Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Not Worship A God Who Is Homophobic' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Not Worship A God Who Is Homophobic' (581 Views)

Photos: Archbishop Desmond Tutu's Daughter Weds Her Lesbian Partner...and He Was / Ben Carson On US Muslim Presidency: "I Would Not Advocate That" / Desmond Tutu: Bush & Blair Should Face Trial At The Hague (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Not Worship A God Who Is Homophobic' by ommo(m): 1:34pm On Jul 28, 2013
I was flabbergasted when i came across news item on the internet concerning Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and i decided to post it here, this a "respectable" man of God, pl read:

[img][/img]
Desmond Tutu has said he would rather go to hell than worship a homophobic God.

The Nobel peace laureate and anti-apartheid hero was lending his support to a UN-backed campaign for gay rights in his native South Africa.

Though same sex marriages are legal in the country, homosexuals still experience brutal violence. Last month a lesbian was found dead, having been sexually assaulted with a toilet brush.

The retired former Archbishop of Cape Town, 81, is a long-standing campaigner for gay rights, and compared the struggle to that for racial equality in South Africa.

He said: "I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place.

"I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this.

"I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level."

Same-sex relationships are illegal in more than a third of countries around the world and punishable by death in five, said UN human rights chief Navi Pillay, who also spoke at the launch of the Free and Equal campaign in Cape Town.

According to the rights group Amnesty International, homosexual acts are still a crime in 38 African countries.

According to AFP, Ms Pillay said: "People are literally paying for their love with their lives.

"I constantly hear governments tell me, 'but this is our culture, our tradition and we can't change it'... So we have lots of work to do."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/desmond-tutu-i-would-not-worship-a-god-who-is-homophobic-8734897.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/Desmond-tutu-hell-homophobia_n_3661120.html

It beat my imagination why a suppose clergyman and a senior clergy for that matter will make such statement. This does not make homosexuality RIGHT
Re: Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Not Worship A God Who Is Homophobic' by ommo(m): 4:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
MOD, can this be move to the front page? Thank you
Re: Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Not Worship A God Who Is Homophobic' by Dibiachukwu: 8:43am On Jul 31, 2013
What do you expect from a south African uncle tom Just when you thought, you've seen it all grin
Re: Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Not Worship A God Who Is Homophobic' by ommo(m): 8:19pm On Aug 01, 2013
Dibiachukwu: What do you expect from a south African uncle tom Just when you thought, you've seen it all grin

The fact that he call himself archbishop and man of God,beat my imagination

(1) (Reply)

Robert Gabriel Mugabe Of Zimbabwe For Beginners / Picture Of John Kerry Enjoying Dinner With Al Assad / US Plane In 1961 'nuclear Bomb Near-miss'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.