Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,925 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names (2195 Views)

10 Things You Never Knew You Could Do With Toothpaste / Strange But Funny Names Of Real People (photos) / Hilarious Names Of Nollywood Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by enque(f): 11:31am On May 28, 2008
33 Names of Things You Never Knew had Names

1. AGLET - The plain or ornamental covering on the end of a shoelace.
2. ARMSAYE - The armhole in clothing.
3. CHANKING - Spat-out food, such as rinds or pits.
4. COLUMELLA NASI - The bottom part of the nose between the nostrils.
5. DRAGÉES - Small beadlike pieces of candy, usually silver-coloured, used for decorating cookies, cakes and sundaes.
6. FEAT - A dangling curl of hair.
7. FERRULE - The metal band on a pencil that holds the eraser in place.
8. HARP - The small metal hoop that supports a lampshade.
9. HEMIDEMISEMIQUAVER - A 64th note. (A 32nd is a demisemiquaver, and a 16th note is a semiquaver.)
10. JARNS,
11. NITTLES,
12. GRAWLIX,
13. and QUIMP - Various squiggles used to denote cussing in comic books.
14. KEEPER - The loop on a belt that keeps the end in place after it has passed through the buckle.
15. KICK or PUNT - The indentation at the bottom of some wine bottles. It gives added strength to the bottle but lessens its holding capacity.
16. LIRIPIPE - The long tail on a graduate's academic hood.
17. MINIMUS - The little finger or toe.
18. NEF - An ornamental stand in the shape of a ship.
19. OBDORMITION - The numbness caused by pressure on a nerve; when a limb is 'asleep'.
20. OCTOTHORPE - The symbol '#' on a telephone handset. Bell Labs' engineer Don Macpherson created the word in the 1960s by combining octo-, as in eight, with the name of one of his favourite athletes, 1912 Olympic decathlon champion Jim Thorpe.
21. OPHRYON - The space between the eyebrows on a line with the top of the eye sockets.
22. PEEN - The end of a hammer head opposite the striking face.
23. PHOSPHENES - The lights you see when you close your eyes hard. Technically the luminous impressions are due to the excitation of the retina caused by pressure on the eyeball.
24. PURLICUE - The space between the thumb and extended forefinger.
25. RASCETA - Creases on the inside of the wrist.
26. ROWEL - The revolving star on the back of a cowboy's spurs.
27. SADDLE - The rounded part on the top of a matchbook.
28. SCROOP - The rustle of silk.
29. SNORKEL BOX - A mailbox with a protruding receiver to allow people to deposit mail without leaving their cars.
30. SPRAINTS - Otter dung.
31. TANG - The projecting prong on a tool or instrument.
32. WAMBLE - Stomach rumbling.
33. ZARF - A holder for a handleless coffee cup.
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Posh2(f): 5:34pm On May 28, 2008
wow,
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by iku: 11:58pm On May 28, 2008
enque - nice post

Please can i be pleased to meet you?
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by enque(f): 9:05am On May 30, 2008
thanks iku,
well, am here on nairaland!!
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by cashoggy(f): 11:37am On May 30, 2008
@Poster, this is awesome. More discoveries to you kiss kiss

iku:

enque - nice post

Please can i be pleased to meet you?

I take your Mama name beg you, please do not meet 'Iku' oh cry, hope you know that that name means in Yoruba. shocked shocked grin wink
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by enque(f): 3:03pm On May 30, 2008
cashoggy:

@Poster, this is awesome. More discoveries to you kiss kiss

I take your Mama name beg you, please do not meet 'Iku' oh cry, hope you know that that name means in Yoruba. shocked shocked grin wink

thanks dear, well i am aware of wat IKU means na! trust me, i know wat to do
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Suntemi(m): 8:47am On Jun 02, 2008
Very funny, I'm sure Iku himself isn't ready to die.
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by enque(f): 11:15am On Jun 02, 2008
well, let DEATH speak for himself
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Suntemi(m): 2:32pm On Jun 02, 2008
I don hear u.
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by abasifo(m): 3:22pm On Jun 02, 2008
IS
THAT
ALL
come on mennn
i meant MOREeeeeeeeee
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by spikedcylinder: 5:19pm On Jun 04, 2008
nice.
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 10, 2008
Post more please. It'll do good for us writers.
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by chinesedoll(f): 6:53am On Jun 11, 2008
@poster

nice one theere
but most of those words are not in d dictionary
or probably u did not spell most of dem well
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by enque(f): 9:21am On Jun 11, 2008
thanks y'all
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by TATPRESS(m): 11:25pm On Jun 14, 2008
Nice trend.

Nice post all!

Iku is a nice poster. It might not mean what we all think.

iku may simply mean- Care or Happiness in his world.

Get it clear- yorubaism
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by enque(f): 8:01am On Jun 16, 2008
ok, duly noted
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Gboliwe: 10:23am On Dec 25, 2010
Really educating
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by ibguy: 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2010
good but wat am i gonna do wt al dis big big grammar?
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by MaiSuya(m): 5:09am On Dec 26, 2010
^^learn it
Re: 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by drrionelli(m): 8:38am On Dec 27, 2010
May I add to this list the word PHILTRUM?

The philtrum is the grooved area of the upper lip just beneath the nose. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Obadiah777 Is The New Religion Section Mod !!! / Help! A Lion Just Entered My Compound Now! / Amazing And Interesting Facts That You Didn't Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.