Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,489 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

I Prefer Prison To Home An Inmate Lamented -sylvester Obata - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Prefer Prison To Home An Inmate Lamented -sylvester Obata (588 Views)

Charles Okah's Daughter Tarila To Wed, Visits Dad In Prison To Seek Blessing / Siege To Dasuki’s Home An Act Of Lawlessness – Court / Presidency Probes Death Of Tortured Inmate Over Patience Jonathan’s $3m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Prefer Prison To Home An Inmate Lamented -sylvester Obata by lovelymind(m): 1:02pm On Jul 21, 2013
It was a pathetic drama in the Owerri High Court premises Friday morning when an inmate who is believed to have awaited trial in prison for upwards of seven years was acquitted of any wrong doing and discharged by an Owerri Magistrate Court.

Instead of the usual jubilation that follow any ruling of ‘discharged and acquitted’, crimefacts.org gathered that the said inmate, Sylvester Obata (not real names); wearing a long face, headed straight for the Prison van that brought them to court, only to be intercepted by a prison guard who reminded him he was free to go home.

To the chagrin of eyewitnesses, Obata said he was going nowhere demanding to be allowed entry into the Prison Van back to prison.

The prison guard who mistook Obata’s statement for a weird joke was jolted when he tried to push him away from the prison van and was defiantly resisted by the freed inmate.

What seemed like a mild drama turned nearly absurd when the calm of the court premises was shattered by Obata’s shouts and pleas to be allowed to go back to prison and he thrashed about and struggled with several prison officials who wanted him out of the court and on his way home.

According to eyewitnesses who spoke to crimefacts.org, it took the effort of over six prison officials,court workers and policemen to get the freed inmate out of the court premises. Obata who refused to budge even in the face of threats of brutality by security men, had to be dragged on the floor while he raised hell in the court premises.

Outside the prison, Obata sustained his raving, telling whoever cared to listen why he should be allowed to remain in jail. According to him, setting him free was no big deal, but his plight outside prison is what the court should have also considered.

Said he, “I have no place to go or anybody to go to. I have no job or business.I want to go back to prison where I can at least be sure to eat something everyday.”

The evidently apprehensive former prison inmate, demanded to see the Chief Judge of the state to plead his case himself and explain to him why it was better to keep him in prison than outside prison.

Slightly after mid-day, when crimefacts.org news sources went to check the outcome of the agitation of the former inmate, nobody seemed to know what became of him and his demands to be taken back to jail or to the state Chief Judge.

"I will build a school that is better than home so that school children will have no reason to go back home"-Rochas Okorocha
On the other hand, i think he has built a prison that is better than home that is why the inmate don't want to go home. Or what do you think

http://crimefacts.org/drama-in-court-as-freed-prison-inmate-refuses-to-go-says-he-prefers-prison-where-he-can-at-least-feed-daily/
Re: I Prefer Prison To Home An Inmate Lamented -sylvester Obata by billante(m): 2:10pm On Jul 21, 2013
If this story is actually true,then the dude is getting it wrong, if he really wants to go back to jail he should just jejeli go commit another crime as he is leaving the court premises and they will gladly haul him back to jail.
Re: I Prefer Prison To Home An Inmate Lamented -sylvester Obata by lovelymind(m): 3:32pm On Jul 21, 2013
He will remain an inmate cos he will soon commit another crime
Re: I Prefer Prison To Home An Inmate Lamented -sylvester Obata by VoteOutPDPJona: 9:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
Said he, “I have no place to go or anybody to go to. I have no job or business.I want to go back to prison where I can at least be sure to eat something everyday.”

The evidently apprehensive former prison inmate, demanded to see the Chief Judge of the state to plead his case himself and explain to him why it was better to keep him in prison than outside prison.

Slightly after mid-day, when crimefacts.org news sources went to check the outcome of the agitation of the former inmate, nobody seemed to know what became of him and his demands to be taken back to jail or to the state Chief Judge.

"I will build a school that is better than home so that school children will have no reason to go back home"-Rochas Okorocha
On the other hand, i think he has built a prison that is better than home that is why the inmate don't want to go home. Or what do you think huh huh huh

This is what I think. The 'poor' man spent five years in jail before Rochas Okorocha became Imo state governor.
It was a pathetic drama in the Owerri High Court premises Friday morning when an inmate who is believed to have awaited trial in prison for upwards of seven years was acquitted of any wrong doing and discharged by an Owerri Magistrate Court.
According to you, Rochas built schools, not prisons.
What you think is wrong?

(1) (Reply)

For Jonathan, Amaechi, The Road Is Lonely / 34 Senators Have Sponsored No Bills In Two Years, View List / James Ibori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.