Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) (12213 Views)

Senator Yerima: "Biafra Struggle Is Legitimate" - Daily Times / Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM / Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 29, 2013
ddeola: This is what is called PAEDOPHILE loving to have sex with children or under-aged. If he likes, let him continue to quote the "Holy book" it doesn't change anything. Imagine a fully matured man having sex with a 13 years old, this is unfair for God's sake
by the way,i learnt people close to him said that that egyptian 13 year old girl he married is the daughter of his driver.the driver is an egyptian man and he gave them a lot of money so that they will allow him marry the girl. whenever he travels or goes with her,he does not allow the little girl to sit beside him because he is ashamed of his actions but enjoying what he does with the girl in private..when he is in the car,he will tell the girl to sit in front,while he is sitting at owners corner at the back and when he is on flight,he pretends as if that is his last daughter.he tells her to sit else where different from where he sits.he treats her like his child in public so that people who dont know him will think that is his last born or grand child and in private,he gets down with the girl.

I wasnt there,i only heard the gist from a reliable source o and honestly i feel sorry for the girl.it would have been better if she wasnt born at all

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 29, 2013
[size=20pt]Dont even wanna watch the video, Hes jus stupid[/size]
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Mudley313: 12:14pm On Jul 29, 2013
drake2005: Lets stop all the hate and insolence directed at Sen. Yerima. His intent might sound pedophilic, however, he makes a strong legal argument in the interview. Did you guys watch the video clearly? I want us to approach this debate sensibly, intelligently and factually. The man said he is following the teachings and religion of Islam. That, if Islam forbade such or if the Quran says otherwise, he will back out. Now, here is where it gets tricky, Nigerian constitution guarantees the practice of Islam in Nigeria; in order words, what he is doing is legal and within the confines of the law. Do I support this; No. I'm only interpreting the facts. We should direct our anger at Islam and not him. Have the Imams spoken in droves against him? No.

The bible stated that disobedient children should be put to death; should we murder kids who are disobedient to their parents as well, under the pretext of religion?
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by DollyParton1(f): 1:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
chiwuike20:
I must tell u, my friend, dat if d practice of religion is done in totalty, there will be chaos, eg if d traditionalist r allowed to practice what they believe, human sacrifice will continue. Human sacrifice is a strong element of worship and dedication to the traditionalist religion. But dis is frowned @ by d more popular religion and laws. Muslims have to 4go some of their not-too-important practice 4 d general good of the state. Dis is d essence of politics. If by marrying an adult one does not lose his place in heaven, y not 4go d pleasure 4 all d populace of d country. However u look @ it, yerima is simply a pleasure seeker using religion as a pretext

Gbam!
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by kwajahafiz(m): 1:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
why is every one deriding this man?. must we all immitate the west in everything?. Did not our ancestors marry post menstrual early teen girls?. sometimes, they even married premenstrual ones. where in African native laws is a man excluded from marrying much younger women?. The west sets the standards for us now in Africa...Wait my friends..Gay Marriage will be next. Obama is already lobbying us for that.
Personally I will never cast a romantic eye on any one under 20 but thats my choice, chiefly because I like mental stimulation as well. But, we must not turn our backs on our customs.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Phikom(m): 1:11pm On Jul 29, 2013
aiye yerima tibaje!!!
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by johnkent(m): 1:16pm On Jul 29, 2013
Brilliance9000:

Makes perfect sense.

Your interpretation and his makes absolutely no sense. You can't be breaking laws under the disguise of your religious beliefs. Yes, you can practice whatever religion you want but as a country, we still have laws. It’s illegal to get married to anyone younger than 18 years old and the Nigerian constitution doesn't give a F what your Quran or bible says. What’s the point of making laws if anyone including this senator can decide to do whatever they want based on their religious beliefs?? How about I tell you that my "bible" says its okay to murder someone if I don't like them? Does that make it okay to Kill someone??

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by johnkent(m): 1:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
drake2005: Lets stop all the hate and insolence directed at Sen. Yerima. His intent might sound pedophilic, however, he makes a strong legal argument in the interview. Did you guys watch the video clearly? I want us to approach this debate sensibly, intelligently and factually. The man said he is following the teachings and religion of Islam. That, if Islam forbade such or if the Quran says otherwise, he will back out. Now, here is where it gets tricky, Nigerian constitution guarantees the practice of Islam in Nigeria; in order words, what he is doing is legal and within the confines of the law. Do I support this; No. I'm only interpreting the facts. We should direct our anger at Islam and not him. Have the Imams spoken in droves against him? No.

Your interpretation and his makes absolutely no sense. You can't be breaking laws under the disguise of your religious beliefs. Yes, you can practice whatever religion you want but as a country, we still have laws. It’s illegal to get married to anyone younger than 18 years old and the Nigerian constitution doesn't give a F what your Quran or bible says. What’s the point of making laws if anyone including this senator can decide to do whatever they want based on their religious beliefs?? How about I tell you that my "bible" says its okay to murder someone if I don't like them? Does that make it okay to Kill someone??

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 29, 2013
jerseyboy: Good Muslims are Bad People. Yerima is a Very Good Muslim.
i agree with u. A Real muslim cannot like christians and other dominant religion especially judaism. They hate judaism and christianity. Thank GOD im a christian. Smh at child mariage. Ill die a true christ follower IJCMN. AMEN

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 29, 2013
How can a relígion encourage child marriage if not a demonic one. These people need CHRIST to open their eyes. Some know the truth but they are scared to talk. Some may have had personal encounter with CHRIST but fear grips them. It is better to be an atheist than to practise this religion, Frankly speaking

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Cyborg2011: 2:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
Shame on those who can't look for global facts, cannot even Google and find similar facts around the globe with the existence of something like Google.

MURIC hereby presents facts and figures on legal marriage age around the world for Nigerians to see and judge.
“In New Hampshire, United States, legal marriage age is 13 for girls and 14 for boys! In Michigan (US) it is 15 but girls can be married below 15 with parental consent. In Indiana (US) a girl can be married at 14 if she becomes pregnant. In Hawaii and Georgia (US) it is 15 with parental consent.
“Now let us go outside America, in Britain it is 16, in fact it is 15 in most European countries. In Venezuela it is 14 with parental consent, 14 in Paraguay, 14 in Mexico, Bolivia 14. Coming to the African continent, the legal marriage age is 14 in Mozambique and 15 in Gabon. In Angola it is 15, Niger 15, Cameroon 15, Congo DR 15, Benin 15, Kenya 16 and Madagascar 14. In Equitorial Guinea it is 12!
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by ugoezeik(m): 2:11pm On Jul 29, 2013
very sensible comment
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by omocheche(f): 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2013
This country is funny, when someone finish one tenure as a governor must he become a senator? Can't they finish there term & go home to rest? Must they keep rotating going round & round in circle. If not this same governor that has cost a lot of controversy in zamfara state.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by kasiem(m): 2:20pm On Jul 29, 2013
in that case those parts in the islamic and christian scriptures that justified the murder of people not abiding by their faith should also be seen legal. abeg, naija was signatory to au charter which has been domesticated into our constitutiona and as such being bound by the stipulations of child marriage which is outlawed in the charter. again, islamic law is regarded as customary law, so before it could be adopted as a law it must go through the three tests of validity of which it has already failed one which is CONTRARY TO PUBLIC OPINION.

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Cyborg2011: 2:20pm On Jul 29, 2013
“So what is all the noise about? Tanzania adds a more pragmatic scenario: the legal marriage age is 14 but girls below 12 can marry for religious reason with the proviso that the marriage will not be consummated until the girl reaches 12. Gambia, Maldives, Saudi Arabia and Sudan place no age limit at all on marriage. Nigeria ranks among the most conservative in this area as marriage age is still 18 under the law.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by gbengaobaye: 2:21pm On Jul 29, 2013
yerima should be flogged.But islam forbids alcohol and yet he gets money from tax brewery pays to marry underaged.He is an extremist without a clue of what to do.Why will he equate himself with the prophet.Why did he chose what will please himself and look use prophet as a defence.
King solomon married 700 so that means a senator too can marry 700.its crazy when you think this way.
One xtic of third world countries like nigeria is strong attachment to traditions.Refusal to think outside the box.
This yerima just likes underaged that is all and we must stop him.
He like sex, its was reported when he was the governor of zamfara state that he impreganated his 4 wives at a once.He will now be divorcing and remarrying.
Hausas link customs and traditions with religion.
Yerima must be stopped.
POVERTY IS THE MAJOR CAUSE OF THIS ELSE IF I CAN TAKE CARE OF MY DAUGHTER WHY SHOULD 1000 YERIMAS ENTICE ME WITH MONEY.
Yerima must be stopped. period.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Lililuv(f): 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2013
Brilliance9000:

Makes perfect sense.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Cyborg2011: 2:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
“So what is all the noise about? Tanzania adds a more pragmatic scenario: the legal marriage age is 14 but girls below 12 can marry for religious reason with the proviso that the marriage will not be consummated until the girl reaches 12. Gambia, Maldives, Saudi Arabia and Sudan place no age limit at all on marriage. Nigeria ranks among the most conservative in this area as marriage age is still 18 under the law.

“MURIC is constrained to ask the following pertinent questions: how are these different from what Nigerian Muslims are saying? Why are some people stereotyping Muslims? Why is anything that has the Islamic tinge contemptuous to some? How can we truly integrate if you hold Muslims in contempt and you allow them to see the contempt? How do you expect Nigerian Muslims to have a sense of belonging? How can they be patriotic? Can this serve the interest of Nigeria as a nation?

“MURIC refers Doubting Thomases who might assume that we concocted these facts, to the following websites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age, gulfnews.com, http://www.wunrn.com/news/2011/09_11/09_19/091911_minimum.htm, http://marriage.about.com/cs/teenmarriage/a/teenother.htm, etc.
“MURIC advises Nigerians to be more liberal in thinking. Mindset approach will never work. We advise all and sundry to read and travel wide. Research is today a potent weapon. The world has become a global village courtesy of information technology. Nigerians should not allow themselves to be shut up in a shell. Ignorance will disappear from this country the day we decide to compare and contrast events in our land with what obtains in other places.
“We advise the CAN president to eschew sensationalisation and concentrate more on building a united Nigeria. Threats are not expected from religious leaders. It falls short of being exemplary. Neither can we gain anything from public demonstrations over trivial issues when there are so many other matters begging for attention. Do we realize that Oritsejafor’s call is capable of igniting an Egypt-like scenario if Muslims also mobilize their supporters? Should we precipitate another religious crisis? Perhaps CAN leader should begin to study and emulate the calmness and statesmanship of his counterparts.

“MURIC rejects the position of Senate president as he hangs the blame on blackmail from Senator Ahmad Sani. David Mark’s claim is an afterthought, laughable, infantile and unacceptable. How can a single senator blackmail the whole Senate? Does it mean the Senate President is incompetent? We remind David Mark that the buck stops at his table. He is expected to have built a pressure-resisting system in his anatomy. He should simply resign if he is tired.
“Finally, we urge Muslims all over the country to ignore provocations and remain peaceful and law abiding. We remind Senate that Religion is a sensitive issue. We therefore charge the Upper House to allow sleeping dogs to lie. In view of the prevailing situation in other countries where circumstances such as religion is allowed to determine the issue of legal age of marriage, Senate should leave this controversial clause status quo ante.”
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 29, 2013
Cyborg2011: “So what is all the noise about? Tanzania adds a more pragmatic scenario: the legal marriage age is 14 but girls below 12 can marry for religious reason with the proviso that the marriage will not be consummated until the girl reaches 12. Gambia, Maldives, Saudi Arabia and Sudan place no age limit at all on marriage. Nigeria ranks among the most conservative in this area as marriage age is still 18 under the law.

“MURIC is constrained to ask the following pertinent questions: how are these different from what Nigerian Muslims are saying? Why are some people stereotyping Muslims? Why is anything that has the Islamic tinge contemptuous to some? How can we truly integrate if you hold Muslims in contempt and you allow them to see the contempt? How do you expect Nigerian Muslims to have a sense of belonging? How can they be patriotic? Can this serve the interest of Nigeria as a nation?

“MURIC refers Doubting Thomases who might assume that we concocted these facts, to the following websites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age, gulfnews.com, http://www.wunrn.com/news/2011/09_11/09_19/091911_minimum.htm, http://marriage.about.com/cs/teenmarriage/a/teenother.htm, etc.
“MURIC advises Nigerians to be more liberal in thinking. Mindset approach will never work. We advise all and sundry to read and travel wide. Research is today a potent weapon. The world has become a global village courtesy of information technology. Nigerians should not allow themselves to be shut up in a shell. Ignorance will disappear from this country the day we decide to compare and contrast events in our land with what obtains in other places.
“We advise the CAN president to eschew sensationalisation and concentrate more on building a united Nigeria. Threats are not expected from religious leaders. It falls short of being exemplary. Neither can we gain anything from public demonstrations over trivial issues when there are so many other matters begging for attention. Do we realize that Oritsejafor’s call is capable of igniting an Egypt-like scenario if Muslims also mobilize their supporters? Should we precipitate another religious crisis? Perhaps CAN leader should begin to study and emulate the calmness and statesmanship of his counterparts.

“MURIC rejects the position of Senate president as he hangs the blame on blackmail from Senator Ahmad Sani. David Mark’s claim is an afterthought, laughable, infantile and unacceptable. How can a single senator blackmail the whole Senate? Does it mean the Senate President is incompetent? We remind David Mark that the buck stops at his table. He is expected to have built a pressure-resisting system in his anatomy. He should simply resign if he is tired.
“Finally, we urge Muslims all over the country to ignore provocations and remain peaceful and law abiding. We remind Senate that Religion is a sensitive issue. We therefore charge the Upper House to allow sleeping dogs to lie. In view of the prevailing situation in other countries where circumstances such as religion is allowed to determine the issue of legal age of marriage, Senate should leave this controversial clause status quo ante.”
Dude u av shouted enuf as u can see no one responded to all ur ranting, when u av a female child at age 12 u can give her out to a man of 60 no P dts ur life nd ur religion, no one shld come nd impose a muslim law on us, Y haven't d christians imposed 1 man 1 wife if we looking frm d religion end, we av had lots of christian presidents and we dnt hear dem tryna impose any christian laws but gv a muslim a chance nd dey want to impose cos of dere personal pleasures.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Cyborg2011: 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
Hey mr. no one, the ignorant of facts, yeah of course you must ignore facts, because you people are not after facts, its pity to see people cannot search for themselves. Research about an issue before posting comments, and always talking out of knowledge of what they are saying.

Quite agree that if sleeping dog is not let to lie, much trouble will emanate and everyone will regret it, and I guess that is what promoters of this abuse campaign are after.

They will failed for sure, because Nigeria will remain as it is.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by dorox(m): 2:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
In a nut shell, Senator Yerima's defense boils than to one simple argument. It goes like this - Peadophila is not a crime in Islam because prophet Muhammad did it to a nine years old girl so every muslim man have the right to follow the example of Muhammad.
All i would like to know from muslims on this thread is if they are in agreement with Yerima and Prophet Muhammad.

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Cyborg2011: 2:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
People like panel beating facts and truth everywhere especially if its about Islam or Muslims why ?

Even the story of the so called Girl was fake !

The story of Nada al-Ahdal, an 11-year-old Yemeni girl whose video about her alleged arranged marriage went viral, is being called into question. In the video, she claims to have run away from her parents' home and to her uncle Abdel Salem in order to escape. Her story was covered by many online media organisations, including The Stream.

Two human rights groups involved in the case, Seyaj and the Yemeni Women Union (YWU), say parts of Nada’s account are false, including the claim that her parents planned to marry her off. According to both organisations, someone had approached Nada's parents to suggest a suitor for her, but they refused. YWU President Ramzia al-Eryani says Nada has returned to live with her parents after being in the custody of YWU while the case was being resolved.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201307281912-0022941
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by dorox(m): 2:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
Cyborg2011: People like panel beating facts and truth everywhere especially if its about Islam or Muslims why ?

Even the story of the so called Girl was fake !

The story of Nada al-Ahdal, an 11-year-old Yemeni girl whose video about her alleged arranged marriage went viral, is being called into question. In the video, she claims to have run away from her parents' home and to her uncle Abdel Salem in order to escape. Her story was covered by many online media organisations, including The Stream.

Two human rights groups involved in the case, Seyaj and the Yemeni Women Union (YWU), say parts of Nada’s account are false, including the claim that her parents planned to marry her off. According to both organisations, someone had approached Nada's parents to suggest a suitor for her, but they refused. YWU President Ramzia al-Eryani says Nada has returned to live with her parents after being in the custody of YWU while the case was being resolved.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201307281912-0022941

Is the story of a middle-age prophet Muhammad and nine years old Aisha also fake? What of senator yerima and a thirteen year old girl, is that one fake too?

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Georgeorge20: 3:04pm On Jul 29, 2013
this one is a shameless,useless,unshameful,lrresponsible& wrong voting someone
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
[color=#770077][/color]sen. Yerima u nid beta kane o. Like 72 stroke go gve u beta sense
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by guttentag(m): 3:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
He is a chiLd ritualist.. Imagine abusing a child.. Does the fool even have a child?
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by obi2012: 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
No it is not legal... The national laws hold priority before religious beliefs.. Yes we as a country allow freedom of religion but we also have to respect the laws of the nation.. The bible has sections where it recommends an eye for an eye, does this mean if someone offends you, you should take the law into your hands and seek revenge? NO.. we have laws governing that.

The US has freedom of religion, yet polygamy which is practiced in islam is forbidden under the law. Do it and you face jail time. His argument holds no grounds because restricting him from marrying under 18 does not in any way affect his practice of islam or cause him to sin under any islamic law. He is just a pervert that is looking for a way to justify his disgusting ways.

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by gbengaobaye: 3:33pm On Jul 29, 2013
wink
Cyborg2011: “So what is all the noise about? Tanzania adds a more pragmatic scenario: the legal marriage age is 14 but girls below 12 can marry for religious reason with the proviso that the marriage will not be consummated until the girl reaches 12. Gambia, Maldives, Saudi Arabia and Sudan place no age limit at all on marriage. Nigeria ranks among the most conservative in this area as marriage age is still 18 under the law.

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by alex1612: 3:38pm On Jul 29, 2013
OGA YERIMA AND CO, WHY U NO USE YOUR RELIGION TO FIGHT BOKO HARAM, CURRUPTION E.T.C
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by dorox(m): 3:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
alex1612: OGA YERIMA AND CO, WHY U NO USE YOUR RELIGION TO FIGHT BOKO HARAM, CURRUPTION E.T.C
How can he use his religion to fight boko haram when his religion and boko haram are one and the same thing?

1 Like

Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by Kizuba: 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
hummmm Sen. Yeridiot!!

The reason may be justified by Islam, but you are not allowed to trespass the national constitution in the name of Islam/ buddism/ Christianity or what ever.

the next thing we will be hearing from you is that you slaughtered and killed one of your wives because she refused to pray 5 times a day.
Re: Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) by adepojuot: 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2013
thanks jaree drake,you have said it all. I have said earlier,don't blame yerima but blame prophet Muhammed teachings and his life style. For God sake, Muhammed married Aisha when she was 6yrs old,so what are we talking Stop blaming yerima.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Northern Group Seeks Probe, Prosecution Of PDP, Others For Forgeries.. / Dr Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah Is 47 Today / INEC Yet To Recognise Abdullahi Adamu As APC National Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.