Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,620 members, 7,847,598 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:51 PM

Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria (25411 Views)

What Is The Prospect Of The Science Laboratory Technologist In Nigeria? / Any Hope For Food Scientist/technologist In Nigeria? / How Lucrative Is Food Scientist/technologist In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 9:54am On Sep 25, 2013
There is ALWAYS d place of God in whatever you will achieve both in and out of school and the earlier you realize that, the better and easier things will be for you. Commit everything 2 Him and you will be surprised @ how far u will go in life 'cos u'll end up doing things u never thought u were capable of.
So with God, I had mostly A's in all my engineering courses. Some B's and C's one or 2 D's and one F throughout school. I failed a course 'cos no matter how difficult, I do not cheat or ask questions in d exam hall. As God would have it, I graduated with a 2-1.
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 10:16am On Sep 25, 2013
I searched 4 jobs after NYSC which wasnt forthcoming and so, I went for my masters since i do not like being idle. This was like one year after service. As God would have it, the month I concluded my M.Sc, as I was packing my bags, preparing to travel back home, I got a call 2 resume @ d place where I work presently. You do not need to bother yourself about the labour market or how you will secure a good job after you graduate. That is none of your business it is God's business. Your own business is 2 study hard and make a good grade in school while putting God first in all you do.
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 10:19am On Sep 25, 2013
I hope I have been able 2 answer some of your questions. Let me know if there are other things you still want me to explain
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 25, 2013
4tunebest: I searched 4 jobs after NYSC which wasnt forthcoming and so, I went for my masters since i do not like being idle. This was like one year after service. As God would have it, the month I concluded my M.Sc, as I was packing my bags, preparing to travel back home, I got a call 2 resume @ d place where I work presently. You do not need to bother yourself about the labour market or how you will secure a good job after you graduate. That is none of your business it is God's business. Your own business is 2 study hard and make a good grade in school while putting God first in all you do.

sis ride on we are with you wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 25, 2013
4tunebest, i want to appreciate you for all that you have shared with us, thanks so much, i have learnt greatly from you, it is true that some seniors try to scare us, but i believe all things are possible, through Christ that strenghtens us, i wanted to ask you what is the name of the company you work in
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 25, 2013
Afunkybaby: 4tunebest, i want to appreciate you for all that you have shared with us, thanks so much, i have learnt greatly from you, it is true that some seniors try to scare us, but i believe all things are possible, through Christ that strenghtens us, i wanted to ask you what is the name of the company you work in
yea and please add whats her role in the company? what is daily work schedule like?
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 11:16am On Sep 25, 2013
I work in a fruit juice processing company that makes use of Tetrapak technology. I will not like to disclose the name 4 reasons known 2 me. I work as a Quality Control personnel and physico-chemical analyst. These are 2 similar but different roles. Physico-chemical analysis is a quality control measure, but not all measures of quality control involve physico-chemical analysis. I hope you understand what I mean. As the name implies, quality control involves controlling the quality of products manufactured. To achieve this involves a wide range of activities. You have to control the quality of raw materials supplied to the company by ensuring that it is up to the required standard or specification. This involves carrying out several tests and analysis like moisture content of dry products, total solids, protein content, etc. Depending on the type of material. If your results are within the specification, then you can accept the batch; but if not, then you have to reject the supply because a substandard raw material will produce a substandard product
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 11:30am On Sep 25, 2013
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 11:30am On Sep 25, 2013
Then you also have to control the quality of products during processing by checking the packaging material to ensure that it is well sealed. It also involves chemical analysis of the content to ensure that the brix(%of dissolved sugar ), pH, acidity, etc are all within the specification.
Finally the final products are analysed after a specified number of days to watchout for any deterioration in quality before they are released to the market. My duties are much more than these, but I have tried to summarize
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 25, 2013
4tunebest: Then you also have to control the quality of products during processing by checking the packaging material to ensure that it is well sealed. It also involves chemical analysis of the content to ensure that the brix(%of dissolved sugar ), pH, acidity, etc are all within the specification.
Finally the final products are analysed after a specified number of days to watchout for any deterioration in quality before they are released to the market. My duties are much more than these, but I have tried to summarize

Thanks for your concern, may God continue to elevate you, do you guys assay microbial culture of this fruit juice, i actually have assayed a lot of Nigerian brands of fruit juice in my school laboratory, i usually find out that this fruit juice but not all batches but most time we isolate bacterial colonies, thou i cannot say for such whether its contamination from our side or in the factory.
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 12:01pm On Sep 25, 2013
Yes Emzybrown we also carry out microbial analysis of raw materials supplied and the final products. It is also a quality control measure and equally important
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
thanks so much for sharing all these information with we fst students, God will continue to strengthen and bless you, i pray people like you would come and share their experiences with us like you did,@4tunebest. But i have one more question for you for now, though salary is not everything, but there are times when graduates go for interviews and they are asked how much do u want us to pay you, so for now what do you think the salary structure for fst graduates is like, for IT, entry level, graduate trainee, graduates, masters level e.t.c
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
Food science n technology is a very interesting course with wide applications both home n overseas.

The first thing a food tech student need is idea. You don't have to finish school and work under someone.
If u reaally understand wht food tech is about, its about insights, foresights.
A career person can start by establishing a mini plant. You can start by producing flours. That explains why every food science student has to go through product development.
You don't have to work for anyone but yourself. That's entrepreneurship

I know most people will begin to think and say money, finance might be a problem. But the real truth is money is never a problem. If u have a good business plan then money is never a problem.

You shouldn just limit urself to the things u r being taught in class. Go online, research.
You can begin to make awesome packaging designs. Its starts with ur mind, brain n pen. Approach one of this companies with ur designs n watch wonders unfold.

As a food technologist u r not only limited to the lab. So it pains me when pple go tru stress to study n get stuck in the lab.

Till you swim out of ur comfort zone to go with the tides and maximizze ur full potentials, u just won't realise wht u are capable of
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
candygosh: Food science n technology is a very interesting course with wide applications both home n overseas.

The first thing a food tech student need is idea. You don't have to finish school and work under someone.
A career person can start by establishing a mini plant. You can start by producing flours. That explains why every food science student has to go through product development.

I know most people will begin to think and say money, finance might be a problem. But the real truth is money is never a problem. If u have a good business plan then money is never a problem.

You shouldn just limit urself to the things u r being taught in class. Go online, research.
You can begin to make awesome packaging designs. Its starts with ur mind, brain n pen. Approach one of this companies with ur designs n watch wonders unfold.

As a food technologist u r not only limited to the lab. So it pains me when pple go tru stress to study n get stuck in the lab.

Till you swim out of ur comfort zone to go with the tides and maximizze ur full potentials, u just won't realise wht u are capable of
Thanks so much for that advice candygosh.
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
candygosh: Food science n technology is a very interesting course with wide applications both home n overseas.

Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
God bless this thread, what a great advice so far, we need more insights, one thing i know in life is not to walk alone, your little advice can give us hopes to achieve our great potentials, so sad we dont or rather i dont know of a reasonable Nigerian career websites, that is able to attract professionals.
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
Candygosh is right and thankfully I am not limited to or stuck in the Lab as she puts it. My M.Sc project is also a source of income for me. That is where the research she mentions come in. However, you do not need to wait 4 your B.sc or M.sc to achieve that. All you have to do is key into the wide range of information available on the internet. Like I said earlier what I do is wide, both in and out of work but I have tried to summarize it. And of course creativity and innovation is key
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2013
Emzybrown: God bless this thread, what a great advice so far, we need more insights, one thing i know in life is not to walk alone, your little advice can give us hopes to achieve our great potentials, so sad we dont or rather i dont know of a reasonable Nigerian career websites, that is able to attract professionals.

Haven't you heard of Linked in?
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by 4tunebest(f): 4:39pm On Sep 25, 2013
Afunkybaby: thanks so much for sharing all these information with we fst students, God will continue to strengthen and bless you, i pray people like you would come and share their experiences with us like you did,@4tunebest. But i have one more question for you for now, though salary is not everything, but there are times when graduates go for interviews and they are asked how much do u want us to pay you, so for now what do you think the salary structure for fst graduates is like, for IT, entry level, graduate trainee, graduates, masters level e.t.c
The salary structure is relatively okay and gets better with your years of experience. For IT students, it depends on the company. Some pay 5k, 10K, 20, etc. While some do not pay anything @ all(not common)
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
4tunebest:
The salary structure is relatively okay and gets better with your years of experience. For IT students, it depends on the company. Some pay 5k, 10K, 20, etc. While some do not pay anything @ all(not common)
thanks, but 4tunebest tell me how can i use linkedin, emzybrown thanks for your contributions
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 25, 2013
Afunkybaby: thanks, but 4tunebest tell me how can i use linkedin, emzybrown thanks for your contributions
checkout www.linkedin.com am already on LinkedIn, registered today
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:23am On Sep 26, 2013
[quote author=Emzybrown]
checkout www.linkedin.com am already on LinkedIn, registered today[/quote mj] ok thanks emzybrown
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 27, 2013
here for everyone.http://link.springer.com/journal/13197 to read journals on food science and technology.

http://turnavisual.com/account-signup/ to book an online free demo and begin ur packaging designs.

http://edufive.com/seminartopics/food-technology.html get seminar topics here

http://www.nzifst.org.nz/unitoperations/matlenerg.htm this website come in handy for courses such as food proccessing, unit operations, food engineering

I'd be back to update
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 27, 2013
To learn more on food science n technology.
http://blog.ngcareers.com/1139/career-and-job-opportunities-for-food-science-and-technology-graduates-in-nigeria/

For aspirants and already students
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 27, 2013
thanks candygosh
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Hormoniyi(m): 4:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
its gud 2 see thread like dis, afunkybaby am also a student frm oau studying food engineering.am currently on IT.
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by MrSinister(m): 6:46pm On Oct 09, 2013
Are you interested in food microbiology? Well the dearth of detailed & comprehensive texts in this field has been remedied by the production of an interactive & comprehensive CD rom. This CD rom contains all there is to know about food mcb at the undergraduate & postgraduate level.

Topics such as molecular genetics in food analysis, Bioassays in food science, HACCP & Fso system in Food safety, applied dairy microbiology & microbiology of alcoholic beverages and a host of other relevant topics in food microbiology are contained in this CD rom.

The CD rom cost 5K, but the first 10 people to order will get it at 3K. Call me 08158326395 or send me a pm to place an order.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 09, 2013
Tim was here.. Am repping F.S.T FUTO
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by marvelling(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
Mr.Sinister:
Are you interested in food microbiology? Well the dearth of detailed & comprehensive texts in this field has been remedied by the production of an interactive & comprehensive CD rom. This CD rom contains all there is to know about food mcb at the undergraduate & postgraduate level.

Topics such as molecular genetics in food analysis, Bioassays in food science, HACCP & Fso system in Food safety, applied dairy microbiology & microbiology of alcoholic beverages and a host of other relevant topics in food microbiology are contained in this CD rom.

The CD rom cost 5K, but the first 10 people to order will get it at 3K. Call me 08158326395 or send me a pm to place an order.

Wow shocked this CD is actually loaded! Thank God I bought it. If any of you here has interest in food microbiology I suggest you buy it. Its very detailed

1 Like

Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by MrSinister(m): 8:51pm On Oct 16, 2013
marvelling:

Wow shocked this CD is actually loaded! Thank God I bought it. If any of you here has interest in food microbiology I suggest you buy it. Its very detailed

ah! yes, marvelling. Thanks for confirming that am real. Nice doing business with you wink

@Afunkybaby am sorry for derailing your thread. Pls don't be angry. pm me your details let me send you a free (actually the last) copy of my CD grin
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
Mr.Sinister:

ah! yes, marvelling. Thanks for confirming that am real. Nice doing business with you wink

@Afunkybaby am sorry for derailing your thread. Pls don't be angry. pm me your details let me send you a free (actually the last) copy of my CD grin
so what about me, i am still a student and i cant afford the price smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Thread For Food Scientist& Technologist In All Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria by MrSinister(m): 10:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
cowleg:
so what about me, i am still a student and i cant afford the price smiley smiley smiley smiley

How much are you willing to pay for it? I can give you a watered down version since you are an undergraduate. Somethings on that CD are relevant only to postgraduate students. Just pm me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] / Not Been Paid For 22 Months Now; Expert Advice Needed / N60,000 Monthly Job Or Uber?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.