Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela (2487 Views)

DEVASTATED: SEE What Wole Soyinka Has To Say About Nelson Mandela's Death / 10 Secrets You Didn't Know About Nelson Mandela / 10 Amazing Facts You Did Not Know About Nelson Mandela (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 18, 2013
1. Mandela’s tribal nickname is “Rolihlahla,” meaning “Troublemaker.”
Other accounts translate Rolihlalhla to mean “to pull a branch from a tree,” which, of course, is something only a troublemaker would do. It was his teacher, Miss Mdingane, who gave him the English name “Nelson,” much to the relief of journalists everywhere when he became famous.

2. Mandela was expelled from university after less than a year.
After finishing boarding school, Mandela headed to Fort Hare Missionary College. Less than 12 months later, he was expelled from college for helping to organize a strike against the white colonial rule of the institution. One might call this foreshadowing.

3. The United Nations decreed his birthday as Mandela Day.
In 2009, the U.N. declared Mandela’s birthday, July 18, as Mandela Day to mark his contribution to world freedom. The holiday calls on individuals to donate 67 minutes to doing something for others, reflecting the 67 years that Mandela had been a part of the anti-apartheid movement.

4. Mandela is often referred to as Madiba, his Xhosa clan name
Mandela is a member of the Thembu, a Xhosa clan, and is often referred to by his clan name, Madiba. It is a sign of the incredible diversity of people and languages in South Africa. The country has 11 different official languages.

5. Mandela’s father had four wives, and Nelson is one of 13 children.
Mandela’s father, a local chief and councellor to the Thembu king, died from tuberculosis when his son was 9. Before that, he fathered 13 children by four wives, four boys and nine girls. After his father’s death, Mandela was put under the guardianship of Jongintaba, the Thembu regent.

6. Mandela has received more than 250 awards for his accomplishments.
Among these awards is the shared 1993 Nobel Peace Prize with F.W. de Klerk, the last president of the apartheid government of South Africa (he too is widely credited as an instrumental force in ending apartheid). Additionally, Mandela has received more than 50 honorary degrees from international universities worldwide, became the first honorary Canadian citizen in 2001, and received the last Lenin Peace Prize from the Soviet Union.

7. Stevie Wonder dedicated his 1985 Oscar for “I Just Called to Say I Love You” to Mandela.
After Stevie accepted his award in honor of Nelson Mandela, the government-owned South African Broadcasting Corporation banned Stevie’s music from the airways. It wasn’t until Mandela was elected in 1994 that Stevie was finally allowed back in South Africa.

8. Mandela outlived his two oldest sons.
Mandela had six children, but tragically lost his two oldest sons. Thembi died in a car crash at age 25. Mandela was in prison at the time of the death and was unable to attend the funeral. Another son died of AIDS in 2005 at age 54. While Mandela’s administration was criticized for not doing enough to fight the AIDS epidemic in South Africa, he established the Nelson Mandela Foundation in 1999 following his retirement to help fight the spread of AIDS.

9. Mandela ran away from home at age of 19.
When his guardian tried to arrange a marriage, Mandela ran away from home in 1941 and headed to Johannesburg. He began to work as a night watchman at Crown Mines, but was fired after it was discovered that he was the Thembu regent’s runaway.

10. Mandela spent his first night after being freed from prison in Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu’s home.
Tutu had his helpers prepare his own favorite meal of chicken curry, rice and green salad, followed by rum raisin ice cream and custard.

http://www.nigerianreporter.com/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-nelson-mandela/

Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by LOUDmedia(m): 9:34am On Jul 18, 2013
An African hero!
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by heynew: 9:39am On Jul 18, 2013
USarmy: 1. Mandela’s tribal nickname is “Rolihlahla,” meaning “Troublemaker.”
Other accounts translate Rolihlalhla to mean “to pull a branch from a tree,” which, of course, is something only a troublemaker would do. It was his teacher, Miss Mdingane, who gave him the English name “Nelson,” much to the relief of journalists everywhere when he became famous.

2. Mandela was expelled from university after less than a year.
After finishing boarding school, Mandela headed to Fort Hare Missionary College. Less than 12 months later, he was expelled from college for helping to organize a strike against the white colonial rule of the institution. One might call this foreshadowing.

3. The United Nations decreed his birthday as Mandela Day.
In 2009, the U.N. declared Mandela’s birthday, July 18, as Mandela Day to mark his contribution to world freedom. The holiday calls on individuals to donate 67 minutes to doing something for others, reflecting the 67 years that Mandela had been a part of the anti-apartheid movement.

4. Mandela is often referred to as Madiba, his Xhosa clan name
Mandela is a member of the Thembu, a Xhosa clan, and is often referred to by his clan name, Madiba. It is a sign of the incredible diversity of people and languages in South Africa. The country has 11 different official languages.

5. Mandela’s father had four wives, and Nelson is one of 13 children.
Mandela’s father, a local chief and councellor to the Thembu king, died from tuberculosis when his son was 9. Before that, he fathered 13 children by four wives, four boys and nine girls. After his father’s death, Mandela was put under the guardianship of Jongintaba, the Thembu regent.

6. Mandela has received more than 250 awards for his accomplishments.
Among these awards is the shared 1993 Nobel Peace Prize with F.W. de Klerk, the last president of the apartheid government of South Africa (he too is widely credited as an instrumental force in ending apartheid). Additionally, Mandela has received more than 50 honorary degrees from international universities worldwide, became the first honorary Canadian citizen in 2001, and received the last Lenin Peace Prize from the Soviet Union.

7. Stevie Wonder dedicated his 1985 Oscar for “I Just Called to Say I Love You” to Mandela.
After Stevie accepted his award in honor of Nelson Mandela, the government-owned South African Broadcasting Corporation banned Stevie’s music from the airways. It wasn’t until Mandela was elected in 1994 that Stevie was finally allowed back in South Africa.

8. Mandela outlived his two oldest sons.
Mandela had six children, but tragically lost his two oldest sons. Thembi died in a car crash at age 25. Mandela was in prison at the time of the death and was unable to attend the funeral. Another son died of AIDS in 2005 at age 54. While Mandela’s administration was criticized for not doing enough to fight the AIDS epidemic in South Africa, he established the Nelson Mandela Foundation in 1999 following his retirement to help fight the spread of AIDS.

9. Mandela ran away from home at age of 19.
When his guardian tried to arrange a marriage, Mandela ran away from home in 1941 and headed to Johannesburg. He began to work as a night watchman at Crown Mines, but was fired after it was discovered that he was the Thembu regent’s runaway.

10. Mandela spent his first night after being freed from prison in Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu’s home.
Tutu had his helpers prepare his own favorite meal of chicken curry, rice and green salad, followed by rum raisin ice cream and custard.

http://www.nigerianreporter.com/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-nelson-mandela/

This is so inspiring
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Lilimax(f): 9:48am On Jul 18, 2013
This man is a living legend indeed!.
Happy birthday Madiba Mandela.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 9:49am On Jul 18, 2013
I have heard much about Obafemi Awolowo and all good he did for Africa, is he greater than Nelson Mandela ?.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by oderemo(m): 9:51am On Jul 18, 2013
Willy4Willy: I have heard much about Obafemi Awolowo and all good he did for Africa, is he greater than Nelson Mandela ?.
take that wiily out of your anus, stay focus.topic is abt. MADIBA.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 9:54am On Jul 18, 2013
ode remo:
take that wiily out of your anus, stay focus.topic is abt. MADIBA.
Ode from Remo Ogun state, is Awolowo greater than Mandela ?
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by debetmx(m): 10:37am On Jul 18, 2013
Willy4Willy:
Ode from Remo Ogun state, is Awolowo greater than Mandela ?

No, ojukwu was greater than Mandela
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 10:47am On Jul 18, 2013
debetmx:
No, ojukwu was greater than Mandela
Nice you said Awolowo is like a house boy for Mandela, why i compared both of them is that Mandala is father of South Africa and Hero of black race, and here in Nigeria we believed that Awolowo is the founder and Father of all Nigeria.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by AlfaB: 11:02am On Jul 18, 2013
Willy4Willy:
Nice you said Awolowo is like a house boy for Mandela, why i compared both of them is that Mandala is father of South Africa and Hero of black race, and here in Nigeria we believed that Awolowo is the founder and Father of all Nigeria.

grin grin grin grin whatever smoke made you believe that.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by fr3do(m): 11:03am On Jul 18, 2013
After all his sacrifices,He only ruled for 4 years.
He is a hero.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by debetmx(m): 11:06am On Jul 18, 2013
[/b][b]
Willy4Willy:

No, ojukwu was the father of Southern Nigeria. Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in prison, while ojukwu took a hike to CIV while Wole Soyinka wasted 27 months of his life because of your people and you come on NL and spew rubbish and disparage his person. UNGRATEFUL LOT!
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Horus(m): 11:34am On Jul 18, 2013

Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2013
@ willy4willy and debetmx, wetin concern awolowo and ojukwu with mandela history.

U guys like tribal wahala sha
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by musiwa33: 2:43pm On Jul 18, 2013
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 9:21pm On Jul 18, 2013
debetmx: [/b][b]
No, ojukwu was the father of Southern Nigeria. Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in prison, while ojukwu took a hike to CIV while Wole Soyinka wasted 27 months of his life because of your people and you come on NL and spew rubbish and disparage his person. UNGRATEFUL LOT!
Debe, Wole Soyinka is not my father, never done nothing for me and own me no obligation, i just like him for who he is, but because of old age he don't need to give interviews again, this today Soyinka is no more the one we knew. Today Soyinka is now a Smoker of dangerous Ekiti Ganja(wewe) at old age.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by debetmx(m): 10:20am On Jul 19, 2013
Willy4Willy:
Debe, Wole Soyinka is not my father, never done nothing for me and own me no obligation, i just like him for who he is, but because of old age he don't need to give interviews again, this today Soyinka is no more the one we knew. Today Soyinka is now a Smoker of dangerous Ekiti Ganja(wewe) at old age.

I had warned you in a previous thread that those that live in glass houses don't throw stones.

ojukwu too is not your father, never done nothing for you but wasted 3M lives of your people. I guess he was smoking the name of your tribe (IGBO), when he led your people to their deaths.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 11:50am On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:

I had warned you in a previous thread that those that live in glass houses don't throw stones.

ojukwu too is not your father, never done nothing for you but wasted 3M lives of your people. I guess he was smoking the name of your tribe (IGBO), when he led your people to their deaths.
Debe, I'm igbo and Ojukwu is not my father and own me no obligation, i like him for who he was and what he stood for.
Ojukwu was not a thief unlike Awolowo as the finance minister with his Yoruba kinsmen descended on Nigeria Coffers, institutionalized corruption that ruined the Economy of this Country.
I believed that Awolowo is the Father of Nigeria and Africa, he is grater than Mandela, he built fist TV station in Africa, first Cocoa Hausa in Africa, first Skyscraper in Africa, First University in Africa,
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by debetmx(m): 12:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
Willy4Willy: Debe, I'm igbo and Ojukwu is not my father and own me no obligation, i like him for who he was and what he stood for. Ojukwu was not a thief unlike Awolowo as the finance minister with his Yoruba kinsmen descended on Nigeria Coffers, institutionalized corruption that ruined the Economy of this Country. I believed that Awolowo is the Father of Nigeria and Africa, he is grater than Mandela, he built fist TV station in Africa, first Cocoa Hausa in Africa, first Skyscraper in Africa, First University in Africa,

Ok, you are weed abi. If I may ask you what did the man called a cantankerous coward by in-law stand for and mean to you? If I can remember ojukwu reminds of another weed (Igbo) man, after starting and leading people to their deaths ran away dressed like a woman? Ifeajuna!

Back to ojukwu. Yes he was the first man who led a war against his fatherland and came back to the same country to seek an elective position in the same country. He was the first man, sorry second man after another of kinsmen to wasted other people's lives and run away into exile.

He was the first man who led his biafran forces to break into the Central Bank in Benin
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:

Ok, you are weed abi. If I may ask you what did the man called a cantankerous coward by in-law stand for and mean to you? If I can remember ojukwu reminds of another weed (Igbo) man, after starting and leading people to their deaths ran away dressed like a woman? Ifeajuna!

Back to ojukwu. Yes he was the first man who led a war against his fatherland and came back to the same country to seek an elective position in the same country. He was the first man, sorry second man after another of kinsmen to wasted other people's lives and run away into exile.

He was the first man who led his biafran forces to break into the Central Bank in Benin
Since i was born i never heard Ojukwu was a Thief and no one have ever accused him of stealing from Nigeria Coffers and never told or encourage his people to steal, I like him for what he stood for, but one self Claimed Father of Nigeria and Africa as Finance Minister personally, spearheaded and supervised the worst Looting of Nigeria Coffers by his Kinsmen that Ruined the Economy of this Country, All hail the only Mighty Corrupt and Magnificent Otapiapia Man.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by debetmx(m): 1:34pm On Jul 19, 2013
Willy4Willy:
Since i was born i never heard Ojukwu was a Thief and no one have ever accused him of stealing from Nigeria Coffers and never told or encourage his people to steal, I like him for what he stood for, but one self Claimed Father of Nigeria and Africa as Finance Minister personally, spearheaded and supervised the worst Looting of Nigeria Coffers by his Kinsmen that Ruined the Economy of this Country, All hail the only Mighty Corrupt and Magnificent Otapiapia Man.

Why looted in the CBN in Benin? Awo I guess. Why did Awolowo change the Nigeria currency during the war?

Ojukwu on Awolowo in his book "Because I Am Involved"

"In political terms, he would be considered an adversary of the igbos given the intense rivalry between him and Dr Nnamdi Azikwe. As a leader of the modern cast, he has left Nigeria standards which are indelible, standards beside which future aspirants to public leadership can be eternally measured. He was firm, articulate, painstaking, and uncompromising. He was, for a long time, the only Nigerian leader who enunciated principles and played down personalities. He was a brilliant political administrator and a most erudite teacher. He not only identified himself wholly with the aspirations of the Yoruba people of Nigeria but also he was able to convince the Yoruba people of Nigeria that he and only he epitomized the highest point of their political aspirations and consciousness. He was loved, he was feared but above all he belonged to the people he professed to lead. At his death I had the singular honour of proposing for him the epitaph that has endured – ‘he was the best President that Nigeria never had’.

Many have wondered what I meant by this, but I believe the statement was clear. Nigeria would have benefited from his presidency because of his inate presidential qualities. Nigeria must continually regret that he never, for many reasons, had the opportunity to serve at the presidential level. Awo was a leader of great stature. He was a leader who was eminently successful. That he did not fulfill a presidential ambition cannot detract from his leadership, and us, poor us, who were not his people, must continue, to regret that our own leaders had not led us as he did his people or achieved for us as he did for his people.

He perceived his job as leading his people and God his soul. He did a lot for them. Whenever he saw an opportunity for his people, he went for it. He had a dream for the Yorubas and was steadfast in the pursuit of that dream. He knew where he was going and took his people with him without deceit. That is why he will remain immortal in the area of his influence".
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 1:49pm On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:
Ojukwu on Awolowo in his book "Because I Am Involved"

"In political terms, he would be considered an adversary of the igbos given the intense rivalry between him and Dr Nnamdi Azikwe. As a leader of the modern cast, he has left Nigeria standards which are indelible, standards beside which future aspirants to public leadership can be eternally measured. He was firm, articulate, painstaking, and uncompromising. He was, for a long time, the only Nigerian leader who enunciated principles and played down personalities. He was a brilliant political administrator and a most erudite teacher. He not only identified himself wholly with the aspirations of the Yoruba people of Nigeria but also he was able to convince the Yoruba people of Nigeria that he and only he epitomized the highest point of their political aspirations and consciousness. He was loved, he was feared but above all he belonged to the people he professed to lead. At his death I had the singular honour of proposing for him the epitaph that has endured – ‘he was the best President that Nigeria never had’.

Many have wondered what I meant by this, but I believe the statement was clear. Nigeria would have benefited from his presidency because of his inate presidential qualities. Nigeria must continually regret that he never, for many reasons, had the opportunity to serve at the presidential level. Awo was a leader of great stature. He was a leader who was eminently successful. That he did not fulfill a presidential ambition cannot detract from his leadership, and us, poor us, who were not his people, must continue, to regret that our own leaders had not led us as he did his people or achieved for us as he did for his people.

He perceived his job as leading his people and God his soul. He did a lot for them. Whenever he saw an opportunity for his people, he went for it. He had a dream for the Yorubas and was steadfast in the pursuit of that dream. He knew where he was going and took his people with him without deceit. That is why he will remain immortal in the area of his influence".
hahahaaa, hahaaaaaa.
God saved Nigeria Awo never rule, Awo presidency could have been the worst thing that ever happened to Nigeria,
Ojukwu was just making mockery of Awo by saying Awo is the best president that Nigeria never had
i still believe that Awolowo is the Father of all Nigeria and Africa not Mandela
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by debetmx(m): 1:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
Willy4Willy:
hahahaaa, hahaaaaaa.
God saved Nigeria Awo never rule, Awo presidency could have been the worst thing that ever happened to Nigeria,
Ojukwu was just making mockery of Awo by saying Awo is the best president that Nigeria never had

You must be laughing in your IGBO infested mind.

and us, poor us, who were not his people, must continue, to regret that our own leaders had not led us as he did his people or achieved for us as he did for his people.
Willy4Willy:
hahahaaa, hahaaaaaa.

and us, poor us, who were not his people, must continue, to regret that our own leaders had not led us as he did his people or achieved for us as he did for his people.
Willy4Willy:
hahahaaa, hahaaaaaa.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:

And where are you today,

Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 2:02pm On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:

haaaahaaa, where are you today? which achievement.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by debetmx(m): 2:21pm On Jul 19, 2013
Willy4Willy: haaaahaaa, where are you today? which achievement.

We are in okija shrine with Theodore Orji.
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela by Willy4Willy: 5:12pm On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:
We are in okija shrine with Theodore Orji.
Kool, you are in okija shrine with Theodore Orji, are you teaching him credit Card Fraud business, ok you took him there to swear he must pay after a successful deal. my Guy you dey too much ooo.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Liberian Man, Patrick Sawyer, With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is DEAD / Fela's Ex-wife Reveals Shocking Details About Him / Boko Haram Recaptures Gamboru-ngala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.