Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,488 members, 7,826,839 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law (17174 Views)

SDP Denies Endorsing Buhari / Akiolu Slams Obasanjo, Denies Endorsing Buhari / Shagari Denies Endorsing Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by REmmyDirel: 1:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
I personally am beginning to think, Nigerians should start HURTING every family member of these leaders in their zones (Home and abroad). Make them all pay for these shits. Get the next person in government scared of the risk associated to the seat.

There should be a serial killer in this Land of ours. dont u think so?

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by malipalina: 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
i think the senate should be wary of their decisions because history can never forget them !
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by manmacho: 1:14pm On Jul 24, 2013
does the Nigeria constitution allow marriage between a minor and a major? i have never seen a reigistry that does that
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by cecegorz(m): 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
Find Out!:
Misinformation galore.

Many of those screaming childnotbride could have saved their breath on 29 (4) and looked for the relevant section to attack if they as much as READ the legislation in question. But then since a vast majority of Nigerians DO NOT READ, coupled with the Senator Yerima beef & the bandwagon effect (me too i'm talking, or i'm among), its not hard to see why so much misdirected noise was made over that legislation.

Even on nairaland here, some people were still writing epistles and stating categorically that "Nigeria wanted to introduce a law allowing child marriage" when the issue at hand was actually the removal or retention of a certain clause in a section devoted entirely to citizenship and which in actual fact had to do with giving an edge or not to women who were under 18 but married.

It is also not surprising why our leaders have continued to do nonsense, get away with it and still get voted again by people. WE DON'T READ. We never bother to find out just how much cra..p or otherwise we are getting from the leaders.
I hope that from now, especially by 2015, Nigerians will for once actually use their active campaign mentality for something good rather than relying on sentiments as usual.

I was so appalled at the so called Twitter warriors (El Rufai, Omojuwa, etc)with their bandwagon trending with #childnotbride because i saw clearly that these people had issues with comprehension of the issue on ground.
When Pastor Bakare, a qualified lawyer joined the fray on sunday, i just gave up!
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by ALISMILE(m): 1:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
Find Out!:
Misinformation galore.

Many of those screaming childnotbride could have saved their breath on 29 (4) and looked for the relevant section to attack if they as much as READ the legislation in question. But then since a vast majority of Nigerians DO NOT READ, coupled with the Senator Yerima beef & the bandwagon effect (me too i'm talking, or i'm among), its not hard to see why so much misdirected noise was made over that legislation.

Even on nairaland here, some people were still writing epistles and stating categorically that "Nigeria wanted to introduce a law allowing child marriage" when the issue at hand was actually the removal or retention of a certain clause in a section devoted entirely to citizenship and which in actual fact had to do with giving an edge or not to women who were under 18 but married.

It is also not surprising why our leaders have continued to do nonsense, get away with it and still get voted again by people. WE DON'T READ. We never bother to find out just how much cra..p or otherwise we are getting from the leaders.
I hope that from now, especially by 2015, Nigerians will for once actually use their active campaign mentality for something good rather than relying on sentiments as usual.

The ease wit which nigerians wrongly digest misinformation is just appallin. Each time i read and see the level of noise generated by this 'simple' issue, i weep for the LOW AWARENESS LEVEL of my people. Nigerians just need to start readin.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by nduchucks: 1:21pm On Jul 24, 2013
naptu2:
Some have said that the ambiguity in section 4b could lead to the legalisation of marriages of people under the age of 18. However, others argue that it won't because, according to the Child Rights Act, it is illegal to marry anyone below the age of 18. The marriage would be illegal at the time it is being contracted, while section 4b deals with a woman that is already married. But note that the Child Rights Act has only been domesticated in 24 states.

In addition to the excellent points above, it should be noted that traditional marriages which allow for polygamy and marriages to underaged girls is essentially immune from the impact of the problematic constitutional amendment.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Fadelex(m): 1:22pm On Jul 24, 2013
cecegorz:
I was so appalled at the so called Twitter warriors (El Rufai, Omojuwa, etc)with their bandwagon trending with #childnotbride because i saw clearly that these people had issues with comprehension of the issue on ground.
When Pastor Bakare, a qualified lawyer joined the fray on sunday, i just gave up!
God bless you... illiteracy is a disease but when u see someone of pastor bakare status joining them I wonder what kind of professionals r we producing in Nigeria. even as I no be lawyer I could comfortably comprehend the section and there is no where in Nigeria constitution that stipulates you must be 18 b4 u marry. I bet 90% of advocates of #childnotbride don't have a copy of Nigeria constitution talkless of child right act.. I rest my case
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by nduchucks: 1:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
manmacho: does the Nigeria constitution allow marriage between a minor and a major? i have never seen a reigistry that does that

It is free for all when it comes to traditional marriages. Obas, Obis, Emirs, and commoners alike, routinely marry multiple wives and underaged girls.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Babalegba(m): 1:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
onajo2000:
u are very stupid for this silly comment of urs
please try to avoid replying animals in future, they would only drag you to their level. Better to just ignore them.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by greyman: 1:39pm On Jul 24, 2013
When a House of Representative member, Rep. Jagaba Adams Jagaba (PDP, Kachai/Kagarko Federal Constituency, Kaduna State), commented on the jumbo pay of legistlators, this is what he had to say.......

“No, how can we be the highest paid in the world? Have you cared to know how much ministers collect in Nigeria? Have you cared to know how much their aides have been collecting? The corruption we are talking, is it not the executive arm that is more involved than any other politician in the world? You see, the truth of the matter is that we are doing our work. ”

He never really denied it, but simply implied "We are not alone...."
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by thaoriginator: 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2013
spongeback: angry
mumu wetin be dis!
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by dasparrow: 1:58pm On Jul 24, 2013
@Post

Why is the senate all of a sudden backtracking? Are they afraid of a revolution from angry Nigerians who do not support child marriages? Bunch of shameless paedophiles!
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Godswilling: 1:58pm On Jul 24, 2013
We can no longer be deceived.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by ceejayluv(m): 2:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
cecegorz:
I tire ooo... And people are still busy screaming paedophiles!! Some are even taking it to mean the under 18 married women can now vote. BULLSHIT...
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by stanley99a(m): 2:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
Sincere Bigot: Ah! God save these senators ooo..

Because what happened exactly on the 16th of April 1874 in Old Benin would have repeated itself.

Useless bunch of Senators.
my friend, wetin happen then?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by olapluto(m): 2:17pm On Jul 24, 2013
Now the dust is settling, the gullibility of Nigerians who do not bother to read is becoming glaring. Has Stella Damascus taken her show of shame off YouTube? I was well insulted on this nairaland for pointing out the obvious misunderstandings. Unfortunately some people are now trying to add meaning to denunciation of citizenship as meaning approval to vote.
Unfortunately, the people who carry the title of 'child right activists' are nothing but deceitful individuals. They are pushing personal agenda and vendetta. Now they have overshot their runway and Nigerians will look well before leaping next time.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by TheKingsQueen: 2:18pm On Jul 24, 2013
LeoG: .

Intentions= all married northern girls who are not up to 18 years will be full of age, automatically become adult and allowed to vote. About 50% of married women in d north if not more. I live in d north ,der are millions of dem, one man can have about 3 of dem as wives, so imagine 50millon men=150million underage northern voters. *Strategy
sainty2k3: Its just a means of passively giving support to child marriage.
Cos this explanation means that the 13 year old wife of Yerima can vote whereas a 17 year old unmarried can't.
They are saying if u want ur 7yr old daughter to attain the constitutional 'full age' just give her out in marriage
That section needs review

[size=18pt]And what made you guys think the section was talking about elections and voting? Na wa oh![/size]
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by sureway1(m): 2:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
livingday:

Where in Nigeria did you find a 23 year-old virgin?
Guilty conscience...
you mean all ur relatives above dis age are not v.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Fadelex(m): 2:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
The_King'sQueen:

[size=18pt]And what made you guys think the section was talking about elections and voting? Na wa oh![/size]
no mind them o, they are just looking for anything to cover their shame... section 117 subsection 2 clearly states that you must be 18years b4 u can register to vote...
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Pque(m): 2:30pm On Jul 24, 2013
~ZN~:
Now I can see how ignorant Nigerians can be. The senators were trying to modify a different section of the constitution that has nothing to do with "eligibility for marriage".

There is a child's rights act active in about 24 states that forbids marrying anyone under 18.

Why do u talk in this manner 'now u can see hw ignorant nigerians can be' it is true that d section has nothing to do with eligibility 4 marraige bt d same subsection 4b state that any lady who is married is deemed to b full of age, can vote nd can renounce her citizenship (even though d said lady is an underage ignorant, nt up to 18yrs). What is d above indirectly implying? If I have a wife below 18yrs, she is full of age.
The fact is that d subsection 4b makes lawful any marraige to an underage girl since it states that any married lady is full of age. Yerimah married an underaged girl nd by implication according to that subsection, d constitution is in support of that marraige (a child marraige). Indirectly a child marraige (child abuse by wicked old fools) is legal in Nigeria. Is d constitution nt superior than any other law nd any law inconsistent with constitution shall nt b acceptable nd render inconsistent. The point here is that underaged marraige is subject to arguement anywhere in Nigeria including law court whether is lawful or unlawful as entertained and provided for by the constitution ND GUESS WHAT WILL BE D JUDGEMENT OF THOSE WICKED AND BRIBED NIGERIAN JUDGES ND THEIR EXCUSE IS... Sec29(4b) Constitution!! Solution, if d senators think they are innocent of under aged marraige, they should add a clause to d constitution that any marrage to any girl below 18yrs is illegal nd unconstitutional in Nigera. Despite d fact dat d rebelious Yerimah raised a cogent point, it is unislamic. Whether it is islamic or unislamic, d issue is dat 'is child marraige good for Nigeria'. it shall lead to many other evil.

A true muslim knows that it is wrong. Jesus Christ was once acussed of changing d law (traditn) nd one of his answers to such accusations is I have nt come to change the law bt to fulfill it nd moses gave u those law because of d hardness of ur heart. It therefore becomes common sence that any law that is barbarrick in nature does nt fit any Godly religion. Don't u muslim believe that Issa (Jesus) is one of ur prophet. If Issa then did nd say all this things, is it therefore nt common sence that what is wrong is wrong nd also ungodly. Better warn that beaded goatee, animalistic of a man, he should nt justify his wrong with our own law!! Shikenah.
When d law state that no negociation with terrorrist, why should d law allow a process that encourage negociation with terrorist. When d law states that underage marraige is illegal while should d law also state that any married person is full of age. What makes it more frustrating nd annoying is dat those senators were unsucessfull in removing that subsection there by giving consent to it... To what end in this our nation?

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Babalegba(m): 2:36pm On Jul 24, 2013
ceejayluv:
I tire ooo... And people are still busy screaming paedophiles!! Some are even taking it to mean the under 18 married women can now vote. BULLSHIT...
pls kindly elucidate on the matter, Nigerians are not pedantic but they know instinctively that nothing good can come out of their senate or could it be that Yerima is now penitent and is championing the rights of his bedmate minors. No, the spirit of the law that makes victims of children is what many Nigerians are angry.about not the letter. It is not easy to be pedantic when you are hungry and hustling. Perhap a stable Phcn will make us all more erudite and make lawyers of us all. It is not funny reading in the dark to improve your comprehension. Sir kindly direct your fire to the erring leaders .
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by luvmijeje(f): 2:39pm On Jul 24, 2013
Naptu, thanks 4 that information but you have to agree with me that despite child right act the literacy levels of the girl child is absymally low and the high under-age marriages contributed majorly to it esp in the North.
We needed a trigger that will bring the world and the Nation attention to it and we got it, admittedly we milked it and we are still milking it.
I learnt Islam is against it which many of the perpetrators are hiding under- asiri won ti tu. We also heard voices coming from the North! Shockingly. This is a win going forward for us who cares about the girl child.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Rockyheight: 2:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
HoldenCaulfield: Nigerians (especially southerns) are silly sonuvabitches, i swear to to god they are. Why all the chaos about what concerns you not for god's. Mtchew bunch of phony, dirty slobs.

You are right I have always asked my self the same question, if you northern muslims decides to go baby fucking! How does it concern us in the south? How!After the guy you people are looking up to married an eight year old who died shortly after.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Rockyheight: 2:48pm On Jul 24, 2013
HoldenCaulfield: Nigerians (especially southerns) are silly sonuvabitches, i swear to to god they are. Why all the chaos about what concerns you not for god's. Mtchew bunch of phony, dirty slobs.

You are right I have always asked my self the same question, if you northern muslims decides to go baby fucking! How does it concern us in the south? How!After all the guy you people are looking up to married an eight year old who died shortly after.we don't have to guess the cause of death..
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by occam(m): 2:59pm On Jul 24, 2013
Now we know! We now know that Twiiter, Faceobook is all we know and do. Nigerians can no longer read. Again, that amendment did not endorse nor encourage child marriage. It looks like that because social activist and well educated celebs told the equally educated southern masses, that a child marriage bill has just passed in the Senate. And every nook and corner of social media was filled with "No to child marriage"

We cannot even discern, analyse & interpret a simple Senate amendment. Of noteworthy, every senator from the North voted to retain sub section 4 b. Does this make them all pedophile, illiterate old men or do they just believe that Sharia law is sacrosanct to them and must be defended by all means? Are we just tribal bigots that believe all Northerners are sub humans? Sobering thought amidst all the noise
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 24, 2013
tha_originator: mumu wetin be dis!
Your pric.k
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Babalegba(m): 3:14pm On Jul 24, 2013
occam: Now we know! We now know that Twiiter, Faceobook is all we know and do. Nigerians can no longer read. Again, that amendment did not endorse nor encourage child marriage. It looks like that because social activist and well educated celebs told the equally educated southern masses, that a child marriage bill has just passed in the Senate. And every nook and corner of social media was filled with "No to child marriage"

We cannot even discern, analyse & interpret a simple Senate amendment. Of noteworthy, every senator from the North voted to retain sub section 4 b. Does this make them all pedophile, illiterate old men or do they just believe that Sharia law is sacrosanct to them and must be defended by all means? Are we just tribal bigots that believe all Northerners are sub humans? Sobering thought amidst all the noise
okay okay, we have heard you and we accept that your level of education and erudition is impressive BUT we will still shout at grown men hiding behind religious laws and tradition to molest children.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Gunzilla(m): 3:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
Nigerians dont have the ability to read anything anymore..smh..This was my post on another thread...

Okay,so I decided to weigh in on this “Child Marriage” debate going on in Nigeria right now.I know it’s largely a waste of time,because the average intelligence of most Nairalanders is that of a gnat and most of you have made up your narrow minds without verifying any fact.Yes I’m talking about people like Delors,Kamsy10,Julieeccentric(smh)Fitzy4real that just read the headlines on newspapers and just run with it.
For the avoidance of any doubt, I’m a Yoruba guy from a strong Christian background and I abhor old men marrying kids as much as the next guy.But can you people please show where and how the current amendment of S.29 leads to the marriage of under age kids ?
As Naptu has taken great pains to explain what the Section of the Constitution says is:
29. (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

The amendment is seeking to delete (b) above and that’s what Yerima objected against and argued that its against Islamic Law. Now for the sake of argument, lets assume that the sub-section is deleted. THE FACT STILL REMAINS THAT S.29 IS TALKING ABOUT RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP AND NOT MARRIAGE. How hard is that to understand? So “FULL AGE” here is talking about age to renounce.Thats what this sub-section is talking about..the CAPACITY to renounce citizenship.

Now talking about AGE TO MARRY, the fact remains that whether we like it or not, for states that have adopted Sharia Law, this is the Law that applies. We may not like it(I certainly do not), but that’s the law as prescribed by this same 1999 Constitution. As long as Sharia Law allows underage marriage, it’s going to continue. That’s what S.277 and S.278 of the Constitution has guaranteed.
277. (1) The Sharia Court of Appeal of a State shall, in addition to such other jurisdiction as may be conferred upon it by the law of the State, exercise such appellate and supervisory jurisdiction in civil proceedings involving questions of Islamic personal Law which the court is competent to decide in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, the Sharia Court of Appeal shall be competent to decide -
(a) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a marriage concluded in accordance with that Law, including a question relating to the validity or dissolution of such a marriage or a question that depends on such a marriage and relating to family relationship or the guardianship of an infant;
This is the Constitution. It supersedes any other law of the land including the Child Rights Act of 2003 makes it unlawful for anyone under 18 to marry. SO,JUST SO YOU KNOW,THE CONSTITUTION OF NIGERIA AS IT STANDS TODAY ALLOWS CHILD MARRIAGE UNDER SHARIA LAW.
So if you want to outlaw child marriages, start writing to your Senators and HOR members to amend S.277 and to make sure that the Sharia Courts of Appeal of a State are precluded from having jurisdiction over the validity of marriages, removing the matter from Sharia Law and placing the issue of age and capacity to marry firmly under the Child Rights Act 2003 ,instead of jumping on the bandwagon of people without common sense like Stella Damascus or whatever her name is that stated that she read extensively on the issue. Begs that question that what exactly did she read ?? Go on youtube and make a video,go on twitter and retweet frequently.But make sure that you are actually talking about the relevant issue and not about a person’s age and capacity to renounce citizenship.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Peterwins(m): 3:25pm On Jul 24, 2013
The Senate has defended its decision to retain a controversial section of the constitution that seems to support child marriage, asking Nigerians to be calm and understand that the section has nothing to do with marriage, but instead citizenship.

The Senate said Nigerians had nothing to fear as it will never support child marriage, a subject at the centre of the controversy over Section 29, subsection 4(b) of the constitution.

It's simply about citizenship and marriage because section 29 subsection 4b states: (b) any woman who is married shall
be deemed to be of full age.

Is there a different definition of marriage?

It clearly means that if a 10 years old woman (child bride) gets married she is deemed (automatically qualifies to be an adult even though she is presently a child) to be of full age irrespective of her age.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by naptu2: 3:28pm On Jul 24, 2013
luvmijeje: Naptu, thanks 4 that information but you have to agree with me that despite child right act the literacy levels of the girl child is absymally low and the high under-age marriages contributed majorly to it esp in the North.
We needed a trigger that will bring the world and the Nation attention to it and we got it, admittedly we milked it and we are still milking it.
I learnt Islam is against it which many of the perpetrators are hiding under- asiri won ti tu. We also heard voices coming from the North! Shockingly. This is a win going forward for us who cares about the girl child.

The problem with that is that you create a credibility problem. If you use a false claim to get people to support you today and the people later find out that they were deceived, they will not follow you next time, even if your claims are genuine. (The story of the boy who cried wolf).
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by francisbiz: 3:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
My problem is that our politicians are hypocrites, they can't stand and defend any choice they make.
In the case of OBAMACARE in the U.S. the senators who opposed the health policy even though they lost, yet they would always tell the public that they are still not in support of it. They would always oppose it at any given time and with untwisted reasons.
Just hear senator ike ekweremmadu speaking from both sides of his mouth; defending a decision that he voted against.
If the clause was so good, why did he not vote for it.
What is he afraid of?
Be bold for once, no NIGERIAN is a fool, stop fooling yourself. Stand where you are.

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 24, 2013
LeoG: .

Intentions= all married northern girls who are not up to 18 years will be full of age, automatically become adult and allowed to vote. About 50% of married women in d north if not more. I live in d north ,der are millions of dem, one man can have about 3 of dem as wives, so imagine 50millon men=150million underage northern voters. *Strategy

The Constitution and the Electoral Act set the minimum voting age at 18.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fact About The Military Presence In Osun / How To Check Your Federal Constituency Budget Allocations (N1.3 Bill -Surulere1) / Idris Kutigi Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.