Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions (18901 Views)

Famous American Hip Hop Artists Rocking Nigerian Attires (anime pictures) / Pictures Of Nigerian Male Celebrities In Native Outfits / Fab Nigerian Attires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by lc123: 9:08am On May 24, 2006
Hi all,

I am new on Nairaland and i would like those in London to assist me. I just got a visitor's visa and am travelling in summer, I am think of taking some Nigerian traditional attires for sale in London.

- Could you give me a range i can sell them for?
- Could you all also let me know if you think its a good idea?
- Will folks in London buy them??

Thank you.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by my2cents(m): 5:34pm On May 24, 2006
Sorry, because I know that this will not apply to you, but I just had to chyme in:

In the US (at least the Atlanta area), naija attire goes like hot akara grin Minimum price I have seen is $100. Women go into debt just to wear the latest and block my view courtesy of big head tie at parties. Especially if can hook up with people that are going for some kind of convention (Akwa Ibom convention is coming up here in august wink), you would make a killing. Also look at shoes, jewellry, etc. Make your client complete from head to toe cool

There is a lady I know here who used to work as a nurse in the hospital. After she discovered the money in it, she quit. she sure does a lot of travelling b/w US/ london and malaysia but I bet the money is rolling in big time.

This may or may not help, I just wanted to chyme in.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by kiwibabe(f): 10:52am On May 25, 2006
undecidedThere are soo many shops already in London that sell nigerian attire, if you reach places like liverpool street, there are back2back shops selling all the latest fashions and materials.

Now if you said you were coming as a tailor, there is definately a shortage of good ones around that know the latest designs. smiley
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by nairamar(m): 12:21pm On May 25, 2006
It will not do any harm if you bring some with you, I'm sure friends and friend of friend will at least have a look.

Women seem more ready to buy on impulse so, load up on quality stuff that are locally made in Nigeria; no need bringing lace that's easily available in the UK.

Men are quick to pick something like malam slippers or hi-grade adire tops.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by naijacutee(f): 1:07pm On May 25, 2006
I wish I knew, Cos I've gone done to Liverpool street before and there a heck of a lot of Nigerian lace shops, My aunt got some wicked £400.00 lace material from there only for the tailor to completely mess it up. They simply could not sew. So I reckon if you could bring a few ready - made buba and iro's and just advertise them by word of mouth, Or BIG tip for you - Go to a nigerian salon in London to do your hair. And you know how the whole salon gist thing goes, You are bound to leave your number with at least 2 or 3 people.

Salon I'll recommend : C.B Hair design. 182, Deptford High Street, Deptford, SE London  grin
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by lc123: 3:33pm On May 25, 2006
Thanks alot guys. Am so grateful. I am not going with laces anyway. I have made mostly nigeria/african tops - unisex.
Some of them are embroided beautiful. I really dont have an idea how much they'd go for.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by my2cents(m): 3:57pm On May 25, 2006
lc123,

shdnt b hard to figure out:

- Note how much it cost u to purchase/make in naija

- convert into pounds

- determine how much similar goes for in UK

- reduce urs by say, 50 pounds, and c if u still make a profit

That should do it. In the end, its all about marketing. Sure there r streets full of fashion shops there, but if u figure out how u can add value, pple will buy from u. Besides, there is always the "I go buy from you cos you related to my friend" factor grin

Good luck!!
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by Hunter(m): 9:42am On May 28, 2006
I'm not entirely sure of the details of a visitor's visa to the UK but you could find yourself deported if you are caught, visitor visa's usually have a claus in them saying that you won't work.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by my2cents(m): 3:29am On May 29, 2006
Hunter,

She wdnt be working, but she would be "working" smiley

Shadow economy. Don't ask, don't tell. I am sure u grab my flow at this point grin
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by lc123: 8:46am On May 31, 2006
Thanks alot guys,

i wont even be working. Am just going to sell my the nigerian attires while am in London. Thats all.
After my visitation, am going to buy some stuff and come back home.

So i guess i shdnt have problems with IMS undecided
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by chinani(f): 7:10am On Jun 01, 2006
Sorry to piggy back on the topic but:

How much is a reasonable price range for Nigerian clothes?

Does anyone know if there's a Nigerian clothing shop near Oxford, England?
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by lc123: 3:13pm On Jun 01, 2006
its alright chinani,
I also want to know what the price range is. smiley
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by Badman888(m): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2006
i know bout that liverpool street you can check there, and i think i have seen some african stuffs at elephant and cast just outside the mall.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by hotangel2(f): 12:45am On Jun 02, 2006
Just go in one of the nigerian shops when u get to london. Ask them for something they sell that is close to wat you are selling.

Whatever their price is, makes urs a little bit lower, and sell to people.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by folkzy(f): 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2006
It depends on where u stay in london/oxford. if u got to an area wher it is mostly Africans that stays dere, there is bound to be a shop dat sells African clothes/

People actually prefer to buy d lace/attires in London. But trust me, Nigerians actually prefer to give it to tailor that sew it cheaper. Cuz expensive tailor sew it pretty bad n cheap tailors sew it preety nice.

My sis went to sew 'skirt n blouse' , mum bought the lace from Naija n mum said it wasn't upto 15pounds. Guess how much the tailor charged her?

110pounds. she cudn't even tell my mum. she lied to my mum dat d tailor chargedher 50pounds n my mum was furious.
My local tailor sew it for 30pounds anystyle. (A friend of mine told me).
I'm even inneed of a cute Naija outfit!!!
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by tady: 4:53pm On Jun 11, 2007
:-x
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by Ollie39: 9:14pm On Jun 15, 2007
Sorry, the market for Nigerian attires/materials is saturated in London. I doubt if you will make much money if any sad
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by Naijapride: 8:20pm On Jan 04, 2008
Hello everyone,
This is wishing you all a prosperous year ahead with victory on everyside.Tired of inexperienced tailors messing up clothes got with your hard earned money?I sell fabulous ,excellent quality naija ready-made wears(ankara and laces)latest styles in vogue!!!!!!!! fantastic finishings and reasonable prices.All sizes available.
you may contact me on this forum.
Cheers!!!
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by fellybabe(f): 6:16am On Jan 15, 2008
Really enjoyed everybody's contribution. An interesting topic.
Am already taking a new career on fashion designing/neat sewing,and before d end of dis year,i shall be relocating 2 london.MY hubby and friends told me it's a good career as long as i can sew very good,new and creative(and i've always bn good in creating design with diff fabrics,ankara and also playing with patterns and colour.
More tips , could on a good location is welcome.as my hubby reside within NEWCROSS.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by MrsNri(f): 1:51pm On Apr 18, 2008
Where in Liverpool Street, i work near there and have been looking around but can't seem to find any place. Please let me know. Also if your bringing over attire, contact me, i am very interested in buying, and have people that would be too. Thanks
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by melech: 10:30pm On Feb 25, 2009
I would really like more inforamtion on the items you have. That is if you still have them for sale. I am ideally looking for a supply of African attire, caftans, agbadas, women's wrap stes, adire tops, dashikis, etc. These items are to be bought for resale and thus I am looking for relatively inexpensive options of good enough quality for me to resell. I usually go to New York and buy items from a major wholesaler there, but these are made in India and Pakistan and are not the best quality though they generally sell well. These days I cannot get good stuff from them as they are sold out and awaiting shipments etc and of course going to New York is not an easy option for me right now. Any information or offers would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have shopped in London before for fabric (Peiticot Lane area) with success but the items are sometimes way to expensive.  I say this as I also know suppliers from China who have some fo the same fabrics for between $5-$15 USD per yard that sells in london for £50-£200 per 5 yards. Just for general information.

Naijapride:

Hello everyone,
This is wishing you all a prosperous year ahead with victory on everyside.Tired of inexperienced tailors messing up clothes got with your hard earned money?I sell fabulous ,excellent quality naija ready-made wears(ankara and laces)latest styles in vogue!!!!!!!! fantastic finishings and reasonable prices.All sizes available.
you may contact me on this forum.
Cheers!!!
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by emyah(m): 3:01pm On Aug 14, 2009
all the replays that has been Rowling is incorrigibly , but pleas let them tell you also all the negatives part of a new person coming in country with a goods to be market, that can help you to preppier for challenges you will meet, also try and see if you can get reliable person, over.
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by alfazatchm: 6:34am On Feb 02, 2010
There seems to be a new online designer with RTW apparel using ankara and damask fabrics. Pretty nice.
http://www.houserossil.com
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by denny4ril: 9:54am On Aug 02, 2011
wink selling nigerian attires in london is a good idea. it is source of foreign exchange
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by azeezpop(m): 7:26am On Aug 08, 2011
I think Nigerian Attires sells in Newyork and Florida,because i have some clients that i used to Export some stuff life,tye & dye,lace,hair wigs and some other stuff to USA, AS A FREIGHT FORWARDER,I also send some to Napoli italy for a client from benin.it's a good business,if you wish to go fully into it,you are free to ask some information you wish to know more.
Contact me: +2348028426721/+2347035139928 Email: azeezp2002@yahoo.co.uk
GOD BLESS US!
Re: Sale Of Nigerian Attires In London - Opinions by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 01, 2019
Oga Ade built the hospital he was born in. grin

(1) (Reply)

Chioma Patyline Emerges Face Of Democracy Nigeria Queen 2020 / Are You A "Tomboy" Or A Tomboy Turned "Girly Girl" / Please, Where Can I Buy A Household Or Industrial Sewing Machine (brother)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.