Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,270 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London (12252 Views)

Amaechi In A Queue While Boarding A Flight In Abuja.. Photos / This Is Wickedness! See Amaechi In Dustbin(pix) / Picture Of Amaechi In Buba Attire, You Wont Believe He's The One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 24, 2013
Rivers State diasporans turn up in numbers to support Amaechi in London

HUNDREDS of Rivers States indigenes in the UK stormed Chatham House in Central London today to show solidarity with their governor Rotimi Amaechi who is currently involved in an ugly spat with the federal government.

Carrying placards praising Governor Amaechi who came to deliver a speech titled Reform and Resource Governance in Nigeria at Chatham House, the students claimed they were there to show appreciation for the good work their governor was doing. Many of the students were beneficiaries of the governor's scholarship scheme designed to improve manpower in the state.

Chaired the British MP Richard Fuller, the vice chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Nigeria in the House of Commons, the session was part of Chatham House's African dialogue series. Home of the Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House regularly invites Nigerian politicians to the UK to participate in its discussions about how the African continent is developing.

Outlining a catalogue of achievements his administration can boast of since assuming office in 2007, Governor Amaechi reeled off a list that included infrastructural projects, the launching of agricultural plantations, sending hundreds of students on scholarship to the UK and Canada and the massive funding of education. He pointed out that 500 primary schools have been built in Rivers State during his tenure and 250 more will be commissioned starting from October this year.

Governor Amaechi said: "The academic structure we inherited was very bad as many children could not stay in school and those who did got a very poor education. We are building schools and uniforms, sandals, bags and books are free, while with healthcare, we have built 60 health centres and 70 more will be commissioned before the end of the year.

"We send 300 every year to the UK and Canada on scholarship and we have established palm oil and banana plantations that employ workers. By the end of our tenure, we would have laid the foundation for a more robust and less oil-dependent economy in Rivers State."

Speaking about his recent political troubles, Governor Amaechi pointed out that they all began when it was suspected that he had higher political ambitions for 2015. Stressing that he has not declared for any position yet, the governor said the impact of the clampdown was that several projects in Rivers State have been put on ice by the federal government.

Governor Amaechi said: "When the federal government suspects that you have an ambition, they do everything to bring you down. For instance, we have two helicopters to monitor security that they have refused permission to be brought into the country and they have frustrated plans we have to open a syringe manufacturing factory in Rivers State.

"Even if they have an issue with me, why should the whole of Rivers State suffer? We have numerous projects which we have signed agreements with the federal government to introduce and implement but since this crisis began, they have suspended all of them and the people feeling it are the ordinary people of Rivers State."

Adding that Rivers State has the second largest economy in Nigeria, the governor said he is of the opinion that good political leadership could improve things further. However, he added that the political culture in Nigeria where politicians believe they are doing the people a favour is a huge impediment as is the refusal of certain people to leave the political scene.

According to Governor Amaechi, certain politicians have remained on the scene despite having nothing more to offer because they have no other means of earning a living. He joked about he intends to leave politics one day as he does not fancy the idea of sitting round the table arguing with his children.

Stressing that the current crisis in Rivers State threatens security, Governor Amaechi said that some of the militant groups that have been disbanded have now been revived and are being used to cause mayhem and protest against his government. He added that on the day there was a fracas in the Rivers State House of Assembly, many of these thugs were bussed in with the connivance of the police commissioner.

Governor Amaechi said: "I used to be the speaker of the house and the law is that you are not even allowed to bring your walking stick in when entering. How did these people manage to bring in thugs, weapons, a fake mace and cause mayhem while the police were not only looking on buy aiding them?"

He pointed out that the violence started long before the recording seen on the widely circulated Youtube began when five assemblymen smuggled a fake mace into the Rivers State House of Assembly and used their hoodlums to create chaos. According to the governor, after the police commissioner refused to do anything about it, he went there with his security detail and it was they who eventually restored order.

Source

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Rhino5dm: 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
Madam Shepopotamus thought she can shut you down by sponsoring touts to make the state ungovernable for you . Here you are, speaking like a man and reeling out achievements beyond what they can fathom. Portharcourt first son, MEKA OO

18 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Josegun(m): 7:31pm On Jul 24, 2013
That is my Governor. He has gone international.

10 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
The man is wise.

He thinks like a yoruba man!

U go violent, i grab the pen and finish u..

Lobatan!

grin

14 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by ssii: 8:11pm On Jul 24, 2013
Thats my governor! God bless you sir. No man can bring you down. The more they fight you, the more you shine! Carry go, nothing do you. Mods, frontpage pls!

6 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 24, 2013
The attack on this man only makes him more popular than those who attack him and occupy higher posts.

12 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by icon8: 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2013
500 primary schools built in 5 years? 300 students sent to the UK and Canada on scholarship every year?? I think he's a firm believer of the saying "Education is the best legacy"! Not bad in my opinion.

15 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:00pm On Jul 24, 2013
UK Border Agency just lost an opportunity to reduce the number of illegal immigrants. SMH!!
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by ihimami: 9:21pm On Jul 24, 2013
Sunny_bobo: UK Border Agency just lost an opportunity to reduce the number of illegal immigrants. SMH!!

Hate! tongue

1 Like

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 24, 2013
While Amaechi is not without faults of his own, it is glaringly obvious that the opposing side is losing the campaign to win over hearts and minds, in what has become an existential battle of wits.

PDP offers N1m to Instigate Student Protest against Amaechi

Governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi has escaped what would have been an eye-catching student protest against him in London.

Seeing that the governor is to deliver a paper at the Chatham House on Reform and Resource Governance, some politicians loyal to his opponents recently visited a hospitalised member of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Michael Okechukwu Chindah, in a London hospital, and then exploited the opportunity to attempt to instigate a London revolt against him.

They therefore approached and offered financial inducements to students of Rivers State origin studying in the UK, but they were shocked that the students turned the offer down.

The Rivers State politicians initially offered the leadership of the students a bribe of £1,500 (N375,000) during the meeting at the Four Seasons Hotel, Park Lane, London. But after the rejection, they then upped the bribe to £4,000 (N1m), which the students also rejected, saying they would not protest against Amaechi, whose scholarship they have enjoyed.

The bribe move filtered to the outside world after attempts to bribe some of the Rivers State students on Amaechi’s Special Overseas Scholarship. The students also rejected the offer but made sure not to keep mum on the matter.

Some of those who offered bribe are said to be a serving junior federal minister, a former deputy speaker of the Federal House of Representatives, a factional chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and former a Commissioner for Finance.

In a related development, the embattled governor has urged a Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt to restrain Chief Judge of the state from constituting any panel to investigate any notice of allegation presented by the House of Assembly, unless the request is in compliance with Sub-sections 2, 3 and 4 of Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.

In the suit, the governor’s counsel, Chief Lateef Fagbemi (SAN) prayed for an order of the court setting aside any notice of allegation to initiate the removal proceedings of the state Assembly, conducted in connection with the conceived removal from office of the claimant by less than 22 members out of the 32 members constituting the state Assembly.

Similarly, he wants the court to void any removal from office conducted outside the Rivers State House of Assembly/Parliament building situate on Moscow Road, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, which is the official address of the state Assembly for the conduct of the official and legislative duties of the House.

He asked that any proceedings of the state House of Assembly, initiated by less than 11 members, which is one-third of members of the House and passed or conducted by less than 21 out of the 30 members of the House, which is two third of the members of the House in connection or in relation to the commencement of impeachment proceedings against the claimant be declared unconstitutional, null and void and of no effect whatsoever.

Among his other prayers are “a declaration that in interpreting Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution as amended, the phrase, members of the House of Assembly includes the members of the House of Assembly, who are on suspension from the House.

“That they are not excluded in the computation of either one-third or two-thirds majority of the members of the House of Assembly for the purpose of exercising the constitutional powers to remove the claimant from office as Governor of Rivers State pursuant to Subsections 2,4 and 9 of section 188 of the 1999 Constitution as amended.”

While Mr. Emanuel Ukala (SAN), counsel to the five renegade lawmakers applied to be joined in the suit, it was opposed by Mr. Olusola Dare, who represented Fagbemi (SAN).

Trial judge, Justice George Omereji adjourned the matter till July 30, for hearing.

Source

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Maxymilliano(m): 9:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
As a playback of the Westminster, London Protest by pockets of Nigerians and some hired Asians and North Africans two months ago, another group of Nigerians today carried placards on the street of London.

Precisely, Eighteen (18) Nigerians living in the United Kingdom, mostly Rivers State students who are on Government scholarships and some hired North Africans were Protesting this time, for Governor Amaechi's against the Nigerian Government.

These Young Nigerians where paid £4,000 (N1.04 Million) per person to appear at CHATHAM HOUSE in solidarity with the Governor.

The Protesters claimed that Governor Amaechi is the true face of Nigerian Democracy and they are solidly behind his struggles.

Amaechi's struggles includes his fight against PDP in Rivers state and Abuja, The President, Mr Wike, Police Commissioner, Opposition Governors Forum, Mrs Jonathan, State Chief Justice, Local Government Chairmen, Some State Lawmakers and other group opposing his ambition to be a Vice President

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by tomakint: 9:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
Who are those moronic diasporans? Where were they when the yamhead dictator was running Rivers State like an Emperor you MUST listen to? Too many clowns sprouting from nowhere lately undecided he mistook this Jonathan of today as the Jonathan of the then Bayelsa! He cannot dare Obasanjo like that, anyway, 2015 on my mind! Amaechi better cross-carpet to his APC now instead of this charade he is dabbling into!

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 24, 2013
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
Maxymilliano: As a playback of the Westminster, London Protest by pockets of Nigerians and some hired Asians and North Africans two months ago, another group of Nigerians today carried placards on the street of London.

Precisely, Eighteen (18) Nigerians living in the United Kingdom, mostly Rivers State students who are on Government scholarships and some hired North Africans were Protesting this time, for Governor Amaechi's against the Nigerian Government.

These Young Nigerians where paid £4,000 (N1.04 Million) per person to appear at CHATHAM HOUSE in solidarity with the Governor.

The Protesters claimed that Governor Amaechi is the true face of Nigerian Democracy and they are solidly behind his struggles.

Amaechi's struggles includes his fight against PDP in Rivers state and Abuja, The President, Mr Wike, Police Commissioner, Opposition Governors Forum, Mrs Jonathan, State Chief Justice, Local Government Chairmen, Some State Lawmakers and other group opposing his ambition to be a Vice President

Interesting. I see your unamed source even gives credit to the Reuters news agency for this particular story grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by atlwireles: 10:28pm On Jul 24, 2013
Ola Johnson: The attack on this man only makes him more popular than those who attack him and occupy higher posts.

His popularity will not exceed Atiku, Who later became president in Nigeria. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by ssii: 10:33pm On Jul 24, 2013
tomakint: Who are those moronic diasporans? Where were they when the yamhead dictator was running Rivers State like an Emperor you MUST listen to? Too many clowns sprouting from nowhere lately undecided he mistook this Jonathan of today as the Jonathan of the then Bayelsa! He cannot dare Obasanjo like that, anyway, 2015 on my mind! Amaechi better cross-carpet to his APC now instead of this charade he is dabbling into!
Haters keep hating... I hope your hatred does not give you hypertension soon.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by ssii: 10:35pm On Jul 24, 2013
atlwireles:

His popularity will not exceed Atiku, Who later became president in Nigeria. grin grin grin grin grin
Amaechi is not Atiku.
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by tomakint: 11:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
atlwireles:

Chai we still have people who reason here, you too funny my guy just leave those clowns (APC/ACN e-thugs alone)

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by musiwa35: 11:33pm On Jul 24, 2013
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by bloggernaija: 12:00am On Jul 25, 2013
I have told whomever want to hear,amaechi is the fourth most strategically thinking politician in nigeria ,after tinubu ,fashola and ogbeni .i mean in the way they approach governance.
I am not from rivers but I am very conversant with the place.
this guys has close to 10000 rivers state indigens on scholarships in the uk,USA,Australia and Canada .
Both undergraduate and post graduate.
To prevent the program from being hijacked and polluted by stupid and idiotic politicians,he created their own mini scholarship for them to fight over
He handed the administration of the main scholarship program to an expatriate firm.this is strictly based on merit .
A lot of this kids will be employed directly into the oil industry from these foreign universities .many will come back equipped with the necessary skills to compete.
The guy is pushing his state to move to the punching weight of the south west where many do not even bother with jamb but apply directly to foreign universities.Meanwhile some other ones are building hotels ,chasing rumours,sponsoring pilgrimages and weddings .

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Clerverly: 12:21am On Jul 25, 2013
I said it, the international communities only listen to people like Wole Soyinka who have worked selflessly to garner reputation over the years not political peverts like retardeen and his mannerless dunce. I wouldn't be surprise if the uk govt joined the protest. Onye akpala nwa agu aka n'odu ma odi ndu ma onwuru anwu! Amaechi, nwa amuru na Isreal udo diri gi! grin

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 25, 2013
atlwireles:

Atiku became president, in your dream?
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 25, 2013
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by tomakint: 11:37am On Jul 25, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Atiku became president, in your dream?
What happened to sarcasm? You don't seem to get his drift, do you? undecided
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 25, 2013
icon8: 500 primary schools built in 5 years? 300 students sent to the UK and Canada on scholarship every year?? I think he's a firm believer of the saying "Education is the best legacy"! Not bad in my opinion.
and yes they send students to Canada. There are some students from Rivers in my school who are on Rivers scholarship. Good job Amaechi.
Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by bigx(m): 3:16pm On Jul 25, 2013
It is expected, when Odili was giving scholarships, it was to Malaysia, India, Russia, Ukraine and the likes.

Amaechi gives them to the top 20 schools in the US, UK and Canada.

I guess the case against him is envy and a feeling of inadequacy.

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 25, 2013
icon8: 500 primary schools built in 5 years? 300 students sent to the UK and Canada on scholarship every year?? I think he's a firm believer of the saying "Education is the best legacy"! Not bad in my opinion.
Bro use ur brain. 300 students sent to UK and only 18 were seen with placard, what about the remaining 282? Or they traveled as their Governor was set for the visit? And pls apart from this imaginary 500 mordern schools he built what other outstanding achievement can he boast of? See, I hate politics cos its founded on lies.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by CrimzP(m): 3:40pm On Jul 25, 2013
Most of our Governors are hypocrites. They don't want to be controlled by the Presidency, yet they are the once lobbying and giving money to our senators not to pass LGA autonomy so that they can always control the chairmen. I wonder how Amaechi would deal with a LG chairman that rises up against him.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by icon8: 4:00pm On Jul 25, 2013
babe_online:
and yes they send students to Canada. There are some students from Rivers in my school who are on Rivers scholarship. Good job Amaechi.

Ok!
Now we know you school in Canada!!
Next

1 Like

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by icon8: 4:02pm On Jul 25, 2013
Ishsoph: Bro use ur brain. 300 students sent to UK and only 18 were seen with placard, what about the remaining 282? Or they traveled as their Governor was set for the visit? And pls apart from this imaginary 500 mordern schools he built what other outstanding achievement can he boast of? See, I hate politics cos its founded on lies.

I should use my brain

1 Like

Re: Rivers Diasporans Turn-up To Support Amaechi In London by dayokanu(m): 4:10pm On Jul 25, 2013
ROTIMI Amaechi

Always the voice of reason

No wonder illiterates hate him

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Buhari Delivers First Eid-el-kabir Message / Rivers Golden Jubilee Celebration To Gulp N1.5 Billion / Fuel Scarcity: Senate Summons Kachikwu, Nnpc’s GMD, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.