Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

B.reastfeeding While Pregnant - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / B.reastfeeding While Pregnant (3666 Views)

Attending A Burial While Pregnant / Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe / Can I Have Sex While Pregnant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by babyme1(f): 5:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
I want to know if it is safe to still brAEstFeed your baby once it is confirmed that you are pregnant.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by EfemenaXY: 5:50pm On Jul 27, 2013
Safe for who?

Nothing wrong with it, but be prepared for sore ni.pples. Speaking from experience. I stopped after four months while pregnant with my third...Just make sure you eat a healthy, balanced diet and drink lots of water too.

Here, have a read of this:

There's no reason to not continue breastfeeding while you're pregnant if you want to do so. Many mothers not only continue nursing during pregnancy but also "tandem nurse" – that is, breastfeed both their newborn and their older child.

You may worry that you won't be able to eat enough to both nourish the baby growing inside and produce enough breast milk for the nursling, but our bodies are amazing and know exactly what to do. Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet – eating when you're hungry and drinking when you're thirsty – is all that's needed.

Here are some other things to be aware of as you nurse during pregnancy. All of these are perfectly normal:

~ Your ni.pples and breasts may be more tender during pregnancy.

~ Your milk supply may diminish a bit.

~ Verbal toddlers may announce that your breast milk tastes different. Why? Because toward the end of pregnancy, breast milk changes to a colostral type of milk. (Colostrum is the thick, yellowish milk your body produces while you're pregnant and for the first few days after your baby is born.)

~ Some moms are concerned that ni.pple stimulation during breastfeeding will lead to premature labor. Ni.pple stimulation does trigger your body's production of the hormone oxytocin, which helps with milk letdown and also plays a role in the contractions you have during labor. Fortunately, the amount of oxytocin released isn't enough to stimulate labor under normal circumstances.

~ The relase of oxytocin is only a concern if you're at risk for early labor and your doctor or midwife has put you on strict bedrest, with no lovemaking or breast play allowed.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-breastfeed-during-pregnancy_8935.bc

Hope this helps cheesy
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by babyme1(f): 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2013
Efe thanks!I was concerned about the baby because my mum adviced against it. Said it makes them sick.I've heard this tale severally and was wondering if there is any truth to it.

Anyway,my baby is 11mnths and she enjoys nursing and i was feeling bad about stopping.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by EfemenaXY: 6:32pm On Jul 27, 2013
^^ You're welcome dear. smiley

There's no need for you to stop breastfeeding if both you and your daughter are comfortable with it and neither is 11 months too old. I breastfed my oldest for exactly 1 year and 10 months, and my youngest son till he was 2. Stopped on his second birthday.

Just make sure your baby eats other foods too in addition to breastmilk.

It is well smiley
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by ayde: 6:54pm On Jul 27, 2013
Breastfeeding while pregnant is absolutely safe.

I stopped breastfeeding my first son at 1yr 3months and I was already 7months pregnant then. Now I didn't stop because of any health issues, but because people where talking smiley.

Efemena_xy has said it all and the link she provided explains further.

Try join the babycenter group. A very education site for mothers.

Wish u a very healthy pregnancy and breastfeeding period wink.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by ireneidiva(f): 7:13pm On Jul 27, 2013
Haven't you heard of child spacing before in the first place? Smh

2 Likes

Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by EfemenaXY: 7:24pm On Jul 27, 2013
^^ These things do happen and sometimes, through no fault of ours.

It's happened it's happened. At least she's married and in a position to look after her babies. She came here for seeking advice so let's not berate her for it. smiley

2 Likes

Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by babyme1(f): 8:15pm On Jul 27, 2013
@Irene excuse me ma, did i tell you the pregnancy was a mistake? I wanted to wait till my daughter is one but hubby said no,so it was well planned.

Hubby wanted me to stop nursing at 10mnths but i made him see the pros of breastmilk and we are good.@Efe thanks again, your advice is always on point.

@Ayde it's true with the talks. Even when my girl was like 6mnths some busy bodies asked why i was brerastfeeding an adult. Smh for some people sha.

6 Likes

Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by ayde: 10:25pm On Jul 27, 2013
^^ lol, exactly. My mother-in-law and sister in particular were always talking about it.I heard stuff like "ur baby will fall sick", "it's not good for the unborn child", "you will be aneamic" etc. Although I'd planned to tandem feed my babies but had to give in.

I see your pregnancy was planned, which is good. Mine wasn't. I thought b.reastfeeding was a sure form of contraceptive as I was still nursing my 8months old son then, and my p.eriod hadn't come back, but alas I took in. Pleasant suprise it was for my hubby n I though.

This time around, we'r being very cautious, at least till my baby is a year or so before ttc again.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by LewsTherin: 9:08am On Jul 28, 2013
With all this talk about 2 years still breast feeding and tandem feeding and all what not, what does the husband do during this time, hmmm? Or is it a "Lagbaja nothing for you" thing?
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by EfemenaXY: 9:11am On Jul 28, 2013
^^ The babies, his babies are priority.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by ayde: 2:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
LewsTherin: With all this talk about 2 years still breast feeding and tandem feeding and all what not, what does the husband do during this time, hmmm? Or is it a "Lagbaja nothing for you" thing?

Lol, very funny cheesy. Well in my own case, it was "Lagbaja something for you" wink. Daddy had his own time and babies had theirs too.

1 Like

Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
Must you find fault, scold or complain? If you don't have solution to the matter kindly shut your filthy mouth.

2 Likes

Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2013
Baby there's nothing wrong.

However, breastfeeding can be very tiring. Just make sure you eat and rest well, both you unborn and toddler will be fine.

Congrats dearie kiss
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by thorpido(m): 10:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
ayde: ^^ lol, exactly. My mother-in-law and sister in particular were always talking about it.I heard stuff like "ur baby will fall sick", "it's not good for the unborn child", "you will be aneamic" etc. Although I'd planned to tandem feed my babies but had to give in.

I see your pregnancy was planned, which is good. Mine wasn't. I thought b.reastfeeding was a sure form of contraceptive as I was still nursing my 8months old son then, and my p.eriod hadn't come back, but alas I took in. Pleasant suprise it was for my hubby n I though.

This time around, we'r being very cautious, at least till my baby is a year or so before ttc again.
Breastfeeding as a form of contraceptive is only effective in the first 2 months and if the mother is doing exclusive breastfeeding.At 8mths,u will VERY likely get pregnant.If you are reading this as a woman,don't use breastfeeding as a form of contraception after just the first 2 months,it will likely fail.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by ayde: 6:36am On Jul 30, 2013
thorpido: Breastfeeding as a form of contraceptive is only effective in the first 2 months and if the mother is doing exclusive breastfeeding.At 8mths,u will VERY likely get pregnant.If you are reading this as a woman,don't use breastfeeding as a form of contraception after just the first 2 months,it will likely fail.

Yes very true. I later found this fact out. Thanks.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by Rowybest(f): 6:42am On Jul 30, 2013
ayde:

Yes very true. I later found this fact out. Thanks.
lie, it depends on ur system. It protects me from pregnancy at least 1yr because it stops my monthly flow.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by thorpido(m): 7:12am On Jul 30, 2013
Rowybest: lie, it depends on ur system. It protects me from pregnancy at least 1yr because it stops my monthly flow.
You can't say lie.In medicine,there are cases of exceptions.There are cases of people who had unprotected s.ex with an HIV positive partner and did not get infected.Does that mean having unprotected s.ex will not get one infected?You can't use just your case to generalize.

Breastfeeding is not a sure way to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

2 Likes

Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by smartmom(f): 12:33pm On Jul 30, 2013
It is well Poster like Efe said(her advice was excellent too). After spacing my 1st three kids 5 years apart ie I had the 3 within 15 years, my last came online wink when his sister the third was only 10 months, boy was I distressed?? especially as we had no plans but alas now he is our favrite kid. I continued b.restfeeding till my 3rd was 14 months after my 1st trimester. I drank alot of nutritious fluids so I wouldnt deprive both babies of necessary nutrients and we were all good.

Exclusive breastfeeding is no safe contraceptive. Speaking from experience ladies!
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by aflame100(m): 4:08pm On Mar 08, 2016
EfemenaXY:
^^ These things do happen and sometimes, through no fault of ours.

It's happened it's happened. At least she's married and in a position to look after her babies. She came here for seeking advice so let's not berate her for it. smiley

Nice post dear. you are wiser than that fellow that post b4 you.
Re: B.reastfeeding While Pregnant by babyme1(f): 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2016
Lol. I stumbled on this thread and it's funny because the baby I conceived then is 2yrs today. How time flies

6 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Couple Fell To Death After Window They Were leaning Against Broke / Fun Places In Abuja For Kids / The Coffin Of A Man Who Had 10 Wifes In Ghana And Had S-e-x. Every Day And Reque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.