Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,386 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets (36352 Views)

Destructive Trainings NDA Cadets Under Go / NDA Cadets Block Traffic To Take Selfies. (photos) / Photos Of NDA Cadets Harassing Civilians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 24, 2013
Global rating places Nigeria as the 23rd of 188 nations advancing the emancipation of women. The rating was the reason President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia and the President of Malawi, Joyce Banda, who were guests at the launch of the book – Goodluck Jonathan: Champion for Women on June 26, hailed Jonathan’s passion for womanhood, especially for appointing 13 female ministers to his cabinet.

Two years ago, Nigeria admitted the first set of female Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA) cadets. That opened the door for women to train as full time professional and combatant military officers. During the book launch, the 20 ladies, the first batch of female NDA cadets attended and made military displays that depicted them as strong and competent as their male counterparts in the course.

The ladies turned up in their army ceremonial dress and others in military fatigue. There were seen as just lady soldiers who were part of the crowd. It was after some time that many recalled they were the first batch of female NDA cadets after 49 years of the academy.

The ladies gave the audience a snippet of what is their daily routine at the academy back in Zaria. On the Commandant’s order, those in fatigue went straight on the floor and had 20 push ups without running out of breath to the admiration of the audience, including President Jonathan. This definitely was the highlight of the event.

Some other daily routine of the cadets include endurance trek that covers about 12 kilometers daily, and some of them confess that at the beginning, they used to drop out of the exercise but with time, determination and the encouragement of others, it is now something they look up to.

[b]The girls confess they suffered sleep deprivation. “Sometimes for about two days we will no sleep because we will be somewhere training, and eventually it would take the whole day. Before long the next morning comes and one hurriedly dresses up for the class.

After the displays, Jonathan said he was convinced that there should be no discrimination against women in military recruitment and that made him mandate the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) to review the admission policy into the NDA.

He said his administration authorized the admission of women cadets into the NDA and their commissioning as combatants in the armed forces.

Before the review in 2011, the military education and career programme shut out female from rising to top positions like CDS and Service Chiefs in the military.

He commended the female cadets he called ‘Jonathan’s Queens.’

The 25th Commandant of NDA, Maj.-Gen. Emeka Onwuamaegbu during his remarks and presentation of the cadets said in the 49 years of the NDA, no female had been admitted until 2010 when President Jonathan directed the reform of the admission policy, which took effect in the 2011session.

He said from 300 ladies that applied, 20 were selected alongside 160 male cadets admitted into NDA in 2011.

Onwuamaegbu revealed that the female cadets are doing well and in 2012, when the United States Government requested six cadets to be trained at West Point, a US military academy, two of the female cadets qualified after screening.

He assured that: “The female cadets in the academy have continued to excel in their academic and military training. In fact in academics, many of them have done better than their male counterparts because in the first 10 positions, eight are female cadets, while the best cadet in military training is also female.

“In discipline, they have not been found wanting, and in physical training, they have also done exceptionally well, so I commend Mr. President who ordered the training of female cadets in regular combatant programme in the academy and I think he has been vindicated by his decision to open the doors of the academy to the female folks.”

The Commandant enjoined Nigerians to attend the passing out ceremony of the female cadet from the Academy in Kaduna in September 2016.

Two of the ladies who answered press questions recounted some of their experiences and survival tactics, and how they have held on in the face of stereotyping and rigorous routines, braving all to advance stronger and even more determined to get to the top.

Cadet Sealord Mallam admitted it has not been easy to cope in a predominantly male environment. “But thanks to the president and our commandant, Major General Onwuamaegbu. He created the right environment for us to train. Today, I can say it’s easier compared to when we started.”
It was Mallam’s quest for something new that made her join the NDA. “I wanted something new, something that women were not into and I decided to explore the opportunity in the military. My parents were strongly against it.  They did not want me to join, but I refused. I am glad that now, they are very supportive because, they have seen that I am doing well.

“I plan to train harder and rise to the highest rank possible and to stand for the women in everything I do.”

Cadet S. Agang from Kaduna said though it’s been a tedious journey and she even thought of quitting at some point, she has no regrets so far. “My experience in the academy has been tedious and with the support and approval of Mr. President, for us to be in the Academy, we have been able to cope with the training though it’s quite challenging.

“There was a time I thought about withdrawing. Yes, but interestingly, we encouraged each other. Most times, when we think of the kind of homes we come from and how the commandant has encouraged and made us feel comfortable, it is better, such thoughts are quickly erased.”

Agang said joining the military was never in her plans but her parents advised her to and she did, reluctantly.

“It was never my dream to join the army. In my case, my parents advised me to go into it. At first, I was against it, but when I came in, I began to like it. My father is a military personnel. So, I have been in a military environment all my life. Now, my female colleagues and I do everything that the male cadets do. There is no discrimination[/b].
 http://sunnewsonline.com/new/specials/abuja-metro/confessions-of-first-female-nda-cadets/

3 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Sunnycliff(m): 8:03am On Jul 24, 2013
Good for them. Thats the path they have chosen, so all the best for them
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by na2day(m): 8:04am On Jul 24, 2013
How about sexu.al predation?
It must have been tough in an all male environment!

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 24, 2013
As a black belt holder,will any of this girls get a punch off me in a combat? I am so happy that the president got it right. Congraz gallant Jonathan queens!!!!
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 24, 2013
na2day!:
How about sexu.al predation?
It must have been tough in an all male environment!
Nawa 4 u o, so na fuc.kkkk fuc.kkk fuc.kk anywhere men plenty? Have u even seen the girls to ascertain whether they are that fuckable?

3 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 24, 2013
When I saw the headline, I tot the content would be how the female confess about how they face sexual assaults, about how many men they had to service whenever the men are Kongilicious.
This is no news jare. Park well!

19 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 24, 2013
solidbroda: When I saw the headline, I tot the content would be how the female confess about how they face sexual assaults, about how many men they had to service whenever the men are Kongilicious.
This is no news jare. Park well!
lolzzzz, guy nawa 4 uoo, hw dey wan confess dt kind tin, d gals don't even look fuckable
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by GEJTILL2019(m): 8:44am On Jul 24, 2013
Lord mallam is my neighbor in kaduna...her mum is a lecturer in NDA....

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 24, 2013
NDA is around kaduna north LGA and not zaria.
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by dridowu: 9:26am On Jul 24, 2013
NDA so painfull , i miss out then, congrat to the female folks

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Onota: 9:54am On Jul 24, 2013
What is the reward for being 1st to comment.. Pls?
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 24, 2013
OP when u use the word "confession" it paints a picture that the person in question did something wrong and is admitting to it..... honestly, i dont know what school some of these mods went to...... angry angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by taiocol: 9:56am On Jul 24, 2013
Rubbis. Who cares
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by mmmustapha(m): 9:57am On Jul 24, 2013
No, NDA is under Igabi Local govt. I think Navy suit women better than Army
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by mmmustapha(m): 9:58am On Jul 24, 2013
Onota: What is the reward for being 1st to comment.. Pls?
grin
Onota: What is the reward for being 1st to comment.. Pls?
3 hot slap from seun

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Lordave: 10:00am On Jul 24, 2013
No administration can do more well for women than GEJ admin.
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 24, 2013
Two of the ladies who answered press questions recounted some of their experiences and survival tactics, and how they have held on in the face of stereotyping and rigorous routines, braving all to advance stronger and even more determined to get to the top.

I don't think it's about stereotype but respecting the softness of woman.I'm one of those who believe women shouldn't do strenous activities/jobs especially those requiring physical energy.No matter how you tried, you lose your feminine outward, risk your life in battle that is if they would be deployed, sacrifice family and the chance of a happy life because you lose all the privileges of a woman upon conscription ie you may be transferred or deployed without your approval. . . .

So looking deep down, I believe those who kept women out of extra-strenous jobs didn't really do it out of stereotype but a feeling of pity for the condition of women in the family and the society.I hope these two would be here to tell us what their experience went in years to come !

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by chistar01(m): 10:07am On Jul 24, 2013
LOL.. Oya when you are done reading this, follow the link at my signature and read something different..smiley
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Brimmie(m): 10:08am On Jul 24, 2013
chidindufrank: Nawa 4 u o, so na fuc.kkkk fuc.kkk fuc.kk anywhere men plenty? Have u even seen the girls to ascertain whether they are that fuckable?

Dont underrate the Power Of Agro bro. Even the Ugly Ones are better rap.ed because they don't deserve a say! LOL!! grin grin **evil mind**
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Jaywilzee(m): 10:11am On Jul 24, 2013
coolNaija don get dia own G.I jane abi na G.I caro.....

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Marineetyon(m): 10:11am On Jul 24, 2013
Can they join me at the front line real theatre? It's time we face reality than chasing shadows. I'm not saying women shouldn't be given a chance in the military but their chances should be 1:20 to men. Women don't participate in front line battle so that amounts to wastage relegating them to ceremonial soldiers. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by mkoabiola: 10:11am On Jul 24, 2013
But I alwys wonder will d female folks in military mak a gud house wife.
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by lifestyle1(m): 10:11am On Jul 24, 2013
undecided
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by doctokwus: 10:13am On Jul 24, 2013
ARES: OP when u use the word "confession" it paints a picture that the person in question did something wrong and is admitting to it..... honestly, i dont know what school some of these mods went to...... angry angry angry angry
My bro!There is serious intellectual deficit in d calibre of fp moderators;dat someone does not understand d meaning of confession.Even if it was so used by d source of d story,we d readers of nland expect dat before anything makes d fp,it must av been read thru,deemed worthy& edited to suit d fp.This story shd av been better titled:'our experiences in the NDA';& it definitely aint worth reading,talkless of being a fp thread.

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by ELgordo(m): 10:15am On Jul 24, 2013
BORRRINNNGGG!!! What else iz new?
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 24, 2013
Marine*etyon:
Can they join me at the front line real theatre? It's time we face reality than chasing shadows. I'm not saying women shouldn't be given a chance in the military but their chances should be 1:20 to men. Women don't participate in front line battle so that amounts to wastage relegating them to ceremonial soldiers. God bless Nigeria.

Even during the Iraqi war,women in the US army were restricted from the battle lines.
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 24, 2013
[quote author=chidindufrank]As a black belt holder,will any of this girls get a punch off me in a combat? I am so happy that the president got it right. Congraz gallant Jonathan queens!!!! [/quoted ]

She might not get a punch in, but why would she bother when she can easily shoot u.

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 24, 2013
ARES: OP when u use the word "confession" it paints a picture that the person in question did something wrong and is admitting to it..... honestly, i dont know what school some of these mods went to...... angry angry angry angry

Not really. . . . ."confession" in verb form is also use to admit something RELUCTANTLY.So there is absolutely nothing wrong with the subject topic except that the "confessionS" as used by @Op appeared in a noun form !

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by aieromon(m): 10:28am On Jul 24, 2013
What sort of confession is this?

Who names their daughter Sealord Mallam? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by kstyle2(m): 10:29am On Jul 24, 2013
I so much luv d military.i pray God c me thru in my quest 2 join d navy unda d course-22 short service commission.onward 2geda
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by Picomon(m): 10:29am On Jul 24, 2013
I even think say hin go talk as dem dey yansh for there.

Mtcheew.
Re: Confessions Of First Female NDA Cadets by AdekunleSegun(m): 10:30am On Jul 24, 2013
na their people them admit joor. As usual.
Next story abegi.
20 out of 300...nepotism as usual. Especially in NDA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Obi & Datti Ahmed Storm Kano For The Wedding Of Emir Of Kano's Daughter / Senate Replies Custom CG, Ali: You Must Appear Before Us In uniform / Garba Shehu To Dump Buhari Soon – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.