Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition (1697 Views)

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind / We Are Not Alone, Says Vatican: Pope's Chief Astronomer Says Alien Life Exists. / Creationism Or Evolution - Post Your Peer-review Articles Here And Lets Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 11:32am On May 24, 2006
The belief that God created the universe in six days is an unfounded superstition that both discredits religious faith and demeans science, the Vatican astronomer Guy J. Consolmagno SJ has declared.

Consolmagno, a Jesuit priest who in his scientific work has pioneered the field of gravitoelectrodynamics, described creationism, which proponents want taught in schools alongside or in place of evolution, as a “kind of paganism”.

Far from being a Christian viewpoint, it harks back to primitive beliefs in “nature gods” who were held responsible for natural events, he commented.
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_060522creationism.shtml
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 11:33am On May 24, 2006
Yikes!What a turnaround!
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 5:07pm On May 25, 2006
Still waiting for the reactions of biblical creationists on this forum,on what this christian astronomer has stated about the creationist myth in the book of genesis.Why the silence?
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by exu(m): 8:24pm On May 25, 2006
You act as if this is the only Christian to admit that creationism is bs.

Didn't the Pope say it not so long ago.

My question is: Isn't religion based on superstition?
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 2:17pm On May 27, 2006
I will have to admit that i have not yet come across a modern day christian that admits that,exu.And i definitely have not heard any pope admitting that the biblical creationist tale is superstition.And if this is so,then the tradition of literal interpretation of the bible is slowly dying,which is good,in my opinion.
Can you tell me which pope was that?
Thanks.
exu:

You act as if this is the only Christian to admit that creationism is bs.

Didn't the Pope say it not so long ago.

My question is: Isn't religion based on superstition?
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by KAG: 2:33pm On May 27, 2006
I'm not sure, but I think Pope John Paul the second was a theistic evolutionist.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by exu(m): 4:16pm On May 27, 2006
I think it was the current Pope. Not that I care.

I don't personally know of any Christians who are Creationists.

As far as I know the literal interpretation of the Bible is not something encouraged within most churches (in Europe) nowadays. America (and the rest of the world) is another issue entirely.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 3:39pm On May 28, 2006
So much for the bible being the "word of God",then.
If there are christians around the world now who dismiss the biblical creationist tales as superstitions,then the christiandom is really changing.
The mainstream,oethodox,literal christianity might be heading back towards the belief system of the early gnostic christians,afterall.
Interesting.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by xkape(m): 8:23pm On May 28, 2006
@Jagunlabi
So the vatican (or a priest or the pope or whoever) says creationism is BS? Oh goody!! I guess now u have validation for ur beliefs and ur existence. We all know u dont belive in Christianity or Jesus or whatever ur flavour of atheism is. So why do u try so hard to show that the bible is wrong, jesus does not exist, jesus is gay etc, yea we all know all we religious pple are deluded and superstisious and primitive and confused etc ad nauseum. So just give it a break!! or who are u really trying to convince? maybe its urself

On the vatican priest: the irony is, the very organisation that knows the least about christianity is always held by the world as the bastion of christianity. the same pple responsible for the inquisition, the crusades, idols in worship, homosexual clergy etc. they come out and say creationism is paganism. u have to wonder at the intelligence of such pple when they rubish creation becos it could not have happenned in 6 literal days. when solar days had not even existed at the time of the reckoning. anyway that is another argument entirely.

Final note to jagunlabi and company. why are u pple so ionterested in hacking the bible and bible-belivers. let us hold un to our "illusion" in peace since u r so convinced we are wasting our time. Get a life
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by KAG: 1:38am On May 29, 2006
jagunlabi:

So much for the bible being the "word of God",then.
If there are christians around the world now who dismiss the biblical creationist tales as superstitions,then the christiandom is really changing.The mainstream,oethodox,literal christianity might be heading back towards the belief system of the early gnostic christians,afterall.
Interesting.

It's not a new thing, if I remember correctly, christians like Augustine believed the Genesis accounts (at least the Eden scenario) were mythical.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by xkape(m): 10:30am On May 29, 2006
@KAG
people like augustine were more pagan than the pagans
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 11:18am On May 29, 2006
@xkape
So the vatican (or a priest or the pope or whoever) says creationism is BS? Oh goody!! I guess now u have validation for your beliefs and your existence. We all know u don't believe in Christianity or Jesus or whatever your flavour of atheism is.
You sound rather hurt,but i can understand your feelings.It is not pretty watching what you believe in fall to pieces right before your eyes.Even the very same organization who gave you your doctrine is beginning to back out.Hmmm,not a pretty prospect.
On the vatican priest: the irony is, the very organisation that knows the least about christianity is always held by the world as the bastion of christianity.
I beg your pardon!The catholic church gave you christianity,the church gave you your religion,the church gave you your bible,the church gave you your doctrine.So what on earth are you talking about,saying that the catholic church knows the leat about christianity.Are you on something?Abeg,clear your head first before you post anything.
the same people responsible for the inquisition, the crusades, idols in worship, homosexual clergy etc. they come out and say creationism is paganism.
They also happened to be the same organization that gave you Jesus Christ the saviour,son of God who was born of a virgin mother and who died by crucifixion or by hanging(take your pick),then raised from the dead on the third day and then ascended up to heaven.
Please don't tell me that you do not believe in any of those.
Final note to jagunlabi and company. why are u people so ionterested in hacking the bible and bible-belivers. let us hold un to our "illusion" in peace since you're so convinced we are wasting our time. Get a life
Sorry,we can't do that.A religion that claims to be the only route to the heavens should be able to stand up to such scrutiny.Why are you,xkape and co,getting nervous?
One more thing,don't tell me what to post and what not to post in here.The last time i heard,this place is a discussion forum.If the place is too hot for you,then stay out.
You and your other christian zealots don't find it out of order to bash and demonize other religions and their practitioners now,do you?
Typical christian reaction. cool
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 11:23am On May 29, 2006
It is not a common thing,either.The creationist myth of the genesis is still considered - even today - by most christians to be an accurate account of history.This is another example of that yawning gap between what the ecclesiasts really know and what ordinary christians know.Why the gap?Why not just inform the rest of christiandom,officially,things like this?
I guess we'll never know.
KAG:

It's not a new thing, if I remember correctly, christians like Augustine believed the Genesis accounts (at least the Eden scenario) were mythical.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by KAG: 11:48am On May 29, 2006
xkape:

@KAG

Of course not, he was more Christian than many Christians. Although Augustine did convert from pagan beliefs, he did become a staunch Christian. What's more, his writings have been some of the most scholarly and insightful teachings on the Bible. He would have had to be a rather extraordinary pretender to have pulled the wool over the eyes of Christians.

jagunlabi:

It is not a common thing,either.The creationist myth of the genesis is still considered - even today - by most christians to be an accurate account of history.This is another example of that yawning gap between what the ecclesiasts really know and what ordinary christians know.Why the gap?Why not just inform the rest of christiandom,officially,things like this?
I guess we'll never know.

I would have thought that most Christians believe the Genesis account weren't historical. In my part of the world most of the Christians are theistic evolutionists most of the Catholics and anglicans in the world are theistic evolusionists too, from what I understand.

It may just be a case of the minority (which would be creationism, especially YEC) being so vocal, that they are mistaken for the majority.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by xkape(m): 1:44pm On May 29, 2006

You sound rather hurt,but i can understand your feelings.It is not pretty watching what you believe in fall to pieces right before your eyes.Even the very same organization who gave you your doctrine is beginning to back out.Hmmm,not a pretty prospect.
RFLMAO!!
Good turn of reverse psychology!. I am not the one looking for answers by raising pointless issues here. My statements still stands. GET A LIFE

I beg your pardon!The catholic church gave you christianity,the church gave you your religion,the church gave you your bible,the church gave you your doctrine.So what on earth are you talking about,saying that the catholic church knows the leat about christianity.Are you on something?Abeg,clear your head first before you post anything.
They also happened to be the same organization that gave you Jesus Christ the saviour,son of God who was born of a virgin mother and who died by crucifixion or by hanging(take your pick),then raised from the dead on the third day and then ascended up to heaven.
Please don't tell me that you do not believe in any of those.
Yes the CC is almost solely responsible for the Religion of Christianity (the Reality of Christianity is another matter, but u wouldnt know this would u?)
Jesus , Son of God Saviour of the World sacrificed for our sins? predicted long b4 in Hebrew scriptures proven to have existed b4 Jesus eg Dead Sea Scrolls, also see Isiah 53: 1-10. Or were these all fabricated by the CC? Or u will say that predictions are vague and they will come to pass sooner or later? Whatever turns u on, man.
Raised from the dead and ascended to heaven?. Like all things in Christianity, it is basically a matter of FAITH, if u could prove it one way or the other it wouldnt be faith, u can laugh it off and shake ur head at how blind and stupid we are, but hey, ITS A FREE WORLD.

Sorry,we can't do that.A religion that claims to be the only route to the heavens should be able to stand up to such scrutiny.Why are you,xkape and co,getting nervous?
I will agree with u, the truth can stand up to any scrutiny.
But u r missing the point. I dont go around posting to bash atheists or other religions, asking questions i already have fixed answers to. These are typical freudian symptoms of the insecure. So ask urself who is truly nervous. U evidently believe Christianity is BS so why spend all ur time posting about it? Again I ask- Are u looking for answers to justify ur existence and ur beliefs ?

And yes, its a free world u can post whatever tickles ur fancy cool

Peace , brother.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 2:13pm On May 29, 2006
@xkape
The next time you and/or your christian posse go about bashing and demonizing other religions in this forum,i will remind you all with your own words, to go GET A LIFE. grin
What goes around,comes around.
Peace to you,too bro.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by jagunlabi(m): 2:21pm On May 29, 2006
But you're missing the point. I don't go around posting to bash atheists or other religions, asking questions i already have fixed answers to. These are typical freudian symptoms of the insecure. So ask yourself who is truly nervous. U evidently believe Christianity is BS so why spend all your time posting about it? Again I ask- Are u looking for answers to justify your existence and your beliefs ?
No,just looking to open up as many blind black souls as i possibly can,because it hurts to see the new generation of black africans still being made to look stupid and ignorant in this day and age of enlightenment by a white race that does not even believe that much in the same religious BS they feed poor black africans like you on,and on which they are clinging on for their dear souls.Got it?
I and a few others here are trying to unlock those shackles that have kept minds like yours in bondage for too long.It is a honourable quest.
Yep,educating ignorant minds is my game,and there ain't no shame in my game. smiley
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by xkape(m): 3:17pm On May 29, 2006
May your path to enlightenment be bright brother.

Nuff said
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by KAG: 11:43pm On Jun 26, 2007
exu:

I think it was the current Pope. Not that I care.

The current pope's take is almost simalra to Pope John Paul II's. He seems to also be a theistic evolutionist.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by thesilent1(m): 12:34pm On Jun 27, 2007
well, we all follow the vatican's stand point on anything,  so its got to be true.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by KAG: 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2007
thesilent1:

well, we all follow the vatican's stand point on anything, so its got to be true.

The Vatican astronomer did make a valid point this time.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by analice107: 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2017
KAG:

The Vatican astronomer did make a valid point this time.
Funny enough, only one individual made that claim, yet it must be true? Catholics are not even Christians
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by Ubenedictus(m): 8:24pm On Oct 27, 2017
KAG:

he didn't say it was mythical he said it should not be interpreted literally.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by Ubenedictus(m): 8:27pm On Oct 27, 2017
xkape:
@KAG
people like Augustine set the Canon of the new testament you are using today.

if he is pagan, then so is the new testament they gave you, you need to form your own nonpagan new testament.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by Ubenedictus(m): 8:27pm On Oct 27, 2017
KAG:

The current pope's take is almost simalra to Pope John Paul II's. He seems to also be a theistic evolutionist.
yep...
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by Ubenedictus(m): 8:30pm On Oct 27, 2017
analice107:

Funny enough, only one individual made that claim, yet it must be true? Catholics are not even Christians
lol you must believe Christianity began in the 16th century?

if Catholics aren't Christian no one is.
Re: Vatican Astronomer Says Creationism Is Superstition by Ubenedictus(m): 8:43pm On Oct 27, 2017
xkape:
@Jagunlabi
So the vatican (or a priest or the pope or whoever) says creationism is BS? Oh goody!! I guess now u have validation for ur beliefs and ur existence. We all know u dont belive in Christianity or Jesus or whatever ur flavour of atheism is. So why do u try so hard to show that the bible is wrong, jesus does not exist, jesus is gay etc, yea we all know all we religious pple are deluded and superstisious and primitive and confused etc ad nauseum. So just give it a break!! or who are u really trying to convince? maybe its urself

On the vatican priest: the irony is, the very organisation that knows the least about christianity is always held by the world as the bastion of christianity. the same pple responsible for the inquisition, the crusades, idols in worship, homosexual clergy etc. they come out and say creationism is paganism. u have to wonder at the intelligence of such pple when they rubish creation becos it could not have happenned in 6 literal days. when solar days had not even existed at the time of the reckoning. anyway that is another argument entirely.

Final note to jagunlabi and company. why are u pple so ionterested in hacking the bible and bible-belivers. let us hold un to our "illusion" in peace since u r so convinced we are wasting our time. Get a life

first you admit that the world was not created in 6 literal days yet you condemn someone for condemning creationism.

the stuff he is rebutting is the belief that the world was created in 6 literal days.

(1) (Reply)

Dream Interpretations- How Real Are Your Dreams? / Was Jesus Christ A Freemanson. / Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.