Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,054 members, 7,814,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure (29619 Views)

12 FOODS THAT INCREASE YOUR SPERM COUNT- PICTURES / 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage / 10 Foods That Increase Sperm Count (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2013
You cook with too much salt:

Excess sodium causes your body to retain more fluid, increasing blood volume. Your heart then has to work harder to move more blood through the vessels, which raises pressure in your arteries. "Too much salt intake is by far the number one cause of hypertension," says Shlofmitz.

Shake the salt out of your diet by eating fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh meat instead of processed and cured, and looking for low-sodium on packaged food labels.

Excess salt can be found in: Packaged foods like tomato sauce, soups, canned food and prepared mixes

Salt alternatives: Garlic powder, onion powder, lime juice, lemon juice

8 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2013
Your portion size is prodigious:

[img]http://1.bp..com/-g_1dhyvnyp0/T854nN85YyI/AAAAAAAAaOU/ypBOqn2oYhg/s280/0d.jpg[/img]

serving yourself medium to small portion sizes help you recognize your body's "I'm full" cues, plus it's an easy way to cut calories, which can help you lose weight. Extra weight puts extra strain on your heart, which ups your blood pressure, cholesterol, and risk of heart disease. "Getting down to a healthy weight absolutely reduces your risk," says Shlofmitz-and even losing as little as five or 10 pounds makes a difference.

Always serve yourself medium - small portions and eat slowly. The food is not running away now grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 5:17pm On Jul 21, 2013
You drink too much alcohol..shepe, nkwu, schnapps, stout, beer, odeku grin grin grin

Drinking too much alcohol can raise blood pressure to unhealthy levels. Having more than three drinks in one sitting temporarily increases your blood pressure, but repeated binge drinking can lead to long-term increases.
Heavy drinkers who want to lower blood pressure should slowly reduce how much they drink over one to two weeks. Heavy drinkers who stop suddenly risk developing severe high blood pressure for several days.

Alternative: Moderate drinking: Two drinks a day for men younger than age 65
One drink a day for men age 65 and older
One drink a day for women of any age

2 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 5:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
You consume too much stimulants:

The caffeine in kola nut increases systolic and diastolic blood pressure by increasing the resistance in the peripheral veins. Kola nut stimulates the central nervous system and may interfere with sleep by inhibiting the neurotransmitters that trigger reduced brain activity with doses of caffeine higher than 400mg per day. Sleep deprivation increases the chances of having high blood pressure.

Some experts say getting less than six hours of sleep a night may raise your risk of hypertension.

Alternatives: Consume in tiny portions early in the day, avoid consumption in the evening.

3 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 6:23pm On Jul 21, 2013
You use/reuse heated vegetable/cooking oils (Palm oil/ Red oil/ Groud nut oil)

It is important to choose oils such as coconut oil and olive oil, which are be stable enough to resist chemical changes when heated to high temperatures, or you run the risk of damaging your health. One of the ways vegetable oils can inflict damage is by converting your good cholesterol into bad cholesterol—by oxidizing it.

When you cook with polyunsaturated vegetable oils, oxidized cholesterol is introduced into your system. As the oil is heated and mixed with oxygen, it goes rancid. Rancid oil is oxidized oil and should NOT be consumed. it leads directly to vascular disease.

Alternatives: Extra virgin Olive oil, Coconut oil.

4 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 7:17pm On Jul 21, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Nobody: 2:29am On Jul 22, 2013
Thanks for sharing, aniii. Henceforth, I won't be re-using cooking oil.

3 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 11:32am On Jul 22, 2013
You are welcome hun.

And also try to use virgin olive oil or cocnut or grape seed oil.. They are the best cool

3 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by digitite: 12:15pm On Jul 22, 2013
A good read. Thank you for the helpful lively knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by aniiii(f): 12:52pm On Jul 22, 2013
smiley you're welcome.
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 22, 2013

1 Like

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
But I love palm wine tongue

1 Like

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Fazhy: 2:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
Nice work OP.

1 Like

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 22, 2013
I don't do any of this thank God cool
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by donPhill(m): 2:13pm On Jul 22, 2013
Aniiii mama......daluuu, nice post! Quite educative!!....learned alot

1 Like

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Raypawer(m): 2:14pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ok!
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:14pm On Jul 22, 2013
shocked

1 Like

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Linoversace: 2:14pm On Jul 22, 2013
Palm oil,groundnut oil and olive oil i know!
Which one be Virgin oil,Coconut oil and Grape seed oil

Good info!
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by AmiableJay(m): 2:15pm On Jul 22, 2013
Fourth to comment! Yay:-D
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by 9free(m): 2:15pm On Jul 22, 2013
aniiii: You drink too much alcohol..shepe, nkwu, schnapps, stout, beer, odeku grin grin grin

Drinking too much alcohol can raise blood pressure to unhealthy levels. Having more than three drinks in one sitting temporarily increases your blood pressure, but repeated binge drinking can lead to long-term increases.
Heavy drinkers who want to lower blood pressure should slowly reduce how much they drink over one to two weeks. Heavy drinkers who stop suddenly risk developing severe high blood pressure for several days.

Alternative: Moderate drinking: Two drinks a day for men younger than age 65
One drink a day for men age 65 and older
One drink a day for women of any age
The bolded no be for where PLATEAU WOMEN dey. Twelve(12) bottles na dey beginning(appetizer) of the show for them.
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Diidi(f): 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
Its virtually avoiding what has kept us all these years.
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by MakesenseNoni: 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
Am among those liking plenty salt too
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by donPhill(m): 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
adaobi123: But I love palm wine tongue
sure!!....it's medicinal bt nt palm wine abuse
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by samjbo: 2:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
Health is wealth. This is a nice piece.
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by UjSizzle(f): 2:22pm On Jul 22, 2013
Thanks Anii.

Na to dey use fresh oil everytime i wan fry akara...nawaoooo
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by nbright: 2:23pm On Jul 22, 2013
I LOVE salt... Nothing will put me off of it..

1 Like

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Super1759: 2:23pm On Jul 22, 2013
aniiii: You use/reuse heated vegetable/cooking oils (Palm oil/ Red oil/ Groud nut oil)

It is important to choose oils such as coconut oil and olive oil, which are be stable enough to resist chemical changes when heated to high temperatures, or you run the risk of damaging your health. One of the ways vegetable oils can inflict damage is by converting your good cholesterol into bad cholesterol—by oxidizing it.

When you cook with polyunsaturated vegetable oils, oxidized cholesterol is introduced into your system. As the oil is heated and mixed with oxygen, it goes rancid. Rancid oil is oxidized oil and should NOT be consumed. it leads directly to vascular disease.

Alternatives: Extra virgin Olive oil, Coconut oil.

Most families fall for this
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by bobolekepee(m): 2:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
I will stop liking too much salt o... I have learnt now that it is not good for my health... Thanks so much @ op

1 Like

Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Goldenheart(m): 2:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
Nice @ least nothing On coca cola....
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Goldenheart(m): 2:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
Nice...I 'd say
Re: Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
adaobi123: But I love palm wine tongue
me too o. *Gyrating* I love palm wine ooo i no go lie........hehe

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things You Can Relate To If You've Gone For HIV Test Before. / Abdullahi Ibrahim Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (Ex Minister) / Banana, Sexual Superfood To Boost Sperm Count

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.