Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,311 members, 7,842,908 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law (17188 Views)

SDP Denies Endorsing Buhari / Akiolu Slams Obasanjo, Denies Endorsing Buhari / Shagari Denies Endorsing Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by ceejayluv(m): 11:52am On Jul 24, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: See the as them they contradict themselves.
Last Bullet:
Any girl that's not 18 should not be allowed to vote even if she was married from the womb!
nobody talked about voting there. no go add your own join....
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 24, 2013
SAY NO TO CHILD MARRIAGE IN NIGERIA: Paedophiles Senators, If She's TOO YOUNG to vote during your ELECTION, then she's too young to stand your ERECTI*N. Give her PEN not PEN*S, ask for her BOOKS not BO*BS, pay her SCHOOL FEES not BRIDE PRICE, she needs EDUCATION not EJACULATI*N. IF YOU ARE NOT IN SUPPORT OF CHILD MARRIAGE, PLEASE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE AND CONDEMN IN TOTAL TO PROTECT THE YOUNG NIGERIAN GIRL CHILD.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 24, 2013
sainty2k3: Its just a means of passively giving support to child marriage.
Cos this explanation means that the 13 year old wife of Yerima can vote whereas a 17 year old unmarried can't.
They are saying if u want ur 7yr old daughter to attain the constitutional 'full age' just give her out in marriage
That section needs review
I urge them to make this constitution clear and straight forward.Even those senators dnt understand it clearly. That is one complicated document. a section contradicts anoda one.
must everytin about this country be cumbersome
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by ceejayluv(m): 12:02pm On Jul 24, 2013
ejim blessing: SAY NO TO CHILD MARRIAGE IN NIGERIA: Paedophiles Senators, If She's TOO YOUNG to vote during your ELECTION, then she's too young to stand your ERECTI*N. Give her PEN not PEN*S, ask for her BOOKS not BO*BS, pay her SCHOOL FEES not BRIDE PRICE, she needs EDUCATION not EJACULATI*N. IF YOU ARE NOT IN SUPPORT OF CHILD MARRIAGE, PLEASE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE AND CONDEMN IN TOTAL TO PROTECT THE YOUNG NIGERIAN GIRL CHILD.
yawns... stale quote....
go and expunge sharia law from the constitution... good luck with that..
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by greyman: 12:04pm On Jul 24, 2013
"The argument that I personally find most shallow is that of ‘13-year-olds can get pregnant for their boyfriends, but they can’t get married?’ to which I say: upbringing goes a long way in determining what activities a child will be engaged in at that age. That some lost their virginity at 13 does not mean that all of us did, or that every child will. Why are we making examples of those pregnant teens, and not of many sisters who married in their mid-20s and were chaste? Why not say ‘why should a 13-year-old have sex when 23- year-olds are virgins?’ The truth of the matter is: a 13-year-old shouldn’t be having sex in the first place and marriage is therefore not a solution to that! ‘Legalizing’ sex for children is like saying ‘why criminalize corruption when politicians are bound to steal? Why don’t we just increase their allowances by 100,000 per cent?’" Rinsola Abiola

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by fuckdmods(m): 12:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
me
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by greyman: 12:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
ejim blessing: SAY NO TO CHILD MARRIAGE IN NIGERIA: Paedophiles Senators, If She's TOO YOUNG to vote during your ELECTION, then she's too young to stand your ERECTI*N. Give her PEN not PEN*S, ask for her BOOKS not BO*BS, pay her SCHOOL FEES not BRIDE PRICE, she needs EDUCATION not EJACULATI*N. IF YOU ARE NOT IN SUPPORT OF CHILD MARRIAGE, PLEASE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE AND CONDEMN IN TOTAL TO PROTECT THE YOUNG NIGERIAN GIRL CHILD.

A 10 year old girl should be watching BEN 10 on tv not on round 10 on the bed.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by naptu2: 12:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
This brings me to another issue. People always say "the news is boring", "politics is boring", etc and I think that attitude is one of the reasons why controversies like this arise.

The constitution amendment committee sat in every senatorial district in this country, how many of the people that are complaining attended the sitting in their locality? How many have taken the time to study the constitution so that they'll know what it says? How many went to the committee's sittings with a proposal for the amendment of the constitution? How many have actually read these sections in order to know what they actually say?

3 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by tintingz(m): 12:09pm On Jul 24, 2013
Slickest: This mumu govt have succeeded in diverting our attention, the bone of contention dat might run for the rest of this year nw is child marriage, no one is tokin unemploymnt anymore,ASUU stryk is on a pending zone. One question please, was yerima not married to his 13yr old wife before the bill was passed? what was the purnishment before child marriage became legal....child marriage had always existed in naija and no soul has ever been purnished for it.
Valid point... I always thought about this.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Lilimax(f): 12:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
naptu2: This brings me to another issue. People always say "the news is boring", "politics is boring", etc and I think that attitude is one of the reasons why controversies like this arise.

The constitution amendment committee sat in every senatorial district in this country, how many of the people that are complaining attended the sitting in their locality? How many have taken the time to study the constitution so that they'll know what it says? How many went to the committee's sittings with a proposal for the amendment of the constitution? How many have actually read these sections in order to know what they actually say?
+ Likes
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by livingday: 12:14pm On Jul 24, 2013
sainty2k3: Its just a means of passively giving support to child marriage.
Cos this explanation means that the 13 year old wife of Yerima can vote whereas a 17 year old unmarried can't.
They are saying if u want ur 7yr old daughter to attain the constitutional 'full age' just give her out in marriage
That section needs review

You are misinformed! The constitution never said that but made it obligatory to attend the age of consent or self volition which in this case is 18 years! It is striking how people, including media houses in Nigeria can misinform the public.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by LeoG: 12:16pm On Jul 24, 2013
Mr Excel: if they said it is not so , then they should try and explain 2 Nigerians their intentions cos we are realy in the dark here.

Intentions= all married northern girls who are not up to 18 years will be full of age, automatically become adult and allowed to vote. About 50% of married women in d north if not more. I live in d north ,der are millions of dem, one man can have about 3 of dem as wives, so imagine 50millon men=150million underage northern voters. *Strategy
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by sunkoye: 12:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
haba senateeeee..... even an half brian person understands that your contention here is a transparent mask.the multiplier effect of your decision is pure evil. kai... can u guys listen to urself? angry
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by livingday: 12:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
greyman: "The argument that I personally find most shallow is that of ‘13-year-olds can get pregnant for their boyfriends, but they can’t get married?’ to which I say: upbringing goes a long way in determining what activities a child will be engaged in at that age. That some lost their virginity at 13 does not mean that all of us did, or that every child will. Why are we making examples of those pregnant teens, and not of many sisters who married in their mid-20s and were chaste? Why not say ‘why should a 13-year-old have sex when 23- year-olds are virgins?’ The truth of the matter is: a 13-year-old shouldn’t be having sex in the first place and marriage is therefore not a solution to that! ‘Legalizing’ sex for children is like saying ‘why criminalize corruption when politicians are bound to steal? Why don’t we just increase their allowances by 100,000 per cent?’" Rinsola Abiola

Where in Nigeria did you find a 23 year-old virgin?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by obailala(m): 12:22pm On Jul 24, 2013
The media certainly deceived us in this matter. I actually thought the senate outrightly passed a bill approving marriage to minors but now the picture is clearer. Unfortunately, Nigerians are hell bent on stubbornly swallowing the original misleading story passed on to us through the media instead of taking out time to ask the VITAL QUESTIONS.

From my little understanding of this whole saga:
1) The constitution says a person who is of full age must have attained 18 years of age
2) Now they want to allow an exception to this law which considers married women under 18 as being of 'full age' for the sake of 'renouncing citizenship' ONLY

Two vital questions I have are:
1) What is the actual age of consent in Nigeria according to our constitution - Nobody seems to have asked this question
2) Are we sure the proposed exception would not be extended beyond 'renouncing citizenship' only to other areas such as voting rights?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by naptu2: 12:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
obailala: The media certainly deceived us in this matter. I actually thought the senate outrightly passed a bill approving marriage to minors but now the picture is clearer. Unfortunately, Nigerians are hell bent on stubbornly swallowing the original misleading story passed on to us through the media instead of taking out time to ask the VITAL QUESTIONS.

From my little understanding of this whole saga:
1) The constitution says a person who is of full age must have attained 18 years of age
2) Now they want to allow an exception to this law which considers married women under 18 as being of 'full age' for the sake of 'renouncing citizenship' ONLY

Two vital questions I have are:
1) What is the actual age of consent in Nigeria according to our constitution - Nobody seems to have asked this question
2) Are we sure the proposed exception would not be extended beyond 'renouncing citizenship' only to other areas such as voting rights?

You've almost got it, but I'll make a little correction.

That exception that says that married women are of full age has been in the constitution since 1979! The constitution amendment committee wanted to delete it because they feel it promotes gender discrimination. The amendment was to delete that subsection, but the amendment did not succeed.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 24, 2013
drnoel:
It mean yarima married an underage who can vote. The fact that she is underage and married does not make her an adult even if she is to be regarded as one. It means yarima still broke the law by marring an underage.
a married 9 yr old girl is a
full adult because she has seen everything dat a 40 yr old has seen and has done everything as well

grin
drnoel:
It mean yarima married an underage who can vote. The fact that she is underage and married does not make her an adult even if she is to be regarded as one. It means yarima still broke the law by marring an underage.
a married 9 yr old girl is a
full adult because she has seen everything dat a 40 yr old has seen and has done everything as well
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by onajo2000(m): 12:31pm On Jul 24, 2013
HoldenCaulfield: Nigerians (especially southerns) are silly sonuvabitches, i swear to to god they are. Why all the chaos about what concerns you not for god's. Mtchew bunch of phony, dirty slobs.
u are very stupid for this silly comment of urs
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by naptu2: 12:31pm On Jul 24, 2013
The age of consent (for marriage, sex, etc) is not spelt out in the constitution, but the Child Rights Act (2003) makes it 18 years.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Owolabi10: 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
please can someone help me with the procedure of creating your own topic here on nairaland
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by UjSizzle(f): 12:37pm On Jul 24, 2013
Find Out!:
Misinformation galore.

Many of those screaming childnotbride could have saved their breath on 29 (4) and looked for the relevant section to attack if they as much as READ the legislation in question. But then since a vast majority of Nigerians DO NOT READ, coupled with the Senator Yerima beef & the bandwagon effect (me too i'm talking, or i'm among), its not hard to see why so much misdirected noise was made over that legislation.

Even on nairaland here, some people were still writing epistles and stating categorically that "Nigeria wanted to introduce a law allowing child marriage" when the issue at hand was actually the removal or retention of a certain clause in a section devoted entirely to citizenship and which in actual fact had to do with giving an edge or not to women who were under 18 but married.

It is also not surprising why our leaders have continued to do nonsense, get away with it and still get voted again by people. WE DON'T READ. We never bother to find out just how much cra..p or otherwise we are getting from the leaders.
I hope that from now, especially by 2015, Nigerians will for once actually use their active campaign mentality for something good rather than relying on sentiments as usual.

Sweetheart you n Naptu2 have made more sense than anyone else on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by UjSizzle(f): 12:39pm On Jul 24, 2013
Owolabi-10:
please can someone help me with the procedure of creating your own topic here on nairaland
Go to General Section home page. Seun has a thread for this
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Okeikpu(m): 12:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
HoldenCaulfield: Nigerians (especially southerns) are silly sonuvabitches, i swear to to god they are. Why all the chaos about what concerns you not for god's. Mtchew bunch of phony, dirty slobs.
OYIBO BU AGBALA, CHAII (-!-)
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by ceejayluv(m): 12:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
LeoG: .

Intentions= all married northern girls who are not up to 18 years will be full of age, automatically become adult and allowed to vote. About 50% of married women in d north if not more. I live in d north ,der are millions of dem, one man can have about 3 of dem as wives, so imagine 50millon men=150million underage northern voters. *Strategy
really, what's our population then...
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by JamesLucia: 12:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
them d fear?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by oladistinct(m): 12:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
awesome
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by frankFG: 12:49pm On Jul 24, 2013
i wonder hoe this people keep taking the lives of future generation for granted due to their political ambitions cos from till 2015 north people might ve give out more than 10 million children in marriage so that they can vote in their favor yet we ve failed to realize this
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by frankFG: 12:50pm On Jul 24, 2013
i wonder how this people keep taking the lives of future generation for granted due to their political ambitions cos from till 2015 north people might ve give out more than 10 million children in marriage so that they can vote in their favor yet we ve failed to realize this
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by idonchop: 12:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
I think most of us need education on this issue,the senate did not in any way legalise child marriage....you need to read what the constitution says
29 (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age
who wishes to renounce his Nigerian
citizenship shall make a declaration in
the prescribed manner for the
renunciation.
(2) The president shall cause the
declaration made under subsection
(1) of this section to be registered and
upon such registration, the person
who made the declaration shall cease
to be citizen of Nigeria.
(3) The president may withhold the
registration of any declaration made
under subsection (1) of this section if:
(a) the declaration is made during any
war in which Nigeria is physically
involved; or
(b) in his opinion, it is otherwise
contrary to public policy.
(4) For the purposes of subsection (1)
of this section:
(a) “full age” means the age of
eighteen years and above;
(b) any woman who is married shall
be deemed to be of full age.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Okeikpu(m): 12:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
Slickest: This mumu govt have succeeded in diverting our attention, the bone of contention dat might run for the rest of this year nw is child marriage, no one is tokin unemploymnt anymore,ASUU stryk is on a pending zone. One question please, was yerima not married to his 13yr old wife before the bill was passed? what was the purnishment before child marriage became legal....child marriage had always existed in naija and no soul has ever been purnished for it.
T tell dem my guy! Useless elders sad their cup don dey full small small . What a country sad
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by kinkymax: 12:56pm On Jul 24, 2013
Na wa o
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by guttentag(m): 1:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
I dey feel so much pain for this country. Na so we go de dey?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ahmed Lawan: Another Protest Looms If Unemployment Persists / Jonathan Lacks Capacity To Secure Nigeria, Fight Corruption - Festus Keyamo / EFCC Charges Tompolo In Lagos Over N22b Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.