Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,867 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? (3326 Views)

How Buhari’s Slow Pace Is Affecting The War Against Boko Haram! / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by stanech: 12:09pm On May 26, 2006
Who Do We Blame? Federal Or State Government?

The slow pace of development in the country who do we blame? Federal or State government i need your Opinion. Thanks
Re: Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by Seun(m): 12:29pm On May 26, 2006
In order to make this thread meaningful, you need to what exactly you mean by slow pace of development. Afterall, this is the same Nigeria with the fastest mobile phone adoption rate in the world, and a military that is keeping peace in other African countries. Moreso the most popular West African electronics market is in Nigeria.

My guess is that if you are to itemize these areas where there is a slow pace of development,
- The private sector, including you and me, will be to blame for not being entrepreneural enough.
- The federal government will be to blame for not being agile enough to enforce contracts and the law.
- The state and local governments will be to blame for merely existing. I wish they would just dissappear.
Re: Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by Mariory(m): 12:42pm On May 26, 2006
In my opinion most State Governments are absolutely useless.
Re: Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by my2cents(m): 5:49pm On May 26, 2006
Coming from Akwa Ibom State(AKS), I am going to give Obj the benefit of doubt and say it is the states. AKS gets billions monthly thanks to oil revenues but what does it have to show for it?
Re: Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by owo(m): 11:32am On May 27, 2006
my2cents:

Coming from Akwa Ibom State(AKS), I am going to give Obj the benefit of doubt and say it is the states. AKS gets billions monthly thanks to oil revenues but what does it have to show for it?
If you ask this question, it can be concluded, without doubt, that you have not been to your state in a 'quadrillion' years.

I was there during the following periods
a. 20years ago
b. 10years ago
c. 4years ago
d. last year and early this year.

Having travelled to or stayed in all of  Nigeria's geopolitical regions, I put it to you that your state is one of the very few that is blessed and has lots to show for its funds / resources in the past 4years.

Are you in your people's Ibom forum, both online and maybe physically in Atlanta?

We can talk one on one if you seek proofs.
Re: Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by my2cents(m): 11:43am On May 27, 2006
LOL owo,

I was there last in 2004 and as of yesterday, had an inlaw who just returned, so trust me, I am on ground. In fact, if I land for dia, you go swear say I never leave lagos smiley

To answer your question:

You may be confused with cross-river state. Pple in AKS r so fed up, they are clamoring for Duke to be governor.

- Calabar-Itu road from bridge-head to uyo town is like the footpath to a stream

- Ikot-Ekpene road, the main artery of the city, in my opinion, is constantly waterlogged and now has go-slow

- Pple are paid in arrears

- Secretariat on Abak road, hasn't been maintained since it was built (by another governor)

- Those who have flowing water have it cos of borehole, not water board

- I personally don't call the "Attah's garden" at Ibom connection a sign of development, especially when a tanker has been spotted filling up the water fountains. Shdn't that be water board's responsibility for it to flow via tap?

I can give you more, but I want to await your response. I am not the type to argue based on emotions or religious convictions. I live off facts. As I said, I was last there in 2004 and I have an inlaw who just returned yesterday. I also have numerous family members there connected to cell phones (by the way, will you call someone who has 2 cell phones on his hip, yet has no house or car development?). When I am there, I travel extensively. I dey ground. So, should I believe you who, from your profile, is in Ibadan, or someone who just returned from there yesterday? Trust me, my first questions are along the lines of "how much is garri now? or coke? How about so-so and so road? etc.

Yes, I am on the Ibom chatting forum on www.geocities.com/myibibio but spend most of my time here. I look forward to chatting with you. my YIM is udotot25.

What say you?
Re: Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by owo(m): 11:56am On May 27, 2006
We meet on YIM, I have already sent an invite to you to your messenger, I'm waiting.
Re: Slow Pace Of Development In Nigeria: Who Is To Blame? by stanech: 3:24pm On May 27, 2006
Well I enjoyed your contributions so far and want to tell u guys that you are well on the right points. I posted this topic because of another topic that was posted on this site.

If u look at the development process in the country you will notice that mf that some states are far off better than others. Take Edo and Delta for example

Gov. James Ibori is busy commissioning different projects while his coleague in Benin is doing nothing could you Believe that as culturally and historically rich that Edo state is one the list developed in the country.

Most federal project that were to bring development to these states are highjacked and all the people hear are empty promises.

And these states that refuse to carry out meaningfull developments are the ones thier Governors are clamouring for Presidents Imagine Gov Kalu.

Well they are the ones that made democracy or OBJ's Government unproductive and its SAD.

(1) (Reply)

Beyond What They Told Us... / Pro-biafra Protest: Innocent Woman Shot Dead By The Police / Deja-vu: Does This 2013 Venezuelan News Report Look Familliar? [PIC]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.