abachas affected positively the lives of nigerians?
abeg, sylva is only suffering personal matters with jonathan and that is his crime because if his crime is about looting public funds, every public office holder in nigeria is involved.
selective justice is the problem of nigeria.
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by qwest(m): 1:41pm On Jul 12, 2013
christ4mi: Why are most of the Justice in Nigeria, are all from the North

They dominate the military, oil & gas sector, agriculture, judiciary, most of the MDA's (ministries, departments and agencies),.......
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by jpphilips(m): 2:57pm On Jul 12, 2013
otokx: EFCC legal team always like to shoot themselves in the foot.

Nigerian lawyers in general, only a few know what they are doing. The Nigerian law schools need to be reviewed.
our lawyers hardly know the right suit to file or even how to go about it.
but if it is to write a summon notice or letter of settlement for 20k all of them go begin chook eye, complete learnerd disgrace.

how can a lawyer advise a client to allow him file a crimminal case against his debtor, when the debtor has agreed to his debt, went a step further to put a standing order on his account in lieu of the said transaction?

another thing is that EFCC may be using cheap, half baked charge and bail lawyers, little wonder they have no conviction in years.
imagine madonna offering law with no single prof in a whole faculty.
all na lawyers wey go represent EFCC in the future.

law is now monkey buisness i tell ya.

1 Like

Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Samabu07(m): 3:17pm On Jul 12, 2013
bbpreye.:
please what is EFCC?
is she a man?
I know say your kidney dey leg. Anu'pama
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by jejeannetteya(f): 5:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
jp philips:

Nigerian lawyers in general, only a few know what they are doing. The Nigerian law schools need to be reviewed.
but if it is to write a summon notice or letter of settlement for 20k all of them go begin chook eye, complete learnerd disgrace.

how can a lawyer advise a client to allow him file a crimminal case against his debtor, when the debtor has agreed to his debt, went a step further to put a standing order on his account in lieu of the said transaction?

another thing is that EFCC may be using cheap, half baked charge and bail lawyers, little wonder they have no conviction in years.

I rily like ur points bt d last paragraph jst set me off
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by nonysmith(m): 5:22pm On Jul 12, 2013
jp philips:

faulty generalization my man....and if you know the caliber of lawyers efcc has you wont be saying all this....moreover what is wrong in what they did....?they made an application and the court rejected it simpliciter..so whats the big deal...it is said that you cant know the strength of a law till you test it in the law court...so we learn everyday...as per your personal experience with that lawyer,it is still a personal experience and as such shud not be attributed to most lawyers
Re: EFCC’s Request To Seize Sylva’s Property Refused by Afritop(m): 6:44pm On Jul 12, 2013
I WONDER WHY NIGERIAN COURTS ARE ALWAYS IN A HURRY TO CONTRADICT EVERY EFFORT AND ACTIONS OF EFCC TO BRING CORRUPT POLITICIANS TO BOOK

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nationwide Jubilation As Saraki Shocks The World, Breaks National Assembly 8 Yea / Makarfi Remains Most Viable Option For The Opposition - Group / Renewable Energy Investments In Nigeria Get $70 Million Boost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.