Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,231 members, 7,811,643 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

The North And Opposition Parties In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The North And Opposition Parties In Nigeria (853 Views)

2 Opposition Parties Deny Allegiance To Buhari / Okupe Calls Opposition Parties Noisemakers / INEC's Conditions For Opposition Parties’ Merger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The North And Opposition Parties In Nigeria by chrisobas(m): 12:40pm On Jul 15, 2013
When a man with clear vision and profound acceptance starts declining in his social and political statutes,watch it! It could be that the system has overwhelmed him or he simply was not fit from the beginning.

This brings us to the issue of the Nigeria state and it's governance as it stands now. When President Goodluck Jonathan was running for presidency in the year 2011,he had wide acceptance from the people though the North initially did not want him there as they perceived that their supposed uncompleted tenure due to the death of President Yar'adua was not to be inherited by a southerner but the way Goodluck Jonathan comported himself all through issue of the failing health of then President Musa Yar'adua coupled with his minority ethnic group origin and poor background gave him wide recognition and acceptance in Nigeria as the people voted massively for him even cutting across religious, ethnic and party divides. He subsequently won the election and from that day all hell broke loose.

General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) who ran against him on the platform of CPC party, made an inciting statement during that period saying Nigeria will be made ungovernable if he loses and I can confidently say that he has made do with his threat judging by the spat of violent events that have been unfolding since then.

The Boko Haram insurgency which had receded during the time of Yar'adua came fully alive as mayhem became the order of the day and is still the order of the day. President Goodluck Jonathan has not had the breath of fresh air he used as a slogan for his election talk less of making it available to the citizenry as promised. The question is, could it be that he is weak? My candid answer is NO. The President may be seen as been more reactionary than proactive but that does not in any way portray him as a weakling. Post election violence and Boko Haram issue were the first shots General Buhari and his cohorts unleashed from their arsenal and President Jonathan is still battling with it coupled with the other numerous antics they have made available to aid them in seizing power from him come 2015.

When we carefully look into how they are politicking to wrest power from the incumbent we will never call CPC, ACN, other parties and the yet to be formed APC the messianic platform. They have gradually found their way into the PDP party where they are venting their anger and fanning the embers of discord among once party faithfuls as seen in the rift between the Presidency and Governor Chibuike Amaechi of Rivers State.

Governor Amaechi who they left in the PDP until their well calculated period of time to be a mole by going contrary to the decisions of the party and even planning to run against the incumbent president come 2015 has been made to look like the small boy being beaten up by the big man,the President hence heralding sympathy from people who they have gradually manipulated so they can overwhelmingly vote for them come the next general election. Take a look at how Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) which is merely an Association but a powerful structure of determining who becomes who mostly at the federal level was hijacked by Governor Amaechi's greedy intent of a second spell which had never been so solely for his selfish aim of becoming the Vice-President as been promised by the North. By implication, Amaechi and Jonathan are both from the same South-south region and at the moment the same party and this could scuttle the latter's re-election. Who says the President should open his eyes and watch them pour sand into them? When will the people wake up to think and see what is being played right before their faces?

God save the people of Rivers state and Nigeria as a whole because the crises rocking the state is becoming alarming and could become uncontrollable if not duly checkmated. The majority of the people in the state have rejected Amaechi even his own party as he still stands suspended from the party as I write. The minority that stand by him who are mainly State House of Assembly members have as well been playing to the gallery. Going by the recent happening on the floor of the house, one can clearly see how this pro-Amaechi law makers attacked their colleagues and started crying wolf at the end of the day. Is this not a scheme to put the President in bad light? If Amaechi has displeasure with the President, why don't he mend fences or leave the party that has out-rightly disowned him until he makes a u-turn?

I have long seen and considered the merger to form APC party a sham.This is not that I do not want a two party system in Nigeria but how can the so called Salvation Army, ACN party that has almost recaptured the whole of south-west team up with the CPC party that is characterized with violence, bigotry and jingoism if they had nothing hidden in their cupboard? Chemist and non-chemist alike know that water can not mix with oil. So how come this supposed water is mixing with oil if it is truly what it claims to be? Check out the Save Nigeria Group, the so called Activists, Labour leaders and tell me what parties they belong to? They are majorly either in the ACN or the CPC . These people are not supposed to be partisan by virtue of what is required of them so that their sense of judgment would not be beclouded but is that what we see today? Even the so called opposition parties that are supposed to give constructive criticism which is good for a healthy democracy do not do so.

These Northerners who perceive the presidency to be their exclusive reserve due to their long military that has profited the nation nothing are tactical and seem to be the master of their own game as they have drastically reduced the love and acceptance the people once had for the President during his period of emergence. As it stands now, if free and fair elections were to hold tomorrow, the President may woefully lose out because they have succeeded in painting him black before the people.

The North and the opposition party(s) should allow this President of our's that once had no shoe the enabling environment to work as there are plethora of issues to fix like the power sector, unemployment, transportation system, and so on and let Nigerians judge him in the general poll on fair basis.

I am a hub writer (http://chrisobas.hubpages.com) and a blogger (http://naija2geda..com). More of my write ups can be found in these places.
Re: The North And Opposition Parties In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 15, 2013
General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) who ran against
him on the platform of CPC party, made an inciting
statement during that period saying Nigeria will be
made ungovernable if he loses and I can confidently
say that he has made do with his threat judging by
the spat of violent events that have been unfolding
since then.

I was beginning to enjoy your right up till I saw this crap you wrote. Where is your source? Ciroma and other pdp northerners made that statement.
Re: The North And Opposition Parties In Nigeria by chrisobas(m): 11:12pm On Jul 15, 2013
Obiagelli:
I was beginning to enjoy your right up till I saw this crap you wrote. Where is your source? Ciroma and other pdp northerners made that statement.
Thank God you mentioned Mallam Adamu Ciroma but let me add that former Governor of Kaduna State, Alhaji Lawal Kaita that was also found to have made such statement.They were the mouth piece of Buhari and the North. In this link, you find Chief E.K Clark referring to this (http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/boko-haram-arrest-ciroma-lawal-kaita-clark/#sthash.BTLec9g8.dpuf). Are these men not from the northerner extraction? Gen. Buhari was also found to have shed tears while presenting his campaign speech. Please Obiagelli can you explain to me and Nigerians why the General wept for Nigeria in public? If you read the whole write up you will clearly understand what I am all about here.
God Bless The Federal Republic of Nigeria!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Companies Generate As Much As 1,457mw Off-grid Power / Breaking News: Godswill Akpabio Faces Investigation Over Staunch Aide, Nse Ntuen / Gov. Suntai’s Wife Begs Legislators Not To Impeach Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.