Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,754 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents (10844 Views)

110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways / Nigeria Power Rates To Rise Up To 88% / What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Bsmartt(m): 10:31am On Jul 19, 2013
i am very pleased with our various comment on this topic.i totally disagree with the use of earpiece while on the road as well as skating without the use of protective gadgets while on the highway.May GOD continue to guide and guard us.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by wonlasewonimi: 10:45am On Jul 19, 2013
The earpiece designers didn't put developing countries into consideration when producing these headphones. When you have Beats by Dr. Dre plugged in your ears it's akin to being in a night club, you are shut off from the real world. Quite dangerous in places like Nigeria where there traffic laws and mode of transportation are below par.

A word is enough for the wise...only wear headphones when you are indoors!

4 Likes

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by remmyton(f): 11:13am On Jul 19, 2013
I am guilty of ds too

So NL stl hv sm well reasonin ppl like D OP, @ OP, nice observation
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by 9jawikileaks(m): 11:14am On Jul 19, 2013
Well honestly speaking I am a hostage to diz same act... Always loves em earpiece max wen am working on a road, psycologically it reduces the time u spend walking.. Well recntly I observed d negative aspect of it, ike less concentration and ability to not get alert, so I have started pushiing away the habit.. Thnx 2 d persn dat posted dz tho,

1 Like

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by gbadexy(m): 11:19am On Jul 19, 2013
As I am reading the various comments, I feel so much joy that it at least touched some people that were fond of this habit.
I think its best to be totally alert. It still isn't good enough to slow down the music as that may even be worse because you may be straining to hear the low music properly thereby causing distractions.

1 Like

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 19, 2013
Yesterday,it was a topic for discussion in the canteen where i work.A lady is fund of pinging with her BB while eating at the same time.I was driving home one day and i saw a guy with earphone and BB walking infront of me.I blew the horn to make him leave the road more than 3times.I have to drive with avery low speed and pushed him with my car .you could imagine the kind of shock he had.The question i asked was that,if he knows where they sell spare leg he said no.He started applogizing for doing the wrong thing on the road.Another girl was pinging on getting close to gutter she never knew besause of pinging ,she fell into the gutter using her fore head to hit the edge of gutter,blood was seen gushing out like fountain.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by nmaihat: 11:27am On Jul 19, 2013
I saw a BRT hooting years ago n a young chap who was crossing the BRT lane n had earpiece on didn't hear horn pressed or the shouts of people to hasten up until he was pushed. Thank God the BRT wasn't speeding. My dear that skating on d high way is another matter altogether, u'll find youngsters who would skate from Ikeja to national stadium Surulere (along ikorodu road). At times u find holding unto speeding buses to speed up their movement. I wonder y they can't b stopped by traffic officials like LASTMA (at least they're almost everywhere in Lag) and given a good whipping to bring back to normal. They will wait for a tragedy to occur 1st before they are jerked into action.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Okijajuju1(m): 11:31am On Jul 19, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by AZeD1(m): 11:45am On Jul 19, 2013
I use my earpiece all the time but I'm very conscious when I want to cross the road.
I do the look left, look right and left again routine before I cross any road.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Nomski0(f): 11:50am On Jul 19, 2013
Kinda guilty of this earpiece stuff but hope to change.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by orjifavour(f): 11:51am On Jul 19, 2013
Jenams: @op, tnx, dis ur write is talkin to me.
learn now ooo
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by DICKtator: 11:53am On Jul 19, 2013
Okija_juju:
lemme guess, he was listening to Mariah Carey's "touch my body"?
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Jakumo(m): 12:10pm On Jul 19, 2013
gbadexy: I don't know if this is the proper section to post this but I feel I need to draw attention to this trend.
While on •̸Ϟ•̸y way back home this evening along ikorodu expressway, I witnessed an accident involving a car hitting a young boy around the obanikoro area.
The car hit the young guy with such force that he landed on a car on the other lane, damaging its windscreen and denting its body badly. That was even after the car that hit him applied a substantial amount of brake with loud screeching noise.
All cars stopped and the lady whose car the boy laned on came out with her driver and started making frantic move to get help while the boy lay on the road with blood trickling from his mouth.
When the brt bus I was in passed the scene through its dedicated lane, it was observed by the passenger in the bus that he had earpiece on his ear. I really don't know if he relied on hearing to cross the highway or maybe he was distracted by the music.
I've heard several similar incidence like a middle aged woman that killed a corper whom she claimed walked onto her lane while wearing earpiece, and a man that walked into a train track!
A similar incidence happened on a street near •̸Ϟ•̸y paint factory where a young boy walked into a robbery scene while listening to music on earpiece despite several cries to warn him and he was hit in the chest by bullet.
It really baffles ♍ƺ why anybody would deliberately shut an important sense off while walking on a public road where one needs all the senses intact to hear warnings and be alert.
I really hope this thread would get across to a significant number of youths and I want attention to be drawn to these ugly treand and sensitization and enlightenment should be carried out by media outfits warning the youths on the danger of listening to music while walking on the road and even perhaps about the use of skates on high way.
Majority of the people fond of this habits are teenagers that like following trends without knowing the consequence of their actions and it could easily be anybody's kid or sibling that could happen to again.
I hope this thread gets to the desired targets and I would want people to create BB broadcasts of their own to raise awareness on it or post warnings and awareness through other social media channels too.

No question about it, Gbadexy. Your note of warning above will save lives, and remind people to stay ALERT AND ALIVE, by keeping their ears FREE to monitor their immediate surroundings. Just as tragically, a case of this nature took place barely a month ago in the UK, where an 11-year old girl, lost in the music playing through the headphones of her Ipod music box, walked into the path of a truck that she did not hear at an intersection, and was instantly killed.

Open your eyes, in the city, and open your EARS as well. Don't let Charles Darwin eliminate you from the gene pool, due to your own slavish adherence to fickle fashion items. Dead bodies do NOT look stylish, even if they are wearing headphones connected to the very latest of personal stereos.

1 Like

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 19, 2013
Okija_juju:

LMAO grin
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by creamie(f): 12:34pm On Jul 19, 2013
So sad. This is how a colleague lost his life not too far from my sch's main gate, just few days to our matriculation. God help us all.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by uceee(m): 12:36pm On Jul 19, 2013
The ears also help to balance us. Constantly plugging headphones or ear pieces into your ears will reduce your balance and hearing range over time. I am trying to minimise my use of ear pieces as much as possible by playing my music on loudspeakers whenever it won't disturb others.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by mjames: 12:42pm On Jul 19, 2013
2map: I have to pass this on to my friends.

Your family and your enemies.

1 Like

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by spartanian(m): 12:51pm On Jul 19, 2013
I am guilty
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by HezronLorraine(m): 12:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
Am guilty of this.its more like an addiction.I wear earphones everywhere I go despite knowing the dangers attached to it.I still don't listen.
Reading this,now,I vow to stop.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by bolakale30(m): 1:12pm On Jul 19, 2013
I was almost hit by a moving train close to Oshodi under bridge; I was walking on the train tracks, my case was sooo pathetic that despite the vibration of Train combined with the deafening shouts of the onlookers ! I no hear anything..." Roman's Revenge remix" (nicki Minaj and Eminem) na Im dey play 4 my ears... The train was only meters away 4rm me b4 I realized what's up... Na that day I chop like 5 slaps without being able to say anything... All these old mama and papa just dey donate me slap, come spoil my Beats dr Dre's headphones... Never will I do that again

1 Like

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by An0nimus: 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2013
9jawikileaks: Well honestly speaking I am a hostage to diz same act... Always loves em earpiece max wen am working on a road, psycologically it reduces the time u spend walking.. Well recntly I observed d negative aspect of it, ike less concentration and ability to not get alert, so I have started pushiing away the habit.. Thnx 2 d persn dat posted dz tho,
no be small hostage situation lol
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by KayDee4: 1:30pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nice !!

Not just pedestrians, it applies to motorists too.

Some people drive with their ears plugged and it's equally dangerous because you need to be fully aware of your surroundings when you're driving.

How will you hear a trailer with failed brakes behind you honking for you to get outta the way ?

*my 2 rupees*
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Stonekay(m): 2:01pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nairalanders! Pls any idea to get my post immediately initiated for people to view and share their opinions....Any help?
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by nestaAK(m): 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2013
Good wake up call...
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by nikkyshyne(f): 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2013
I started with this shyt only recently.
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Meenoti: 3:09pm On Jul 19, 2013
Mr McJay: Life expectancy in Nigeria is 39 years. If you use earpiece and you are pinging, omo your life remain 1 bar o! Do not ping with a BB on the street and put earpiece in your ears except you have written your will.

As to the MODs, 'they' won't put it on the fp now. If it is Tonto Dike posing with weed, it will make fp quickly or if it is another copy and paste from Psquare, they'll put it there. I don't understand why these mods promote intellectual barreness over common sense.

Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Hanihairy(m): 9:44pm On Jul 19, 2013
Yeah....i guess am guilty of dat,buf i haven't had experience of dis sort...i bera quit nw b4 i av ma own experience in hell cos i knw heaven isn't sure just yet!!
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by daniwealth(m): 9:52pm On Jul 19, 2013
[color=#000099][/color] hmmmmmm!u guys are referin 2 me
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by jmaine: 9:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
This thread tight die . . .

Oga OP, your info na concre i.e E solid wella . . .
Re: Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents by Nymphnode(m): 1:55am On Jul 20, 2013
Had anybody tried those 200 naira rubber padded earplugs by Control or Fill? With those ones u would conveniently live in a 500 kva lister generator house with no qualms,save the heat.
I have escaped been hit by okada a time or two while listening to the FM. Interesting topic on the 'table of men'. I would have broken a bone while laughing. And I have to stop pinging while walking too. I wonder who I dey chat with that is that important sef.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Council On Foreign Relations Honors Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For Shaping The World / See The Combination That Shall Send Buhari Back To Daura- Pictures / Nigeria Spent ₦1.85 Trillion On Food Import During Border Closure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.