Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Automatic Gearbox Problems - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Problems (188369 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by visitor30(m): 1:31pm On Sep 09, 2013
Good Morning Car-doctor,
Please kindly help me with best Auto-Gear Transmission Oil to use in a Nissan Pathfinder 1996-1998 model. A colleague of mine in the office wants to make a fluid change. He is planning on using the regular Abbro product. Will that fly or will it land him into problems later? Thanks!
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 10, 2013
Pls Car Doctor,I just got a new auto gear box for 90K,which ATF and Coolant is best for Ford Galaxy 1995-2000 model?.My Mechanic used Seahorse on the last one that got busted and he insists its ok.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:40am On Sep 11, 2013
Kamanda: Pls Car Doctor,I just got a new auto gear box for 90K,which ATF and Coolant is best for Ford Galaxy 1995-2000 model?.My Mechanic used Seahorse on the last one that got busted and he insists its ok.

If your galaxy is a 1995-2000 model then all you need is a good quality Dexron 3 and Seahorse is ok.

As for the coolant, there's quite a few good ones in the market. Just look out for authenticity.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2013
visitor30: Good Morning Car-doctor,
Please kindly help me with best Auto-Gear Transmission Oil to use in a Nissan Pathfinder 1996-1998 model. A colleague of mine in the office wants to make a fluid change. He is planning on using the regular Abbro product. Will that fly or will it land him into problems later? Thanks!

Better be careful with Abro ATF. It can easily damage your gearbox. I think its better adapted for power steering use.

Use Nissan Matic-D oil if you can find that in your area or ask nl member Nissparts if he has any.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by visitor30(m): 9:52am On Sep 11, 2013
^^^^
Thanks Car-doctor! I have told him to go look for Nissan gear transmission oil, though he said there is no difference in using the Abbro or Sea Horse........that it is just from different manufactures..........that all those so called big names and what the manuals of most vehicle says ain't applicable here in Nigeria, sine we have a different weather condition. I left him and said after all it is vehicle and his money!

A quick one, what will be responsible for the delay/slow shift in auto gear of a Honda CR-V 98 model. Just change the gear oil using the "Castrol Import multi-vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). I attached the product data sheet for your advise!"

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Digriz(m): 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2013
Pls car doc,wat atf should I use for my golf 3 1996 model.,my mechanic recommend sea horse dexron 3D. also the best coolant should I be using.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 11, 2013
car-doctor:

If your galaxy is a 1995-2000 model then all you need is a good quality Dexron 3 and Seahorse is ok.

As for the coolant, there's quite a few good ones in the market. Just look out for authenticity.

Car-Doctor.

Thanks Doc,

I owe you one bottle of Alomo grin
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Jazzlite: 9:39pm On Sep 11, 2013
WEY UR BEETLE?
Kamanda:

Thanks Doc,

I owe you one bottle of Alomo grin
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kenmaro: 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2013
visitor30: ^^^^
Thanks Car-doctor! I have told him to go look for Nissan gear transmission oil, though he said there is no difference in using the Abbro or Sea Horse........that it is just from different manufactures..........that all those so called big names and what the manuals of most vehicle says ain't applicable here in Nigeria, sine we have a different weather condition. I left him and said after all it is vehicle and his money!

A quick one, what will be responsible for the delay/slow shift in auto gear of a Honda CR-V 98 model. Just change the gear oil using the "Castrol Import multi-vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). I attached the product data sheet for your advise!"

@ visitor30; Please, where did you buy the castrol ATF from? I need it too. You could send me the contact via sms to 08023643565. thanks!
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by visitor30(m): 11:33pm On Sep 11, 2013
double post
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by visitor30(m): 11:35pm On Sep 11, 2013

Please Car-doctor, what is you take on the bold portion of my initial post above. Thanks!
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by visitor30(m): 11:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
kenmaro:

@ visitor30; Please, where did you buy the castrol ATF from? I need it too. You could send me the contact via sms to 08023643565. thanks!

@Kenmaro,
The Castrol ATF was sold to me by a colleague of mine..........It was the last batch of their supply for their Honda Baby Boy(Accord) before it was sold off. They normally import their vehicle parts directly form the US. Currently he only brings in Toyota products directly from the US.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by rebirthto: 2:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
pls can i use oando transmission fluid for my 2000/2001 toyota highlander?.thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by roosebolton: 4:31am On Sep 14, 2013
kenmaro:

Ken, I have been trying to get in touch with u for some time now. Also a fellow mazda user (mazda 3 2005 2.3L) we pretty much have similar concerns and issues. Where you able to get a reliable M-V compatible atf? I found one called pureguard global atf (yeah the name is super cheesy) checking the data sheet says it's compatible with Mazda M-V. However I have been unable to read more about the fluid though it is made in the USA I can't find any thing (recommendation or nay) from mazda forums.. The good thing though is that it is sold in Nigeria even konga has it for order at 1.5k per litre. You might want to check it out.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:06am On Sep 14, 2013

From my experience, the Honda CRV suffers from this problem a lot especially the firstvgeneration models of the late 90s to early 2000s.

You will mainly notice the late shifting to final drive when you are ascending a hill no matter how slight the slope may be.

It has a lot to do with the design of the transmission by the manufacturer. If in your own case the late shifting is adverse, then you may consider flushing the transmission and changing the transmission fluid to Honda ATF-Z1. That's the ATF that your gearbox should he running on.

I tried opening the data sheet for the castrol and nothing came up.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:12am On Sep 14, 2013
rebirthto: pls can i use oando transmission fluid for my 2000/2001 toyota highlander?.thanks

Use the Toyota type t4.

I really wouldn't advise you to use Oando atf when there is the Toyota type T4 in the market. That's the best oil for your gearbox.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by JaaizTech: 8:40am On Sep 14, 2013
waash:

Hi Doc, own a Honda Accord 2005 DX, 2.4l Engine, A/T. About 4 weeks ago, noticed car was dragging b4 shifting into 4 (around 80km/h). about last week, noticed some noise around driver's side of engine. 3 days ago, lost gear suddenly (car just screaming) so I stopped & shifted to P, shifted back to D and drove home.

Next morning set out for a trip & lost gear close to my house. Took the car to the mechanic & we drained the ATF and replaced with the Conoil ATF. Car seemed ok. Drove 500km next morning to Makurdi. Lost gear several times along the way. Would just shift to neutral, turn car off then on, shift into D and continue. Lost gear more frequently (every time I stepped on the brakes) close to my destination. Got to Makurdi, stopped for about 2 hours and car refused to move afterwards. Gear won't engage, D blinking, ATF smells and has changed colour. Have not done anything, car parked since then. Please advice. Thanks

If your Transmission fluid was already Black or dark brown before changing to the conoil ATF, you may need to get a good mechanic to flush the transmission before replacing it with another ATF. But if it wasn't very dark in color, it may be safe to assume that your transmission doesn't have a lot of sludge in it, so go ahead and replace it with OANDO DEXTRON III, but remember just as a temporary replacement. (This is what Honda suggests; it is inside the manual).

After doing that, ask around for where you can get original Honda ATF z1, if you can't find anyone that sells in Nigeria. order it from Amazon, you can easily use shippyme.com to send it down to Nigeria. It shouldn't cost more than 25k, but remember your car should work almost perfectly with the OANDO DEXTRON III, the only reason you are changing to HONDA ATF Z1, is because Honda used some peculiar materials in their transmission which may wear or eat up with other ATFs. Honda has gone ahead to add some other chemicals the ATF-Z1 to help you with that.

3 Likes

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by JaaizTech: 9:02am On Sep 14, 2013
visitor30: Good Morning Car-doctor,

If I were you what I will do is google it up and see what Nissan suggests. Just like engine oil, ATFs also have ratings. e.g DEXTRON II, DEXTRON III are international ratings, so conoil can make DEXTRON II and A.P can make DEXTRON II; as long as it is DEXTRON II rated that is what is important etc.

And that is what I have done; I have googled it up for you ( http://www.courtesyparts.com/pdf/1998-Nissan-Pathfinder.pdf ). This is what Nissan says quoting from the Nissan pathfinder Manual 1998:

"USE ONLY Nissan Matic D (ContinentalU.S. and Alaska) or Genuine Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid (Canada). DexronTM III/MerconTM or equivalent may also be used. Outside the continental United States and Alaska contact a NISSAN dealer for more information
regarding suitable fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DexronTM III/MerconTM or DexronTM IIE/MerconTM Automatic Transmission
Fluid."

So my verdict will be look for Nissan Matic D or the improved version of it (not likely to find it in Nigerian Market though); otherwise a DEXTRON III rated ATF should do, I think OANDO is the popular choice.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by JaaizTech: 9:08am On Sep 14, 2013
car-doctor:

Use the Toyota type t4.

I really wouldn't advise you to use Oando atf when there is the Toyota type T4 in the market. That's the best oil for your gearbox.

Car-Doctor.

Hi Car-Doctor, kindly advise me: Would you recommend changing the Automatic Transmission Gear Box to a Tokunbo when it fails or do you believe it can be rebuilt to perform almost like a new one. If yes, what option cost most, using Accord 2003 as an example can you give a quote
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by vitality22(m): 4:59pm On Sep 14, 2013
Hello car doc, pls what atf is best for nissan xterra 2001 model?
Pls kindly recommend any good one.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by elektra80: 6:09pm On Sep 14, 2013
JaaizTech:

If your Transmission fluid was already Black or dark brown before changing to the conoil ATF, you may need to get a good mechanic to flush the transmission before replacing it with another ATF. But if it wasn't very dark in color, it may be safe to assume that your transmission doesn't have a lot of sludge in it, so go ahead and replace it with OANDO DEXTRON III, but remember just as a temporary replacement. (This is what Honda suggests; it is inside the manual).

After doing that, ask around for where you can get original Honda ATF z1, if you can't find anyone that sells in Nigeria. order it from Amazon, you can easily use shippyme.com to send it down to Nigeria. It shouldn't cost more than 25k, but remember your car should work almost perfectly with the OANDO DEXTRON III, the only reason you are changing to HONDA ATF Z1, is because Honda used some peculiar materials in their transmission which may wear or eat up with other ATFs. Honda has gone ahead to add some other chemicals the ATF-Z1 to help you with that.

Honda stopped making ATF Z-1 and replaced it with ATF DW-1. The poster might find it difficult to get Z-1 but DW-1 is available in Nigeria and it works well for 2005 Honda accord.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Marpol: 7:10pm On Sep 14, 2013
vitality22: Hello car doc, pls what atf is best for nissan xterra 2001 model?
Pls kindly recommend any good one.

Matic D
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Olisa4all: 8:30am On Sep 15, 2013
hello car-doc
Changed my 03 Toyota Avensis Auto Trans yesterday and got Oando's Dexron III ATF, the car manual said 3.5Liters is what is required but after putting 4Liters and checking the dipstick, it was nowhere near the half way line or full,added 3 more liters and the dipstick indicated Full (after turning on d engine for a few seconds) Turned the car on and it wouldn't reverse, the mechanic alternated between PRND and back to R and then the reverse gear would engage,it would now reverse, putting back in D,it would engage and move forward,then back to R,it wouldn't reverse @all again until you move between all the gears and put it in R. The mechanic wants to scan but I don't think a tokunbo tranny like this should be giving this issue.
Any solution?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by dandollar1: 1:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
Car doctor,
Please wats your opinion on adding additives to honda auto transmission like the lubguard auto transmission fluid protectant?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Marpol: 1:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
dan_dollar: Car doctor,
Please wats your opinion on adding additives to honda auto transmission like the lubguard auto transmission fluid protectant?

If you wish to enjoy your Honda, pls don't add any additive to your trans fluid.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by dandollar1: 1:50pm On Sep 16, 2013
Car doctor,
Please wats your opinion on adding additives to honda auto transmission like the lubguard auto transmission fluid protectant? Any adverse effect?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by JaaizTech: 4:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
Olisa4all: hello car-doc
Changed my 03 Toyota Avensis Auto Trans yesterday and got Oando's Dexron III ATF, the car manual said 3.5Liters is what is required but after putting 4Liters and checking the dipstick, it was nowhere near the half way line or full,added 3 more liters and the dipstick indicated Full (after turning on d engine for a few seconds) Turned the car on and it wouldn't reverse, the mechanic alternated between PRND and back to R and then the reverse gear would engage,it would now reverse, putting back in D,it would engage and move forward,then back to R,it wouldn't reverse @all again until you move between all the gears and put it in R. The mechanic wants to scan but I don't think a tokunbo tranny like this should be giving this issue.
Any solution?
I find it shocking that you used about 7 litres instead of 3 litres. Was the transmission giving problems before the oil change?? would advise you read the car manual on how to check the Transmission oil level. Too much transmission oil can mess things up as well.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Olisa4all: 5:48pm On Sep 17, 2013
JaaizTech:
I find it shocking that you used about 7 litres instead of 3 litres. Was the transmission giving problems before the oil change?? would advise you read the car manual on how to check the Transmission oil level. Too much transmission oil can mess things up as well.

new transmission had just been put in,not a drop of ATF was in it...

Quick one,can "ABS pump" in any way prevent the car from reversing? The avensis uses a manumatic transmission by the way
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by visitor30(m): 4:11pm On Sep 23, 2013
JaaizTech:

If I were you what I will do is google it up and see what Nissan suggests. Just like engine oil, ATFs also have ratings. e.g DEXTRON II, DEXTRON III are international ratings, so conoil can make DEXTRON II and A.P can make DEXTRON II; as long as it is DEXTRON II rated that is what is important etc.

And that is what I have done; I have googled it up for you ( http://www.courtesyparts.com/pdf/1998-Nissan-Pathfinder.pdf ). This is what Nissan says quoting from the Nissan pathfinder Manual 1998:

"USE ONLY Nissan Matic D (ContinentalU.S. and Alaska) or Genuine Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid (Canada). DexronTM III/MerconTM or equivalent may also be used. Outside the continental United States and Alaska contact a NISSAN dealer for more information
regarding suitable fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DexronTM III/MerconTM or DexronTM IIE/MerconTM Automatic Transmission
Fluid."

So my verdict will be look for Nissan Matic D or the improved version of it (not likely to find it in Nigerian Market though); otherwise a DEXTRON III rated ATF should do, I think OANDO is the popular choice.

@JaaizTech, Thanks for the info.
It was actually a colleague of mine who didn't want to listen to what I was trying to tell him about ensuring he uses the right atf meant for his Nissan Pathfinder 4998 model. Not asked him if he has gone ahead with the Abbro atf.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by visitor30(m): 4:15pm On Sep 23, 2013
car-doctor:

I tried opening the data sheet for the castrol and nothing came up.

I would have posted the data sheet here, but wouldn't want to incur the moderator's whip! But I was able to open it from my phone. Initial post was done using my laptop computer. download it and open with Adobe pdf reader.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
visitor30:

I would have posted the data sheet here, but wouldn't want to incur the moderator's whip! But I was able to open it from my phone. Initial post was done using my laptop computer. download it and open with Adobe pdf reader.

Noted.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ceetee: 1:32pm On Sep 24, 2013
car-doctor:

Noted.
Hi. Pls I'm a novice my avalon ATF guage is on minimum &requires genuine toyota ws atf . Where can I get it or its equivalent(total or Mobil) in Abuja. Do u reccommend Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
It is advisable to top-up with a different brand or do a complete flush? Never changed the ATF before . Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.