Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,532 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

A Question For The Experts - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Question For The Experts (1046 Views)

Visaofficer Has A Question For You / U.k Visa 10 Year Ban Question For Justwise Urgent / Will Our Application To Visit The Uk Be Accepted.candid Opinion From The Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For The Experts by HRhotness(f): 10:55pm On May 21, 2008
Hey people,

I've got this problem and I'm hoping for ideas on what I can do. . . . . . .

A very good friend of mine from Nigeria just graduated with an MSc in a professional from a UK University, she's had many job offers since then but due to problems with her drivers license hasn't been able to keep any of these jobs.

The problem is that she has 8months left on her visa and everywhere she applies to keeps wanting proof that her visa can be extended. I dont know much about visa and immigration laws but I gather she has earn up to £30000 or so by the time it expires, or it wont be extended.

Can anyone explain how this works and any alternative legal solution to our problem.
My friend has had a really hard time and shes such a wonderful person, I feel so helpless that i cant be of any help sad
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 11:28pm On May 21, 2008
HR.hotness:

Hey people,

I've got this problem and I'm hoping for ideas on what I can do. . . . . . .

A very good friend of mine from Nigeria just graduated with an MSc in a professional from a UK University, she's had many job offers since then but due to problems with her drivers license hasn't been able to keep any of these jobs.

The problem is that she has 8months left on her visa and everywhere she applies to keeps wanting proof that her visa can be extended. I don't know much about visa and immigration laws but I gather she has earn up to £30000 or so by the time it expires, or it wont be extended.

Can anyone explain how this works and any alternative legal solution to our problem.
My friend has had a really hard time and shes such a wonderful person, I feel so helpless that i can't be of any help sad

How recent was her graduation? Is your friend aware of the IGS? A lot of missing information are not here with status of your friends. What is her current immigration status? Why is she not applying for an international driving license from Nigeria pending the time she gets her UK driving license?
Re: A Question For The Experts by HRhotness(f): 11:36pm On May 21, 2008
She graduated last year  and I think as an international student you get a years work permit when you graduate  undecided

about the  IGS thing, don't know anything about that but she insists she has looked into all her options and is resigned that nothing can be done. her drivers license is sorted now but its knda too late. like i said no one will hire her because she has just 8months left
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 11:54pm On May 21, 2008
IGS is the work permit she gets to have to work in the UK for a year. With that she can switch into the HSMP mode thereafter. So are you saying for four months now she has not gotten a job yet?
Re: A Question For The Experts by HRhotness(f): 11:59pm On May 21, 2008
Oh ok, I think its d IGS thing she has

She's gotten loads of jobs but in getting her paper work sorted d license thing always comes up,
now its the visa thing

It just isnt fair, so much ill luck for one person. . .  personally I think it would be a waste if she goes abck to nigeria after all she's been through
Re: A Question For The Experts by sheniqua: 12:03am On May 22, 2008
mr Pataki/pahtakee/pataki
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:05am On May 22, 2008
What I do advice is that she gets an organization that will be kind enough to employ her. Organizations are entitled to renew her work permit once it is about to expire.

I am sure there is an organization that will be ready to go all the way for her. What was her specialization in Masters on?
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:07am On May 22, 2008
sheniqua:

mr Pataki/pahtakee/pataki
grin grin
mrpataki/Mr.Pataki/pahtahkee/Pataki

Na today? grin grin grin grin

You are hereby banned from posting on this forum

Reason: Trouble

grin grin grin grin
Re: A Question For The Experts by HRhotness(f): 12:09am On May 22, 2008
She studied environmental health, obviously that limits organisations she can work with.

I heard organisations usually dont renew permits any longer, the individuals hav to do it for themselves. . . .
Re: A Question For The Experts by sheniqua: 12:13am On May 22, 2008
Pataki:

grin grin
mrpataki/Mr.Pataki/pahtahkee/Pataki

Na today? grin grin grin grin

You are hereby banned from posting on this forum

Reason: Trouble

grin grin grin grin

I can relate
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:21am On May 22, 2008
HR.hotness:

She studied environmental health, obviously that limits organisations she can work with.

I heard organisations usually don't renew permits any longer, the individuals hav to do it for themselves. . . .
Environmental studies is a very specific minded area of specialization. I am into it, so I know what it entails specifically. As for organizations not been able to renew work permits, I am just hearing of it now.

I still maintain the onus is on her to look for a job in the UK, although there are other options that she can try out as well. Renew her work permit status thereafter should not prove a problem.
Re: A Question For The Experts by HRhotness(f): 12:25am On May 22, 2008
Well with the current problems she's had becos of her visa and permit, Its hard to keep her motivated

What other options does she have
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:27am On May 22, 2008
sheniqua:

I can relate
I know you can. Just discovered another site, spend my spare time there and thank God for facebook as well. grin grin

So they can ban for all they care, life moves on. . . . . .
Re: A Question For The Experts by DrKitaun(m): 12:37am On May 22, 2008
@Pataki

can they put a good man down ? undecided

bloody twats feeling fiunky embarassed

imagine - - -u are banned from posting

then whats the essence of my reading without being able to reply ? I be radio grin
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:38am On May 22, 2008
HR.hotness:

Well with the current problems she's had because of her visa and permit, Its hard to keep her motivated

What other options does she have

She needs to stay motivated! With a specialization in Environmental Health, her best bet is in consultancy outfits or international organizations. Or at most she channels her energy into research work if she is motivated into that.

At the same time, she has the option to spread her tentacles into other countries. I know Australia are seeking for UK graduates to be employed into their work force.

However if she is bent on staying in the UK, then she should probably think of extending her schooling. Possibly going into research development with her University.

Just my own candid opinion here.
Re: A Question For The Experts by HRhotness(f): 12:42am On May 22, 2008
Pataki:

She needs to stay motivated! With a specialization in Environmental Health, her best bet is in consultancy outfits or international organizations. Or at most she channels her energy into research work if she is motivated into that.

At the same time, she has the option to spread her tentacles into other countries. I know Australia are seeking for UK graduates to be employed into their work force.

However if she is bent on staying in the UK, then she should probably think of extending her schooling. Possibly going into research development with her University.

Just my own candid opinion here.

We were discussing australia, . . . I'd miss her tho sad

Thanks for your replies, research might be something to look into grin
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:44am On May 22, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

@Pataki

can they put a good man down ? undecided

bloody twats feeling fiunky embarassed

imagine - - -u are banned from posting

then whats the essence of my reading without being able to reply ? I be radio grin

In fact I over tire for them. If only they know what manner of human being I take be. . . . . . . they would have stayed off. The ban I got before this one was a ban on my IP.

Reason: Disruptive
grin grin grin

Simply because I dared to challenge one of the moderators of this forum. grin grin grin

My papa no teach me to fear anyone, not to now talk of the internet. Whoever feels threatened with my posts, should go and bu igi je.

Paracetamol never close shop because of them. grin
Re: A Question For The Experts by sheniqua: 12:49am On May 22, 2008
Pataki:

In fact I over tire for them. If only they know what manner of human being I take be. . . . . . . they would have stayed off. The ban I got before this one was a ban on my IP.

Reason: Disruptive
grin grin grin

Simply because I dared to challenge one of the moderators of this forum. grin grin grin

My papa no teach me to fear anyone, not to now talk of the internet. Whoever feels threatened with my posts, should go and bu igi je.

Paracetamol never close shop because of them. grin

LOL.
mine have been "offtopic posts"
whatever than means.
Re: A Question For The Experts by IncaGold(m): 12:51am On May 22, 2008
@HR.hotness,
I think I can help here, fortunately I asked a solicitor (abi na lawyer) a similar question on Monday (i'm a prospective student so I came for the school's open day/interview) and he said that although the Post Study Work visa under Tier 1 hasn't started yet (It'll replace the IGS around summer) any student currently on the IGS visa can switch to the Post Study Work visa but will only get an extension of a year,this is because the PSW visa is for two years.
I think you friend has nothing worry about.
http://www.internationalworkpermits.com/post-study-work.html
http://www.internationalworkpermits.com/uk-international-graduates-scheme.html
See the above links, me think it explains it all.
Best wishes
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:51am On May 22, 2008
HR.hotness:

We were discussing australia, . . . I'd miss her tho sad

Thanks for your replies, research might be something to look into grin
Australia is very cool, and I suggest she begins to put the energy into it right now. Things are not getting easier in the UK, and I keep telling people to always stay ahead of the game often as possible.

Research is a good option for her, if she is motivated towards to it.

All the best for her.
Re: A Question For The Experts by Pataki: 12:58am On May 22, 2008
sheniqua:

LOL.
mine have been "offtopic posts"
whatever than means.

lol
Orisirisi reason. . . . . . . I may wake-up tomorrow and get another ban again. grin grin In fact I dey go create another one now.

I did not even know I have become a living terror to some on this forum. Running to the moderator to ban me. grin But na today?

I still don't know what Trouble and Disruptive means? undecided Anyway, na their wahala be that. . . . . .
Re: A Question For The Experts by dnative(m): 7:58am On May 22, 2008
Incagold is right. If your friend has a current IGS leave with 8 months to go. Chances are that she would be able to apply for another 1 year extension at the end of summer when the post study work comes into effect.

However when she does get this, she must plan well ahead next time if she doesn't want to be caught up in such situation again. I think the 1 year extension if she is successful in applying for it should be used to build enough earnings history to qualify for hsmp. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for her to get a company here to sponsor a work permit in an environmental health position bearing in mind that she would be a fresh graduate with no signficant experience (read major international or UK experience) in this field.

(1) (Reply)

Learn Italian / Is It Safe To Fly Air Nigeria With The Recent News Of Unserviceable Aircraft? / Travelling To UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.