Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? (8458 Views)

A Kind Nairalander Deposited 2000k To My Account For D Fake 1k I Received Pics / Will You Return His Phone After Receiving A 2k Bribe From You? / What Was The Worst Punishment Ever Given To You In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 20, 2013
Bribery and extortion are two different things. I have been extorted but i have never given or received a bribe.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by ogb5(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2013
I was extorted several times by nigeria police at gun point.
Never willingly gave any bribe. I dont take bribe willingly, just that some girls find a way of bribing me with what they have in,exchange for my money
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Pennywise(m): 5:49pm On Jul 20, 2013
I run a business where my professional judgement is of some value. Yes, sometimes people try to influence that judgement. So far, no one has succeeded probably bc offers have not been good enough (certainly not bc I am a saint).

However, I give bribe (kola, inducement, call it what you may) as a matter of course. It may be considered arrogant when it is expected of you and u refuse to do 'the right thing'. I generally like to 'respect my self'. The financial cost to me has already been passed on to my client anyway. This is not a good time to be a hero in Nigeria. I try to make my kid brother understand this whenever he is home on vacation from the UK.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Cupidkc(m): 5:53pm On Jul 20, 2013
I believe that every Nigerian who have come of age must have in one way or another given bride. Its almost inevitable in our society,and the surest way to get things done.
Well,my answer to the OP is yes...dts all.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Sanboy25: 5:55pm On Jul 20, 2013
I'd like to receive one... embarassed
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by emmanuel4758(m): 6:00pm On Jul 20, 2013
stil tinkin ....loadin .loadin no network coverage .....
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by omartins(m): 6:02pm On Jul 20, 2013
To get clearance in school for my result. I give. Even as a sales rep now. Though we call it GIFT. *wink*
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Nomski0(f): 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
Sanboy25: I'd like to receive one... embarassed

:\
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by chessguru1(m): 6:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
Most of what people are saying here aren't really bribes, and is pretty common in other parts of the of the world.
How many oyinbo movies have we watched that a man who wants information from say a non cooperative bar tender will flash him some dollar notes to get his attention.
Or may be a guy is trying to get information from a receptionist, and he tips her excessively J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ to be on her right side.
Its the big bribes that we should be mentioning here.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by kbabajide(m): 6:37pm On Jul 20, 2013
yeah both
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Phonon: 6:59pm On Jul 20, 2013
I have not received bribes before however certain situations had required me to pay a 'facilitation fee' to get out of difficult situations. grin
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Pennywise(m): 7:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
chess guru: Most of what people are saying here aren't really bribes, and is pretty common in other parts of the of the world.
How many oyinbo movies have we watched that a man who wants information from say a non cooperative bar tender will flash him some dollar notes to get his attention.
Or may be a guy is trying to get information from a receptionist, and he tips her excessively J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ to be on her right side.
Its the big bribes that we should be mentioning here.

Bribe has neither big nor small to it. The corporal who insist on delaying you unnecessarily on the road because of N200 will demand for 100mil if he was priviledged to occupy a certain position in customs. Its all about the criminal sale of priviledge and not the amount that changed hand.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by nenergy(m): 7:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
This question is strong (èlèyí gìdí gàn). I recently read an article online that talked about the police being able to arrest and prosecute people based on their online comments. So i'm sorry OP, I HAVE NEVER GIVEN OR RECIEVED A BRIBE O!
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Vanityupnvanity(m): 7:26pm On Jul 20, 2013
I‘ve given out bribe so many times, but have never collected.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by dolphinife: 7:30pm On Jul 20, 2013
What will you called the set of people who are in the habbit of tipping their pastors for special prayers? Is it right to call it a gift or a bribe?

As for me, I always bribe my dad a lot so dat I can get plenty things from him. Whenever I bought bottle of groundnut, singlets, boxers, nice shoes and sandals, wrist watches, etc, I always expect him to triple my money when going back to school
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by oubi: 7:30pm On Jul 20, 2013
[size=14pt] yes o!! I used to give my meat to my sister so she no go report popsi say I commot go play ball..[/size]
Abi dis one no follow..
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by charlsecy4(m): 7:41pm On Jul 20, 2013
Roland17:
Gaining admission and graduating from tertiary institutions in Nigeria is virtually impossible without any sort of giving or receiving bribes.

With all my strength, this is not true!
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by seegobe(m): 7:55pm On Jul 20, 2013
i don give plentyyyy
Roland17: Simple question: Have you ever given or received bribe irrespective of the situation or condition

Personally, i have given bribes, if i do not remember any, the "Egunje" i gave to those "Korofo's" while i was home makes me guilty, i also remember giving bribe to gate men in the past just to gain entrance to submit my resume which i feel eventually ended up in the trash.

Infact the scenarios are numerous and sometimes they are inevitable, i kind of just concluded its a norm to receive or give bribe in our dear country.

Gaining admission and graduating from tertiary institutions in Nigeria is virtually impossible without any sort of giving or receiving bribes.

The motive of this thread is not to cast aspersions or castigate members based on responses.

Lets share experiences.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Freiburger(m): 7:58pm On Jul 20, 2013
Cupidkc: I believe that every Nigerian who have come of age must have in one way or another given bride. Its almost inevitable in our society,and the surest way to get things done.
You 're right, people are so used to giving and taking bribe that they are finding it difficult to dinstinguish between a currupt way of living from a normal way..
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Roland17(m): 8:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
I guess living in Nigeria makes it inevitable
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by LausDeo(m): 8:24pm On Jul 20, 2013
I have given a bribe before but I don't remember ever taking one.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by ATMCARD2(m): 8:30pm On Jul 20, 2013
ayobase: A rhetorical question....but some wouldn't call it 'bribe' but 'gift'
Apprctn.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 20, 2013
I've given..
Money talks lol..
But I've never received one
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by stonemind(f): 9:20pm On Jul 20, 2013
i no dey GIVE but i dey COLLECT......
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by stonemind(f): 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2013
oubi: [size=14pt] yes o!! I used to give my meat to my sister so she no go report popsi say I commot go play ball..[/size]
Abi dis one no follow..
.did you mean uur meat/flesh
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Andrew3(m): 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2013
I bribed my way out of a long Que at MMIA when I came for vacation.
Am sorry, It was the work of the devil.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by stonemind(f): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2013
nadia_SA: I've given..
Money talks lol..
But I've never received one
in S.A??
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by stonemind(f): 9:26pm On Jul 20, 2013
::Andrew:::
I bribed my way out of a long Que at MMIA when I came for vacation.
Am sorry, It was the work of the devil.
lolz....... badOOoo
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Truckpusher(m): 9:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
Why won't you give bribes when you hardly know your rights and even when you know your rights you're likely to be shot and labelled a criminal for frustrating their effort in extorting you.

Why won't people pay bribes when job opportunities are limited and difficult to get whilst some people are selling them like mangoes in the market.

Why won't people pay bribes when the society worships money bags irrespective of how they became rich overnight.

Why won't people pay bribes when parents are going abt making too many children they can cater for and these children ends up with low standard education which has nothing to contribute and compete favorably and positively wherever they find themselves in the labor market.

Why won't Nigerians pay bribes when they swallow everything they tell them in the church and mosques hook,line and sinker without asking obvious questions.

Why won't Nigerians pay and collect bribes when all their lives all they've known is the thirst for wants and the best things of life that they'll never get in their lives.

Why won't Nigerians pay bribes when they treat their women as properties yet they expect their children to be better people.

Yes,we all pay bribes and we all take bribes and very soon this disease called bribery will consume us as a nation.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Godson201333(m): 9:30pm On Jul 20, 2013
Yes oo I have given bribes to NPF,NIS and so on...
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 20, 2013
i collected mine in an examination hall and i couldn't turn it down considering the manner it happened
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Received Bribe? by supereagle(m): 9:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
Differentiate btw TIPS and BRIBE.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

. / Rhodalyn, Efani, Diddy And Da Other Insecure Teenagers / How Do You Manage Anger?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.