Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God (707 Views)

– Man Who Shot South African Lucky Dube Says He Thought He Was A Nigerian. / Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Not Worship A God Who Is Homophobic' / Desmond Tutu: Bush & Blair Should Face Trial At The Hague (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by pappy2000: 11:31am On Jul 27, 2013
South African peace icon Desmond Tutu has said he would rather go to hell than worship a homophobic God, likening the fight against gay prejudice to the anti-apartheid struggle.

Tutu made the comments on Friday at the launch of a United Nations gay equality campaign in Cape Town.

"I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place," the retired archbishop said.

"I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this," he said, condemning the use of religious justification for anti-gay prejudice.

Launched by the UN Human Rights Office, the public education campaign "Free and Equal" aims to raise awareness of anti-gay violence and discrimination.

Tutu, a Nobel laureate, compared the project to the fight South Africans waged to end the former white racist minority rule, a struggle in which he played a pivotal role.

"I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level," the 81-year-old said.

Navi Pillay, head of the UN rights agency and herself South African, said same-sex relationships were illegal in more than a third of countries around the world and punishable by death in five.

'Worst cases'

Even in countries where gay rights are upheld challenges remain, she said, noting that South Africa has "some of the worst cases of homophobic violence" despite having some of the world's best legal protections.

The country has seen brutal, deadly attacks on lesbians, who also risk falling victim to what is known as "corrective rape", which involves sexual assaults by men who claim they can change their victims' sexual orientation to heterosexuality.

A South African lesbian was last month found dead, having been sexually assaulted with a toilet brush.

"People are literally paying for their love with their lives," said Pillay.

The campaign, which aims to push for legal reforms and public education against homophobia, will have a strong focus on working with governments.

"I constantly hear governments tell me 'but this is our culture, our tradition and we can't change it'... So we have lots of work to do," said Pillay.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/07/201372619342804519.html

4 Likes

Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by princesammmy: 11:34am On Jul 27, 2013
you are lost
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by Bigcake: 11:39am On Jul 27, 2013
Its obvious that ''Nobel Laureate'' all over the world r mad people. Ask Soyinka and u will understand it better.
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 27, 2013
Bigcake: Its obvious that ''Nobel Laureate'' all over the world r mad people. Ask Soyinka and u will understand it better.
maybe they are wise people, idio.t! tsheww
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 27, 2013
Bigcake: Its obvious that ''Nobel Laureate'' all over the world r mad people. Ask Soyinka and u will understand it better.
I am telling you my brother.
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2013
babe_online:
maybe they are wise people, idio.t! tsheww
Don't get hurt and insult people when they say the obvious about your Lord Soyinka.
Don't act like market women.
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 27, 2013
maxwello.yg:

Don't get hurt and insult people when they say the obvious about your Lord Soyinka.
Don't act like market women.
see foo.l you have to watch your gutter mouth.

Wole Soyinka is not my Lord and I dont care about him since I have nothing to do with him.

Unlike majority of you guys that worship that man even after his death, I don't worship people.

As far as I am concerned you and ''bigcake'' are very st.upid.
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by pappy2000: 3:06pm On Jul 27, 2013
Behind all this good works of Archbishop of Cape town we now know he works for the devil
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 27, 2013
babe_online:
see foo.l you have to watch your gutter mouth.

Wole Soyinka is not my Lord and I dont care about him since I have nothing to do with him.

Unlike majority of you guys that worship that man even after his death, I don't worship people.

As far as I am concerned you and ''bigcake'' as very st.upid.
Bwahahahahahahahaha!
Re: Tutu Says He Cannot Worship 'homophobic' God by panafrican(m): 1:51am On Jul 28, 2013
President Mugabe was right to say that Desmond Tutu is an evil man.
Can Tutu go to his own village in South Africa and preach homosexuality?

(1) (Reply)

Video of Another Police Murder In The Self-proclaimed Land Of Justice-USA! / Asamoah Gyan Holding Press Conference To Deny He Used Rapper As Human Sacrifice / 27 Of President Mugabe’s Guards Have Been Suspended Over Embarrassing Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.