Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Automatic Gearbox Problems - Car Talk (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Problems (189020 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by damas60(m): 11:39am On Dec 06, 2018
Yea, I got the number later on the thread, but it's not going through. Probably not functional anymore.
afeez20:

Please did you get the contact of the mechanic yet?
My Honda CRV 00 is having gear problem.
Pls kindly post the mechanic(IyanaIpaja) details here .
Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by donkuso(f): 5:09pm On Dec 06, 2018
@cartalk
Please i drive 2003 Toyota 4 Runner, last month i was in a hold up and when the traffic moved i discovered that the gear stick is rotating freely when i tried to shift to drive,looking at the dashboard to see position of the selection (because of the free rotation of the gear stick when i move it) it was on permanent reverse. I switched off and called my mechanic to come and retrieve it. He later called me to inform that the brainbox in the gear box needs changing.The cost is 170k,he said if i doubt i should drop 30k upfront after repairs i will use for 1month and pay the balance. Ironically i dropped the 40k and i am using the car now. Plesase did he dupe me? should i go ahead and pay him the rest of the money,i hate greed people. Thanks.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:53am On Dec 08, 2018
donkuso:
@cartalk
Please i drive 2003 Toyota 4 Runner, last month i was in a hold up and when the traffic moved i discovered that the gear stick is rotating freely when i tried to shift to drive,looking at the dashboard to see position of the selection (because of the free rotation of the gear stick when i move it) it was on permanent reverse. I switched off and called my mechanic to come and retrieve it. He later called me to inform that the brainbox in the gear box needs changing.The cost is 170k,he said if i doubt i should drop 30k upfront after repairs i will use for 1month and pay the balance. Ironically i dropped the 40k and i am using the car now. Plesase did he dupe me? should i go ahead and pay him the rest of the money,i hate greed people. Thanks.

Sounds implausible. Most likely a gear selector issue or range sensor going faulty. You should have had a second opinion before committing. Which mechanic does a N170k job and waits for a month to collect his balance of N130k?

5 Likes

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:59am On Dec 08, 2018
Ladipodeal:
Got a gear box U51 for sale suitable for
2004–2006 Camry (V6) (1MZ/3MZ)

2004–2008 Solara (V6) (3MZ)

2004-2010 Sienna (V6) (3MZ/2GR-FE)

2004-2013 Highlander (V6) (3MZ)(2GR)

2004-2006 Lexus RX 330 (V6) (3MZ)

2004-2006 Lexus ES 330 (V6) (3MZ)

2005–2007 Avalon (V6) (2GR-FE)

2006-2012 Rav4 (V6) (2GR-FE)

2005–2009 Avensis (I4) (2AZ-FSE)
Payment can be made after the gearbox successfully installed and confirmed OK.

I think it would be better if you attach the prices to these items.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by afeez20(m): 6:39am On Dec 09, 2018
Hello Oga Kashif and other pros in the house oo.
My Honda CRV 00 doesn't shift gear anymore.i just got the
car (Naija used) and everything was working fine until my recent trip
when passersby called my attention to oil gush from underneath the car
while inside lasgidi traffic...i parked the car luckily my mecho was with me,
he did some first aid fixing,got some oil to enable us drive the car home.
next day on way to drop car for mechanic(10mins drive) for permanent fix,
i perceived burnt smell.mechanic said the hose that links transmission to
radiator for cooling transmission is the culprit and it was changed and remedied.
new ATF bought and the car was driving well until 8days after when the car was
so sluggish in moving,mechanic said gear/transmission is gone and will need a replacement

.....i scanned the car and i got these codes.... then i checked online and i got this descriptions..

P0501 powertrain,vehicle speed sensor

PO135 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank1 sensor1

P1337 crankshaft speed fluctuation

PO141 circuit to duo sensor.bank0 sensor2

P0514 Battery temperature sensor circuit

Kashif:

Looking for my thinking cap ...
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by afeez20(m): 1:15am On Dec 12, 2018
ÒGA Gazzuzz said I should check YouTube videos for VSS.if I can solve p0501 issue can will be ok.

Thank you so much Oga Gazzuzz for your big help..
I called my mechanic and he removed the VSS then cleaned it with kerosene and installed it back into the car.the car now shift to other gears...You are so awesome bro.......3 different Kazeem do tell me say na gear replacement .lucky I had a car scanner.
Car owners pls get a car scanner ...you can imagine there amount of headache it can save you from.
Such a basic fix..Knowledge is power bro...
10 bottle of origin for you sir. grin

afeez20:
Hello Oga Kashif and other pros in the house oo.
My Honda CRV 00 doesn't shift gear anymore.i just got the
car (Naija used) and everything was working fine until my recent trip
when passersby called my attention to oil gush from underneath the car
while inside lasgidi traffic...i parked the car luckily my mecho was with me,
he did some first aid fixing,got some oil to enable us drive the car home.
next day on way to drop car for mechanic(10mins drive) for permanent fix,
i perceived burnt smell.mechanic said the hose that links transmission to
radiator for cooling transmission is the culprit and it was changed and remedied.
new ATF bought and the car was driving well until 8days after when the car was
so sluggish in moving,mechanic said gear/transmission is gone and will need a replacement

.....i scanned the car and i got these codes.... then i checked online and i got this descriptions..

P0501 powertrain,vehicle speed sensor

PO135 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank1 sensor1

P1337 crankshaft speed fluctuation

PO141 circuit to duo sensor.bank0 sensor2

P0514 Battery temperature sensor circuit

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Besto(m): 1:46pm On Jan 01, 2019
Is cardoctor and other gurus still on this thread?

Biko i have a serious issue with my 2004 toyota camry. The stalling is out of this world especially when climbing the slightest hill. I dare not even try to overtake except in a slope. My mechanic blame the problem on MAF, he said it is weak. Anytime he cleans it with choke cleaner it will work for just few hours and then return to normal stalling again. Though after cleaning the MAF it only improves the performance but not totally. Aside MAF, what else should i be looking at?

I complained about the gear not shifting properly, he said it is because the vehicle is stalling thats why my gear doesnt change properly, he said the gear is fine, probably to defend the work he did on the gear few months ago, inside of me tells me its a gear problem.

Experiencing same, the culprit is the maf. I have bought new maf, still same as the maf only picks up on a restart. I'm suspecting wiring harness for such behavior. Did you fix yours??

Note: your gear won't shift properly if you aswell because of less power from the engine which ofcourse is running on lean fuel because of the maf
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kayphyzee(m): 5:14pm On Jan 02, 2019
@cardoctor and other gurus, happy new year!

My issue has to do with the transmission of a 2001 Rav4 that I just got. After purchase, I had my mechanic drain the transmission fluid inside and replace with Toyota Type T-IV. I decided to take it with me on the family Christmas trip and noticed that it wouldn't go beyond gear 3 (80km/hr at 3100rpm). Even when I fire up to 4000rpm, it still wouldn't engage gear 4. All through the trip, I left the speed at 80km/hr (3100rpm).

Apart from that issue, I noticed that the Reverse gear when engaged would sometimes give noticeable jerks and the accelerator depressed. Other times, it moves fine.

I'd like your opinion on what's going on and how to rectify same. Many thanks.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by donkwango: 6:57am On Jan 14, 2019
Hello Cardoctor!

My 2003 Toyota Camry SE V6 (Big Daddy) automatic transmission, drags before changing from gear 2 to 3. I took it to a transmission mechanic and he said it's from the body valve and transmission gear oil filter. These two were changed and serviced but the issue continued. I was talked into changing the transmission box, which I did, but the problem persists. Please I need a solution to this problem. I've called your phone numbers on your signature but it rang out. I can come to your office, if you're still in the address on your signature as I'm based in Abuja. Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by alphaNomega: 10:14am On Jan 14, 2019
kayphyzee:

My issue has to do with the transmission of a 2001 Rav4 that I just got. After purchase, I had my mechanic drain the transmission fluid inside and replace with Toyota Type T-IV. I decided to take it with me on the family Christmas trip and noticed that it wouldn't go beyond gear 3 (80km/hr at 3100rpm). Even when I fire up to 4000rpm, it still wouldn't engage gear 4. All through the trip, I left the speed at 80km/hr (3100rpm).

Apart from that issue, I noticed that the Reverse gear when engaged would sometimes give noticeable jerks and the accelerator depressed. Other times, it moves fine.

Check your engine timing
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by guru01(m): 9:03pm On Jan 14, 2019
My Honda Accord 1999/2000 enters gear but it doesn't move.
What might be the cause.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by afuyebusayo: 4:38pm On Jan 18, 2019
Pls I can't get oando dexro 3 gear oil for my Honda EOd. Which other gear oil can I use
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 7:03am On Jan 19, 2019
donkwango:
Hello Cardoctor!

My 2003 Toyota Camry SE V6 (Big Daddy) automatic transmission, drags before changing from gear 2 to 3. I took it to a transmission mechanic and he said it's from the body valve and transmission gear oil filter. These two were changed and serviced but the issue continued. I was talked into changing the transmission box, which I did, but the problem persists. Please I need a solution to this problem. I've called your phone numbers on your signature but it rang out. I can come to your office, if you're still in the address on your signature as I'm based in Abuja. Thanks

I am saddened reading this. Money was wasted replacing gear!

Have you scanned the car?

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 7:07am On Jan 19, 2019
guru01:
My Honda Accord 1999/2000 enters gear but it doesn't move.
What might be the cause.

A couple of things - bad torque converter, worn input shaft, low oil, bad manual valve, broken fork, clogged filter, bad gear etc
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 7:10am On Jan 19, 2019
kayphyzee:

Scan and see if you have engine knock sensor code
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Nobody: 6:29am On Feb 17, 2019
Good morning bosses, please i was made to understand that Toyota Highlander 2001-2007 model have different gear boxes of 10 pin and 13 pin. Please how do i avoid the problems of the 13 pin models

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by NobleGee001: 12:58am On May 19, 2019
Please i have a gear problem with my peogeout 607 automatic. I would like to change the gear completely, how much will peogeout 607 gear cost. Please help.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by luluspin(m): 10:50am On Jun 02, 2019
Good days house... I need a technical advice... On my car , camry 2003 4 plug le.... It developed fault 2 weeks ago. The gear power wasnt enough all of a sudden, pushing the gear to reverse was sounding as if the gear/engine will fall apart.... Meanwhile after running a scan ,No error code on gear was detected aside catalyst n wheel speed sensor error.mechanic said the problem was a pulled shaft head. And he replaced it
Back to the shaft head ish..ever since then the car grunmble when accelerating from gear 1 to 2.. Buts fade away as the gear increases.

Mechanics said it was gear ,that the axle is bad that it needs to be changed for 40k ( all this while the gear selects fine and the acceleration is top notch..)
After paying 40k the guy said on opening the gear its burnt n its has particles in it that he need 13k extra to buy parts to it. Now after repair my car engine is under powered gear jerk n rev alot when changing gear.. The sound from gear one to gear two is still here , car moves horribly pls help... I need a new 10 pin gear
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Mkluther: 2:26pm On Oct 21, 2019
@car-doctor please its possible to convert Acura tl to auto transmission? Hope no risk of danger, plz advise sir
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by POSH007: 6:49am On Mar 07, 2020
Hello house,I have been having a serious issue with 2010 toyota camry , v6 , 22 pin gearbox for the past two months now and I need help and advise. I was traveling and on my way I discovered my engine was revving but my accelarator was stalk on 60, so I stopped, off the car and put it back on but it didn't engage in drive or reverse so I had to roll the car,the gearbox mechanic said my oil pump , filter and torque converter was bad so we changed all of it and put WS oil. It worked but it was in one gear, so we got another TCM gearbox brain box and then it selected but right now whenever am entering gear 2 at Lowes speed , the car jerks and when am deaccelerating, it jerks when its about to come to gear 2 , also it like it using power to pick up when in drive. Another gearbox mechanic said we have to change valve body because in addition to the previous problem when the car is parked over night , it won't reverse or it sluggish when entering reverse , he said its the valve body that is making it jerk when entering gear 2 and also making it not entered reverse. I have spent close to 200k fixing this gearbox, I know realize I would have been patient, save up and buy a new gearbox but right now am totally broke, the last money I have is what am about to give him to change the valve body because he said using a bad valve body can lead to burning the fibre. Please anybody out there with similar problem using 22 pin gearbox to please advise me.
Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by melviniyke2002(m): 12:27pm On Mar 14, 2020
donkuso:
@cartalk
do u mean 70k or 170k.....

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by purespikes: 9:27pm On Mar 17, 2020
Hello great people. I need a good Mercedes Benz technician in Abuja. Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by vinzita1(m): 8:45am On Mar 20, 2020
Greetings

My car Toyota Camry 08 grunmble when accelerating from gear 1 to 2, Buts fade away as the gear increases.
Sometimes, while driving and about to make a stop and move again, it will delay about 2 to 3 secs before picking.

Pls I will appreciate whosever has experience it and solutions.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by purespikes: 9:21am On Mar 20, 2020
Who can help with car diagnosis please?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Musty4ahmed1: 2:15am On Jun 03, 2020
Please advice, my transmission oil was leaking under the engine so I took it to a mechanic, in the process of loosening the nut, some quantity of ATF poured away before he could retight it.
When I later check the gauge it was short, should I buy and top the ATF? What is the implication?
Thank you!
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by VGirls: 7:35am On Jun 16, 2020
Goodmorning, cardoctor, gazuzzu, and other gurus in the house . I have a disturbing issue with my 2008 ML 320CDI. (Dieael).The transmission is giving me so much sleepless nights. It engages in D,P and R but when the car moves it is unable to shift efficiently from one gear to the other . I need serious help as it is almost sending me back to the village. Will appreciate your solution / feedback.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by sirleke(m): 6:02am On Oct 22, 2020
How much is the ATF DW-1 ?
cardoctor:

You may be right but the ATF Z1 is still very much available. I bought a carton of 12 last Saturday to do a tranny flush on a Honda Pilot.

Yeah, ATF DW1 is ok for the Honda Accord 2005.

Car-doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Mrhenry007: 4:14pm On Nov 09, 2020
valarinz:

Call my number
Please, your number
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by valarinz: 6:04pm On Nov 09, 2020
Mrhenry007:

Please, your number

Do you have a Volvo?

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by candygebs: 6:26pm On Nov 09, 2020
Have u fixed it

vinzita1:
Greetings

My car Toyota Camry 08 grunmble when accelerating from gear 1 to 2, Buts fade away as the gear increases.
Sometimes, while driving and about to make a stop and move again, it will delay about 2 to 3 secs before picking.

Pls I will appreciate whosever has experience it and solutions.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.