Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon (1422 Views)

Intel Realsense App Challenge 2014 / Ebola App Challenge/Competition - Disease App That Will Prevent African Genocide / Financial Literacy App Challenge For Nigeria Developers & Designers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by mj(m): 10:08pm On Jul 29, 2013

The Financial Literacy Challenge ended on 28 July 2013 after a 48 Hrs Hackathon at the Co Creation Hub developing six (6) financial Literacy Apps, the six apps are listed below:

Financial IQ: Financial IQ is a mobile learning platform with content on financial management and financial products from different service providers. The platform will be able to serve content to users based on their interest but also links them to related financial products from different service providers. To test their knowledge, the platform will also include quizzes and exercise to test how much users have learnt with a globally accessible leaderboard, (Native Apps, Mobile Websites, SMS).

NairaSaver: NairaSaver is a money saving tips app for Nigeria where people share and vote on money saving tips. The app builds on 101 money saving tips peculiar to Nigeria compiled by Financial Literacy For All from users on social media. The tips are categorised based on expense type as well as user demographics. Top tips as picked by users are profiled as “Tip of the Day”. The app can also be an outlet for financial service providers to share products with users that may relate to specific tips, (Native Apps, Mobile web, SMS, Social Media).

Market Trader: Market Trader is a game targeted at the literate children of illiterate and semi-literate artisans, traders and other micro-entrepreneurs. The game educates them on financial issues and products but rewards them for prompting & educating their parents on these issues. The rewards are based on how their parents adopt these good practices and if they take up any of these products, (Native Apps, Mobile website).

Business and Community Game: Junior Achievement Nigeria uses two board games – Business Game and Community Game to educate young people on different finance issues. Our idea is to localize the content of the game to be Nigeria-centric and to digitise the game so that students can play them wherever they are. The games teach children to understand money and key financial concepts like earning, saving, investing, starting a business etc, (Mobile website,Native Apps).

MoneyTALKS: MoneyTALKS is a platform where users can get audio tutorials in multiple languages on specific financial issues that Nigerians face. This will be realistic questions that address common questions that consumers have from as basic as how to open an account. The question bank will be constantly expanded and users will be updated as new questions are added. Users can also share answers by ams and through social media, (SMS, Phone Calls, Mobile Web, Native Apps).

Money Life: Money Life is a simulation game that involves kids budgeting, earning, saving, spending accumulated funds around real-life scenarios. Based on their performance, they get awarded points and can vie for top spot on a leaderboard. The players can also assume avatars of specific characters and play out a scenario in the character’s life.

I am a member of the Financial IQ Team, We did the Android App, Windows Phone App, Mobile Web and SMS.
It was really fun working with my team members to achieve it, at the end of the day we did not win, but am now better by far.

Congratulations to MoneyTALKS Team who won the First Prize: N1,200,000, the event was sponsored by VISA.

http://oshadami.com/2013/07/financial-literacy-challenge-climax/

Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by bigt2(m): 10:22pm On Jul 29, 2013
Those softwares must have come with large chuns of coding! shocked
and im just sitting here learning visualBasic. Smh! sad

I am climbing the ladder! cool
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by mj(m): 8:13am On Jul 30, 2013
big-t:
Those softwares must have come with large chuns of coding! shocked
and im just sitting here learning visualBasic. Smh! sad

I am climbing the ladder! cool

Just keep studying, you will be better than me.
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by bigt2(m): 8:30am On Jul 30, 2013
mj:

Just keep studying, you will be better than me.
how about sharing books about programming so that I also will be good? What language is the best cos i just started with visualBasic.
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by Ajibel(m): 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2013
Interesting! Was it sponsored by Tony elumelu foundation
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 31, 2013
Missing them CCHUb dude sad Ajibz,Sola,Tunji, espcially Emotu... cry that place is a brilliant environment especialy the Design UX guru Segun
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 31, 2013
^^ although not a regular there, buh i missed the friendly environment and the geeks in the house. Ah! I miss dem men!!
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by Javanian: 5:07pm On Jul 31, 2013
pls can someone tell me what this place is like and what i stand to gain by being a member?
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by mj(m): 7:21pm On Jul 31, 2013
It is really a wonderful environment to code, try and visit @Javanian.
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by mj(m): 7:22pm On Jul 31, 2013
Ajibel: Interesting! Was it sponsored by Tony elumelu foundation
no, it was sponsored by VISA, although Tony's Foundation is one of the supporters of the CCHub.
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by mj(m): 7:24pm On Jul 31, 2013
big-t:
how about sharing books about programming so that I also will be good? What language is the best cos i just started with visualBasic.
My Personal opinion, No language is the best, the all have their strengths and weaknesses, one thing I keep insisting is: what have you done with the language you know

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by Javanian: 7:29pm On Jul 31, 2013
mj: It is really a wonderful environment to code, try and visit @Javanian.

Yeah, but what do i stand to gain? that's that i want to know...
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by prodam(m): 7:53pm On Jul 31, 2013
@ javanian, actually, what you stand to gain depends on what you want to gain. By default, you gain anything obtainable from being in a community of experienced, smart and exposed programmers and other ICT personalities. Also with the environment furnished in a standard ICT style, you will feel the spirit n aura of coding when you are around.

@topic, kudos 2 the financial IQ app team, you guys did a great job there and kudos to the winners too. The competition attracts the best of ideas just like the previous competition organized by seedstar and several others in the past.
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by Javanian: 7:57pm On Jul 31, 2013
prodam: @ javanian, actually, what you stand to gain depends on what you want to gain. By default, you gain anything obtainable from being in a community of experienced, smart and exposed programmers and other ICT personalities. Also with the environment furnished in a standard ICT style, you will feel the spirit n aura of coding when you are around.

I heard of paring 30k for membership, what do i stand to gain after paying such apart from the "environment furnished in a standard ICT style". Lets say i have a start up and i need people in my team, do i get such there? if yes, how?
Re: A Nairalander At The Financial Literacy App Challenge Hackathon by prodam(m): 4:21pm On Aug 01, 2013
@javanian, check here for more:

cchubnigeria.com/membership/

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me / Coding Using Your Mobile Phone Only / What Freelancers Should Make Their Clients Understand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.