Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? (4835 Views)

What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? / Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? / Java Programming For Dummies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Opey4luv(m): 7:58pm On Jul 16, 2013
I was inspired to create this thread after I saw Oga Seun's thread on which system is best for a programmer.
Although, the laptops there are really great but too expensive. Those are for those who either sees programming as their profession or those that are GURUS in it.
So back to the topic at hand, to all programmers in the house, which low budget laptop can a student use to learn programming.
Note: 1. These are for students so they must be generally affordable and cheaper than those 250K phreaks.
2. Laptops that can at least give them a great experience of programming.
3. They will surely progress to the class of the 250K ones one day.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Seun(m): 10:16pm On Jul 16, 2013
I think the HP 650 with a core i5 or i3 processor and at least 4gb of ram would be a good entry level laptop for anyone. Upgrade the RAM to 6 - 8 gb for even better performance.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by aitoehigie: 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2013
Dude I would recommend the Lenovo b570e. The keyboard is awesome. It's a Lenovo so that says so much. Also it has base 4gb ram and 500gb hrs.it costs approximately 70k but the value is more than the amount. I have a MacBook air but still use my Lenovo because of the setup. I use ubuntu installed in a vm for my coding and my host os is used for design and gaming.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Opey4luv(m): 5:28am On Jul 17, 2013
Seun: I think the HP 650 with a core i5 or i3 processor and at least 4gb of ram would be a good entry level laptop for anyone. Upgrade the RAM to 6 - 8 gb for even better performance.

Owkay boss, I'll take that into consideration and check out its other specs.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Opey4luv(m): 5:32am On Jul 17, 2013
aitoehigie: Dude I would recommend the Lenovo b570e. The keyboard is awesome. It's a Lenovo so that says so much. Also it has base 4gb ram and 500gb hrs.it costs approximately 70k but the value is more than the amount. I have a MacBook air but still use my Lenovo because of the setup. I use ubuntu installed in a vm for my coding and my host os is used for design and gaming.

Can the ram also be expanded to 6mb?
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by aitoehigie: 7:40am On Jul 17, 2013
Opey4luv:

Can the ram also be expanded to 6mb?
max ram is 8gb.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by samsolite(m): 5:07pm On Jul 18, 2013
Can I upgrade a 1gb RAM, 120GB HDD to 4GB?
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Seun(m): 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2013
samsolite: Can I upgrade a 1gb RAM, 120GB HDD to 4GB?
Probably not. Start with the HP 650. My first laptop was the old version of the HP 650 and it was great for coding.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by aitoehigie: 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2013
Seun: Probably not. Start with the HP 650. My first laptop was the old version of the HP 650 and it was great for coding.
I disagree. If you don't find the keyboard of the Lenovo b570e out of this world, I will refund the cost of purchase. Go for it @op
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Seun(m): 6:48pm On Jul 18, 2013
aitoehigie: I disagree. If you don't find the keyboard of the Lenovo b570e out of this world, I will refund the cost of purchase. Go for it @op
Where can he buy it from? How will he repair it if it has any issues? How available are its spare parts?
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by aitoehigie: 9:00pm On Jul 18, 2013
Seun: Where can he buy it from? How will he repair it if it has any issues? How available are its spare parts?
It's everywhere in computer village. I have used mine for almost 2 years and no issues
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Seun(m): 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2013
aitoehigie: It's everywhere in computer village. I have used mine for almost 2 years and no issues
Ok, that's good. I bet it's very similar to the HP 650 variants with core i3/i5 processors.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by aitoehigie: 5:21am On Jul 19, 2013
Seun: Ok, that's good. I bet it's very similar to the HP 650 variants with core i3/i5 processors.
Maybe
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Opey4luv(m): 11:51pm On Jul 19, 2013
My Bosses in the house, should I opt for the HP 650 with Widows 8, 7 or the one pre-installed with Ubuntu.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by aitoehigie: 1:11am On Jul 20, 2013
Opey4luv: My Bosses in the house, should I opt for the HP 650 with Widows 8, 7 or the one pre-installed with Ubuntu.
I still stand by my Lenovo b570e recommendation and try learning with Ubuntu or some other Unix variant. The learning curve maybe steep at first but is worth it in the end. At worst install windows 7 with a VM like virtualbox and install Ubuntu inside the vm. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by mistayeancah(m): 8:32am On Jul 22, 2013
How much does that LENOVO 570e cost?
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Seun(m): 10:35am On Jul 22, 2013
Opey4luv: My Bosses in the house, should I opt for the HP 650 with Widows 8, 7 or the one pre-installed with Ubuntu.
Choose Windows 8 with a core processor. Where do you intend to get the HP 650 pre-installed with Ubuntu in Nigeria, by the way?
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by wy2000(m): 8:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Opey4luv(m): 4:57am On Jul 23, 2013
Seun: Choose Windows 8 with a core processor. Where do you intend to get the HP 650 pre-installed with Ubuntu in Nigeria, by the way?

I think thats just what I'll do then try to install Ubuntu way after.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by acmajibo(m): 10:46am On Jul 23, 2013
I intend buying Dv6(HP). what about that?
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Seun(m): 5:33pm On Jul 23, 2013
acmajibo: I intend buying Dv6(HP). what about that?
It depends. Which one in particular?
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by samsolite(m): 7:39pm On Jul 23, 2013
Which should I go for:
1. Core i3 8GB 750GB

2. Core i5 4GB 500GB.

both HP G6
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by appleous: 8:24pm On Jul 23, 2013
Go for the core I3. You are future proofing yourself in terms of the hdd and the ram.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by Seun(m): 9:19am On Jul 24, 2013
samsolite: Which should I go for:
1. Core i3 8GB 750GB

2. Core i5 4GB 500GB.

both HP G6
which Core i3 specifically? Which core i5 specifically? Also, what's the price of each laptop? If the specific model of the core i5 is much faster than the specific model of the core i3, and if the core i5 laptop is more expensive, then it may make sense to buy laptop 2 and upgrade the ram immediately. Otherwise, go for the first 1. Upgrading from 4gb to 8gb makes a big difference in my experience.
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by aitoehigie: 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2013
Lenovo Lenovo Lenovo
Re: Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? by akereconfi: 5:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
How good is a HP G6...core i7, 750gig HDD, 6gig RAM cos I just bought that, travelling to hungary wf it for my course i got admitted into

(1) (Reply)

What Laptop Spec Is Good 4 Programming And Graphic Design? / Coding Challenge 5: Substring Generator / How Do You Market Your Self As A Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.