Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? (6749 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Those Who Love Novels / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by hotangel2(f): 9:37pm On Jun 21, 2006
ify2love2:

you have not answered the question. Have you ever gotten into trouble because you are addicted to novels?

I did hun. Scroll up!

Uzygirl, I have that book. One book i actually BOUGHT. I can't read it, it smells Awful!!! And i mean that literally. I forced myself to read thru chapter one. I just stopped, I said, wtf!! Hell with it. Btw, it didn't get my attention that much.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uzygirl(f): 12:36pm On Jun 23, 2006
@Hot-angel, I started reading it because I didn't have anyother option, but after the first few chapters, the plot became gripping, and with good suspense too. If YOu can survive the beginning chapters, I guess you'll enjoy the rest, depending on your preferences though.
I have to start looking for a Zane. From what you guys have described, it is a must read.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uzygirl(f): 1:29pm On Jun 23, 2006
@ify2love2,
I can only imagine what that ogbonno soup would have looked like. And the rest of the family going to bed without dinner too. I've never had that kind of 'priviledge" myself ( ie, to keep my family hungry because of reading grin grin).

But when i was in secondary school, I was supposed to cook palm kernels and keep in the freezer in preparation for "banga" soup the for following day. After clearing the kitchen that night, I put on the pressure cooker, picked up a novel, and forgot all about what I was cooking!!!!

God saved us that day, because I left the cooker on overnight! The kerosine dried out in the stove and that's probably what helped, and the pressure cooker was damaged beyong repair.

I can still hear the ringing in my ears from the slap my mum gave me that day. I expected more beating oh, but both parents decided that being alive to dwell on the possible consequences of being absent minded when reading was enough for me.
But even that has not stopped me.cool
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by hotangel2(f): 1:44pm On Jun 23, 2006
Yeah girl, u should get a Zane book.

I love banga soup.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2006
When I saw all the hype being raised, I thought Zane was the Zane Grey I know -- author of Riders of the Purple Sage and The UP Trail. Turns out Zane is a Black American erotic author. . . that's definitely not up my alley sad sad sad sad
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Outkast(f): 3:44pm On Jul 17, 2006
lol @ Zahy,

@hot-angel, girl I've read all his books except Genevieve(that is Eric Jerome Dickey) Mary B's good too I have soul mates dissipate and somebody's gotta be on top, written by her.Kimberla Lawson, I must admit I've read just 1 of her books, I think it's called Family reunion/affair, can't really remember.Any title suggestions?

You should look up Donna hill-in my bedroom and books by Brenda Jackson, Francis Ray and E.Lyn Harris(He's this author that was abused by his father and his uncle growng up, well right now he's gay and most of his books reflect a gay lifestyle, they're interesting though, pick 1 up, you won't regret it)

@uzygirl, you'll enjoy the books
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by kheme(m): 10:00am On Jul 18, 2006
NOTHING!!! the thing is that, i'm not into novels! grin
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by iice(f): 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2006
Well aside frm usual lack of sleep, i have spent lotsa money on collecting novels of authors i like so i got lots of novels right now and piling up, runnin out of space here, bad thing is sometimes u dont see any book on an author u like so u pick a random author and u end up finding the novel is a piece of junk and u dnt knw how 2 get rid of it, yeah i got those in a bag stashed somewhere
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by shantell(f): 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2006
when i was back in nigeria i loved reading novels i could read it anywhere in d toilet on the assembly ground in school but when my family moved to spain they have limited books in english all of them are in spanish and they are not as interesting as reading it in english but i've read all the ones in english like 5 times especially the romance ones wink smiley
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by shawna(f): 9:30pm On Jul 23, 2006
am so obsessed with novel reading that i read pratically everywhere on the road, in the toilet m dad gets really pissed when he finds out am reading a novel in the toilet and he gets especially pissed if he sees me reading romance novels(he hasnt come to terms with the fact that his daughter is growing up lol)or books like harry potter he says they are witchcraft books
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by shantell(f): 9:30pm On Jul 23, 2006
yeah and once i got in to trouble with a teacher back in nigeria i was reading one big sillowhette and i used a paper to cover the front cos it wasn't really good and i wrote eze goes to school on it and when my teacher asked me "nancy whats this , i said its eze goes to school miss, then she was like hmmmm , i just kept starring at her looking soo innocent¨{i got dis innocent look dat even the coldest heart will melt lol wink} then she was like ok you can go i know u are not capable of reading al those books that jumoke and the rest reads, after that i became very careful
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by shawna(f): 9:33pm On Jul 23, 2006
lol i always getting trouble with my teachers too because i get so hooked on the book am reading i hardly pay any attention in class i usually get detention if my teacher catches me reading in class
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 9:38pm On Jul 23, 2006
We could form the Nairaland Book Freaks Club grin grin.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by shawna(f): 9:42pm On Jul 23, 2006
we are not freaks we are special tongue
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 9:43pm On Jul 23, 2006
Freaks are special, because they're not like anyone else. cheesy cheesy
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by shawna(f): 9:45pm On Jul 23, 2006
whatever Zah so u want to tell me u dont like reading books
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 10:01pm On Jul 23, 2006
shawna:

whatever Zah so u want to tell me u don't like reading books

I fyou've followed my replies from the beginning of the thread, you'll know I'm a very avid reader.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by shawna(f): 8:46am On Jul 24, 2006
Zahymaka:

I fyou've followed my replies from the beginning of the thread, you'll know I'm a very avid reader.

i rest my case u're now a member of the Nairaland Book Freaks Club
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uzygirl(f): 2:02pm On Jul 31, 2006
The freaks club would not be as bad as a Nerds Club and the name definately sounds bettert than Bookworms!!! or does it? who is a freak anyway?
:-B
To all the book lovers (or is it freaks) in nairaland, More oil to your wheels.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by hotangel2(f): 5:55am On Nov 22, 2006
@ Outkast.

I wish i had seen your reply since.

Well i already am a Brenda Jackson fan. I'm soo into her books now. I'm trying to finish the story on "the madaris" family. I want to read all the series. SO much drama from those people, especially the madaris brother. Btw, Christy reminds me of me in a way. Brenda jackson has a lot of book which she wrote with people. You know the likes of "living large" e.t.c.
Although some of her books like "the playa's handbook" and "No more playas" where written mainly by her. I love everything she's written so far. I can wait to get my hands on "secret Lovers". hmmm, She's good.

Ohh and uhm E. Lynn harris, i read one of his books. I's called "A love of my own". I liked it.

I got into reading some of the stories by francis ray, in the books he wrote with Brenda jackson. You should read "welcome to leo's" And "Lets get it on".

Boy ohh boy, i love me some good book.

Please don't forget about the almighty Carl Weber. Now you know that has gotta be the best drama/love stories writer. That man can twist your head and make you want to read his books all over again.
You'll start questioning yourself whether you had missed something in the begining. lol

You should read "married men" And then the follow up "Player haters". Those books are superb.
Don't forget to read "The preacher's son" By him, and also "so you call yourself a man".
Carl is a genius i must say.

Another person i like is RM jackson. You should read "dating games" By him. The man is good, and i need to read all his books now. As soon as im done with brenda, i'll pounce on him. Brenda has too many books though.

@ Zah, Zane grey is soo not ZANE. lol. . .
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uchetobi(f): 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2006
I remember my mum used to be so mad at me cuz when I start I cant stop. I used to evade house chores like crazy. Anyways now that I wotrk full time I don’t have that much time to read again but I read in traffic (in the bus). My favorite author really is Judith Krantz author of mistrals daughter, princess daisy, il take mahanttan, scruples 1 and 2. The woman is just the bomb. I also like Danielle Steele, John Grisham, Sidney Sheldon. I remember the days I used to do M and B like shit. Mehn iv read a lot of novels in my life time. Still have a lot. Who can remember flowers in the attic and petals in the wind?
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by iice(f): 2:11pm On Dec 01, 2006
@uchetobi, gosh the V.C. Andrews' Flowers in the attic was really heart wrenching, i remembered those books from secondary school and i had to just get them, so i have the whole saga now lol. Yeah i used to read M&Bs in secondary school coz there were no other books circulating the school.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uchetobi(f): 4:28pm On Dec 01, 2006
Shey? I remember the addiction to m&b. anytime I read them now (2.30hrs max). I just smile cuz its all the same story line. But what the heck. It was fun. Still is. But the bigger ones are more worthy of my while
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by zukkie4eva(f): 5:28pm On Feb 06, 2008
I used to love to make friends with people who had lots of novels. It was a quality i looked out for in any friendship. . . . funny yeah??,

I was a novel fREAK!!, i lived in the world of novels!! shocked shocked shocked I used to Imagine i lived in "Sweet Valley" and was friends with Jessica & Elizabeth of Sweet Valley High. I never liked romance novels, but loved Keepsakes, Baby-sitters' club (i think i read almost all d episodes) , Nancy Drew, Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers', St. Claires', e.t.c. I never got caught for reading indiscriminately tho, i guess i was lucky.

My love for reading kinda dwindled over the years . . . . . thanks to my very busy lifestyle!!! undecided
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by mohawkchic(f): 6:31pm On Feb 06, 2008
~It was hard enough hiding Temptations & Mills N Boon from my ma ~the covers werent deceiving anyone either!!

~My love for Enid Blton~Sweet valley high was long dwindled,i was more intrigued with reading romance novels & that was defo a No-No!!

~The nites i spent under the covers w/ touchlight reading these novels,thank God my eyesight is still intact!! They were in such high demand u had to get it back to who ever borrowed u as the book would have passed through God knows how many hands already!!

~I remember the first time my ma caught me w/ one. . . she'd warned me,i wasnt old enough to read these books! I must ave been nine/ten & i was never to be seen w/ one again,i was so defiant this made me want to read more & more,i cudnt get them off the library so i had to rely on other kids in school to borrow!!

~Suffice to say after i'd been warned by my mum,the next time she caught me w/ a temptation novel which was prolly less thn a week after i was warned grin,she didnt hesitate to tear it apart, shocked TROUBLE!!! People book!!! i wasnt going to own up to say my ma tore the book,i cudnt come up w/ any reasonable excuse/reasons for me not returning the book either,noow the boy who borrowed me this book was having serious pressures from who ever borrowed him,they ended up coming to my house shocked shocked shocked, Aaah wan die!!! that was the first i experienced EMBARASSMENT cry ,did i mention i had a crush on this boy ,my ma slapped me in front of this boy & co. shocked shocked gave them such a scare,lol,it wasnt funny then u knw,she strictly warned them not to borrow me any novels!!!

~I cudnt avoid facing Hilary that was his name,we were in the same class,i avoided eye contact w/him,that was a shame,because i really liked him wink wondered if he ever told anyone about my ma's reaction, undecided i never spoke to him about it. . .my ma paid for the book,But it wudnt be the only book she'll tear apart,hard as i tried to find a hiding place she always finds them,it got to a point i thought she must have some magic i wasnt aware of,i bet she prolly use to hide in the same places i did . . . anyhow she tore evry novel she found N wait for the owners to show up grin by then i'd learned my lesson not to borrow off people who knew where i lived wink

~Needless to say i was mostly paying for some torn~up book w/ my lunch {bribe},personal stuff ma ma wudnt notice missing,N on a few occassion my allowance that is~ if the owners were adamant N i wanted to avoid another slap grin or cellotaping the ones that were just torn in the middle!!

~It was all worth it thu,i'd do it again wink
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uchetobi(f): 2:06pm On Feb 20, 2008
The luv of novel caused me to STEAL. Yes I stole lots of novels from people when I was in boarding house (secondary skl) if u r reading and fall asleep or leave ur novel lying carelessly I’l pick ur book and put in my box. Used 2 go home on hols with at least 5 books, read dem den return dem d next term, put dem under people’s pillows or where they can find it. Let me say at dis point dat lots of my own personal novel got missing 2 in skl(I used 2 buy more than I borrow or steal). Anyways I hardly have time 4 novels right now cuz of work, but I have over 500 at home, plus I still buy. I have about 8 iv bought but haven’t read. Oops I 4got 2 add, haven’t stolen any since I left sec skl. LOL
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by dancinbaby: 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2008
is like we er related
grin
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by ayeesha: 3:43pm On Mar 07, 2008
hmmm, God will help me when it comes to novels. at a point, my father got tired of scolding me over them. i read when eating, in the loo, when cooking and even when watching tv* like when they break up for adverts* i thought i would have reduced my passion for reading novels now that i`m working but for where?, my boss has caught me a couple of times when i was supposed to be working but he has gotten used to it that all he does now is give me the eye and go his way. he says he cannot understand me at all. even my guy,who i`ve gotten addicted to novels sometimes complains, esp when he wants to lipsrsealed and i keep telling him to "pls wait , let me just finish this chapter". during my secondary school days, i hide novels in between my textbooks while classes were going on.
there was this day i had to kneel down for over thirty minutes. we had chemistry class and as usuall, i was lost in the world of m&b. unfortunately for me while talking, the teacher was walking round the class and ended behind my desk! since that day, i stopped reading in class * only chemistry classes sha*
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Mar 09, 2008
The highest point in my life was to spend most of my pocket money (starving myself shocked)on renting romance novels, this was after high school!!!!!!!!!!!

It all started in primary school, then it was fairy tale stories and Nigerian story books like the drum, Ifeanyi and Obi etc. This initiated the madness for novels. My elder sister just got into high school and she brought back novels with her, like the gremlins and Little women. The annoying thing was that she didn't want me to read them, so she hid them angry. But I found and stole those books, though she caught me various times, I was driven by a force to read all cool cheesy. Mills and Boon, harlequin, silhoutte, mingled their way into my life and I was stuck through out high school not forgetting James Hardley Chase  kiss

I will confess, I stole some books from friends and non friends!!! embarassed Especially when we neared vacation periods in school. I had to do it because, I knew that there was no way I would have any association with the outside world during holidays, so I had to keep myself company. cool
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Gamine(f): 9:02pm On Mar 09, 2008
I stole books.
i quarreled and argued with people.
i lied.
too mush sins o lipsrsealed

it was worth it jare.lol tongue
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by lucabrasi(m): 12:16am On Mar 15, 2008
missing classes to be in the library while in secondary schl gettn me in trouble with geography and mathematics teachers.not driving to london from manchester and opting for the train and its attendant inconviniences to read novels and blaming myself when rushing for the underground lol
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uzygirl(f): 12:41am On Apr 04, 2008
I was trying to introduce an old school friend to nairaland and showed her this thread.
I couldn't believe the number of people who have the same 'symptoms' as I do,
we could all be somehow related and not even know it cry

Some say the situation improves as one gets older and becomes more serious.
I don't know about you guys but mine seems to be improving the other way round
I have to submit my thesis next month and have not written chapter 2 yet.
I'm hooked on a Dean Koontz, and I can't or won't stop till I'm through.
Am I ok?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shadows! / PHOTOS: Chimamanda Adichie Receives Honorary Degree From University Of London / The President ’ S Daughter And I (18 +) By Phemmyjnr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.