Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,446 members, 7,823,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos (12700 Views)

PHCN Official Electrocuted On A Pole At Police College In Lagos (Photos) / People In Jos Climb Mast Just To Listen To Buhari During Campaign / Illegal Connection: Man Electrocuted To Death In Ikorodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Allocsoluwatosi(m): 5:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
Don't forget that voltage is a workdone in bringing a charge from infinity to dat poin. But current is the flow of charge in a conductor per unit time, and also it is current that is dissipitated as heat energy wen encounter a body of reasonable amount of resistance I.e the man body. To cap it all a current as small as 0.02A can cause electrocution to death.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by ajaolu(m): 5:11pm On Jul 24, 2013
ZACHIE: Electrocuted to death....see grammar.
wetin else him for electrocute to? coma?
electrocute is plain enough

being electrocuted may refer to being injurd or killed by the passage of electricity through the body of someone, so that expression is still correct because it stated what happened precisely, i.e. not injured, but actually got killed.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by ajaolu(m): 5:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by supaeagles(m): 5:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
ajaolu: how did you calculate it to be 415, i think it should be 240 x 2 = 480
Bros, great question but electrical engineering is crazy oh. You cannot simply multiply the two numerical values for voltages across two lines to determine voltage across the lines. You have consider it as a voltage difference. So even though the two lines are at the same potential (240 volts) they are at different phases (120 degrees diff). So the voltage difference across two live lines is not 240-240 it is instead square root (3) x 240 (voltage of one line to ground - which is zero volts) = 1.73*240 = 415v
source:

1 Like

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Allocsoluwatosi(m): 5:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
supaeagles: oga no oh, static electricity case from a van der graff is different I believe...., though the static voltage is high, it dissipates away rapidly on contact because there isn't sufficient charge. Whereas the high voltage in electricity lines can kill because that voltage level is always maintained (by the generation process) on human contact
Don't forget that voltage is a workdone in bringing a charge from infinity to dat poin. But current is the flow of charge in a conductor per unit time, and also it is current that is dissipitated as heat energy wen encounter a body of reasonable amount of resistance I.e the man body. To cap it all a current as small as 0.02A can cause electrocution to death.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
Even though what the dead man did was wrong, I still blame PHCN for the whole thing! Reason? If on a given street you can clearly see your neigbhour enjoying electricity while you are in darkness just because out of the three phases available only one is having a supply, what do you do, complain to PHCN?
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 24, 2013
Bleep U:

you are Amu

chai my brother see how with a polished english and tone cald ur fellow human being a penis.sum words are just to vulgar to use on anoda.BiKo Maka mgbe ozo
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by ajaolu(m): 5:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
supaeagles: Bros, great question but electrical engineering is crazy oh. You cannot simply multiply the two numerical values for voltages across two lines to determine voltage across the lines. You have consider it as a voltage difference. So even though the two lines are at the same potential (240 volts) they are at different phases (120 degrees diff). So the voltage difference across two live lines is not 240-240 it is instead square root (3) x 240 (voltage of one line to ground - which is zero volts) = 1.73*240 = 415v
source:

thanks so much for the prompt answer, i am so much passionate about that field (plus electronics) but anyway, i am still doing good in surveying and geoinformatics. I will appreciate it if i could get some educational materials on the elementary foundations of elect. Engr.

1 Like

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by supaeagles(m): 5:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
Allocsoluwatosi: Don't forget that voltage is a workdone in bringing a charge from infinity to dat poin. But current is the flow of charge in a conductor per unit time, and also it is current that is dissipitated as heat energy wen encounter a body of reasonable amount of resistance I.e the man body. To cap it all a current as small as 0.02A can cause electrocution to death.
Good point but you cannot look at current in isolation. You also have to consider voltage - or more accurately voltage difference or potential difference. A voltage difference is what gives rise to current flow in the first place else you will not have current flow to begin with. So when you say that 0.02Amps can kill a person that is not necessarily accurate. At what voltage is that current being generated should be the question? As an example, your mobile phone charger even outputs higher current about 0.5 to 1 amps yet that does not kill or even shock you on contact because it is at only only about 5 volts maximum. Transmission lines on the other hand have very high voltages (11 kilo volts and much higher) and that is done by design to ensure low energy losses on the transmission path :- the conductor lines. Energy loss is = square of current * resistance linky. Hence, current is made very small (via transformers) to reduce these losses.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 24, 2013
Oya make I do small I.T.K cool.

I think the headline should read: "Man Electrocuted" (kpom). Electrocution na say you don die finish be that.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by supaeagles(m): 5:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
ajaolu: thanks so much for the prompt answer, i am so much passionate about that field (plus electronics) but anyway, i am still doing good in surveying and geoinformatics. I will appreciate it if i could get some educational materials on the elementary foundations of elect. Engr.
surely bro, I will surely gather some good fundamental EE stuff and hook you up by PMing it to you.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Remii(m): 5:33pm On Jul 24, 2013
[/b][b][b][/b]
ajaolu:

being electrocuted may refer to being injurd or killed by the passage of electricity through the body of someone, so that expression is still correct because it stated what happened precisely, i.e. not injured, but actually got killed.

take correction my guy, no need to try twist
Electrocution is death caused by electric shock, either accidental or deliberate. The word is derived from "electro" and "execution", but it is also used for accidental death.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Brightwesley: 5:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
Wish it had happened in owerri, i would hav loved it.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Zonacom(m): 6:03pm On Jul 24, 2013
Don Demu: Wetin igbo man no fit do cos of money? Na d N200 wey this man go give electrician don go make am die so. RIP
4 letters; F.O.O.L

1 Like

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
Brightwesley: Wish it had happened in owerri, i would hav loved it.
It happened in Jos but it was still an igbo man that got killed. Somebody shout Halleluyah grin grin
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by zibi2(m): 6:38pm On Jul 24, 2013
R.I.P a very sad one.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Allocsoluwatosi(m): 6:40pm On Jul 24, 2013
supaeagles: Good point but you cannot look at current in isolation. You also have to consider voltage - or more accurately voltage difference or potential difference. A voltage difference is what gives rise to current flow in the first place else you will not have current flow to begin with. So when you say that 0.02Amps can kill a person that is not necessarily accurate. At what voltage is that current being generated should be the question? As an example, your mobile phone charger even outputs higher current about 0.5 to 1 amps yet that does not kill or even shock you on contact because it is at only only about 5 volts maximum. Transmission lines on the other hand have very high voltages (11 kilo volts and much higher) and that is done by design to ensure low energy losses on the transmission path :- the conductor lines. Energy loss is = square of current * resistance linky. Hence, current is made very small (via transformers) to reduce these losses.
nice, current as a result of voltage difference

1 Like

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Ikechukwuiyke: 6:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
Rip
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Phillfree(m): 6:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
Rest In Peace bro
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 24, 2013
ajaolu:

@M. Àja
Electrocution is death caused by
Electric shock, either accidental or
deliberate
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 24, 2013
Don Demu: Wetin igbo man no fit do cos of money? Na d N200 wey this man go give electrician don go make am die so. RIP
wetin ur papa no fit do for money?,na because e no wan pay bride price he thief ur mama come impr,egnate her she come born mumu like u

2 Likes

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by MissFame(f): 8:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
[quote author=Don Demu]Wetin igbo man no fit do cos of money? Na d N200 wey this man go give electrician don go make am die so. RIP.
sad wetin bring tribe 4 dis matter? Stop dat xter wey u dey do abeg, if na u die n person com talk lyk so, u go happy 4 wia u dey? Rest in d Lord's bosom.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 24, 2013
igboezue: wetin ur papa no fit do for money?,na because e no wan pay bride price he thief ur mama come impr,egnate her she come born mumu like u
From their handle you shall know them.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Onyi138: 9:17pm On Jul 24, 2013
R.I.P bro
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by oxygen25: 9:37pm On Jul 24, 2013
Chamber10:

Park well jare. Poor reasoning, any tribe can do it so far say na Naija. Cheap bigot angry
Don't mind the cretin, na dem dey cause online war between tribes, these kids shouldn't be allowed near a computer sef come to talk about internet. Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by ShirelleBaby: 10:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
supaeagles: Bros, great question but electrical engineering is crazy oh. You cannot simply multiply the two numerical values for voltages across two lines to determine voltage across the lines. You have consider it as a voltage difference. So even though the two lines are at the same potential (240 volts) they are at different phases (120 degrees diff). So the voltage difference across two live lines is not 240-240 it is instead square root (3) x 240 (voltage of one line to ground - which is zero volts) = 1.73*240 = 415v
source:

i think say i know maths,till i read this 1:|...1 of the reasons i ran from science class...:>

1 Like

Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by PStacks(m): 10:19pm On Jul 24, 2013
Ehyaa! So sad..

This Power issues in Nigeria..

We don't only suffer power outage but people trying to swap lines nao die...

But wait oooo! The guy na NEPA or PHCN staff? Wetin hin dey find ontop pole..

Rest Easy man!
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 25, 2013
ajaolu:

how did you calculate it to be 415, i think it should be 240 x 2 = 480

The voltage between 2 phases in a 240V supply is 415V. In a three-phase set-up, the phases are 120 degrees apart. It's not calculated by multiplying two or more phases as you've done.

RIP to the deceased brother, another victim of PHCN's poor service.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by adeboolusegun(m): 1:50am On Jul 25, 2013
Waooo... Wot a breaking news. Anyway may gentle and rugged soul rest in peace. Haaaaa I fear electricity die most especially when ma hot plate in Awo Hall OaU spark...na touch to die ooo. RIP!!!
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by Eastcoast33(m): 2:35am On Jul 25, 2013
And I spoke witth d man on Monday he's my family electrician....m Allah I can't believ d whole thing.
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by ajaolu(m): 2:52am On Jul 25, 2013
Remii: [/b][b][b][/b]

take correction my guy, no need to try twist
Electrocution is death caused by electric shock, either accidental or deliberate. The word is derived from "electro" and "execution", but it is also used for accidental death.

okay, I have no interest in much of controversies but you can check the Oxford Dictionary (one of the major dictionaries in the world) here: http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/electrocute
Re: Man Electrocuted To Death In Jos by ajaolu(m): 3:08am On Jul 25, 2013
samnazarit:

@M. Àja
Electrocution is death caused by
Electric shock, either accidental or
deliberate

okay bro, maybe you should check the Oxford Dictionary (one of the major dictionaries in the world) here: http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/electrocute

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Files Counter-Suit, Asks Court To Sack Tambuwal / APC Has Made Saraki Current Issue In Nigerian Politics – Senators Misau & Rafiu / Eroton Well Has Been Spilling Crude Oil In Bayelsa For Two Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.