Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Blockbuster Atuegbu Is Dead! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Blockbuster Atuegbu Is Dead! (1528 Views)

BREAKING: Olorogun Felix Ibru Is Dead / Hakila Yerima Is Dead (SDP Governorship Candidate In Adamawa) / Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Blockbuster Atuegbu Is Dead! by OsunAmazon: 6:22pm On May 26, 2008
Blockbuster Atuegbu is dead!
Written by Tony Ubani
Monday, May 26, 2008
ONE of Nigeria’s greatest all time footballer, Aloysius Atuegbu, nicknamed Blockbuster for his ferocious shots that Goalkeepers dodged from is dead. The news of Atuegbu’s death is as shocking as the myth surrounding his power-play in the Green Eagles and Rangers International of Enugu. One version of the news had it that Atuegbu was traveling to Ilorin to watch the Kwara United and Bayelsa United as the Nigerian domestic League comes to an end.

Late Aloysius Atuegbu

A source who called our hotline said that the vehicle in which Atuegbu was traveling developed a fault and all the passengers alighted. Atuegbu , too, alighted from the vehicle not knowing what fate had for him. He collapsed and died. Another source said that the former Mighty Jets of Jos player died early in the morning after a brief illness. But the Nigeria Football League, authenticated the death of the stocky player as they observed a minute’s silence in all League venues as a mark of respect and honour to him. Our own Patrick Omorodion sent a terse message that a minute’s silence was observed for Aloy Agu.

I passed the message on to Group Sports Editor who was banging away on his laptop. Anibeze after reading the sms remained transfixed like one who was electrocuted. He bowed his head for some seconds before making calls to confirm that indeed, the Blockbuster, was dead. Former Super Eagles Coach and Captain, and Captain of Rangers International when Aloy was unleashing terror with his dreadful shots, Christian Chukwu was equally shocked when Onochie called him. He said that he was making calls to confirm after NFL observed a minute’s silence in their match against Niger Tornadoes in Minna. He said that Emmanuel Okala was the first to inform him of the death of Atuegbu who has had stints with virtually all the youth teams of Nigeria and was a coach in Kebbi.

Former Vice Chairman of the Nigeria Football Association, NFA, Barrister Nwabufor Obienu was alarmed when we called him. He said he would make calls but said that it would be sad to lose him. NFA’s Image Maker, Demola Olajire was shell-shocked when we called him. He said that he saw Atuegbu on Friday in his Office in Abuja and could not believe that he could die like that. “He was hale and hearty. I am still making calls as it could be one of the Atuegbus.

It is sad if it is him because he was truly what we called him-Blockbuster, as he helped Nigeria to win her first Nations Cup in 1980. He was also at one time coach of our U-17 team. Honestly, I am yet to recover from the shock. But I still pray that it turns out to be another person and not Blockbuster. It’s sad”, Olajire wept on the line.

Dr Felix Owolabi, Atuegbu’s mate in the then Green Eagles said that Atuegbu communicated last with NFL Scribe, Yakmut that he was going to Ilorin to watch a league match. It turned out to be his last as he could not even get to the venue. “It is sad that Aloy died at this time we are trying to reform Nigerian football. And we would have needed his vast experience. Death is death and it awaits everybody. I’m pained but I pray to God to grant his family the fortitude to bear the loss and welcome him into his eternal glory”, Owolabi also known for his lethal left leg in the Green Eagles with Aloy said.

They were all teammates in the Green Eagles. And as they say, death usually comes too early or too late and if don’t think about death, you won’t appreciate life.

(1) (Reply)

Don't Be Fooled By *jona/*comfort / Desert Encroachment May Wipe Away Northern Nigeria – Ngos / Ekwueme 419 Nigerian Cartel Plc Under Siege

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.