Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. (1492 Views)

Retired Generals Jostle For Civil Defence Top Job — Leadership Newspaper / Two Retired Generals Contradict Each Other On Buhari's Certificate / Retired Generals Should Allow Young Generation To Rule - Gowon ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by panafrican(m): 10:06pm On May 23, 2006
grin
Boredom is a  threat  democracy in africa  because bored retired generals may try to make history again.
Nigeria  one of africa wealthiest country can set an example by offering a  consultant position in some nigerian university  to former coup leaders.  Babandjida and the  controversial Buri could hold those positions. 
They can  lecture on how coup are made and what difficulties a country can go through in the aftermath of a power change. Interesting , isn't it !
Let them be busy somewhere else so we can live in peace. tongue
Re: Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by DaHitler(m): 4:15am On May 24, 2006
Panafrican, please drop this pro-African stance. It is sickening. There is nothing unifying the entire continent, so stop pretending. Heck, I don't even look at fellow Nigerians as anything more than strangers, talkless of other African citizens.

If they take power in a coup, so be it. My goals for Nigeria are no nearer to completion under Civilian rule, than they are under millitary rule.

Panafrican, by peace, did you also forget to mention poverty? or is that a reality that is far beyond your Panafrican mind-set?
Re: Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by panafrican(m): 4:56pm On May 25, 2006
Few good people can make a big difference.  There are still some people in Nigeria and elswhere in africa who believe in  panafricanism despite the artificial  wall constructed by  europe since the Berlin conference in the 19 th century.
  A unified africa governed by the rule of law under a strong and  fiscally responsible government  will overcome povery for sure.
There are millions of acres we can use  for agriculture .What can you do with small countries like rwanda , Burundi,Lesoto,  The Gambia, Djibouti and Cap vert ?  undecided
Re: Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by DaHitler(m): 1:07am On May 26, 2006
If those small countries were constructed along ethnic lines (Like the way most Countries around the World are constructed) there would be less internal fighting and more resources can/will be devoted to development.

That is excellent for the Nigerians and other Africans that believe in Pan-Africanism. Well, I don't. If I was in a position of power, there would no talk of such non-sense. I do not take kindly to unification amongst strangers. I don't know you, I don't want to know you, and while I might not do anything to harm you, I also will not go out of my way to help you.

In as long as you are not a member of my State (Real State. I.e. no Artificial crap), you are no different than anyone else.

Forget my opinion on this Pan-African issue for a second. The biggest problem with your philosophy is how do you create Nationalism (Very critical in every country) when the people are so different? Are you going to some how pretend that everyone within these artificial boundaries likes each other? Or are you going to pretend that ethnic groups don't exist? (Refer to Nigeria's recent census. Hooray for One Nigeria)

Pan-Africanism is flawed and only till these artificial borders are made official can there truly be cooperation between AU States.
Re: Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by panafrican(m): 1:59am On May 26, 2006
I'm surprised to discover some are seeing things through the narrow window of personal relationship. This forum may be visited by men of power all around africa and the world. It is an Internet forum . the call for a united africa is not directed at a particular individual. let's keep this in mind. Ethnic states have no future. There will still be fighting.Coup leader Bouyoya in Burundi who overthrew Bagaza was Tutsi,so was bagaza.
There are ibo fighting Ibo ,Hausa fighting hausa in nigeria.
Re: Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by DaHitler(m): 3:26am On May 26, 2006
Panafrican, very true. That is why I said there would be less in-fighting. You have to come up with a basic ground before differences can be settled. In the case of African countries, this basic ground always boils down to the British and French (for the most part) thinking certain geographical shapes would be kool to make into nations. Hence, trying to put an end to in-fighting while siting that we are all part of these artificial crap is only going to worsen the problem.

Ethnic States do have a future. While not every country is in need of Ethnic States, others are. At the very least, States based on Ethnic groups that are similar to each other. If you are truly African, you would know that certain groups have similar cultures and languages and in general get along better than others. Such groups could combine to make sovereign States that are capable of rapid development.

Note:Germany, France and the vast Majority of European countries are all ethnic states. You are only fooling yourselves if you think that nations based on false borders can truly be successful.

As for the inter-ethnic fighting that goes on, that has as much to do with frustration over the pathetic state of these Artificial boundaries as it has to do with weak sense of Ethnic identity.

There might be a time when Pan-Africanism is called for, but I will not support it till I am satisfied with the borders of West Africa.

P.S. I will post a link to some information on European history and the formation of their States. It is the least I can do to get people to give up these illusions.
Re: Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by panafrican(m): 6:40pm On May 26, 2006
There is no need for european history links . One knows since clovis united what is now France more than a thousand years  ago, the Francs have gradually imposed their cultural domination   over  other ethnic groups. It is almost similar to what happened in  Germany and Uk.  Now ,  is an  ethnic state ( I mean a  state  made of only  one ethinc group,such as peulhs in Guinee, Ibo in Nigeria, Xhoza in south africa etc)  really the remede that will quell infightings?I doubt based on the history of power struggle in africa. What can prevent africa from self destruction  and set the  ground for a powerful multi ethnic state  is this objective( this  common) need  to strive  against  others more powerful nations ,knowing that if we don't ,we may face in a long or short run an overwhelming attack that can wipe us out the face of this Earth.  A small state does not have the means to survive competition in this jungle like 21st  century where the most powerful are dictating their views to those who are weaker.Let's remember We were enjoying ourselves in africa, dancing among fellows of  same tribes  when suddenly  europeans came in. You know what has followed.  We even don't know today what will happen to us if their discover another planet more resourcesful than planet Earth,may be they will throw an atomic bomb on africa and live us down here.It looks like fiction ,but when you  know what slave masters have done, you should be prepared for the worst if you don't want history to repeat itself against you.
Re: Bored Retired Generals May Try To Come Back. by DaHitler(m): 7:33pm On May 26, 2006
That is the exact reason why strong Ethnic related groups should be built. What about African countries with multiple independent ethnic groups not getting along don't you understand?

(1) (Reply)

419 Pastor / Have You Ever Wished You Are White And Not Black? / Apapa Bad Roads, Tanker Drivers Bring Pains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.