Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society (39635 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / ‘mazi’ Title In Arochukwu: Who Qualifies For It? / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Ninilowo(m): 7:34am On Jul 16, 2013
grin
Mazi_Omenuko: I know one Mazi in nairaland cool
MAZI NINILOWO
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Mr9iceGuy(m): 7:43am On Jul 16, 2013
Hia which one be northern and southern igbos again? Hmmm unu eburukwele bata 18 ooh, lekwenumohh mmadu eji ogbunigwe meruo mmadu ahu ebea

Odenigbo Aroli: To my knowledge "Mazi" is a southern Igbo thing and it can not be equated to the "Nze" title from Nze n' Ozo,which has its origin in the Nothern Igbo. However,the northen Igbo has an equivalent title of "Mazi",which is "Ogbuefi" but its fast going extinct. Ogbuefi is used mostly for the elderly,married or the affluent.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by sol2galay: 7:47am On Jul 16, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

I'm not surprised,at all because part of Ebonyi was carved out of Abia. I stand corrected.

Yes you are correct Odenigbo,Ebonyi south was formerly Abia north
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by AroOkigbo(m): 8:16am On Jul 16, 2013
ROYALD:

POINT OF CORRECTION
MAZI IS MR

EXAMPLE : MAZI OBI ..... IN ENGLISH MR OBI
I am from Arochukwu (Obinkita). I am married with three kids. In English language, I am addressed as "Mr" however at home I am not addressed as "Mazi" but "Nwa Mazi" simply because my dad is still alive.

Mazi is "NOT" Mr!
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Odinaka00(m): 8:31am On Jul 16, 2013
1bunne4lif: nwamazi!

Abukwam nwa Mazi...onye ndi aniche ndi be obaa
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by chubaba1(m): 8:32am On Jul 16, 2013
To me 'mazi' is used in all parts of Igboland except some parts of Enugu, it simply indicates ''Mr'' or ''Sir''
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 8:43am On Jul 16, 2013
Cyberknight: The "Igbo bu otu" reaction may be a bit extreme in this instance, but I must also confess that I have lived in Nigeria all my life and have never heard of the whole "southern", "eastern" and "northern" Igbo distinctions that are being mentioned on here; this is the first time I have ever heard of them. What I am aware of is the broad dialectal division of the language into so-called Anambra Igbo and Imo Igbo (ofu/otu, afia/ahia, uno/ulo, etc, etc) that was being spoken of in the 80s, but I have no knowledge of any other divisions. As some posters have pointed out, the political divisions of the Igbo into states do not necessarily follow lingusitic or cultural boundaries (e.g. the Orlu people near Ihiala area are culturally and linguistically more similar to Anambra than Imo, etc.), but to my knowledge that is about the extent of the classification of Igbo people that is not based on broad geography or culture.

Cyberknight, the "Igbo bu otu" reaction is more than a bit extreme. It borders on paranoia, but that is a different matter for a different day. The point of my response now is to touch on the geographical delineation. As this topic has clearly shown, most Igbo people know nothing about the northern, northeastern, southern, etc. geographical delineations. I do not find that surprising at all, since the terminology is currently only used in academic discourse. The typical Nigerian trivializes academic/intellectual discourse and as such will have no use for the terminology. Instead, they will use those politically-induced terms like "Anambra Igbo" or "Abia Igbo", which have no real bearing on any kind of academic/intellectual discussion. Anambra, Imo, Abia, etc. are all administrative creations.

The communities within these administrative borders existed long before the development of these administrative demarcations; demarcations which pay no attention to preexisting historical, cultural and linguistic interconnections. In all reality, there is nothing like "Anambra Igbo" or "Imo Igbo" or "Abia Igbo", etc. Those demarcations are administrative and do not provide any real, delineating information about the people and cultures within those boundaries. As you have rightly mentioned there are communities in Anambra, such as Ihiala, that share more with Orlu than they do with the rest of Anambra. Ngwa in Abia shares more with bordering Imo state communities than it does with Abia in general. The list can go on, as we are all aware, but listing is not the point of my long essay. Instead, the point of my long essay is to give you some background insight into the reason why the geographical delineations are used, and that reason is to bypass or overlook the problem of ambiguity and triviality created by the persistent usage of "Abia Igbo", "Rivers Igbo", etc. so that better discussions can be held.

If you want to expand your knowledge and learn more, I suggest doing some reading and research. You can start with Google Books. Though it can prove frustrating, as an academic tool, it is a place to start. You can learn a lot, and also see that the "northern", "northeastern", "southern", etc. terms that some of us use are not NL creations. I encourage all other Igbo people in general to do the same, for their own sake.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by MaziOmenuko: 8:59am On Jul 16, 2013
ChinenyeN: Igbo people have unfortunately allowed Nigeria's politics to get in the way of simple academic/intellectual discourse. The delineation of the various "Igbo" communities into geographically identifiable culture zones is nothing to be afraid of. There is no need to trivialize and otherwise distort good discourse with the constant "Igbo bu Igbo" or "Igbo bu ofu" reaction.

If the division is solely for academic discourse, no qualms; I personally don't feel comfortable with the now widely accepted 'delta-igbo' and 'rivers-igbo' phrases. I prefer 'Anioma' and 'ikpere' respectively. Now, introducing cross-river igbo is something I find difficult to reckon with.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Lilimax(f): 9:19am On Jul 16, 2013
Mr9iceGuy:
Hia which one be northern and southern igbos again? Hmmm unu eburukwele bata 18 ooh, lekwenumohh mmadu eji ogbunigwe meruo mmadu ahu ebea
Nwannaa, jiri nwayooo! grin!
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by meforyou1(m): 9:54am On Jul 16, 2013
Aro Okigbo:
I am from Arochukwu (Obinkita). I am married with three kids. In English language, I am addressed as "Mr" however at home I am not addressed as "Mazi" but "Nwa Mazi" simply because my dad is still alive.

Mazi is "NOT" Mr!
by your argument, Mazi means Mr. Nwa Mazi means Son of Mazi because your dad is still alive.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by meforyou1(m): 9:56am On Jul 16, 2013
I enjoy every bit of this topic. hearing the northern/southern igbo for the first time.
I miss home so much. always enjoying listening to news in igbo language, where i find out that i dont know a lot in igbo language.
Thank God for this topic. i have discovered my brothers.
I'm from Arondizuogu too.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Lordave: 10:22am On Jul 16, 2013
Odinaka00:

Abukwam nwa Mazi...onye ndi aniche ndi be obaa
ndi Aniche Obaa??
Nwanne Ima Mazi Otti?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Lordave: 10:24am On Jul 16, 2013
me_for_you: I enjoy every bit of this topic. hearing the northern/southern igbo for the first time.
I miss home so much. always enjoying listening to news in igbo language, where i find out that i dont know a lot in igbo language.
Thank God for this topic. i have discovered my brothers.
I'm from Arondizuogu too.
Odika Ndi Izuogu nwannem juru na Nairaland
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by chrisxxx(m): 10:28am On Jul 16, 2013
Abagworo: Ikwerres use Mazi as well while the Ngwas greeting for an elder is "mazi"
U r misinforming the populace when u say ikwerres use the title mazi. Ikwerres never make use of mazi. we make use of the title Nye Dike meaning a brave one.Stop roping Ikwerres into this ur Ibo arrangement.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ONESS: 11:02am On Jul 16, 2013
it is bia wgha'oji.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ONESS: 11:03am On Jul 16, 2013
[that is why he came to u for clearity]
U r misinforming the populace when u say ikwerres use the title mazi. Ikwerres never make use of mazi. we make use of the title Nye Dike meaning a brave one.Stop roping Ikwerres into this ur Ibo arrangement. [/quote]
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Smartrizz: 11:57am On Jul 16, 2013
Ndi aniche uno.
Lordave: ndi Aniche Obaa??
Nwanne Ima Mazi Otti?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 12:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Cyberknight, the "Igbo bu otu" reaction is more than a bit extreme. It borders on paranoia, but that is a different matter for a different day. The point of my response now is to touch on the geographical delineation. As this topic has clearly shown, most Igbo people know nothing about the northern, northeastern, southern, etc. geographical delineations. I do not find that surprising at all, since the terminology is currently only used in academic discourse. The typical Nigerian trivializes academic/intellectual discourse and as such will have no use for the terminology. Instead, they will use those politically-induced terms like "Anambra Igbo" or "Abia Igbo", which have no real bearing on any kind of academic/intellectual discussion. Anambra, Imo, Abia, etc. are all administrative creations.

The communities within these administrative borders existed long before the development of these administrative demarcations; demarcations which pay no attention to preexisting historical, cultural and linguistic interconnections. In all reality, there is nothing like "Anambra Igbo" or "Imo Igbo" or "Abia Igbo", etc. Those demarcations are administrative and do not provide any real, delineating information about the people and cultures within those boundaries. As you have rightly mentioned there are communities in Anambra, such as Ihiala, that share more with Orlu than they do with the rest of Anambra. Ngwa in Abia shares more with bordering Imo state communities than it does with Abia in general. The list can go on, as we are all aware, but listing is not the point of my long essay. Instead, the point of my long essay is to give you some background insight into the reason why the geographical delineations are used, and that reason is to bypass or overlook the problem of ambiguity and triviality created by the persistent usage of "Abia Igbo", "Rivers Igbo", etc. so that better discussions can be held.

If you want to expand your knowledge and learn more, I suggest doing some reading and research. You can start with Google Books. Though it can prove frustrating, as an academic tool, it is a place to start. You can learn a lot, and also see that the "northern", "northeastern", "southern", etc. terms that some of us use are not NL creations. I encourage all other Igbo people in general to do the same, for their own sake.

One cannot class Igbos into the aforementioned groups only.
Someone stated Mazi to have originated from "southern" Igbo which is clearly not the case as it was originally peculiar to the Aros and no other "southern" Igbo groups.
These classifications may cause one to presume that "southern" Igbos have more in common that they do with those in the north and vice versa when in fact, several groups in the south are significantly different (for lack of a better word) from any other Igbo group.
It may be easy to label "northern" Igbo groups but labeling the "south" is not as straightforward.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abagworo(m): 12:58pm On Jul 16, 2013
chrisxxx:
U r misinforming the populace when u say ikwerres use the title mazi. Ikwerres never make use of mazi. we make use of the title Nye Dike meaning a brave one.Stop roping Ikwerres into this ur Ibo arrangement.

Tell that to them and not me. Ikwerres also use Oriaku for Mrs.

BTW my comment is not aimed at Igbo or Ikwerre arrangement but purely on the reality that the title is not peculiar to any particular area.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Afam4eva(m): 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2013
some-girl:

Someone stated Mazi to have originated from "southern" Igbo which is clearly not the case as it was originally peculiar to the Aros and no other "southern" Igbo groups.
These classifications may cause one to presume that "southern" Igbos have more in common that they do with those in the north and vice versa when in fact, several groups in the south are significantly different (for lack of a better word) from any other Igbo group.
It may be easy to label "northern" Igbo groups but labeling the "south" is not as straightforward.
Every group or even village in Igboland have some level of uniqueness but that's not to say that they don't have more in common with groups closer to them than those far away. Arochukwu may have their USP but they also have a lot in common with other Igbo groups closer to them. States were created using these similarities though not as perfect as one would expect and one example is in the case of Okigwe which should ordinarily be in Anambra state based on it's similarities with groups there.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by nduchucks: 1:53pm On Jul 16, 2013
odumchi: Another equivalent of "mazi" that comes to mind would be "deede" or "dee".

So this is the origin of Mr. Gull's handle, Dede1? Hmmm
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by sol2galay: 2:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
chrisxxx:

Point of correction bro,no one is Ibo we are Igbos and to ask are u, are u an Yoruba?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abagworo(m): 2:52pm On Jul 16, 2013
Summary so far.

1) Mazi as a prefix is likely rooted in Aro

2) It serves other purposes in Aro and as a greeting in Ohuhu, Ngwa and Etche area.

3) It has in recent years been adopted by Igbo writers as an Igbo version of "Mr" while "Oriaku" was adopted as "Mrs".

3 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by okey4reel(m): 2:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
This Mazi title is common in the eastern part of nigeria especially in Imo State and Anambra state.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Kezsman(m): 4:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: To my knowledge "Mazi" is a southern Igbo thing and it can not be equated to the "Nze" title from Nze n' Ozo,which has its origin in the Nothern Igbo. However,the northen Igbo has an equivalent title of "Mazi",which is "Ogbuefi" but its fast going extinct. Ogbuefi is used mostly for the elderly,married or the affluent.
Ogbuefi ɪ̣̝̇Ƨ̷̜̩̌̋ a different thing!
Mazi means mr
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by mazidalima: 5:54pm On Jul 16, 2013
odumchi: Thank you all for your replies. I was confused because, although I was told that "mazi" was exclusively Aro, I've come across several cases in which non-Aro (like Mazi_Omenuko) bear it, in addition to seeing it in Igbo literature.

Anyway, "mazi" is not a title of the same caliber as Nze or Ozo, because (like Chinenye mentioned) there isn't a ceremony accompanied with it and it doesn't signify achievement or accomplishment (we don't even take titles in Aro). In the same vein, it isn't limited to elders. In Aro society, "mazi" is simply a title that is used to politely identify any man whose father is no longer alive. If such a man's father were alive, he would be identified as "nwa mazi" while his father would bear "mazi". For women, the title "ada mazi" exists and is born by all women, irregardless of whether or not the father is alive.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the Aro are the only Igbo people that I know of that refer to their king as "mazi".

we have 2 realy understand what the word "MAZI" means. For the knowledge of my ibo brodas n sisters, i hav seen oda ibos brodas use the word Mazi.
the word Mazi is only ascribe to a man that has no one exercising authority over him; meaning 4 a man 2 bear the title Mazi, the father must b LATE, if the father is stil alive, no matter the age of the man, he wil b address as Nwa-Mazi, dis is similar 2 wat u hv in the english version of mister n master.
For the Ladies or the women folks, the word Ada-mazi is more of a general word used in addressing the women. for Nnye-Mazi, its meant for a grown woman whose husband is a Mazi. meaning if a nwa-mazi marries a lady, she remains an Ada mazi, until her husband attains the full position of a Mazi.
note mazi is a man who does not hav a father alive. ndewo
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by mazidalima: 5:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
we have 2 realy understand what the word "MAZI" means. For the knowledge of my ibo brodas n sisters, i hav seen oda ibos brodas use the word Mazi.
the word Mazi is only ascribe to a man that has no one exercising authority over him; meaning 4 a man 2 bear the title Mazi, the father must b LATE, if the father is stil alive, no matter the age of the man, he wil b address as Nwa-Mazi, dis is similar 2 wat u hv in the english version of mister n master.
For the Ladies or the women folks, the word Ada-mazi is more of a general word used in addressing the women. for Nnye-Mazi, its meant for a grown woman whose husband is a Mazi. meaning if a nwa-mazi marries a lady, she remains an Ada mazi, until her husband attains the full position of a Mazi.
note mazi is a man who does not hav a father alive. ndewo
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Cyberknight: 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Chinenye, yours quoted above was a most informative post. As you have pointed out that the aforementioned geographical divisions are more usual in academic discourse than in general use, please allow me to point out that I was not and am not protesting their use, but was simply stating that I am unfamiliar with the use of these terms in general everyday use when referring to the Igbo people. I would also presume that most other Igbo people are also unaware of this application as well. I have got no problems whatsoever with their use in academia or in any other sphere when done for research or other academic purposes; however, a point which I am sure our near paranoid brother above undoubtedly had in mind is this: groupings and other forms of classifications can lead to insidious divisions, in a manner that is as unfathomable as it is near -certain.

Ndewo.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 6:16pm On Jul 16, 2013
Afam4eva:
Every group or even village in Igboland have some level of uniqueness but that's not to say that they don't have more in common with groups closer to them than those far away. Arochukwu may have their USP but they also have a lot in common with other Igbo groups closer to them. States were created using these similarities though not as perfect as one would expect and one example is in the case of Okigwe which should ordinarily be in Anambra state based on it's similarities with groups there.

I agree with the bolded however southern groups that aren't close to each other i.e have other groups between them could be very dissimilar. Where then does one draw the boundary between north and south without reference to states?
Like you've pointed out, Okigwe could very well have been part of Anambra state, so could Orlu. If these had been part of Anambra state, the argument would then be that LGAs close to Okigwe and Orlu that would most likely have a lot in common with them could very well be northern Igbo as well.....
Point is, these classifications are a bit tricky especially when one starts to bring in "northwestern/ eastern" and "south western/ eastern" classifications.
Would you say Owerri is "southwestern", "southeastern" or "middle belt"?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Cyberknight: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2013
some-girl:

I agree with the bolded however southern groups that aren't close to each other i.e have other groups between them could be very dissimilar. Where then does one draw the boundary between north and south without reference to states?
Like you've pointed out, Okigwe could very well have been part of Anambra state, so could Orlu. If these had been part of Anambra state, the argument would then be that LGAs close to Okigwe and Orlu that would most likely have a lot in common with them could very well be northern Igbo as well.....
Point is, these classifications are a bit tricky especially when one starts to bring in "northwestern/ eastern" and "south western/ eastern" classifications.
Would you say Owerri is "southwestern", "southeastern" or "middle belt"?

Nice point. In this case, one would presumably have to take a reference point with which to define all other points. Owere, Onicha and Enugwu are all towns in South -East Nigeria, but what is their position in the brave new world of geographically classified Igboland?

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 6:25pm On Jul 16, 2013
chrisxxx:

As someone pointed out, it's Igbo.
(O)nye Dike sounds very Igbo to me...It may just be my imagination.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 7:29pm On Jul 16, 2013
some-girl:

I can understand your concern, but at the same time, I hope you do realize that you are staking your entire argument on the incomplete knowledge of other people.

Here is what you must understand about this issue:
1) These geographical deliberations are not as arbitrary as you might be thinking.
2) There is more to the delineation than north and south. I could venture to expand more on the delineation for you, but I believe it would be more rewarding if you learned the information yourself, through research. Besides, I am under the impression that you would be much more likely to argue the terminology if it were to come from me as opposed to if you were to research and understand it for yourself. It doesn't mean I won't expand on it if you ask.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Delta Igbos / 10 Unbelievable But True Facts About Nigeria. / Emir Sanusi, Wife, Children, Aliko Dangote Attend Polo Event In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.