Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,452 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Crazy But True Facts About Culture - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Crazy But True Facts About Culture (17611 Views)

10 Unbelievable But True Facts About Nigeria. / Funny But True African Proverbs / Funny But True To Life Superstitions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by jiregr8(m): 11:56pm On Jul 15, 2013
In Yoruba land, wen u c a wallgecho, u must announce to tha wallgecko that u saw it and that Ur blood will be bitter for it, and that if it turns to snake u will turn to niddle Just to prevent the wall gecko from attacking u.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by hakunajay(m): 12:10am On Jul 16, 2013
jiregr8: In Yoruba land, wen u c a wallgecho, u must announce to tha wallgecko that u saw it and that Ur blood will be bitter for it, and that if it turns to snake u will turn to niddle Just to prevent the wall gecko from attacking u.

its not wall gecko, its a specie of the monitor lizard (ala nbere) that the Yorubas sing " alanbere mori ó, ti o ba dejo, ma di abere, eje mi koro bi ewuro "

wall gecko are those lizards that are found inside people's homes and the Yorubas call it omo onile meaning the house owner's child... they prefer not to kill it anyways ...

2 Likes

Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by AroOkigbo(m): 1:07am On Jul 16, 2013
jackbauersballs: In Islamic culture, if you die as a suicide bomber you get 72 virgins....and a pimped out lamborghini
I'm surprised that this post was not hidden.
MODs are improving.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by delors(m): 1:29am On Jul 16, 2013
afangide: In Akwa Ibom state(esp.in Annang) if a grandchild plug and eat any fruit and any body complains about it the tree will not bear fruits again unless a grandchild appeases it
Doesnt make sense na..everyone is a grandchild to some grandparents...my father is the grandchild of my great great grand father...so was my great great grandfather...and my uncle is the grandchild of his grandparents...my point is anybody could appease it then since everyone is a grandchild of some grandparents.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Pororo(f): 1:33am On Jul 16, 2013
remecy: Monitor lizards in youroba is called ekute ele(hope i got it right) meaning owner of the house, they say when you kill a monitor lizard, when you grow old and build your own house it will get destroyed.(i no know ohh
2) you don't wash cloths at night, if you do you will remain poor for life.
3)in iboand ebony land(not sure where exactly, you don't kill snakes there

I think you're trying to say "wall gecko" which is omo 'le. Monitor lizard is called "Antaa" while ekute ile means "house mouse".
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Abrakhan: 2:44am On Jul 16, 2013
jackbauersballs: In Islamic culture, if you die as a suicide bomber you get 72 virgins....and a pimped out lamborghini
Na lie!
grin
Na lie!
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Beey(f): 3:48am On Jul 16, 2013
black_beau: in some parts of akwa ibom,if you are living with a girl and you havent paid her bride price,if she dies,you will have to marry her corpse (by which i mean,pay her bride price and pay for every other thing you would have paid if you came to ask for her hand in marriage) before you bury her.
Are you serious?Heeeeei! Naija people, some of your own culture wahala no be small oooh.(Hope I didn't murder pidgin).Lol.By the way?Where are these Naija men found in the U.S.A Answers and Insults are all welcome!!
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Ndipe(m): 3:57am On Jul 16, 2013
afangide: In Akwa Ibom state(esp.in Annang) if a grandchild plug and eat any fruit and any body complains about it the tree will not bear fruits again unless a grandchild appeases it

In the Ibibio, that stuff stems from the iman tradition which is fast dying away in today's world.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by criuze(m): 6:09am On Jul 16, 2013
if you cross over a lying person, he will never add an inch of growth again
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by agog: 6:36am On Jul 16, 2013
Nice culture all the way.
remecy: Monitor lizards in youroba is called ekute ele(hope i got it right) meaning owner of the house, they say when you kill a monitor lizard, when you grow old and build your own house it will get destroyed.(i no know ohh
2) you don't wash cloths at night, if you do you will remain poor for life.
3)in iboand ebony land(not sure where exactly, you don't kill snakes there
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by afangide(m): 7:47am On Jul 16, 2013
delors:
Doesnt make sense na..everyone is a grandchild to some grandparents...my father is the grandchild of my great great grand father...so was my great great grandfather...and my uncle is the grandchild of his grandparents...my point is anybody could appease it then since everyone is a grandchild of some grandparents.
Ur getting me wrong, it happens at grandparents' place mostly the maternal side
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by damilola15: 8:30am On Jul 16, 2013
hakunajay:

its not wall gecko, its a specie of the monitor lizard (ala nbere) that the Yorubas sing " alanbere mori ó, ti o ba dejo, ma di abere, eje mi koro bi ewuro "

wall gecko are those lizards that are found inside people's homes and the Yorubas call it omo onile meaning the house owner's child... they prefer not to kill it anyways ...
That specie of lizard is called SKINK
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by miqos02(m): 9:39am On Jul 16, 2013
gluv01: If Rain fall and sun shine the same time, lion don born pikin grin

TIV people believe you must serve your male guest with your wife(s*x) to promote good friendship.
then i will be a regular guest in that house, but the woman must do it satisfactorily
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Lois20(f): 10:18am On Jul 16, 2013
someone earlier said you should get your facts right before you say, @gluv01 that is not true..... ask a tiv person and confirm it well.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by orjifavour(f): 10:29am On Jul 16, 2013
in some part of Ebonyi state u are not allowed 2 kill Green Snakes, they belive it is their great grand parent.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Abbey2sam(m): 11:03am On Jul 16, 2013
Ezebinaugwu: In hausa land if a man divorce his wife SAKI UKWU, he can only remarry her if another man marries her and divorce her Saki ukwu.
Actually, that's not culture, that is religion.....
Muslim

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by remecy(f): 1:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
Pororo:

I think you're trying to say "wall gecko" which is omo 'le. Monitor lizard is called "Antaa" while ekute ile means "house mouse".
ok thanks.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by onuwaje(m): 3:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
Henry praise:
Hey!!! Itsekiri "wadoo"(correct me) cheesy cheesy. This Onuwaje... Na only "Mobie" I sabi for itseke. How far.

Among the Ijaws, to share bitter kola wit sum one signifies u ar swearin to an oath wit d person.
its 'mokia-aghan'...
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by onuwaje(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2013
Henry praise:
Hey!!! Itsekiri "wadoo"(correct me) cheesy cheesy. This Onuwaje... Na only "Mobie" I sabi for itseke. How far.

Among the Ijaws, to share bitter kola wit sum one signifies u ar swearin to an oath wit d person.
its 'mokia-aghan'... And which part of ijaw pls
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by onuwaje(m): 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
Hilaskee: Ikwerre people in Port Harcourt prohibits female dog while every part of Ikwerre forbids having sex in the farm and in the floor. Also it is a taboo to sweep, cook or cry at midnight in Ikwerre culture.
I wanted to say that but I wasn't too sure cos I only know its 4bidden in 'ogbogoro' town in obio/akpo LGA
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by onuwaje(m): 3:08pm On Jul 16, 2013
It is forbidden in nnewi(according to my friend who hails from there) to eat perewinkles and other animals that have shells and I also heard d same in 'evwerni' (anoda part of urhobo) in delta state
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by AyBelly: 12:51am On Jul 17, 2013
shocked
ITbomb: In Ewele culture , if u buy a recharge card for a girl and u don't sleep with the girl , that girl will never pass any exams in her life.
Haba!!! Which tyme dat one start abi their jazz get recharge card?
ITbomb: In Ewele culture , if u buy a recharge card for a girl and u don't sleep with the girl , that girl will never pass any exams in her life.
Haba!!! Which tyme dat one start abi their jazz get recharge card?
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Akosbaba(m): 6:05am On Jul 17, 2013
remecy:
monitor lizards are those little lizards that live in houses .some call them wallgekos(hope i got that right)
omo onile
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by hakunajay(m): 6:39am On Jul 17, 2013
damilola15:
That specie of lizard is called SKINK

I've learnt a new thing. thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Beey(f): 1:44pm On Jul 17, 2013
Beey: Are you serious?Heeeeei! Naija people, some of your own culture wahala no be small oooh.(Hope I didn't murder pidgin).Lol.By the way?Where are these Naija men found in the U.S.A Answers and Insults are all welcome!!
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Abagworo(m): 6:26pm On Jul 17, 2013
In Jakagi tribe, if you marry a woman with small bossoms, you'll bear dwarfs.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by onuwaje(m): 8:09pm On Jul 17, 2013
Abagworo: In Jakagi tribe, if you marry a woman with small bossoms, you'll bear dwarfs.
bloody hell
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Sealeddeal(m): 5:21pm On Jul 18, 2013
onuwaje: It is forbidden in nnewi(according to my friend who hails from there) to eat perewinkles and other animals that have shells and I also heard d same in 'evwerni' (anoda part of urhobo) in delta state
its not forbidden to eat animals with shell in Nnewi.
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Sealeddeal(m): 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by Peterkleva(m): 2:46am On Aug 22, 2013
gluv01: If Rain fall and sun shine the same time, lion don born pikin grin

TIV people believe you must serve your male guest with your wife(s*x) to promote good friendship.
Chai make i begin go TIV kia kia
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by onuwaje(m): 4:44am On Aug 22, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
@Aduje ,Agbor people don't eat rats. That is Rabbit and it lives in d bush nt in d house.Take note. they're different b/w Rat & Rabbit.
oh! U mean bush rat??
Re: Crazy But True Facts About Culture by ayomutu(m): 1:34pm On May 15, 2018
AroOkigbo:

I'm surprised that this post was not hidden.
MODs are improving.

Hahahahah �����100% brain watch
na watch

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Northern Nigerian Women show off their Cultural Dance Moves. Nigerians reacts / Some African Proverbs You Suppose To Know / What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.