Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,912 members, 7,824,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship (831 Views)

The Nigeria Secret Cult Renunciation Program. / Story Of Shina Rambo - The Most Notorious Armed Robber In Nigerian History / Asari Dokubo Adopts Benin Republic, Dumps Nigerian Citizenship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship by JW214: 6:39am On Jul 20, 2013
I have read news about the constitution amendment going on on the floor of the Senate and the issue arising. I have taken time to read through the Nigerian constitution and seems to be confused. Please I want the Lawyers in the house or those who understand this better to enlighten me.

The Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigerian Section 29 states;
(1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(2) The President shall cause the declaration made under subsection (1) of this section to be registered and upon such registration, the person who made the declaration shall cease to be a citizen of Nigeria.

(3) The President may withhold the registration of any declaration made under subsection (1) of this section if-

(a) the declaration is made during any war in which Nigeria is physically involved; or

(b) in his opinion, it is otherwise contrary to public policy.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

The subsection 4 (a & b)has raised an issue.

Please how does renunciation of Citizenship relates with Early marriage of female child or "Paedophile" as been speculated by the media, because from my understanding on this section of the constitution, it is just giving conditions about renunciation of Nigerian citizenship.

I want those who understand this better to break it down please.

Thank you

For reference purpose, check the Nigerian constitution here: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm
Re: Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship by Ojotayo1(m): 6:59am On Jul 20, 2013
(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age..........

this is the controversial item which made indirect provision for underage marriage in Nigeria.... the provision implies that marriage especially under the age of 18 qualifies a girl as an adult...

correct me if i'm right .
Re: Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 20, 2013
The way the constitution is written a particular law doesn't have it own chapter rather its in sections e.g chapter 1 section 4 of the constitution says that stupidity is prohibited that same chapter 1 section 5 may talk about food or any other thing that isn't related to the previous section undecided
Are you dark-skinned angry
Re: Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship by JW214: 7:34am On Jul 20, 2013
spongeback: The way the constitution is written a particular law doesn't have it own chapter rather its in sections e.g chapter 1 section 4 of the constitution says that stupidity is prohibited that same chapter 1 section 5 may talk about food or any other thing that isn't related to the previous section undecided
Are you dark-skinned angry

Thank you for the correction, from my source, the constitution was partitioned in chapters, that was my reason of stating it like that.

You don't need to insult me because I seek to learn more from those who know better than I do in this aspect........(I know you are not part of them thou)
Re: Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship by JW214: 8:28am On Jul 20, 2013
While trying to get answer to the already raised question, I found this information helpful. For those who want to know more, you can check the link below:
http://www.ojudubabafemi.com/constitution_ammendments_child_rights_and_the_social_media_debate-the_facts.php#.UefxXDGNeLU.twitter

I won't be able to post it here because of the graphic content of the website.

So thread closed.

Thank you
Re: Early Marriage, Craddle-robber Or Renunciation Of Citizenship by Scarpon(m): 8:35am On Jul 20, 2013
if police slap u. u go forget say.u get right law constution my a$$

(1) (Reply)

Destitiute Picked Up At Marina Lagos This Morning / Ali Odefa Blasts Fashola Over Deportation Of Ndigbo / Eliozu Road P H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.